Author Topic: Bands you feel you are the only fan of on this forum  (Read 138152 times)

Offline briang

Re: Bands you feel you are the only fan of on this forum
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2009, 10:23:24 AM »
Rosetta
Our job was to select someone to speak for everybody. And I just couldn't in good conscience vote for a person who doesn't believe in God. Someone who honestly thinks the other ninety five percent of us suffer from some form of mass delusion.
-Palmer, Contact

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2009, 10:24:16 AM »
Well, I know me and one other person are the only TRUE fans of Motion of Disturbance. Pretty cool speed/power metal with only guitar and vocals. Probably the best new band this year.  :angel:
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2009, 10:31:22 AM »
Malajube
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2009, 11:06:19 AM »
Malajube's "Labyrinthes" is in my top 15 records for 2009.

https://tinyurl.com/bts6nh

whoever said Fair to Midland, there's a few fans here certainly (Lordixor and myself plus others I suspect) Personally, well, I've seen them live 6 times the last 2 1/2 years and am on their Street Team.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2009, 11:13:58 AM »
Future Of The Left
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »
-At Vance
-Tad Morose

I've got great ABBA covers from these guys. :metalol:
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2009, 11:20:42 AM »
Well I know im the only person that listens to David Sylvian, though I still think a few people here would like him. His solo work is very ambient/relaxing. He has one of the most recognizable and one of my favorite voices in music.

I suggest his album Secrets of the Beehive, and at least listening to one of his more popular songs

Boy with the Gun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgqItiTeYjI

Those of you looking for an album to just relax to after a day at work, or to listne to while sipping wine in front of a fireplace, this may just be it, lol.

P.S.- I also listen to Misery Signals, Rx Bandits
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 03:20:41 PM by Volk9 »
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2009, 11:46:26 AM »
Sounds cool Volk!

Will check it out.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline ehra

« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2009, 11:51:24 AM »
-Tad Morose

o hi!

I know there are some other Styx fans here, not sure how many though. There's also one or two other Lostprophets fans.

Hm.... how about Enuff Z'Nuff (wouldn't surprise me if there were a few here), Flickerstick, Fuel, Aphasia, and Seven Wiser?

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2009, 11:54:20 AM »
Oh wait...

add Ange and Grobschnitt to my list. Two classic underground prog rock bang, the first from France, the second from Germany.
Maybe some German members know about Grobschnitt though.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2009, 11:54:30 AM »
Pendulum

Pendulum is awesome.  The Tempest is an amazing song; I really like that whole album though.

Also Unexpect. I could be wrong though. How many people here at DTF love this mind fuck of a band as well?

:metal Unexpect is ridiculous.  It's almost hard to listen to sometimes.  Aren't they supposed to have a new album coming out soon?

*long as all hell OP*

Funny, I actually rather like CKY.  I only have 3 songs of theirs: Escape From Hellview, Flesh Into Gear, and 96 Quite Bitter Beings.  However, I've always said that I'm going to someday complete their discography because I love each of those three songs a ton.

SOTY I've got a kinda love-hate relationship with.  Sometimes I love Page Avenue and sometimes it bores me to tears, and Black Swan has yet to click with me.  I don't have ITWoD, but I intend to pick it up eventually.

And I Am Ghost...I have a song from We Are Always Searching, called Pretty People Never Lie or something.  I used to like it, not such a fan anymore though.  I might give them a second chance so I can pick up that album you mentioned.  But I'm not really into post-hardcore anymore; it was a really short phase that died with my first relationship.

I'd definitely give ITWoD a chance.  There's more singing on it than Page Avenue, and better songs overall.  Some songs on PA just seem like filler material; on ITWoD, every song is actually pretty good.

As for I Am Ghost, the song you heard is one of their more hardcore sounding ones.  Check these out at see what you think (they're crappy quality cuz of youtube though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BznSF7tZaDQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSOXzmTSJzU

Alexisonfire - Same deal.  I haven't listended to their last two albums, but Alexisonfire and Watch Out! are great.

Go and listen to Crisis nao!  I actually don't really like their first two albums, but I think Crisis is great.  I've listened to their newest album a little bit; I don't have much of an opinion yet on it.
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline icarus4321

« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2009, 12:43:27 PM »

Alexisonfire - Same deal.  I haven't listended to their last two albums, but Alexisonfire and Watch Out! are great.

Go and listen to Crisis nao!  I actually don't really like their first two albums, but I think Crisis is great.  I've listened to their newest album a little bit; I don't have much of an opinion yet on it.

