Author Topic: 425's Roulette v. We crown the skies with our tiara! (Final Results Inside!)  (Read 55183 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i hope these results make me happy  :biggrin:

Offline 425

You won't know for a couple of days yet, because I'm still somewhat early in the process.

I have to say, some of you weren't kidding when you said that you don't quite know what to send for happy rounds! I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, though I might end up taking a quick look at exactly how far I'm going to allow the theme to stretch. I think if I gave all the songs this round to some random non-DTF user and said "this is a playlist of happy songs," I'm not sure they'd completely agree.

Not to say this is a bad group of songs, because it isn't. It's just kind of interesting to me to see the directions in which some of y'all took this round.

And to answer the question that some people asked in PM: Yes, you do in fact get the worst score dropped. This is starting to seem a bit unnecessary to me just looking at how high scores have been across the board so far, but since I said the worst score would be dropped at the beginning of the roulette, I'm absolutely not going to mislead anyone by changing that now. So, yes, your worst score will be dropped.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So, yes, your worst score will be dropped.
Can I get all of my worst scores dropped? :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

I hope he has a calculator.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I hope he has a calculator.
:lol
Yeah, one with a 7.5 button!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline 425

:lol Point taken! Though you actually only got two 7.5s. It surprised me too; I know it feels like more! (I think it probably goes without saying that what I'll really do if your worst score ends up being 7.5 is take out just one 7.5).

Odds are results won't get in until Tuesday. I was going to include quotes from first impressions, but honestly there's just not much to go on from what I've written this time. In general, I'll just say that I'm liking these submissions so far for the most part. Many of them are very quirky or weird songs, some of them in a way that I find very enjoyable and others in a way that's coming close to being a bit too weird for me. There are also some borderline cases with theme compliance. As much as I don't want to dock anyone points for any reason, I may end up taking away a half point if, by the time I do the writeups, I don't get how a particular song is happy/uplifiting/etc. Haven't decided yet exactly how strict I will be there.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
My song is definitely happy so I'll just wait for my high score :hat

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
mine's happy and fun and upbeat and will not get that many points but that's fine

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, chances are this will be my worst result so it's not like those 0.5 points will matter anyway. I would say my song is quite uplifting though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
If my song falls into the "too weird" category, just wait until you hear my submission for the epic round! :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of epic round, are we supposed to be kind of unleashed with the songs' length for that one, or should we still try to keep it not too long?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
If my song falls into the "too weird" category, just wait until you hear my submission for the epic round! :lol

I need to look at some long songs myself.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of epic round, are we supposed to be kind of unleashed with the songs' length for that one, or should we still try to keep it not too long?
I have a 30-min Japanese epic prepared  :P

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!

Devil Doll ftw :metal :metal
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
I have a 30-min Japanese epic prepared  :P

70 minute Canadian prog epic here, in nine movements.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets

Devil Doll ftw :metal :metal

you know it

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about anyone else sending them. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i dunno if I really have any epics I'm sending in a kind-of-long and kind-of-epic song tho

Offline 425

On the subject of the epic round: Does anyone object to switching the epic round and the mini-epic round? The epic round is going to take somewhat more of a time commitment for me, because obviously the songs will be significantly longer than usual. I'm going to be traveling again next week, and it would be probably more convenient for the mini-epics to be the ones I'm listening to during the first half of that week and doing the write ups on while out of town. If no one has a problem with this for some reason, I think that this switch will be better for me and the best way to keep the roulette moving fairly quickly.

For when that time comes: You can send a song of whatever length you want, but I would put a recommended cap at around 25 minutes, for a couple of reasons: 1) If you send me a 48-minute song that I have to listen to several times along with 9 other long songs, I will hate you at least a little bit. 2) No matter how long the thing is, I'm going to listen to it just 3 or 4 times. It'll be hard for me to get a complete sense of even a 20-minute song in that time, but I'll be able to do it well enough to grade it. It'll be nearly impossible for me to get a sense for a 40-minute song in that time.

I'm not going to put a hard cap, because I don't think it makes sense to say that a 24:59 song is 100% okay and a 25:01 song is banned. Just be reasonable about it; use your good judgement. And put yourself in my shoes: imagine that I'm going to listen to this song 3-4 times, sandwiched between 9 other songs of a similar length.

