Author Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road - 99% rating on Rotten Tomatoes  (Read 9708 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Mad Max: Fury Road - 99% rating on Rotten Tomatoes
« on: May 13, 2015, 07:03:03 PM »
You guys had better be seeing this film in theaters over the next weekend or two! :tup

It seems that George Miller has made his magnum opus!
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline faizoff

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road - 99% rating on Rotten Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 08:58:27 PM »
I really hope to see it this weekend. I've been meaning to watch this movie when the first trailer came out.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 09:49:23 PM »
I really hope to see it this weekend. I've been meaning to watch this movie when the first trailer came out.

As have I. Am a huge fan of the original series.....curious to see this one. I've heard it's good.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 03:56:47 AM »
This movie has been in development for almost 18 years. We finally get to feast our eyes on it this weekend. I can't fucking wait. This movie looks absolutely nuts

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 04:01:39 AM »
Like the new Star Wars (but on another level) it's going to look very real too because it was all filmed in the desert.  Looking forward to it and expecting it to be huge in Australia as Mad Max is very iconic.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 04:17:52 AM »
I am a super freak fan of the Mad Max series. I will be seeing this kick ass movie on saturday  :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 06:43:22 AM »
I can't say that I'm a HUGE fan of the original films, but this looks batshit crazy, and it is being hailed by some as the greatest action film ever made.  I can't wait to see it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 08:43:57 AM »
I'm a big fan of the original film Mad Max; Road Warrior and Thunderdome were enjoyable for me, but IMO, they don't quite get to the level of the first movie.  I've still never seen anything like it.

Having said that, I'm pumped for this movie!  Tom Hardy looks to fit the role perfectly.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 10:44:48 AM »
I've only ever seen The Road Warrior in its entirety, though I have seen both the first film and Thunderdome in various bits and pieces over the years.

I would go and see Fury Road tonight, but I'm doing some film stuff in the late afternoon/early evening, so I'll be seeing it tomorrow night with some of my fellow film crew members. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 10:47:06 AM »
Going to see this Saturday. Hearing nothing but amazing things about it. Hope it lives up to the hype. :metal

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 07:58:49 PM »
Just a fun fact:

Not only is the Director, George Miller a Medical Doctor, but his previous film was Happy Feet  :D

Cool dude

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 08:10:38 PM »
Never saw the originals but I may need to check them out.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 10:08:18 PM »
The hype has definitely gotten me interested. I haven't seen the originals, is it necessary to see them before going to this new one?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 06:22:12 AM »
The hype has definitely gotten me interested. I haven't seen the originals, is it necessary to see them before going to this new one?
I doubt it, especially since it's a new actor.  You can probably get by just reading up on them or catching clips on youtube.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 06:34:38 AM »
I haven't seen the originals, is it necessary to see them before going to this new one?

No.

I haven't seen the originals, is it necessary to see them

Yes.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 02:04:33 PM »
I had no desire to see this movie, but the feedback in this thread has me changing my mind.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline faizoff

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 11:17:29 PM »
This movie without any exaggeration is probably the most INTENSE 2 hour movie I've EVER seen in my life. I feel like I was on an IV line with adrenaline going straight to my heart for the entire length of the movie. And I'm so glad I saw it in the theater. This movie HAS to be seen in the theater with an amazing surround sound system. I'm still shaking and I don't think I can sleep tonight. I'll need to watch something calm like the Red Wedding episode of Game of Thrones to put me to sleep.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 06:21:05 AM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 06:43:03 AM »
lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 10:10:06 AM »
I had no interest in seeing this and now I see this.  Damn.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 10:42:54 AM »
I've been waiting for this for years.

Tomorrow... I can not wait

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2015, 11:10:02 AM »
This movie is just as awesome as the hype/buzz is suggesting. Don't miss out, see it at the cinema!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 11:09:56 AM »
Just got back from the theater

That pretty much sums it up

Bottom line:

If you are a Mad Max fan, then go see it, you'll love it
If your just a movie fan, then go see it, its one hell of a ride

and I agree 100% with faizoff. This thing MUST be seen in a theater. You owe it to yourself.