I'll definitely give it a listen.  I've been meaning to for years.  Not really sure why I haven't already.
Please check out our band, Agora Forte, www.reverbnation.com/agoraforte

My last.fm Profile

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2009, 01:06:58 PM »
Dream Theater.

:biggrin:

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2009, 02:16:05 PM »
In that case...

Bic Runga - She is amazing.  I was first hooked after hearing her orchestral version of Bob Dylan's "One More Cup of Coffee".  She took an already amazing song with a fantastic narrative and gave it so much more emotion, it still gives me chills.  Favourite tracks are probably Drive, Election Night, When I See You Smile, Bursting Through.  Awesome music for so many different moods.

:lol I know I'm definately NOT the only fan, I just felt like having a rant.
HELL YEAH BIC RUNGA!!!!  :metal  :metal  :metal

I still haven't heard her album with the orchestra (and now I know there's a Bob Dylan song on it, the length of time til I buy it has probably been halved). I was planning on buying it before I split NZ, as I listened to HEAPS of Bic when I was away last time, and I could use a boost.

A lot of my favourites are her gloomier songs - the Birds/Ruby Nights combo, Captured, Delight, Bursting Through, All Falls Down - but one of her big pluses is she writes brilliant songs in all sorts of tones. As I've said before, When I See You Smile sits tied as my favourite song ever. I love it so much, and I couldn't begin to explain why.

Having said that, Fat Freddys are quite something.

I haven't even heard Birds, lazy eh?  I have Drive, Beautiful Collision and Live With The CSO.  I will have to get a hold of her newer stuff...

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2009, 02:17:20 PM »
Ihsahn
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2009, 02:18:35 PM »
edit:  Dammit, wrong thread

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
  • Waiting for the new Threshold album.
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2009, 02:22:56 PM »
Vampire Weekend - I don't really know how to describe this band.
Vampire Weekend are pretty great. Their album is still the best album I've heard from last year, I think.

The White Stripes - "Oh, that Meg White, she's so shit!".  Ugh.  Meg White is a rubbish drummer, but without her, the Stripes wouldnt be the Stripes.  Jack White is an absolute monster on the guitar, and the energy the both of them poot forth live is outstanding.  Hit up Youtube for Seven Nation Army/Death Letter at the Grammys for an example of the sheer awesomeness (Tarantino applauds at the end while P-Diddy stands around playing with his balls), Jacks slide playing with the Big Muff/Whammy combination is so crazy and original it still feels fresh today, 10+ years after their inception.
There's a few people on here who like the White Stripes, I remember JoeBob being a fan. I quite like them, I don't have any of their albums though, I always just listened to them through my brother, who is nuts on them. He's seen them live twice.

other than that the obvious choice of Counting Crows, one of my favorite bands is never ever mentioned here (HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE surprise),
I quite like the Counting Crows. August and Everything After is amazing, of course, but past that, I've only checked out their Best Of, and based on that, the only other album I'm interested in checking out is This Desert Life or whatever it's called. I'm also interested in their latest one though, that sounds interesting.

A few bands for me:

Atomic Rooster - these guys don't have a lot of great material, but they're pretty good. Early '70s band, I'd place their sound somewhere between ELP, The Doors, and Black Sabbath. Death Walks Behind You from 1970 is a real good album.

Gnarls Barkley - everyone should know who these guys are. Their second album wasn't too good, but St Elsewhere is incredible.

The Strokes - Room on Fire is one of my favourite albums ever, and their other albums are damn good.

And last but not least, Fat Freddy's Drop, probably my most played band in the last year, and the band who have possibly overtaken Bic Runga as my favourite New Zealand artist (gasp!). The mix of genres these guys achieve is insane, and generally, when people list them, it seems quite wank wank, but at the very least, there is a good amount of reggae, electronic, soul and jazz in their sound. For anyone interested, their myspace is fairly well set up.
I'm a big Atomic Rooster fan.  They've got a couple of goofy looking guys.
It was there right before our eyes, we were blind not to realize
In the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom
We forgot how to criticize, we were scared to be demonized
As the truth was neutralized we lost the art of reason.

- Threshold "The Art of Reason"

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2009, 02:23:41 PM »
Also Unexpect. I could be wrong though. How many people here at DTF love this mind fuck of a band as well?
:metal Unexpect is ridiculous.  It's almost hard to listen to sometimes.  Aren't they supposed to have a new album coming out soon?
This is the first I've heard of that, but shit, now I'm gonna start doing a little of my own research. I just ordered their first album Utopia from their website, and it just shipped today. God damn I can't get enough of their music.
 :metal :metal :metal
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
  • Waiting for the new Threshold album.
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2009, 02:24:13 PM »
Threshold
Lucas Martin
Starcastle
It was there right before our eyes, we were blind not to realize
In the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom
We forgot how to criticize, we were scared to be demonized
As the truth was neutralized we lost the art of reason.

