Author Topic: Who are the most dislikable rock stars?  (Read 4814 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Who are the most dislikable rock stars?
« on: May 17, 2015, 05:27:28 PM »
Axl Rose
Eddie Van Halen
Geoff Tate
Ted Nugent

That's a start.

Offline jammindude

Re: Who are the most dislikable rock stars?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 05:29:27 PM »
Yngwie should get thrown around.   But the Tater just takes it to a whole new level.   I can't think of a more miserable human being. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 05:31:10 PM »
Yeah, definitely Yngwie. Glaring omission on my part. 

Also, Phil Anselmo is probably up there.

And Lars. :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 05:38:35 PM »
I'm tempted to say Fred Durst, but calling him a rock star is a bit of a stretch.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 06:08:09 PM »
Gene Simmons
Chad Kroeger
Dave Mustaine
Kerry King
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 06:16:33 PM »
Speaking of Yngwie, I've heard his idol Richie Blackmore is not the most pleasant person either. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 06:29:03 PM »
From what I read, Sebastian Bach can be a real piece of work

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 06:29:44 PM »
Dennis DeYoung
Steve Perry
Geoffrey Tate

My personal hate from the way ge acted live- Leslie West
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 06:41:55 PM »
And as much as I think may very well be the most amazing vocalist ever (certainly one of the most versatile) Mike Patton strikes me as someone I wouldn't want to spend more than 5 minutes with....and I think I'd be waiting for it to be over for the last 4 1/2. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 06:43:45 PM »
Scott Stapp

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 06:53:56 PM »
Gene Simmons
Chad Kroeger
Dave Mustaine
Kerry King
What’s wrong with Chad Kroeger? I’ve never heard any stories about him.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 06:56:36 PM »
The vast majority of the above I agree with.   

Two I would give the benefit of the doubt to these days:

1) Steve Perry - seems to have mellowed significantly in recent times and is a great guy to be around these days from what I hear.

2) EVH has disappointed me more than most.......an idol of mine as a kid who just kept disappointing.  Some may not wish to make a distinction between people who are just plain assholes and those who are ugly drunks/druggies (and fair enough) but , as I understand it , when Ed's clean - as in recent years  - he's a really nice guy and does a load of good charity work under the radar.  And despite all that has happened his family (and ex-wife) still rave about him - even Hagar admits he's sweet when he's clean.   Guys like Tate, Axl and Yngwie are just natural born pricks  ;D

John Sykes is a difficult mofo from all reports.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 09:00:58 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 08:50:09 PM »
Axl Rose and Gene Simmons were the first to spring to mind for me. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 08:56:21 PM »

This, plus Geoff Tate.

I might get some shit for this, but I think Josh Homme is pretty questionable.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 11:03:11 PM »
Bono
possibly Billy Corgan
Marilyn Manson
John Lydon
Billy Joe Armstrong
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 12:22:47 AM »

This, plus Geoff Tate.

I might get some shit for this, but I think Josh Homme is pretty questionable.
Josh Homme kinda occupies a realm where he's both cool and a complete asshole, heh. Conflicting feelings for sure.

Also maybe it's just me, but I always thought Mark E. Smith of The Fall was an annoying twat. Love his music though.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 12:28:14 AM »
Yeah, definitely Yngwie. Glaring omission on my part. 

Also, Phil Anselmo is probably up there.

And Lars. :lol
Phil is so god damned cool these days, he's made up for whatever past douchery he's done.

Offline Magikernandy

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 12:59:16 AM »
Joey De Maio from Manowar

The Adolph Hitler of metal. Not really a  rockstar perhaps but he sure thinks he is the most famous rockstar in the world.  ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 02:15:54 AM »
Has anyone ever stopped listening to a favorite band of theirs strictly because it came to light how much of a jerk one of the members are?

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 02:47:43 AM »
Has anyone ever stopped listening to a favorite band of theirs strictly because it came to light how much of a jerk one of the members are?
Nah. I listen to a few bands fronted by some admittedly reprehensible folks. Artist and music are separate for me.

Calvin6s

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 03:40:57 AM »
I can only talk about those that I've semi-met in real life.  Judging by videos, articles, interviews and from the audience seems unfair.

Yngwie Malmsteen:  was actually pretty cool most times I saw him.  But one show the roadie tossed him his guitar and it hit him in the face.  He had a bit of blood in his mouth and he spent the rest of the show spitting it on his roadie.  His wife at the time was a real piece of work.

Kevin Moore:  he wasn't bad or anything.  And this was obviously around the time he was probably unhappy being in DT.  But each and every band member happily signed the WDADU and I&W sleeves.  I had a silver marker that showed up dark on light backgrounds and light on dark backgrounds.  He seemed a bit rude about the pen.  "You want me to sign a white background (WDADU) with a silver pen?  Didn't think this one through?"  (or something like that).  Me: "It will show up on .." Kevin  "I'll just sign with my black pen."  I just said "That's fine.  Thanks so much."  Hardly a rock star moment, but you can tell he wanted to be anywhere but signing something.  This was the exact same day Portnoy talked for at least 30 minutes to me and my friend, so it really stood out in contrast.