My heart is still racing  :metal
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 11:28:17 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 02:00:31 PM »
https://t.co/A0VX2wwgaY

Red Letter Media review Mad Max Fury Road.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 04:48:56 PM »
this movie is fucking amazing. so see it asap.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 06:05:42 PM »
Mad Max: Fury road, in a nutshell

Over the top, badass beyond words and truly unforgettable  :metal

And I just want to say, that I absolutely LOVE Immortan Joe as a villain. Incredible

I will make sure that my Will states that I'm buried with a copy of this movie.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:17:26 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 10:48:22 AM »
Okay!  The thread convinced me.  I had no desire to watch this, but I guess I should check it out.  And on value movie Tuesday, I'll see it tonight.
Signature

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 11:15:48 AM »
This thread is the first I am hearing of this movie.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 12:24:21 PM »
Too long has it been since I've seen a movie this kickass and memorable. :hefdaddy

Definitely one of my favorite films of the year so far, right up there with Ex Machina. Anyone who hasn't seen it needs to do themselves a favor and watch it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 12:46:56 PM »
I guess I'll go when it opens in my little town...

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 01:08:49 PM »
I plan on going tomorrow night.....couldn't find time this past weekend. The comments on this thread is making it more appealing than it already was!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2015, 01:26:47 PM »
Man... it was great!  My wife even liked it.

That sand storm scene made the movie; I'll likely see it again just for that. 
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2015, 03:39:33 AM »
I really don't get all the hype, in fact, I've never been so puzzled by the success of any other movie, ever. In my opinion, it was flat-out tiresome and tedious, with monotonous, chaotic, non-stop over the top action. The characters were blank, uninteresting and unrelatable. The whole thing was a chore to get through, I don't remember ever checking my watch so often in the theater. I can see why many people might love it, but this universal, exaggerated praise is beyond me. At one point during the film, I started thinking about the box office bomb Dredd (2012) and how it runs circles around Mad Max in almost every aspect. It has redeeming qualities, the setting and the dystopian mythology are fascinating, but, even as a fan of the action genre, I really have hard time wrapping my head around why everyone thinks this glorified B-movie is the game-changer action flick of the new millennium.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2015, 02:35:07 PM »
I have not seen it yet, but it's peaked my curiosity because of its overwhelming praise.    In fact I have scoured the internet LOOKING for someone with something negative to say about the movie.    Yours is the first one I've seen. 

One of the most interesting things I've heard said about the film was from Half in the Bag.   They said something to the effect that it was extremely rare to learn so much about the characters *from* the action itself.     The idea being that there was character development *by means of* the action rather than having to stop everything for some exposition "down time".    They also said that so many action movies are only about the action, and Mad Max didn't do that.

I thought that was a fascinating concept.   So I'm curious to see how that plays out.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 02:49:45 PM »
I have not seen it yet, but it's peaked my curiosity because of its overwhelming praise.    In fact I have scoured the internet LOOKING for someone with something negative to say about the movie.    Yours is the first one I've seen. 

One of the most interesting things I've heard said about the film was from Half in the Bag.   They said something to the effect that it was extremely rare to learn so much about the characters *from* the action itself.     The idea being that there was character development *by means of* the action rather than having to stop everything for some exposition "down time".    They also said that so many action movies are only about the action, and Mad Max didn't do that.

I thought that was a fascinating concept.   So I'm curious to see how that plays out.

My dad wasn't a big fan of it either, but I heavily disagreed with him on it. He at least recognized that it was very well-crafted as far as films go.

Fury Road is rather unique. As I'm sure you're already well-aware, the film is essentially one long chase from start-to-finish. There's more to it than that, but that's largely the narrative. As Half-in-the-Bag mentioned in their review, the film definitely uses its actions through the chase to delve into the massive world-building that exists in the film, as well as its themes regarding sexism and (false) religious manipulation and through all of that, develops the characters in turn. I've never seen another film do anything like that before and it was executed very brilliantly.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2015, 05:15:45 PM »
In fact I have scoured the internet LOOKING for someone with something negative to say about the movie.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-reviews/mad-max-fury-road-review-5699340
I found it pretty funny that the reviewer was talking about checking his watch during the movie, exactly what I've been doing. I actually went online on my phone to check the runtime and then debated with my friend (whom didn't like it either) whether or not it still has a chance to turn out good in the remaining 45 minutes. It didn't. At one point I even contemplated leaving. On a related note, being in 3D didn't help the case either, as I absolutely despise having to watch movies in that format (I'm probably not as alone with this as with my opinion regarding this movie). I wish that lame 3D gimmick would just die out already. I'll probably get more out of it should I chose to watch it again when it comes out on DVD. 

edit: if you dig deeper, you can find more negative reviews:
https://www.sfgate.com/movies/article/Clever-touches-enliven-two-hour-Mad-Max-6263383.php
https://www.reeltalkreviews.com/browse/viewitem.asp?type=review&id=5599
https://nycmovieguru.com/may15th15.html#madmax
https://www.3aw.com.au/news/movie-reviews-jim-schembri-on-mad-max-sunday-and-a-royal-night-out-20150515-gh2i33.html
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 05:25:14 PM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.