Author Topic: Bands you feel you are the only fan of on this forum  (Read 138135 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Bands you feel you are the only fan of on this forum
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2009, 11:45:17 PM »
As Blood Runs Black: One of my favorite bands, I've heard a couple people saying they have Allegiance, but nothing positive about them. They're deathcore, and I find the music to be interesting and the lyrics to be good.

I just got Allegiance the other day actually. It's pretty good, though rather samey. Hester Prynne is fucking awesome.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2009, 11:54:40 PM »
Haha, funny your first band was the second one that popped into my head. CKY and H.I.M., for sure, other than that the obvious choice of Counting Crows, one of my favorite bands is never ever mentioned here (HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE surprise), as well as The Killers (I think I've heard a bit, but no one proclaiming themselves to be a fan). Besides those bands, I hear a pretty consistent stream of info on bands that I thought I'd never heard in this forum. But yeah, I don't expect to see any topics on CC anytime soon.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2009, 11:57:55 PM »
Probably Dir en grey.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline MindRuler

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2009, 12:16:57 AM »
Even if I'm not the only fan of the following bands, I can pretty much guarantee I am certainly the biggest here:

-Dungeon
-Vanishing Point
-Seventh Wonder
-Bloodbound
-At Vance
-Cornerstone
-Tad Morose
-Galloglass
-Hibria
08/16: King's X + lazarus
09/09: Edguy
09/12: Primal Fear
09/23: Stratovarius + Pagans Mind
10/30: Tesla
4/30-5/3: Triton Power Cruise

https://www.necromancetheband.com
https://www.wpapu.com

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2009, 12:26:03 AM »
For a long time I thought it was The Jam, but someone else recently recognized a stanza of lyrics I posted. They're a great UK band from the late 70's/early 80's. Hard to explain their sound. The first album sounds a lot like early Who with more punk, and the last album is new wave. The albums in between are pretty much on a continuum between those genres, and are excellent.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 12:28:19 AM »

CKY: Despite their relation to Bam Margera and all his goofyness, this is a pretty solid band.  I would call them experimental modern rock.  They have a pretty unique sound.  I recommend Infiltrate Destroy Rebuild.  It's a really solid album.  A pretty quick listen as well, but a good ride.

i just saw them last week, and think they were great live, so you may not be alone in this.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2009, 01:00:00 AM »
Vampire Weekend - I don't really know how to describe this band.
Vampire Weekend are pretty great. Their album is still the best album I've heard from last year, I think.

The White Stripes - "Oh, that Meg White, she's so shit!".  Ugh.  Meg White is a rubbish drummer, but without her, the Stripes wouldnt be the Stripes.  Jack White is an absolute monster on the guitar, and the energy the both of them poot forth live is outstanding.  Hit up Youtube for Seven Nation Army/Death Letter at the Grammys for an example of the sheer awesomeness (Tarantino applauds at the end while P-Diddy stands around playing with his balls), Jacks slide playing with the Big Muff/Whammy combination is so crazy and original it still feels fresh today, 10+ years after their inception.
There's a few people on here who like the White Stripes, I remember JoeBob being a fan. I quite like them, I don't have any of their albums though, I always just listened to them through my brother, who is nuts on them. He's seen them live twice.

other than that the obvious choice of Counting Crows, one of my favorite bands is never ever mentioned here (HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE surprise),
I quite like the Counting Crows. August and Everything After is amazing, of course, but past that, I've only checked out their Best Of, and based on that, the only other album I'm interested in checking out is This Desert Life or whatever it's called. I'm also interested in their latest one though, that sounds interesting.

A few bands for me:

Atomic Rooster - these guys don't have a lot of great material, but they're pretty good. Early '70s band, I'd place their sound somewhere between ELP, The Doors, and Black Sabbath. Death Walks Behind You from 1970 is a real good album.

Gnarls Barkley - everyone should know who these guys are. Their second album wasn't too good, but St Elsewhere is incredible.

The Strokes - Room on Fire is one of my favourite albums ever, and their other albums are damn good.

And last but not least, Fat Freddy's Drop, probably my most played band in the last year, and the band who have possibly overtaken Bic Runga as my favourite New Zealand artist (gasp!). The mix of genres these guys achieve is insane, and generally, when people list them, it seems quite wank wank, but at the very least, there is a good amount of reggae, electronic, soul and jazz in their sound. For anyone interested, their myspace is fairly well set up.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2009, 03:04:21 AM »
This City Sunrise - I know for sure that I am the only fan on these boards.  Their music is raw, powerful and fun.  How can I describe their sound?  Well, its like Fear Before, The Deftones and Converge having a Sega Master System party with Tears for Fears whilst munching on Vegan snacks.  Both their eps are available for download from their website and they are on tour with Fear Before in Australia for the next month or so.

that was actually a pretty good description of them  :lol  i'm liking what i'm hearing so far

:lol glad to hear!

