Author Topic: 425's Roulette v. We crown the skies with our tiara! (Final Results Inside!)  (Read 55204 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 425's Roulette v. Round 7: The Eternal Listening
« Reply #350 on: July 14, 2015, 05:34:28 PM »
Well, my EP is ready.  It's got a nice flow and I know no one used these bands.  I'll crank it again at work tomorrow.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #351 on: July 14, 2015, 07:44:51 PM »
Damn, my EP is 10 mins longer than it should be :lol. It will be tough to eliminate stuff from there - time to bring the scissors I guess.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: July 14, 2015, 07:57:11 PM »
I got lucky. 28 minutes.  Tomorrow will be a new perspective on the flow of my songs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: July 14, 2015, 08:10:33 PM »
I got lucky. 28 minutes.  Tomorrow will be a new perspective on the flow of my songs.
So you were up all night? ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: July 14, 2015, 08:22:44 PM »
I'm 47.  I need only a half hour or 28 minutes!   :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #355 on: July 14, 2015, 08:32:39 PM »
i'm 30 seconds over the time limit myself  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: July 14, 2015, 08:36:14 PM »
Hey 425, do you prefer amazing closers, or would you leave the best song before the last, so the closer is something, eh, less intense? Like the calm after the storm, or like Anathema's albums :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: July 14, 2015, 08:38:06 PM »
You werected thinking of museums then.  Lol.  Oh wait, music.

Sacul, he's looking for you to have the creativity.   He's not going to tell you.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: July 14, 2015, 08:40:43 PM »
Damn you're right  :lol .

Ok, after a listen, I think he'll love each of these tunes - have to work on the flow tho. And cut a few songs, damn.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: July 14, 2015, 08:56:18 PM »
Does it count if one of my songs is from a side-project from an artist you love? I'd send it, but I think it'd be like cheating or something like that.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #360 on: July 14, 2015, 09:04:07 PM »
i put a small cooldown song after my "album closer" track on the EP because that's what it is on the album it comes from and I love it

Offline 425

« Reply #361 on: July 14, 2015, 10:14:59 PM »
Does it count if one of my songs is from a side-project from an artist you love? I'd send it, but I think it'd be like cheating or something like that.

I dont know the exact details, obviously, but I would imagine that if the artist of the song itself isn't on the banned list, you're fine.

Like, if somebody were to send me a James LaBrie solo song, that would be totally acceptable. Just because I listen to the band doesn't at all guarantee that I would listen to the related project of my own will.

I think the line might be if someone sent me an Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe song. In that case I would consider banning it because, as I understand it, that album basically is a Yes album. But anything shy of that, like if it's James LaBrie or The Postal Service or something, you're good, go ahead.

And yeah, I'm not going to give you guidance on how to make your EP. I've been avoiding giving people round-specific advice just in the interest of fairness.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: July 14, 2015, 10:23:56 PM »
Fair enough - I've changed it anyways.

Ok, so I've now trimmed it to 28 mins and all the tracks are fantastic - you're gonna love this one.

Btw, how is the epic listening going on?

Offline 425

« Reply #363 on: July 14, 2015, 10:52:45 PM »
Oh, it's a bit of slow going. It's kind of hard to prepare myself to listen to 80 minutes worth of epics back-to-back! I'm midway through the second listen. That should be finished before Friday, and at that time I'll make the call on whether I'll need to do a fourth listen. I should at least know when I expect to be done by then.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: July 14, 2015, 11:07:25 PM »
Yeah, take your time - all you need. Might I suggest you do your listening by chunks? It's not necessary you listen to them all in one sit - that would drive anyone nuts. Maybe group them in, let's say, 3 groups of about the same lenght, and listen to one of the bunches at time. If you leave a few hours in between, you can even listen to them all in one day. That without counting some other music or album you might want to listen. Just my 2cents :angel:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #365 on: July 14, 2015, 11:09:35 PM »
literally just listen to mine twice at most

and I think I'm focusing more on a good EP overall rather than getting all the best songs I have on one disc, building flow and shutff

it needs retooling tho for sure it's unfocused rn

Offline 425

« Reply #366 on: July 14, 2015, 11:16:43 PM »
Yeah, take your time - all you need. Might I suggest you do your listening by chunks? It's not necessary you listen to them all in one sit - that would drive anyone nuts. Maybe group them in, let's say, 3 groups of about the same lenght, and listen to one of the bunches at time. If you leave a few hours in between, you can even listen to them all in one day. That without counting some other music or album you might want to listen. Just my 2cents :angel:

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. That's why I said 80 minutes—that's about the length of each group! The average length of non-Parama songs is a little over 20 minutes, so I have two groups of those with four in each, and then I have a group that just has Parama's and one other.

