Author Topic: 425's Roulette v. We crown the skies with our tiara! (Final Results Inside!)  (Read 55186 times)

Offline 425

Parama (EP #7)
Patrick Watson - Tracy’s Waters
Mew - She Came Home For Christmas
Coheed and Cambria - Mother Superior
Olafur Arnalds - Old Skin
Kamelot - Memento Mori
Thrice - Child of Dust

Parama sent this EP, which he claims to hate. But I don’t hate it. I like it. It features a combination of prog and other sorts of rock music with some nice ballads as well, and I think it’s p. cool.

We start things off here with Tracy’s Waters by Patrick Watson. Some of the instrumentation here is kind of unusual, but I really love the singer and the vocal melodies. He kind of reminds me of a young Chris Martin (Coldplay), which I like quite a bit. He’s certainly heartfelt, and the instrumentation is kind of charming, in the end. This is a very solid opener.

The next song is She Came Home For Christmas by Mew. I’ve heard a handful of songs from this band and had liked them, but this one definitely took things to the next level. There’s a lot of strong melody on here, both in the instrumentation and in the vocals. The chorus is highly memorable and the singer just carries the song beautifully. His high pitched vocals near the end are spectacular.

Coheed and Cambria follow with Mother Superior. I actually saw them open for Iron Maiden a couple of years ago, but I don’t remember much. I remember they covered Heaven and Hell. In any case, this is a pretty fantastic song. The singer is fantastic, he has some quirks but he passionately belts out these melodies. The instrumentation here is pretty good too, building some nice crescendos, especially on the choruses. The “Mother Superior, come catch the rabbit” part is excellent as well. Really good song. I’ll definitely have to check out this band.

Then we have Olafur Arnalds’ Old Skin. This starts out as a piano driven song with some nice, soft singing and string elements coming in and out. The chorus of the song is really pretty. The electronic elements that come in later are a nice touch and distinguish the song a bit from typical piano ballads.

Then comes the string of the EP when Parama sends two artists that other contestants also sent. The first of these two is Kamelot. Parama sent Memento Mori from them. This song opens well with a quieter section and some nice singing by who must be Kamelot’s old singer, Roy Khan. The riffing section that follows is very good. All of Khan’s singing on this song is very good, including the big chorus, which is quite memorable. This whole piece is really big, really epic.

The finale is by the second artist on the EP who someone else sent, Thrice. The Thrice song that Big Hath sent, Open Water, I really loved. Child of Dust is almost, though not quite, as good. I love the vocal-centric approach with harmonized group vocals. The melody is good and memorable and really does feel like it’s bringing the EP to the close. I especially love the way the vocals fade out.

Parama, despite the way you talk all the time, you’ve done really well in this roulette. Casualties of Cool, Green Carnation, Lorde and fun. were all very good artists whose songs you sent me. I liked Thank You Scientist a lot, too. I know you’d wanted me to like Oceansize more than I did (and I wouldn’t completely count that out), but even with that in consideration, your roulette performance has been impressive.

This has really been one of my favorite EPs of the whole round. I’ve really liked all these artists and songs. Unfortunately, the way the scores fell, you came just short of winning the whole thing. But very, very well done to come so close, and thank you very much for participating.

Final Song Rankings:
Mew - She Came Home For Christmas (9.5)
Coheed and Cambria - Mother Superior (9.5)
Thrice - Child of Dust (9.5)
Kamelot - Memento Mori (9.0)
Olafur Arnalds - Old Skin (9.0)
Patrick Watson - Tracy’s Waters (9.0)

Score: 19.5

Sacul (EP #6)
“Feels”
Ulver - Eos
Ayreon - Day Six: Childhood
iamthemorning - Gerda
Susanne Sundfør - White Foxes
Marketa Irglová - Time Immemorial
Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy

As Sacul himself described it, this is “a quiet, intimate EP.” A lot of really soft, pleasant music, which Sacul correctly figured I would like.

Ulver starts things off with Eos. Which is spectacular. It’s a very quiet opener, featuring a keyboard and vocal dominated soundscape. I really love the sad atmosphere, which is perfectly captured by the album artwork. The vocals here are perhaps the most spectacular part of the whole piece. The singer’s deep voice brings a lot to the overall atmosphere of this song. This song is really excellent and resonnates a lot with me emotionally. My favorite of this EP and probably my favorite of the entire round.