Round 5 results will be posted tomorrow. I will also give a bit of a description of what I'm going for with the mini-epics at that time if no one objects to that being Round 6. For those of you who are starting to think about that now, my briefest description is that you should kind of think Surrounded in terms of overall length, scale and epic feel.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
If anyone would've sent Surrounded-like song for my mini-epic round, I would've docked some points for that. I don't think this song is epic at all. Though I kind of see how people can see it as epic, so alright, no docking points, but anyway.

Fortunately, I know what I'm sending for mini-epic round, but I have no idea what to send for the big epic, I was planning to send that totally awesome 31 minutes long song, but with that 25 minutes cap I don't know. It's an amazing song though, so maybe I'll send it anyway, haha.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 12:05:36 AM by Evermind »

Offline 425

If it's a song that you think will blow me away, but it's longer than 25 minutes, it could very well be worth the risk. I don't mean to dissuade anybody from sending the song they want to send, I just want to make sure things don't get too ridiculous to where I end up with 6 hours of music in one round or something.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't think Surrounded has any "epic" feel. Songs like Hell's Kitchen, Sacrificed Sons, and the demo of Take Away My Pain do really have that vibe IMO.

Offline 425

Okay, fine! :lol Ignore what I said, send what you want! But Sacrificed Sons is way too long for a "mini epic" round and would lose points.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
But Sacrificed Sons is way too long for a "mini epic" round and would lose points.

Yeah, it's epic, but it's definitely not "mini epic". And Hell's Kitchen is kind of not good. *hides*

Anyway, I've got incredibly epic song for that round. I hope you'll like it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Anyway, I've got incredibly epic song for that round. I hope you'll like it.
I've got like 3 or 4 actually, don't know which to send :lol .

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I've got a lot too, but this one is the only non-metal song among those.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've got:

19 min world music, new age prog folk
35 min electronic/neoclassical Japanese piece
16 min neoclassical live piece
16 and 22 min post-rock epics respectively

Any advise on what should I send? :P

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I meant the mini-epic round actually, haha.

I think you should send 35 minutes electronic Japanese tune anyway. I mean, what can go wrong?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well the cyberpolice may trace my location and arrest me because I murdered him of mind-blown.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
And Hell's Kitchen is kind of the best DT instrumental and a top 10 song. *hides*
FTFM

I can do mini-epic round that's fine since I do have a song picked out for that but not for the epic round  :lol

Offline 425

Re: 425's Roulette v. Will you be happy about these results?
« Reply #240 on: June 18, 2015, 12:42:46 AM »
Not a lot of preface here from me. I think I've already given most of my broad, general thoughts about this round. So I'll just get right into the writeups.

Round Five Results

Scorpion: Extreme - Play With Me

This is one of several songs in this round that I found to be very weird. Unfortunately, unlike some of the others, its weirdness didn't really do it for me.

This song is by no means boring. There's a lot going on, between the use of a classical theme at the beginning and the use of childlike vocals on some of the choruses and on a rather odd insertion of the children's rhyme about sitting in a tree on the bridge. All this makes for a rather fun and entertaining song, but, for me, it's not much more than that.

The verses are really just not the good. The chorus is better, but it's also very cheesy and not in a way that is particularly likable to me. And the fact that there's a lot going on doesn't really matter when I find most of the stuff that's going on to be odd. The overall sound also screams 80s hair metal, which is a genre that I don't mind listening to on occasion, but is not one that I enjoy that greatly. I can see why someone would like this song more than I did, but, especially compared to some of the other songs in this round, this just stands as a fairly mediocre song in my view.

Score: 6.0

Big Hath: Alcest - Summer's Glory

This lengthy metal song is the definite black sheep in a round of fairly unusual entries. I'd somewhat heard of the band Alcest, but I never expected them to be a band that I would receive in the "happy" round. And having heard the song, I'm still not sure I quite get your choice to pair it with this theme. Nevertheless, on my last listen (which is when I made this decision), I've decided that this song does fit into the broader category of "uplifting" music and won't receive a penalty for missing the round theme.

Nevertheless, the song itself is fairly good. Of all the songs I've received in this roulette, this is one of the ones that I feel like I've "digested" least in the maximum four listens I allot to each song. Typically, I get a song pretty well after the third listen and have a general idea what I'm going to say about it in the writeup and what score I'm going to give it. This one is still a bit of a mystery to me on the fourth listen. That makes it kind of hard to score, because I think it's possible that it will have more to offer me in the future than it does now. But I have to score it for how I feel about it now.