Yep, as you know I downloaded them a few months back per your suggestions to poseidon. I have both their EPs on my comp, and both are awesome.

As for me:

Fair To Midland

Elvenking

Hurt
(besides dcrupi, but I still felt the need to put them)

Pendulum

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2009, 03:11:07 AM »
For a long time I thought it was The Jam, but someone else recently recognized a stanza of lyrics I posted. They're a great UK band from the late 70's/early 80's. Hard to explain their sound. The first album sounds a lot like early Who with more punk, and the last album is new wave. The albums in between are pretty much on a continuum between those genres, and are excellent.

I believe it was me who recognized it (Down In The Tube Station At Midnight). Yeah they were a great band, had brilliant singles (Going Underground is my favourite) and I think they ended their carreer too soon. I haven't followed Paul Weller's carreer after this, but I believe he went on a more R&B/soul style that I'm not that interested in.

Anyone interested in The Jam should listen to the compilation album "Snap!" or pick up "All Mod Cons". I'm not too fond of their two first albums, it's too punk for my taste.

Recommended songs:

Going Underground
Down In The Tube Station At Midnight
The Eton Rifles
A Town Called Malice (perhaps their most well known song)
That's Entertainment
Smithers-Jones
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2009, 03:11:37 AM »

And last but not least, Fat Freddy's Drop, probably my most played band in the last year, and the band who have possibly overtaken Bic Runga as my favourite New Zealand artist (gasp!).

In that case...

Bic Runga - She is amazing.  I was first hooked after hearing her orchestral version of Bob Dylan's "One More Cup of Coffee".  She took an already amazing song with a fantastic narrative and gave it so much more emotion, it still gives me chills.  Favourite tracks are probably Drive, Election Night, When I See You Smile, Bursting Through.  Awesome music for so many different moods.

:lol I know I'm definately NOT the only fan, I just felt like having a rant.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2009, 03:19:10 AM »
Theocracy. Seriously, why aren't these guys more well known? Is it because they are christian power/prog metal?

Either way, I love these guys. Matt Smith is in incredible vocalist with so many different ranges of talent.

Also Unexpect. I could be wrong though. How many people here at DTF love this mind fuck of a band as well?
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2009, 03:28:39 AM »
Dog Fasion Disco (Lasers likes them as well but he's never on here these days)
Dun Ringle (I know this one is a sure because they're from Stornoway :P)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2009, 03:45:10 AM »
Mando Diao perhaps? A Swedish rockband with classic 60's influences (Stones, Beatles, The Who etc). I don't know how big they are in the US, but in Europe they are pretty big. They've done five albums since their debut in 2002, and my favourites are 'Hurricane Bar' and 'Ode To Ochrasy'.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2009, 03:48:14 AM »
In that case...

Bic Runga - She is amazing.  I was first hooked after hearing her orchestral version of Bob Dylan's "One More Cup of Coffee".  She took an already amazing song with a fantastic narrative and gave it so much more emotion, it still gives me chills.  Favourite tracks are probably Drive, Election Night, When I See You Smile, Bursting Through.  Awesome music for so many different moods.

:lol I know I'm definately NOT the only fan, I just felt like having a rant.
HELL YEAH BIC RUNGA!!!!  :metal  :metal  :metal

I still haven't heard her album with the orchestra (and now I know there's a Bob Dylan song on it, the length of time til I buy it has probably been halved). I was planning on buying it before I split NZ, as I listened to HEAPS of Bic when I was away last time, and I could use a boost.

A lot of my favourites are her gloomier songs - the Birds/Ruby Nights combo, Captured, Delight, Bursting Through, All Falls Down - but one of her big pluses is she writes brilliant songs in all sorts of tones. As I've said before, When I See You Smile sits tied as my favourite song ever. I love it so much, and I couldn't begin to explain why.

Having said that, Fat Freddys are quite something.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2009, 03:49:06 AM »
Runrig, obviously.
kettcar - although I wouldn't describe myself as a fan of that band, but I enjoy their music.
Vangelis - not a fan either, but I love the atmosphere he creates.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2009, 04:07:49 AM »
Ikuinen Kaamos
I was a big fan of them. Not so much into metal anymore though.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2009, 05:18:39 AM »
Esben and the Witch
Twin Atlantic
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2009, 05:59:25 AM »
*long as all hell OP*

Funny, I actually rather like CKY.  I only have 3 songs of theirs: Escape From Hellview, Flesh Into Gear, and 96 Quite Bitter Beings.  However, I've always said that I'm going to someday complete their discography because I love each of those three songs a ton.

SOTY I've got a kinda love-hate relationship with.  Sometimes I love Page Avenue and sometimes it bores me to tears, and Black Swan has yet to click with me.  I don't have ITWoD, but I intend to pick it up eventually.

And I Am Ghost...I have a song from We Are Always Searching, called Pretty People Never Lie or something.  I used to like it, not such a fan anymore though.  I might give them a second chance so I can pick up that album you mentioned.  But I'm not really into post-hardcore anymore; it was a really short phase that died with my first relationship.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2009, 06:20:26 AM »
Also Unexpect. I could be wrong though. How many people here at DTF love this mind fuck of a band as well?