So, from there, there’s nowhere to go but down. :lol No, but really, the Ulver song was excellent, and Ayreon takes on the task of following it up on the song Day Six: Childhood. And, I mean, if anyone was going to succeed in following that, it would probably be Arjen Lucassen with guest appearances from James LaBrie and Mikael Åkerfeldt. This is a very good prog rock ballad. James and Mikael are both excellent here, as is the third singer who I’m afraid I don’t know. The vocal melodies here are superb, particularly the chorus, which Mikael sings spectacularly. The keyboard tones seemed out of place to me at first, a bit, but they’ve settled in nicely, in my mind, the more I’ve listened to this song. Though this is no Eos, this is a very good song and one that makes me interested in hearing more from this album.

Sacul has me figured out as well as anybody else. The song Gerda by iamthemorning features a female singer with an absolutely beautiful, soft voice, singing some very lovely sad words and melodies, which I was 100% guaranteed to love. And I do. I love this singer and this song. The verses are pretty, the chorus is pretty. The sparse instrumentation is good and builds nicely over the course of the song. Everything here is very good.

Susanne Sundfør is the only returning artist this round. And this is a bit of a different side of Susanne than what Evermind sent me last round. I think I like The Brothel better, but White Foxes is absolutely excellent as well. It’s got a bit more of an electronic drum element and has some bigger electronic instrumentation, but ultimately, it’s Susanne singing, and I love her singing. Her voice is beautiful and powerful, and she absolutely nails the spectacular chorus. I also really love how the intro seems quiet and then that beat comes in and builds into the electronic sound of the overall song. It’s a really good intro. This artist is absolutely a keeper, and one of my favorite ones that I’ve received in the whole roulette. Evermind may have beaten you to the punch on introducing me to her, but I appreciate you including another song from her, which I think you were planning to include before you knew that Evermind had sent her song.

Marketa Irglová comes next, and she has a lot to live up to. Luckily for her, she’s a talented female singer with a soft, pretty voice, so that already gives her a good start. This is a really good little ballad. Her voice is very good, as are the choral vocals behind her. The verses are really good. But the chorus is spectacular. This song is absolutely beautiful and really inspiring. What I understand of the lyrics are really beautiful too. This is really good.

I was worried a bit on first listen to Dayvan Cowboy by Boards of Canada, because the intro was a bit weird for me. Over time, I got into it, and it started to make more sense to me. That’s still slightly my least favorite part of the EP, but I now consider it good and think it makes sense in the song. And the second part of the song is stellar, with the electronic elements creating a pretty nice atmosphere. And it really does feel like the closing song of an album. I’m probaby selling this one a bit short. I like it a whole lot, it’s a nice closer for the EP, and it would score very well on its own. It’s dwarfed a bit by the other excellence that is here, and was a bit more of a grower, but that’s not its fault. Another very good song.

Sacul, you might well be the contestant that got my musical tastes best by the end of the roulette. Unfortunately, a couple of missteps along the way set you back a bit. I didn’t love two of your early electronic submissions, and something that you couldn’t possibly have accounted for hurt my perception of Ommadawn, your epic. But all your other entries were really good, Janelle Monaé, Brand New, No-Man, and especially the David Maxim Micic song (thereby making your primary roulette mission complete: get the host to like David). Sufjan Stevens was no less excellent, taking you to your second straight round win. And, oh, by the way, here’s another one of those. This was the best EP I received. A spectacular set of songs and a very good running order. Well done. I’m sorry that you were too far out to pull off the win, but since that’s how it is anyway, I’m going to go ahead and throw every point I can at you, because this EP absolutely deserves it. Thank you for playing and for sending me this.

Final Song Rankings:
Ulver - Eos (10.0)
Marketa Irglová - Time Immemorial (10.0)
iamthemorning - Gerda (9.5)
Susanne Sundfør - White Foxes (9.5)
Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy (9.0)
Ayreon - Day Six: Childhood (9.0)

Score: 20.0 + 0.5 bonus = 20.5

Final Standings:
  1. Scorpion - 81.5
T2. Evermind - 81.0
T2. Parama - 81.0
T2. Sacul - 81.0
  5. Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 80.5
T6. Big Hath - 77.0
T6. OpenYourEyes311 - 77.0
T8. kingshmegland - 76.5
T8. lonestar - 76.5
 10. TAC - 71.5

Scorpion is the winner of the roulette! Congratulations!

