Author Topic: The band wants to hear from YOU: send a message to DT for their 30th anniversary  (Read 144956 times)

Offline Highteckjunkie5150

Back in 1994 I was introduced to the mighty Dream Theater, it changed my life forever. Congrats to the DT machine for 30 years and many more to come. Looking forward to the next album and tour.

Offline daveeroberts

Train of Thought was my first. And it was when I realised what amazing musicianship sounded like. James, John, John, Jordan and Mike changed the path of my life forever. It was they who began my music career, later my journalism career and now my first overseas travel memoirs. I have you to thank for the inspiration to writw my blues album - the second copy burnt I gave to John P in Sydneys meet and greet last year.

On behalf of the entire Dream Theater Fanclub of Australia and New Zealand - happy 30 years of proggy awesome music. And here's to another 30!

Dave Roberts - founder DTFCANZ, journalist, musician, #askepticabroad

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Lots of new members here today :)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
That's creepy coming from you. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
That's creepy coming from you. :lol

How about me?

Lots of new members! :D:D:D
Because Mike is better than Mike

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Not so much. Zydar's couch is legendary.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
See.  And sticky.

Offline paulstfu

Woah! 30 years of awesome music and I've discovered this wonderful band 5 years ago.

Everything started when I was looking for a "perfect song", a song that could blew my mind, something beautiful, because I was tired of the average rock/metal sound. Then, asking on some forums about long songs, a guy told me to listen to a 42 minutes epic song. I did and since then, I've never stopped listening to you everyday. Thank you, Dream Theater, for making beautiful music. I do hope you keep like that 100 more years!!
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Hmm. Not to be the Debbie Downer here, but unless there is a post by a DT member in this thread at some point, I'm silently assuming this is just a PR trick to get people to go to DTF.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
 :facepalm:think I heard you first time back in 94, but I wasn't convinced as I was following other kind of music in that specific moment. Then I changed city for 4 years and local radios didn't play DT anymore. When I came back I didn't listen too closely to music radios and that has gone on for years. anyway, as I was hearing some song here nad there, I kept repeating myself "I should get one record and listen carefully". It didn't happen until I was in a bad period of change after the death of my mother that I wanted to try...a dn begun to listen closely: I bought SFAM just to try... And was blown away from first listening. Didn't stop since then. Now a big fan, and trying to spread the disease, even though my women at home, especially my daugthers, don't seem to care much yet... All I need is to get them to listen closely, in quiet, alone, and focused. Isn't it?
For next tour, you pretty know what people WANT to listen from you... Just play those notes and we will celebrate 30th in style! See you in Pistoia concert (cannot attend Rome as I won't be here that day).
From Rome, with love.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Hmm. Not to be the Debbie Downer here, but unless there is a post by a DT member in this thread at some point, I'm silently assuming this is just a PR trick to get people to go to DTF.

Why would you assume that?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I just don't think they read the forums at all. And it's been total radio silence for months at this point, almost all posts on Facebook have been by DT management. It just strikes me as a DT management thing.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Hmm. Not to be the Debbie Downer here

No offence, but you are pretty much quintessential Debbie Downer of the DT Side of the forum!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
There might be something to that :lol

Offline Peggy

Happy 30th Anniversary! I am so glad that I discovered your music something like 10 years ago. Your music definitely contributed to some changes in my life (good ones). You are still my favorite band today. I hope you won't ever stop making such brilliant music! And also that James Labrie will always be your singer, because I really really love his voice.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I just don't think they read the forums at all. And it's been total radio silence for months at this point, almost all posts on Facebook have been by DT management. It just strikes me as a DT management thing.
JP is very aware of the forums.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline iamtheeviltwin

Having spent 25 of your 30 years as a fan of the band, I just want to say thank you for the music.  It has been one of the constants through most of my adult life.  Your music has carried me through the tough times and propelled me through the good times.  Looking forward to many more years of music.   :metal

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
JP is very aware of the forums.

And Labrie has already said 'thanks for the comments' in his Twitter handle.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I can tell you for certain that James is aware of what is posted on these forums.  Whether he reads the board himself or has things reported to him, I do not know.  But I know he is aware.  And I know JP is aware as well.  To a lesser extent, Jordan is, but I think that stems largely from fans who are more directly in touch with his through other social media making him aware of specific posts and discussions from time to time.