Right now, I've only been doing one group a day. I can imagine doing two in a day, if I started fairly early in the day and finished late at night, but I cannot imagine doing all three. I think I have a pretty easily fatigued ear and I want to make sure I'm giving everything a fair shake.

literally just listen to mine twice at most

It's really not as big a deal as I'm making it out to be. If someone else sent an equally long song, then yeah, it would be super inconvenient, but as is you're not really making that big of a problem for me. Right now I fully intend to listen to your song the same number of times as all the others. As much as I've been making joking comments about it, it's not like "the round is going slowly because of Parama." It's "the round is going slowly because there are ten songs here that average over 20 minutes in length."
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: July 15, 2015, 11:40:33 PM »

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. That's why I said 80 minutes—that's about the length of each group! The average length of non-Parama songs is a little over 20 minutes, so I have two groups of those with four in each, and then I have a group that just has Parama's and one other.

Right now, I've only been doing one group a day. I can imagine doing two in a day, if I started fairly early in the day and finished late at night, but I cannot imagine doing all three. I think I have a pretty easily fatigued ear and I want to make sure I'm giving everything a fair shake.
Cool, carry on!

Btw, two things:

1) I've noticed a lack of rap/hip-hop son your banned list... What's your take on that kind of music?

2) Do you have any musical fetishes? Like, specific things you dig a lot? For example, I'm sucker for feels, creativity, traditional Japanese music ( :heart ), choirs, pianos, and cellos, among other stuff.

Offline 425

« Reply #368 on: July 16, 2015, 02:07:12 PM »
1) I've noticed a lack of rap/hip-hop son your banned list... What's your take on that kind of music?

I don't know.

Seriously, I have never sat down and listened to rap or hip-hop. I've heard some stuff in passing that I thought was fairly good, but I really have no idea what my reaction would be if you sent me a song and I sat down and listened to it several times.

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that it would be a genre where I would like some of the music, but where it would be unlikely for a song or album from that genre to rank up as high as those from some other genres. The big obstacle to me enjoying it might be that I really like vocal melodies, and if most of the vocals aren't sung, that might be a barrier.

2) Do you have any musical fetishes? Like, specific things you dig a lot? For example, I'm sucker for feels, creativity, traditional Japanese music ( :heart ), choirs, pianos, and cellos, among other stuff.

Hmm. I'm sure if I took a few weeks and just kept a running list I could come up with a lot more, but here are some things off the top of my head:

I definitely like emotionally powerful music. I think that's fairly clear at this point from my writeups. For me, that's mostly sadness and happiness. Anger in music is one of those things that I liked when I was 15 but now I only like if it is well executed (typically, more of a subtle anger like Death Cab for Cutie's Styrofoam Plates than, like, thrash metal). Morbid stuff also kinda hits me in a weird way. I might like a morbid song for the musical content and might even appreciate the intelligence of the lyrics, but I'll secretly be wishing that the lyricist had written about something else (this is a big part of my struggle with the music of Steven Wilson).

I like the smart use of strings, both synth and real (if it's a good synth I won't be able to tell the difference), and horns.

I love vocal harmonies. Whether that's the same singer's voice layered several times or (preferably) multiple singers or a singer and a chorus, I really like it. Basically just multiple singers is cool.

I also like certain synth sounds. I don't really know how to describe my favorite types of synth sound, but I like ones that sound kind of hollow, like the one that Jordan uses to play that solo between the Medicate and Full Circle vocal sections on Octavarium, and I really like a style that Neal Morse uses a lot, like on that big melody at the beginning of Transatlantic's Set Us Free.

I also really like instrumentally sparse, vocal-driven songs. Often you would describe these songs as being dirge-y, sad ballads or as being "spacey" or both. If there's one of those on an album, odds are it'll be among my favorites. Two examples: Taylor Swift – Last Kiss as more of a ballad type song, and Coldplay – Midnight, as more of a "spacey" song.

Finally, I really like these two songs. So there's that too.
Death Cab For Cutie – Stable Song
Coldplay – Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall

That's what I can give you right now. May not be helpful at all, or may be too pop heavy for some people to really get me (I have to imagine that I lose at least half of my readers every time I use the name "Taylor Swift" on a prog website, and I lose half the remaining readers when I go on to also say "Coldplay") but there it is.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: July 16, 2015, 02:10:23 PM »
Reading that, you may love my EP 425.

*Giddy with excitement*

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #370 on: July 16, 2015, 02:34:41 PM »
Ugh, i would have loved to join your roulette, 425  :facepalm:
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: July 16, 2015, 02:50:53 PM »
And I was the one who took the last spot  :neverusethis:

Reading that, you may love my EP 425.