Thank you so much to everyone who played! I really enjoyed running this, and couldn’t be happier with the selection of new artists I’ve heard over the course of the past couple of months.

Evermind, Parama and Sacul (and really Shadow Ninja, too), I know it must hurt to lose by so slim a margin. Honestly, a small break or two at any point in this roulette and things could have gone your way. You four and Scorpion all sent submissions where, when viewed hollistically, any of you could potentially have won the thing. It was really razor-thin. But ultimately, the reason why we have rules and multiple rounds is to settle such close circumstances as those, and, following those rules, it makes things clear that Scorpion earned the victory here. Well fought by everyone here, congratulations to our winner, Scorpion, and thank you to all ten of you for playing!

Now you can comment! More analytics to follow tonight and tomorrow, including top ten songs of the round and of the roulette.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:41:39 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: 425's Roulette v. Nine
« Reply #631 on: August 09, 2015, 11:22:43 PM »
go check out Comforting Sounds /RIGHT NOW/ by the way, I was considering sending that at some point 'cause that's some solid 10.0 roulette winning madness right there

also screw the drop-lowest-score rule  :rollin
how did the point sums add up in the end?
EDIT: oh there they are w o w

i figured at least one of my artists would overlap in the end, haha.
I nearly sent Betrayal from Ayreon off the same album too, good stuff right there yo, my fav Ayreon song

i'd have won if I sent Paper Champion as my Oceansize song, prob

Offline 425

Yeah sorry, I realized I forgot them and had to edit them in.

Yeah, Parama, I know you don't like that rule. Its merit is debatable at this time in my mind as well, but everybody played as though it was in effect, so there it stands. Scorpion may have sent something else in his lowest round if the rule hadn't been there.

To upset you more, you missed the 0.5 bonus on the EP by 37 seconds.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
eww gross ugh  :'(

also i edited my post above too haha, some more recs 'cause why not

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck me.

I'll go eliminate Song of Myself from the survivor now. :lol

More eloquent response is coming up later when I'm done with that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Congrats Scorp! :woot: :woot:

Thanks for having me in this roulette 425, it's been a lot of fun!

Offline 425

eww gross ugh  :'(

also i edited my post above too haha, some more recs 'cause why not

Actually, I think it was 27. Either way, I had to calculate it, because I was considering Coheed and Kamelot to be prog/metal and nothing else, and I had to use an online calculator and everything to add them and see if it was more than 15. And it's 15:27.

I'll check out your recs, though not RIGHT NOW because, you know, listening to EPs, making judgements along razor-thin margins, that stuff.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
evermind didn't send anything lower than an 8.0 tho so I'd have still lost to him without the drop-lowest-score rule to be fair, so i feel a little better about that

and to be fair, mew get proggy sometimes (and the glass handed kites is a pretty proggy album) and thrice get really heavy sometimes and a bit proggy at other times but it's not really the norm for either, i'd say. both great bands too though yeah wow

Offline 425

Fuck me.

It was a tough call. As close as it gets. I really appreciated you playing.

Thanks for having me in this roulette 425, it's been a lot of fun!

Thanks for playing! It's been fun for me too; I appreciated your submissions!
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Damn, so close, and so far... Anyways, congrats Scorp! :tup

Yup, knew you'd love my EP - was a bit worried about EOS, but it couldn't have played off better. Have fun digging into al the albums you'll get now. Enough for a year or so :P

Btw, is the bonus determined by something specifical? Like Shadow Ninja got 1, but others nothing - just curious.

Offline 425

I mean, once Scorpion's score came in, you were statistically eliminated... But you still made it extremely close. I love your EP, I really do.

The bonus has always been something you would get for sending an artist that is not either metal or prog. The "artist" aspect is there to ensure that you don't just send a metal band's ballad. On the regular rounds, it is just a determination of whether the artist is metal or prog, and if it's not, you get the 0.5 bonus. On the EP round, I set it up so that if over 50% of the EP by duration is non-metal and non-prog artists, you get 0.5, and if the whole thing is non-metal and non-prog artists, you get 1.0. You got 0.5 because nothing was metal or prog except for Ayreon. Shadow Ninja got 1.0 because none of his artists were metal or prog. Someone like lonestar or Parama, for example, didn't get anything because their EPs were over 50% metal/prog artists.

And yes, it's enough for a year or more! :P
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck me.

It was a tough call. As close as it gets. I really appreciated you playing.

