Author Topic: Bands you feel you are the only fan of on this forum  (Read 138018 times)

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
Bands you feel you are the only fan of on this forum
« on: August 10, 2009, 09:36:08 PM »
I thought this would be an interesting topic to spark some discussion.  What are some bands you feel that you are alone in liking on this forum?

These are some bands that I've never really seen mentioned in any thread, or when I've brought them up for one reason or another, I've gotten no response/comment about them.  So in this thread, post any bands that fit this description for you, and if another user posts a band you listen to, let them know!  If you feel like it, give a description of each band you list; maybe some people can pick up some new music out of this thread as well (my descriptions rambled on a bit because I'm bored, but oh well).

CKY: Despite their relation to Bam Margera and all his goofyness, this is a pretty solid band.  I would call them experimental modern rock.  They have a pretty unique sound.  I recommend Infiltrate Destroy Rebuild.  It's a really solid album.  A pretty quick listen as well, but a good ride.

Cosmosquad: A three-piece fusion project that incorporates a lot of different styles into their music.  Jeff Kollman is one of my favorite guitarists (he changes in and out of #1); he has a unique style and really emotive solos.  Check out their live album Live at the Baked Potato to see what they're all about.

Edguy: German power metal at its best.  Their vocalist is one of my favorites (and I usually don't like power metal vox).  Most of their music is serious, but usually every album has one or two less serious, fun loving songs.  Check out Rocket Ride; I think it's their best CD.

I Am Ghost: They're a gothic punk rock band with some hardcore influence, and before you skip reading the rest of this, I suggest giving them a chance.  Their second album, Lover's Requiem, is a great album.  At that time, they were a six piece, and had a girl in the band that played violin, piano, and sang.  I usually hate female vox in metal, but I love these ones.  The album is a themed album, relating to vampires and stuff like that.. if you can look past that (for the people that just went eww), you might like it. The songwriting is great, and includes a lot of cool stuff to keep it interesting.

Misery Signals: Their a modern hardcore band, but their music is pretty technical and includes a lot of odd meters (most of which fly by you; they can be hard to count).  I saw them live when they opened for Protest the Hero, and they put on a great show.  If you like modern metal and can tolerate growls/screams, you will probably like them.  Check out their newest album, Controller.

Rx Bandits: A band that started out more as punk, but evolved into more of a ska-rock group.  I recommend their album The Resignation.  It varies in style from punk, to reggae, to ska, to progressive rock.  Throw in some odd meters and catchy songwriting and you have a great album.

Story of the Year: This band kind of got caught in the big hardcore/screamo/whatever movement back in the early 2000's.  Their first album fit into that sound, but their others branch out into a broader rock sound (but maintain a punk influenced background).  Check out In the Wake of Determination.  I think it's their strongest album; the songwriting is good, the vocal melodies are great to sing along to, and there's even a few songs with unusual meters thrown in.
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Bands you feel you are the only fan of on this forum
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 09:38:40 PM »
Eisley: Female-fronted indie rock. Great harmonies, great lyrics, great songs.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 09:41:57 PM »
Eisley: Female-fronted indie rock. Great harmonies, great lyrics, great songs.

I have a friend who is the biggest indie-head on Earth. And he has a huge awesome beard to prove it. Therefore I listen to Eisley every few days whether I want to or not.  :lol

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 09:44:17 PM »
 :lol I generally dislike indie rock, mainly cause so much of it is incredibly samey, but there are some really great bands out there too.

Offline tbw2445

• I live a life based on good intentions...
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 09:46:45 PM »
I enjoy Story Of The Year. Especially this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BA20jt-FzQ.  Maybe I might be the only one that likes Jimmy Eat World, but know knows.
i'm learning all about my life by looking through her eyes

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 09:46:49 PM »
Joanna Newsom - Sure, her voice is a little annoying at first and takes a little getting used to, but once you get past this you'll realise the beauty of her words and the delivery of them.  Hands down the only music I've heard that has ever brought me close to tears.  Anyone who's into the beauty of lyrics will appreciate this x1000.  Get Ys now and listen to it the whole way through.