*Giddy with excitement*
Definitely this. Went with a "pure feels" approach - 6 songs that will deeply move you. I just hope nobody sends the same artists I've planed on this open round, please  :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #372 on: July 16, 2015, 02:59:12 PM »
Ugh, i would have loved to join your roulette, 425  :facepalm:

I would have loved to have you! Though I think having any more than 10 participants would have killed me. Maybe one day eventually there will be a V2. Though right now I have a wealth of new music to check out.

Sacul and king, I'm excited to hear your EPs! I'm really eager to hear what combinations of songs you all put together.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #373 on: July 16, 2015, 08:53:56 PM »
i feel like my EP is gonna suck no matter what I put on it, oh well  :lol

maybe it's 'cause I tend to be an album listener and hearing these songs pulled out of their respective albums is a bit weird to me

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #374 on: July 18, 2015, 05:20:13 PM »
I'm 47.  I need only a half hour or 28 minutes!   :lol

Actually he only needs the last two minutes! :lol

Sacul and king, I'm excited to hear your EPs! I'm really eager to hear what combinations of songs you all put together.
TAC, don't bother!
:omg:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: July 18, 2015, 05:45:50 PM »
 :lol @ both responses Tim.  Lol

Offline 425

« Reply #376 on: July 19, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
TAC, don't bother!
:omg:

:lol

No, but really, I'm excited for all of them!
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #377 on: July 19, 2015, 10:17:41 AM »
i might take a song off my EP that I've been having trouble working around and send it in the next round 'cause this song is PERFECT for your roulette and I want to send this artist for sure but I don't want to ruin my EP's flow over it  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: July 19, 2015, 10:25:35 AM »
i might take a song off my EP that I've been having trouble working around and send it in the next round 'cause this song is PERFECT for your roulette and I want to send this artist for sure but I don't want to ruin my EP's flow over it  :lol

You sure this is not the song I'm sending next round?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: July 19, 2015, 10:27:29 AM »
If one of you guys send a song that's my EP on this next round, I swear I'll punch you all in the throath  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: July 19, 2015, 10:30:26 AM »
If one of you guys send a song that's my EP on this next round, I swear I'll punch you all in the throath  :lol

I think there's a good chance for this to happen. If I recall correctly, I saw you sending this artist in roulettes at least once.

Edit: not with the exact song though. But with the artist, yeah, good chance it is.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline 425

« Reply #381 on: July 19, 2015, 10:32:51 AM »
Yeah, I'll try to give people leeway to keep people's EPs as they are if someone sent one of the artists on the EP in this round or in the next round. But if someone sends the exact song you want to include next time, I can't really help you.  :lol

I'm going to start doing writeups today. This will be on my third listen to all the songs. Even though having a fourth listen would probably help me get the songs a little better, I'm not going to do a fourth listen because this round has already gone on for a while, and we need to move on. I do generally know how most of the songs are going to score at this point, and I think after a third listen and the writeups I'll have a set of scores that I'm satisfied with.

You should expect the results to come hopefully on Tuesday, because it does take me three days to go through these songs.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #382 on: July 19, 2015, 10:46:10 AM »
i think mostly it's because there's no point on an EP where this song can be place late enough, it's not an album closer but it's not something to put near the start either and having it in the middle still doesn't put enough time before it, blah  :lol
also it's way too dark compared to everything else

edit: I just keep redoing this EP omg, I'm trying to make sure I only send top-quality stuff which just results in a lot of reorganization  :rollin

edit2: OKAY I GOT THIS FOR SURE 5 emotionally-driven songs that I arranged into a semi-concept album of sorts  :lol
but I had to boot off two songs I really wanted to send so I'mma give you one of those next round and I'll just send you the last one after this roulette is over 'cause I figure you'll like it
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 11:51:18 AM by Parama »

Offline 425

« Reply #383 on: July 19, 2015, 10:06:38 PM »
Lol, good to know that you've gotten everything worked out, Parama! And yeah, I'd totally encourage people who had like a song or two that they didn't get a chance to send during the roulette but that they think I'd like to send them to me once everything is over. Just don't be a "Parama in the epics round" and send me like ten songs! :lol

I've done four writeups so far. I'm on track to do four more tomorrow and two (Parama's and another) on Tuesday, which is when you should expect to see the results posted.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #384 on: July 19, 2015, 10:48:24 PM »
i'm either getting 9+ or below 5 so this should be fun

and by below 5 I mean 8 exactly 'cause lowest round dropped etc.  :lol

edit: lol I ended up swapping out one longer song for two shorter ones again this will never end omg i hate you for this EP thing
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 12:24:54 AM by Parama »