Zakk Wylde:  The guy was actually pretty nice, but they aren't lying when they say he is always plastered and stinky.  He was at a Vinnie Moore concert in the audience right next to me cheering Vinnie on (and later got up on stage with Vinnie).  It was kind of funny because they switched guitars.  Zakk's guitar basically touched Vinnie's feet and Vinnie's guitar looked like a lobster bib on Zakk.

CC Deville:  I hear he is nice, but he so wanted to be a guitar hero.  He was at the Leo Fender Memorial in Irvine, CA and he seemed really upset that he wasn't loved as the real guitar heroes.  Normally, he probably was the most approached (fame), but that night people were more or less ignoring him.  I kind of remember him whining at the audience when it was his turn on stage.

Most everybody else I've met has been anywhere from normal to ridiculously cool. 

Does Kanye count as a rock star?  He's pretty awful.

Is there a "really cool rock stars"?  I have way more examples of that.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 03:47:42 AM »

Yes. I stopped listening to Disturbed because of that prick David Draiman. It's funny though because Geoff Tate is even worse, but I still love Queensryche.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 03:55:19 AM »
I personally haven't because if I did, probably 30% of my music collection would be out the window lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 04:27:31 AM »
I'm tempted to say Fred Durst, but calling him a rock star is a bit of a stretch.

And Liam Gallagher -  it's always the people with the least actual ability that have the most ego.

Liam Gallagher has never been a great singer - and he's only gotten worse over the years. He was the reason Oasis split up. His 2nd band broke up because they weren't doing very well - and he still acts like a massively egotistical rockstar.

Recently he's just been lashing out at Noel on twitter because High Flying Birds are so successful. Saying " he was planning his solo album whilst oasis were still together "

and " songs on the first HFB album were written when he was still in oasis "

As if either of those things are somehow abnormal ?

I want Liam to write and record his own solo album and see how well that does before he starts dishing out abuse to other, more talented people out of jealousy.

Noel, on the other hand - whilst he has said some poor things in the past ( some of which he apologised for ) - his arrogance is mostly tongue-in-cheek and in one-on-one

interviews is pretty down to earth and humble. He has also notably matured over the years, he's 47 now and seems pretty laid back whilst Liam is in his 40's too and still acts

like a 21 year old.  Noel is also hilarious. But get him on a TV show with a big audience and the pretend arrogance comes out.

He's said in the past that you never know how long your career in music will last so he's just having fun with it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 04:34:05 AM »

Billy Joe Armstrong

What's Billie done ? Apart from that drunken outburst at the i Heart Radio thing - I don't really recall any big scandals involving him or Green Day.

I'd never put him in the "douchebag rockstar" category.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 06:17:04 AM »

Dropped Ted Nugent like a rock when he went batshit insane, and he used to be one of my favorite guitarists. And this is an occupational hazard listening to a lot of more underground black metal, where the members espousing Nazi beliefs is practically habitual.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 07:02:15 AM »
GG Allin.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 09:32:21 AM »

Nah, I like early Yngwie music a lot (Rising Force made my Top 20), so I don't really care about those things when it comes to music itself.

And Blackmore is one of my favourite musicians ever, though I wouldn't say he's that big of a dick, especially now. Certainly not on Tate or Yngwie levels.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2015, 09:34:05 AM »

Nah. Like I've said before, the DEP is my favorite band, even though I think Greg's mostly an asshole.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2015, 09:46:23 AM »
Gene Simmons
Chad Kroeger
Dave Mustaine
Kerry King
What’s wrong with Chad Kroeger? I’ve never heard any stories about him.

He kind of embraces the hatred that Nickelback gets a little too much. The was also an incident with Derek Whibley from Sum 41. Derek used to be married to Avril Lavinge (who is now married to Chad). He went to a Halloween party with his friend and he dressed up as Avril while his friend dressed up as Chad as a joke. Chad responded on Twitter by saying something along the lines of "I was gonna go to a party dressed as Derek Whibley, but the costume theme was celebrities". It was an unnecessary response to a lighthearted joke. He also compared Nickelback's music to Mozart and Bach recently which is ridiculous.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2015, 09:57:51 AM »
I find nothing wrong with that.  That's personal.  it's obvious that there's a grudge and it's about a woman.  That's not the same as being a jackass in life.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2015, 10:00:20 AM »
I find nothing wrong with that.  That's personal.  it's obvious that there's a grudge and it's about a woman.  That's not the same as being a jackass in life.
This.  I can't tell that he is an asshole the same way that many of these legends of douchebaggery are.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2015, 10:11:35 AM »

I do, probably.  If the main members are asses, then it's pretty hard for me to really relate to the music in ways that I want.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2015, 10:31:48 AM »
legends of douchebaggery

This should be the name of a Malmsteen/Van Halen tribute act.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2015, 10:33:42 AM »
Who was that guy from Stratovarius that kept making up a bunch of drama to get attention?