Ain't gonna help the song. :lol

No worries, it's just a game after all. Now I know how RJ felt in my roulette. What goes around, comes around I guess. :lol

Did I win in overall score though? Without dropping the lowest one?

Oh, and well done Scorp!

Offline 425

Did I win in overall score though? Without dropping the lowest one?

Just glancing at it now, I think you tied with Shadow Ninja. I didn't calculate those because I wanted to get the results out quickly and limit the amount of controversy that happened right away, at least until Scorpion shows up to claim his crown, which I expect won't happen 'til morning in the US. But I'll include the unadjusted scores tomorrow in my analytics post.

Edit: Or Scorpion is here now. Still tomorrow, because math. I'm really confident though that it would be an Evermind/Shadow Ninja tie atop the unadjusted rankings.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Fair enough - once I saw Ayreon missing on your banned list, I HAD to send it. Obligatory listen on this forum :police:

If you do a v2 sometime in the future, please reserve me a spot. Thanks. I love introducing people to new artists and genres, so this roulette has been a blast.

Oh, and there were a few songs left out, may I sent them on a PM, or you already have enough with this roulette? :lol

Offline 425

If you do a v2 sometime in the future, please reserve me a spot. Thanks. I love introducing people to new artists and genres, so this roulette has been a blast.

I will for sure save you a spot if V2 ever happens.

Oh, and there were a few songs left out, may I sent them on a PM, or you already have enough with this roulette? :lol

Yeah, you can send me a PM. So long as it's a reasonable number of songs. :lol
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
:victorydance: :victorydance: :victorydance:

Awesome! I wasn't sure if my EP would be enough and if you would like the dramatic genre shifts, but going with my gut once again paid off! Thanks for letting me play, and it's been a pleasure to introduce you to a plethora of different bands that I love. :heart

Also, I want to compliment you on your roulette. I know, it took a little long, but it was all worth it, because, honestly, out of all roulettes that I have participated in, your's were definitely the write-ups that I enjoyed most.

Now let's get the controversy started! :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline 425

I was very happy to have you! Congrats on the win!

Thank you for the compliment on my writeups! I always end up writing these long things, and I wonder if anyone actually likes reading them, so hearing that you like them so much is great validation. Thanks for that.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Damn, not a good roulette to be over 40 in.

Anyhoo, glad you enjoyed the EP, and thanks for a fun roulette bud. Congrats Scorp!!!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Anyhoo, glad you enjoyed the EP, and thanks for a fun roulette bud. Congrats Scorp!!!

Yeah, glad I sat this one out.  Clear mis-alignment of musical tastes.  Though Ruslan's EP is  :hefdaddy.  All A Man Can Do deserves that extra 1/2 point though.

Congrats Tommy Boy.  You're still gonna get a whooping in Bolsters' roulette tho.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Thank you 425. I had a blast!! 

Congrats Scorp!!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Ah, well color me surprised that The Offspring was your favorite track on my EP! Great song, though, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Little disappointed that I came out so good and just got progressively worse and worse haha. Oh well, it was fun! Enjoy the Lone Bellow, Christina Perri, and Styx (and any others from this roulette)! Some great music in there, no doubt. Also, feel free to check out that Greenwheel song I sent you and ended up not using. They're a really good rock band from last decade that deserved a better fate.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Yeah, glad I sat this one out.  Clear mis-alignment of musical tastes.  Though Ruslan's EP is  :hefdaddy.  All A Man Can Do deserves that extra 1/2 point though.

Congrats Tommy Boy.  You're still gonna get a whooping in Bolsters' roulette tho.

Yeah, how th efuck did I miss BtB not being sent. :zeltar:

Offline 425

I'm 19, so yeah, there's a couple years' gap between us. Not too much of a gap for Voices From the Fuselage to bridge, though. :tup

Ah, well color me surprised that The Offspring was your favorite track on my EP! Great song, though, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Little disappointed that I came out so good and just got progressively worse and worse haha. Oh well, it was fun! Enjoy the Lone Bellow, Christina Perri, and Styx (and any others from this roulette)! Some great music in there, no doubt. Also, feel free to check out that Greenwheel song I sent you and ended up not using. They're a really good rock band from last decade that deserved a better fate.

Yeah, I really liked that one a lot. And I will check out the Greenwheel song pretty soon!:tup

Thank you to everyone, once again, for playing. I enjoyed it.