Anyhow, with that now out of the way, back on topic please. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline zanystarr

Congrats on 30 years of Prog Metal awesomeness! Keep rawwwwkin on!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
To all the newer posters,

Drop by on all the threads.  You'll love this place.

Offline kumarab

Have been a fan for 25 years. Anything I say, will not be enough. So here it is.. a short tribute to you guys. It's a home recording.. so quality isn't exactly top notch.

https://soundcloud.com/sunny-musicwithoutgenres/thunder-demo
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 09:10:03 PM by kumarab »

Offline Skeever

Out of curiosity, how do you get to 30 years? When do you start counting? When Dream and Day Unite came out in '88, so what's the anniversary date? First show? First show as DT? First practice? Always been really confused by how Score is the 20th anniversary show, too. Seems to me like the band often act like they're a bit older than they really are  :biggrin:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Well the band formed in 1985, so I assume that's what they're measuring from.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
There was a time when I would follow every single bit of Dream Theater news and rumor as a daily routine. A time when my vacations where planned around Dream Theater tour dates. A time when a Dream Theater release was held in importance above almost any other release. A time when I'd listen to Dream Theater bootlegs more than normal albums from other bands. For the most part, that time is over. I love Dream Theater, I continue to enjoy and follow them to an extent, but to a degree they have timed out to me, lost some of the glean that once made them special.

But this is not a negative post. First off, I celebrate everything Dream Theater has been to me over the past 12 years. The mini-vacations and adventures that were embarked on, the fevered discussions I've had over the years over the minuscule details of their work, and the great joy from the opportunities I've had to speak with them for only a few minutes. I was certainly over the hump with Dream Theater when I decided that my second tattoo would be their brand on my right shoulder, simply because of what a large part of my life they had been.

Perhaps more importantly, I thank Dream Theater for their influence. They helped define and push forward a genre, and their tireless work helped inspire a myriad of musicians who I continue to explore and enjoy. Would bands like Haken and Redemption sound the way they do, and have the opportunities they have if not for the path paved by Dream Theater? Although Dream Theater may not dominate my musical landscape in the way they once did, their spirit truly does carry on in the musicians they've affected.

Over 30 years you guys pushed boundaries, defined a genre, and kicked ass all around the world. Well done, and carry on.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
30 years?!  Wow, it goes by so quick!  Congratulations guys!  I would basically echo a lot of what's been said, positive kudos and such!  Yeah, you guys rock!  I mean come on, you're Dream Theater!

30 years of Dream Theater...  What does that really mean for me today?  You've created music, a sound and really a genre that has become the measuring stick for everything else I listen to.  And that doesn't really say it.  I think the best way to say thanks and express my appreciation is to let you know that after the first listen, Dream Theater became the music I listened to THE MOST!.  Out of all the other choices, vibes and change ups I make to my musical selection I select your music THE MOST.

12 years a fan...  Thanks!   :tup
Signature

Offline bugsyoz

Offline aspidina

From Italy only three words:
I love you  :heart

Offline Akmal

I'm from Uzbekistan and I've got acquainted with the Dream Theater's music about half-year ago. It was awesome! I wish you prosperity and dreaming to visit your concert!
Sorry for my bad english)

Offline borzo

I'd like to see a celebration for the band and for us fans.
It would be great to have a celebration tour with the top of their musical career and not the last album as always.

Hope is the last thing to die.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Nile98

Congratulations, guys, you have made my life the best it can be... Can't wait for the new Album. Come to Serbia once!:)

Offline JLa

Congratulations, and thank you for all the great music!  :heart

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I remember hearing "Pull Me Under" on WPLR in New Haven when it first came out and thinking "I have to hear more of that!"   And I've been hearing more of that ever since.   In various ways, DT has formed a big part of the soundtrack of my life.   Now that my daughter is getting to be a teenager, I find music to be a great "connector" for us, and many songs are starting to form the soundtrack of HER life, including "I Walk Beside You" and "This Is The Life". 

Thank you for 30 years of musical wonder.