I've only just started listening to Unexpect...in preparation for PN in a few weeks...pretty awesome
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2009, 07:23:23 AM »
Ikuinen Kaamos
I was a big fan of them. Not so much into metal anymore though.

Have you heard the Closure EP? It's quite different from The Forlorn. 
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2009, 07:25:14 AM »
Goo Goo Dolls
Europe
Lordi

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2009, 07:38:24 AM »
Goo Goo Dolls
Europe
Lordi

You and me then.  :tup

Offline icarus4321

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2009, 07:53:13 AM »
Atreyu - I started listening to them right after Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses came out.  I'm not particularly fond of the stuff that they have come out w/ recently, but Suicide Notes and The Curse are two of my favorite albums.  I get a big smile on my face everytime Blood Children rolls into Bleeding Mascara.

boysetsfire - I started listening to them in high school too and it was exactly what I needed at that point.  After the Eulogy, Tomorrow Come Today, and The Misery Index are all great albums.  

Alexisonfire - Same deal.  I haven't listended to their last two albums, but Alexisonfire and Watch Out! are great.

Whitesnake - This was my first favorite band, at the ripe old age of 3!  I was a huge fan of Here I Go Again and Still of the Night when that album came out.  I can't count how many times we played that tape.  It still holds a special place in my collection.
Please check out our band, Agora Forte, www.reverbnation.com/agoraforte

My last.fm Profile

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2009, 08:05:04 AM »
There are definitely other Whitesnake fans on the forum. I went to see them when they were here a year ago. :hat
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2009, 08:07:22 AM »
I like Cake and Fair to Midland quite a bit, so you guys aren't the only ones!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2009, 08:08:47 AM »
Kaki King - I've been a fan of her since I first heard of her 3 years ago. Her acoustic albums are unbelievable. She then went with a full band and while that album wasn't the greatest it certainly was decent. At that point I was giving up but then she released "Dreaming of Revenge" which was a great album with great instrumentation and then yesterday I just got her new EP "Mexican Teenagers" and that is just great, it's like a heavier From Monument To Masses.

Erik Mongrain - His first cd wasn't the greatest but it was so damn interesting for an acoustic instrumental point of view. Then he released a second account called Equilibrium and it's just amazing, much better compositional work.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2009, 08:12:54 AM »
I bet I'm the only one here that listens to Hanson.  Not old Hanson, new Hanson.  "The Walk" from 2007 is a really good cd.  It's too bad these guys started their careers the way they did, because they are very musically talented.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2009, 08:18:25 AM »
-Vanishing Point
I live in Melbourne and love progressive metal so I know these guys  :D

I'll say Agalloch. I am not the only who likes them on this forum, probably just the only one who is an obvious fan of them  :)
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2009, 08:55:48 AM »
El Perro del Mar

Gogol Bordello

Offline Serpentor

• I am faster than 80% of all snakes
  • DT.net Member
  • I don't want a large Farva, I want a liter of cola
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
Turbonegro and possibly Static X
Dear Santa,
Please kill Icy for Christmas.

Love,

Everyone

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2009, 09:15:05 AM »
Yours. Miss May I.
Cool. They are pretty good. :tup
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2009, 09:34:26 AM »
Turbonegro and possibly Static X
Iain listens to them and he is a member of the forum :neverusethis:

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2009, 09:37:13 AM »
John Mayer - My favorite songwriter and a hell of a guitarist to boot. It's a shame a lot of people don't give him a fair chance because of a few songs they heard on the radio. The guy is the real deal.

John Mayer is incredible.  Neon is possibly in my top 20 favorite songs ever.

Hurt [/b] (besides dcrupi, but I still felt the need to put them)

:-*

I'll say:

Ra: Mainstream rock with a funk to it...they have a sort of Middle-Eastern flair to their music that makes them really unique.  Underrated beyond belief, Ra has incredible music; beautiful soaring melodies, crunchy guitars and generally really inspiring lyrics.  

Here's the Myspace: https://www.myspace.com/ramusic  I recommend listening to: Fallen Angels, Don't Turn Away, Do You Call My Name (this was their only real hit)

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2009, 10:15:41 AM »
Bass Communion
Current 93 (not a real fan, but I really like what I've heard so far)
Steve Roach
Robert Rich
Klaus Schulze

and other minimal/electronic artists

Mono - true japanese post rock
no-man - never seen another fan around here, but they make wonderful music
Fantomas - Mike Patton's crazy project, they've made great cd's full of instrumental madness and randomness
Spastic Ink - Ron and Bobby Jarzombek's baby. Made 2 great cd's, The Dance Of Eternity on steriods, 2 cd's long.
The Vision Bleak - I don't get why others don't love this, dark straight ahead metal. Metallica-esque rhythms but a lot darker.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.