In a few hours I'll make that post of miscellany that I promised I'd make. The main things in there will be my picks for top ten songs of the EP round and top ten songs of the whole roulette.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
425, great roulette.  Glad you liked most of what I sent, especially felt good about the songs I included on the EP.  Great write-ups!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yay, I suck! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Yay, I suck! :lol

You might have done better if you'd submitted .... wait for it ...

Duran Duran.

(or Winger)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Apparently! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Also, I want to compliment you on your roulette. I know, it took a little long, but it was all worth it, because, honestly, out of all roulettes that I have participated in, your's were definitely the write-ups that I enjoyed most.
Definitely this - makes mine look fucking lazy  :lol

Offline 425

Definitely this - makes mine look fucking lazy  :lol

:lol Thanks for the compliment!

I'd forgotten to make that analytics post last night, so here it is. This is the last big thing I'm going to put in this thread, I think.

First, the unadjusted scores—what the scores would be without dropping the lowest one:

T1. Evermind - 89.0
T1. Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 89.0
  3. Parama - 88.5
  4. Sacul - 88.0
  5. Scorpion - 87.5
  6. OpenYourEyes311 - 85.0
  7. Big Hath - 84.5
T8. kingshmegland - 84.0
T8. lonestar - 84.0
10. TAC - 79.0

Now, here are the top ten songs from Round 9, the EP round. This is approximate.

• Ulver - Eos (Sacul)
  • Markéta Irglová - Time Immemorial (Sacul)
  • Thrice - Open Water (Big Hath)
  • Coheed and Cambria - Mother Superior (Parama)
  • Mew - She Came Home For Christmas (Parama)
  • Voices From the Fuselage - Meteorites (lonestar)
  • iamthemorning - Gerda (Sacul)
  • Susanne Sundfør - White Foxes (Sacul)
  • Avantasia - The Scarecrow (Evermind)
  • Thrice - Child of Dust (Parama)

Now, here are the top 25 songs from the entire roulette. This, also, is a very approximate list. This is even more of an approximation than the list before, because I haven't listened to a lot of these songs in well over a month. But this is just a general idea so you get a sense of what I liked best. I realize that even going to 25 I left a ton out, and it doesn't mean that I didn't like yours if it isn't here. It's just a general sense.

• Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape (Scorpion)
  • Susanne Sundfør - The Brothel (Evermind)
  • Ulver - Eos (Sacul)
  • Markéta Irglová - Time Immemorial (Sacul)
  • Thrice - Open Water (Big Hath)
  • David Maxim Micic - Wrinkle Maze (Sacul)
  • Ben Folds Five - Brick (kingshmegland)
  • Sufjan Stevens - Chicago (Sacul)
  • Brand New - Limousine (Scorpion)
  • Casualties of Cool - Moon (Parama)

• Portishead - Glory Box (Scorpion)
  • The Lone Bellow - Green Eyes and a Heart of Gold (OpenYourEyes311)
  • Lorde - Buzzcut Season (Parama)
  • Red House Painters - Katy Song (Shadow Ninja 2.0)
  • Coheed and Cambria - Mother Superior (Parama)
  • Mew - She Came Home For Christmas (Parama)
  • Voices From the Fuselage - Meteorites (lonestar)
  • iamthemorning - Gerda (Sacul)
  • Susanne Sundfør - White Foxes (Sacul)
  • Mark Knopfler - Dream of the Drowned Submariner (Evermind)

• Grateful Dead - Uncle John’s Band (lonestar)
  • Kevin Gilbert - Song for a Dead Friend (Big Hath)
  • Christina Perri - Jar of Hearts (OpenYourEyes311)
  • Santigold - The Riot's Gone (Shadow Ninja 2.0)
  • The Mayan Factor - Warflower (Big Hath)

The last section, and the longest, is the song rankings by participant. I know a lot of roulette organizers did these through the course of the roulette, but I thought that doing so would give too much away about the results of the upcoming round. Here they are now. These are also very approximate.

Also, if you note some weird inconsistency where I have a song higher in the by participant rankings and lower in the overall rankings, don't worry too much about that. These haven't been labored over or made perfect, they're a very rough cut to just give you a general idea.