This City Sunrise - I know for sure that I am the only fan on these boards.  Their music is raw, powerful and fun.  How can I describe their sound?  Well, its like Fear Before, The Deftones and Converge having a Sega Master System party with Tears for Fears whilst munching on Vegan snacks.  Both their eps are available for download from their website and they are on tour with Fear Before in Australia for the next month or so.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 09:48:19 PM »
This City Sunrise - I know for sure that I am the only fan on these boards.  Their music is raw, powerful and fun.  How can I describe their sound?  Well, its like Fear Before, The Deftones and Converge having a Sega Master System party with Tears for Fears whilst munching on Vegan snacks.  Both their eps are available for download from their website and they are on tour with Fear Before in Australia for the next month or so.

sounds interesting. i'll check them out (i like fear before and converge a lot)
My Soundclick Page

Offline brodgers

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 09:50:09 PM »
Misery Signals: Their a modern hardcore band, but their music is pretty technical and includes a lot of odd meters (most of which fly by you; they can be hard to count).  I saw them live when they opened for Protest the Hero, and they put on a great show.  If you like modern metal and can tolerate growls/screams, you will probably like them.  Check out their newest album, Controller.

I only have Controller, but its a pretty solid album.  The singer's from my hometown.

For me, I'd say probably:

Miseration: fantastic melodic death metal with ex-Scar Symmetry Vocalist Christian Avelstam

also I'd say Collective Soul (Their '94 s/t is AMAZING) but there's probably some old-time fans here in the woodwork.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 09:50:53 PM »
Matt Oree Band,
Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band,
Cake,
Wise Monkey Orchestra,
Lit,
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 09:52:25 PM »
This City Sunrise - I know for sure that I am the only fan on these boards.  Their music is raw, powerful and fun.  How can I describe their sound?  Well, its like Fear Before, The Deftones and Converge having a Sega Master System party with Tears for Fears whilst munching on Vegan snacks.  Both their eps are available for download from their website and they are on tour with Fear Before in Australia for the next month or so.

And I shall check out Misery Signals and Story of the Year.  If I recall correctly, you had a hand in introducing me to SikTh so I know your brain is good at music :tup

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 09:53:01 PM »
Ikuinen Kaamos
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 10:01:04 PM »
This City Sunrise - I know for sure that I am the only fan on these boards.  Their music is raw, powerful and fun.  How can I describe their sound?  Well, its like Fear Before, The Deftones and Converge having a Sega Master System party with Tears for Fears whilst munching on Vegan snacks.  Both their eps are available for download from their website and they are on tour with Fear Before in Australia for the next month or so.

And I shall check out Misery Signals and Story of the Year.  If I recall correctly, you had a hand in introducing me to SikTh so I know your brain is good at music :tup

ha nice.  I've introduced at least 10-15 people to SikTh; I just lent out a copy of DoaDD to someone a couple weeks ago (and I hope he keeps it; the extra copies I have should be being listened to by someone).
My Soundclick Page

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 10:04:07 PM »
John Mayer - My favorite songwriter and a hell of a guitarist to boot. It's a shame a lot of people don't give him a fair chance because of a few songs they heard on the radio. The guy is the real deal.

Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst - Oberst produces my favorite folk rock. I prefer his more recent stuff, but his lyrics are always thoughtful, and the orchestration on his later albums are great.

She & Him - Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward join forces to create some awesome, retro-inspired rock.

Vampire Weekend - I don't really know how to describe this band.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 10:05:40 PM »
John Mayer is awesome.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 10:06:29 PM »
I think I'm the only Jimmy Buffet fan on the forum.

Offline TL

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 10:08:09 PM »
Mind's Eye
Their album "A Gentleman's Hurricane" kicks ass, yet I never see them mentioned, even here on a forum with so many prog fans.