- Threshold "The Art of Reason"

Offline Shadoshi

• Slave of Dimitrius
  • Co-dependent much?
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2009, 02:40:46 PM »
My second favorite band: Can

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can_(band)

Offline lawl

« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2009, 03:05:58 PM »
sky high, small swedish blues band

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2009, 03:15:41 PM »
I haven't even heard Birds, lazy eh?  I have Drive, Beautiful Collision and Live With The CSO.  I will have to get a hold of her newer stuff...
I think of all her albums, Birds is probably my least favourite overall, but it's still VERY good, she pushes her sound, and there are a handful of songs where she and her band for this one really push the instrumental aspect of her music in particular.

Exhibit A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36SLHLXvBVg&feature=related

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2009, 03:18:47 PM »
I haven't even heard Birds, lazy eh?  I have Drive, Beautiful Collision and Live With The CSO.  I will have to get a hold of her newer stuff...
I think of all her albums, Birds is probably my least favourite overall, but it's still VERY good

Do you have the album of outtakes/bsides etc?  Looks interesting.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2009, 03:27:03 PM »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline oh8wrx

• The Sassy Lass from Sassafrass
  • I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2009, 05:27:45 PM »
Jorn Lande-he did 2 albums with russell allen, but his solo stuff is rockin! He did a couple covers which were great...

i might not be the only fan, but he's not that popular.
Beer: the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems.

Offline MindRuler

« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2009, 05:39:04 PM »
Jorn Lande-he did 2 albums with russell allen, but his solo stuff is rockin! He did a couple covers which were great...

i might not be the only fan, but he's not that popular.

Jorn is my 2nd favorite singer out there. I love the Allen/lande CDs and his solo stuff, but his 2 albums with Masterplan are my favorites. Both would finish in my top 30-50 favorite albums of all-time. Jorn could sing the phone book and I'd love it. Oh, his performance on Avantasia's The Scarecrow is also pretty amazing.
08/16: King's X + lazarus
09/09: Edguy
09/12: Primal Fear
09/23: Stratovarius + Pagans Mind
10/30: Tesla
4/30-5/3: Triton Power Cruise

https://www.necromancetheband.com
https://www.wpapu.com

Offline oh8wrx

• I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2009, 05:42:54 PM »
hahahaha! that would be interesting to hear...
how'd you like the covers he did?

and rumor has it that he doesnt warm up his voice before performing: fact or fiction?

Offline MindRuler

« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2009, 05:54:07 PM »
I pretty much love all of the covers he's done. I'd generally not even bother listening to most artists' covers albums, but I love his. I especially love anything he's done pertaining to Thin lizzy, Dio, Deep Purple, and Whitesnake.

As for that rumor, I have no clue, haha.
08/16: King's X + lazarus
09/09: Edguy
09/12: Primal Fear
09/23: Stratovarius + Pagans Mind
10/30: Tesla
4/30-5/3: Triton Power Cruise

https://www.necromancetheband.com
https://www.wpapu.com

Offline oh8wrx

• I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2009, 06:05:11 PM »
loved the dio cover! there are a couple times in the song where you can just hear the dio-demon being summoned to jorn's voice, hahah, and yes, whitesnake cover was fantastic.  he's [obviously] very much influenced by those bands.  i found the bad company cover to be SO much better then the original track (by BC) and would listen to it any day over the orig.

Offline brodgers

« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2009, 06:41:53 PM »
Even if I'm not the only fan of the following bands, I can pretty much guarantee I am certainly the biggest here:

-Seventh Wonder

I only have Mercy Falls, but it is fantastic.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2009, 06:44:18 PM »
Devildriver.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2009, 07:41:03 PM »
I thought this would be an interesting topic to spark some discussion.  What are some bands you feel that you are alone in liking on this forum?

These are some bands that I've never really seen mentioned in any thread, or when I've brought them up for one reason or another, I've gotten no response/comment about them.  So in this thread, post any bands that fit this description for you, and if another user posts a band you listen to, let them know!  If you feel like it, give a description of each band you list; maybe some people can pick up some new music out of this thread as well (my descriptions rambled on a bit because I'm bored, but oh well).

Edguy is sweet. Very Iron Maiden-ish, but with double bass added in.

CKY: Despite their relation to Bam Margera and all his goofyness, this is a pretty solid band.  I would call them experimental modern rock.  They have a pretty unique sound.  I recommend Infiltrate Destroy Rebuild.  It's a really solid album.  A pretty quick listen as well, but a good ride.