Big Hath:
  • Thrice - Open Water
  • Kevin Gilbert - Song for a Dead Friend
  • The Mayan Factor - Warflower
  • Snarky Puppy - Amour, T’es là
  • Fair to Midland - Walls of Jericho
  • Symphony X - The Odyssey
  • The Dear Hunter - Lost But Not All Gone
  • The Dear Hunter - The Lake South/City Escape
  • Redemption - Love Kills Us All/Life in One Day
  • Dave Matthews Band - Minarets
  • Tower of Power - Squib Cakes
  • Harvest - Roundabout
  • Riverside - Hyperactive
  • Alcest - Summer’s Glory

Evermind:
  • Susanne Sundfør - The Brothel
  • Mark Knopfler - Dream of the Drowned Submariner
  • Avantasia - The Scarecrow
  • Dimension Act - Drawing the Lines of Mortal Existence
  • Jon Lord - Pictured Within
  • Vanden Plas - Vision Eight: Misery Affection
  • Kamelot - Fallen Star
  • The Gentle Storm - New Horizons (Gentle Version)
  • Beyond the Bridge - All A Man Can Do
  • Phideaux - The Claws of a Crayfish
  • Amethystium - Treasure
  • David Gilmour - Where We Start

kingshmegland:
  • Ben Folds Five - Brick
  • The Pineapple Thief - Remember Us
  • Shudder To Think - X-French T-Shirt
  • The Raconteurs - These Stones Will Shout
  • This Day & Age - More of a Climb, Less of a Walk
  • Dada - Star You Are
  • The Raconteurs - The Switch and the Spurs
  • Umphrey’s McGee - Rocker
  • Butterfly Jones - Sunshine and Ecstasy
  • Slow Motion Reign - Life Simulator
  • Slow Motion Reign - Isn’t It Time
  • Lo-Fi Resistance - Fading Pictures
  • The Feeling - Sewn
  • People In Planes - Moth
  • People In Planes - Barracuda

lonestar:
  • Voices From the Fuselage - Meteorites
  • Grateful Dead - Uncle John’s Band
  • After Forever - Through Square Eyes
  • Marillion - Sugar Mice
  • Voices From the Fuselage - A Principle God
  • Enchant - Juggling Knives
  • Tesseract - Of Matter
  • Maestrick - Lake of Emotions
  • Destrage - Destroy Create Transform Sublimate
  • The Deadstation - Subsistence Defined
  • Kingcrow - The Hatch

OpenYourEyes311:
  • The Lone Bellow - Green Eyes and a Heart of Gold
  • Christina Perri - Jar of Hearts
  • The Offspring - Dirty Magic
  • Styx - One With Everything
  • Eden’s Curse - Guardian Angel
  • 311 - Sometimes Jacks Rule the Realm
  • Michael Jackson - She’s Out of My Life
  • Rise Against - Survive
  • Queen - It’s Late
  • Fastball - Warm Fuzzy Feeling
  • OSI - The Thing That Never Was
  • Frameshift - La Mer
  • SR-71 - Alive
  • Eve 6 - Girlfriend

Parama:
  • Casualties of Cool - Moon
  • Lorde - Buzzcut Season
  • Coheed and Cambria - Mother Superior
  • Mew - She Came Home For Christmas
  • Thrice - Child of Dust
  • Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness
  • fun. - Walking the Dog
  • Kamelot - Memento Mori
  • Thank You Scientist - My Famed Disappearing Act
  • Olafur Arnalds - Old Skin
  • Patrick Watson - Tracy’s Waters
  • Pain of Salvation - Undertow
  • Oceansize - Only Twin
  • Ronald Jenkees - Disorganized Fun

Sacul:
  • Ulver - Eos
  • Markéta Irglová - Time Immemorial
  • David Maxim Micic - Wrinkle Maze
  • Sufjan Stevens - Chicago
  • iamthemorning - Gerda
  • Susanne Sundfør - White Foxes
  • Janelle Monae - Cold War
  • No-Man - Back When You Were Beautiful
  • Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy
  • Ayreon - Day Six: Childhood
  • Brand New - Handcuffs
  • Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
  • DJ Shadow - Midnight in a Perfect World
  • Burial - Raver

Scorpion:
  • Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape
  • Brand New - Limousine
  • Portishead - Glory Box
  • God Is An Astronaut - Snowfall
  • Grayceon - War’s End
  • Kirlian Camera - Drifting
  • Massive Attack - Angel
  • Devin Townsend - Deep Peace
  • Steve Rothery - Morpheus
  • Caravan Palace - Brotherswing
  • Ozric Tentacles - Snakepit
  • Extreme - Play With Me