Offline JRT

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 10:08:51 PM »
Anal Cunt- really powerful and emotional songs.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 10:10:23 PM »
Oh shit I forgot:

The White Stripes - "Oh, that Meg White, she's so shit!".  Ugh.  Meg White is a rubbish drummer, but without her, the Stripes wouldnt be the Stripes.  Jack White is an absolute monster on the guitar, and the energy the both of them poot forth live is outstanding.  Hit up Youtube for Seven Nation Army/Death Letter at the Grammys for an example of the sheer awesomeness (Tarantino applauds at the end while P-Diddy stands around playing with his balls), Jacks slide playing with the Big Muff/Whammy combination is so crazy and original it still feels fresh today, 10+ years after their inception.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 10:11:54 PM »
John Mayer is awesome.

As a musician, definately.  But the guy himself just seems like such a pretentious git.  I played Continuum on repeat for months back in 2006, its a fantastic album.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 10:15:11 PM »
John Mayer is awesome.

As a musician, definately.  But the guy himself just seems like such a pretentious git.  I played Continuum on repeat for months back in 2006, its a fantastic album.

I don't get that vibe at all. A bit eccentric maybe, but I don't think pretentious. He seems very down to earth to me.

Glad to see other fans here!

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 10:17:38 PM »

that was actually a pretty good description of them  :lol  i'm liking what i'm hearing so far
My Soundclick Page

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 10:18:07 PM »
I like Misery Signals and RX Bandits.

:P

Sting: Most of you have heard of him, not sure if many like him.
What's He Building In There: Experimental metal, they have some odd things going on in most of their songs, and I love it. Check out the song Avian Taxi
Yyrkoon: Really solid death metal, not much else to say besides that. Check out the album Occult Medicine.
Mephiskapheles: Awesome ska, some really funny things in the songs, just an overall great sound. Check out God Bless Satan.
Iron & Wine: Calming acoustic shit, yo.
As Blood Runs Black: One of my favorite bands, I've heard a couple people saying they have Allegiance, but nothing positive about them. They're deathcore, and I find the music to be interesting and the lyrics to be good.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 10:18:39 PM »
John Mayer is awesome.

As a musician, definately.  But the guy himself just seems like such a pretentious git.  I played Continuum on repeat for months back in 2006, its a fantastic album.

I don't get that vibe at all. A bit eccentric maybe, but I don't think pretentious. He seems very down to earth to me.

Glad to see other fans here!

In fact, I flopped out his version of Bold as Love for a music assessment back in high school.  Brilliant solo/guitar tone on that cover.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 10:19:56 PM »

that was actually a pretty good description of them  :lol  i'm liking what i'm hearing so far

:lol glad to hear!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 10:28:05 PM »
As Blood Runs Black: One of my favorite bands, I've heard a couple people saying they have Allegiance, but nothing positive about them. They're deathcore, and I find the music to be interesting and the lyrics to be good.

I've had these guys recommended to my by a buddy of mine, have yet to check them out though. 

Offline JRT

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 10:30:09 PM »
Another reason for Anal Cunt is because of their deep emotional themes.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 10:32:32 PM »

nobody laughed the first time
My Soundclick Page

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 10:32:48 PM »
VAN FULL OF RETARDS, RAH RAH RAH RAH!

Offline JRT

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 10:34:47 PM »

nobody laughed the first time

SORRY im not a potions master

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 10:48:51 PM »
Drivemouth - Band I found a little while ago that's just getting ready to release their second album. Definitely has his own unique style but might not fit it anywhere around here.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2009, 11:10:28 PM »
Miss May I - I'm sure maybe only BTBAM fans would even slightly like these guys. Hardcore band from central Ohio, pretty heavy stuff, great guitar and drums work.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2009, 11:11:14 PM »
Love those guys.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 11:24:07 PM »
Yours. Miss May I.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2009, 11:37:59 PM »
at least 1/2 maybe or more like 2/3 of this list and maybe 1/3 or more of this list

oh and count me in as a fan of the RX Bandits, but mostly their live shows. Their studio material I like somewhat, but not enough at this stage to seek out to buy.