Cosmosquad: A three-piece fusion project that incorporates a lot of different styles into their music.  Jeff Kollman is one of my favorite guitarists (he changes in and out of #1); he has a unique style and really emotive solos.  Check out their live album Live at the Baked Potato to see what they're all about.

Edguy: German power metal at its best.  Their vocalist is one of my favorites (and I usually don't like power metal vox).  Most of their music is serious, but usually every album has one or two less serious, fun loving songs.  Check out Rocket Ride; I think it's their best CD.

I Am Ghost: They're a gothic punk rock band with some hardcore influence, and before you skip reading the rest of this, I suggest giving them a chance.  Their second album, Lover's Requiem, is a great album.  At that time, they were a six piece, and had a girl in the band that played violin, piano, and sang.  I usually hate female vox in metal, but I love these ones.  The album is a themed album, relating to vampires and stuff like that.. if you can look past that (for the people that just went eww), you might like it. The songwriting is great, and includes a lot of cool stuff to keep it interesting.

Misery Signals: Their a modern hardcore band, but their music is pretty technical and includes a lot of odd meters (most of which fly by you; they can be hard to count).  I saw them live when they opened for Protest the Hero, and they put on a great show.  If you like modern metal and can tolerate growls/screams, you will probably like them.  Check out their newest album, Controller.

Rx Bandits: A band that started out more as punk, but evolved into more of a ska-rock group.  I recommend their album The Resignation.  It varies in style from punk, to reggae, to ska, to progressive rock.  Throw in some odd meters and catchy songwriting and you have a great album.

Story of the Year: This band kind of got caught in the big hardcore/screamo/whatever movement back in the early 2000's.  Their first album fit into that sound, but their others branch out into a broader rock sound (but maintain a punk influenced background).  Check out In the Wake of Determination.  I think it's their strongest album; the songwriting is good, the vocal melodies are great to sing along to, and there's even a few songs with unusual meters thrown in.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2009, 08:06:45 PM »
Even if I'm not the only fan of the following bands, I can pretty much guarantee I am certainly the biggest here:

-Vanishing Point

I have all their albums, which are a pain to get in the states.

Threshold

Ditto, including live albums, although not hard to get in the states. 

I'd like to add:
Demons & Wizards - first album especially
Gordian Knot - Two of my top 10 instrumental albums
Henning Pauly & all his side projects - amazing stuff, JLB sings on his Babysteps album, and his first Frameshift album
Ice Age - Good ol' Magna Carta label prog rock band that changed their name and tried to sell out, and then sucked...
Royal Hunt - particularly the D.C. Cooper years.  Currently the singer for Silent Force
The Tangent reminicent of 70s prog.  Good chill music.
Tiles - Think Rush, with a more conventional sounding voice.  Alex Lifeson did a cameo on their last album
Tony MacAlpine - Amazing guitar player, Maximum Security is my second favorite instrumental album (LTE1 is #1 for reference)
Warrel Dane - Very good album from Nevermore singer.  Check it out if you like Nevermore
White Zombie - groove metal at its finest
Wuthering Heights - Scandanavian prog metal

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2009, 08:08:34 PM »

-Vanishing Point

I have all their albums, which are a pain to get in the states.

Threshold

Ditto, including live albums, although not hard to get in the states. 

I'd like to add:
Demons & Wizards - first album especially
Gordian Knot - Two of my top 10 instrumental albums
Henning Pauly & all his side projects - amazing stuff, JLB sings on his Babysteps album, and his first Frameshift album
Ice Age - Good ol' Magna Carta label prog rock band that changed their name and tried to sell out, and then sucked...
Royal Hunt - particularly the D.C. Cooper years.  Currently the singer for Silent Force
The Tangent reminicent of 70s prog.  Good chill music.
Tiles - Think Rush, with a more conventional sounding voice.  Alex Lifeson did a cameo on their last album
Tony MacAlpine - Amazing guitar player, Maximum Security is my second favorite instrumental album (LTE1 is #1 for reference)
Warrel Dane - Very good album from Nevermore singer.  Check it out if you like Nevermore
White Zombie - groove metal at its finest
Wuthering Heights - Scandanavian prog metal
White Zombie and Warrel Dane  :metal

What's your favourite WZ album?
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2009, 08:13:38 PM »
What's your favourite WZ album?

I know it's their most famous one, but I have to go with La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume 1 because it was one of the first metal bands I discovered on my own.  That, and Black Sunshine is one of the greatest driving songs ever.