ShadowNinja 2.0:
  • Red House Painters - Katy Song
  • Santigold - The Riot’s Gone
  • Jon Gomm - Passionflower
  • God Is An Astronaut - Suicide By Star
  • The Tallest Man On Earth - Weather of a Killing Kind
  • Lone Roar - Patience
  • Justin Cross - Drink the Water
  • Kishi Bashi - Philosophize In It! Chemicalize With It!
  • Beach House - Myth
  • The Tallest Man On Earth - I Won’t Be Found
  • The Tallest Man On Earth - Love Is All
  • Half Moon Run - No More Losing the War
  • Steam Powered Giraffe - Brass Goggles
  • Devil Doll - Mr. Doctor

TAC:
  • Iris Divine - Prisms
  • Constantine - The Darkest Grace
  • Fields of the Nephilim - Love Under Will
  • Fields of the Nephilim - Endemonaida
  • McAuley Schenker Group - Neverending Nightmare
  • Heavenly - Evil
  • Gary Moore - Empty Rooms
  • Glass Mind - Your Name in Silence
  • Alice Cooper - Steven Trilogy
  • Fates Warning - The Eleventh Hour
  • Deep Purple - I’m So Glad

I hope somebody actually wanted/cared about this. If not, well, here it is anyway, read it.

Thanks again to everybody for playing!
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
it's funny, 'cause as someone who loves thrice a ton (see: avatar) i've just never found Open Water that great. Especially with the company it's keeping on the Water disc. Digital Sea, Lost Continent, Night Diving, The Whaler, all flipping fantastic  :lol
not that it's a bad song though, for sure, if thrice has any bad songs i've never heard them (but i haven't heard the first half of their discography so)
and woo my best entry was the very first one. I can't say I'd be inclined to disagree there, Moon is an amazing song  :tup

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
David Gilmour's song is last in my rankings? Screw you.

Glad you liked Mark Knopfler's song this much. You should check out more albums by him, he's got a lot of awesome ballads. In any case, if you will start discovering any of the artists I've sent, I'll be glad to help answering some questions or providing some hints about where to start.

And yeah, the compliments, now that I'm home. Yours was definitely the best roulette I've got to play in. I loved your write-ups. I don't know what else to say, this roulette was awesome.

Still, you suck for not liking that David Gilmour's song. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
ranking my own songs

Casualties of Cool - Moon
Oceansize - Only Twin
Pain of Salvation - Undertow
Olafur Arnalds - Old Skin
Mew - She Came Home For Christmas
Thank You Scientist - My Famed Disappearing Act
Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness
Coheed and Cambria - Mother Superior
Kamelot - Memento Mori
Thrice - Child of Dust
Lorde - Buzzcut Season
fun. - Walking the Dog
Patrick Watson - Tracy’s Waters
Ronald Jenkees - Disorganized Fun

that seems about right, for being done in about 2 minutes

Offline Outcrier

I will for sure save you a spot if V2 ever happens.

Forget him, let's proceed with the Outcrier-only Roulette  :loser:
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline 425

David Gilmour's song is last in my rankings? Screw you.

What if I told you I liked all of your songs a lot and that's just the way it fell? I knew that would upset you as soon as I made the list, but really, every song on the list is quite excellent.

Glad you liked Mark Knopfler's song this much. You should check out more albums by him, he's got a lot of awesome ballads. In any case, if you will start discovering any of the artists I've sent, I'll be glad to help answering some questions or providing some hints about where to start.

I will! And thanks for the offer, I will probably take you up on asking questions about where to start with some of the artists.

And yeah, the compliments, now that I'm home. Yours was definitely the best roulette I've got to play in. I loved your write-ups. I don't know what else to say, this roulette was awesome.

Good to hear you're home. Thank you so much for the compliments. I'm really pleased that I was able to provide a good experience for everyone! (well, except maybe TAC  :P )

Still, you suck for not liking that David Gilmour's song. :lol

I know, I'm the worst.

But I like it, just not as much as you want me to.  :P
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline 425

Forget him, let's proceed with the Outcrier-only Roulette  :loser:

Outcrier-only Roulette: Nov. 2016
Full Roulette V2: Jul. 2017

Seriously, I'm gonna need, like, ten minutes to recover from this one and actually listen to the artists I've received.
And if spirit's a sign,