I suppose this song would be considered "post metal"? It definitely has some similarities to what little post rock I have heard with a more metallic element, as one would expect. The heavily distorted guitars produce these big, slow melodies that result in a rather nice soundscape. The vocals are pretty low in the mix, but they don't seem to be supremely important to the song, at least compared to the guitars. Speaking of the mix, this is first song in the roulette where I have felt compelled to comment on the production. The production here is not very good. It sounds a bit distant and overall just kind of poorly done. I understand that this is a popular thing to do in black metal, so I recognize that it might be intentional. But intentional or not, I don't particularly like it. The song would benefit from better production, IMO.

Though I allow the possibility for the song to grow in the future, more so than I do for other songs in the roulette, right now it's just good for me, not near the top of the round.

Score: 7.5

TAC: Deep Purple - I'm So Glad

This song definitely belongs in the very large group of songs I've received this round that I find somewhat strange. In this case, the strangeness isn't really stylistic—it has more to do with the song structure. The main part of the song, with the verses and choruses, appears in the second part of a seven-minute track after a long instrumental intro that features a lot of kind of strange synths. There's nothing wrong with this song structure per se, but it's rather unusual and made the song harder for me to approach.

The music itself is pretty good here, particularly in the main part. The verses, both vocally and in terms of backing music, are quite solid and memorable. The long intro also has some sections that are quite good. However, some of the instrumental interludes are not as excellent and not that memorable. Plus, the overall song structure is very strange for me. I think I would prefer this if the instrumental intro were on a different track entirely, and the vocal parts were their own separate song, without some of the intervening parts between verses. The result of this song, the way it is presently structured, is that there's kind of a long song, with parts I like quite a bit and parts I don't like so well, but with the main part I like being basically a rather simple and short song. The full 7:19 piece is still very good, but I have my reservations.

Score: 7.5

OpenYourEyes311: Fastball - Warm Fuzzy Feeling

This little rock song is a really nice, short expression of joy and pride. Lyrically, it's a really nice sentiment of pride in an accomplished friend. There's also an element of social criticism in there, but the dominant subject, for me, is the pride.

There isn't really too much to say here, because this song is so short and simple, but that's part of what makes it good. There are just a couple of good happy verses over a memorable guitar riff, and the song ends without overstaying its welcome. There's nothing stunning about it, but it's a really nice, short happy song.

Score: 8.0

kingshmegland: Butterfly Jones - Sunshine and Ecstasy

One of those songs that is downright fun, right here. The music is superbly energetic, particularly the drums which give the song a racing feel. I could definitely see myself playing this song while driving; it's so great for that. The vocals really bring the same exuberant, carefree feeling. That chorus is absolutely infectious. I cannot get it out of my head, but in a good way. It's an extremely fun song that brings all sorts of excitement. That's exactly what I was hoping to get from some of the songs this round.

Score: 8.0

Evermind: Amethystium - Treasure

Evermind, this song sounded pretty good to me from your description, and your description was pretty spot-on. This is a really pretty electronic song that is low on the beats and noisy stuff that seems to come in a lot of electronic music.

The main instrumental melody is pretty simple without too much variation, which provides a nice spotlight for the singer, who is just fantastic. Her voice just sounds impossibly sweet and beautiful. She really makes the piece for me, making the already-good vocal melodies absolutely shine. Definitely in the top five of the prettiest voices I have ever heard. For her alone I want to check this band out. The instrumentals, while they are not the main focus, are quite good as well and are a nice added bonus.

Score: 8.0 + 0.5 bonus = 8.5

lonestar: Grateful Dead - Uncle John's Band

Ah, the Grateful Dead. They are actually my stepfather's favorite band—he followed them around on tour for a while. So I've definitely heard a lot about them and their greatness, and I've heard some of their songs, but I never really sat down and listened to them seriously on my own. Well, now I am.

As for the song itself: I really like it, quite a bit. It's a pretty simple folky piece musically, but I really love that here. The instrumentation fits perfectly alongside the vocals to maintain the mood of the song. The vocals, in turn, really bring the lyrics to life in a lot of places. This is really just a emotionally lively piece where all the parts work together to create a really lovely whole. It's also got a good deal of variety. I love hearing the changes in tension level in the singing, between the powerful "God damn, well I declare" and some of the softer "come hear Uncle John's band" parts. Overall, a really uplifting folk song that will definitely give me the impetus to dig deeper into this group's discography.

Score: 8.5 + 0.5 bonus = 9.0

Parama: fun. - Walking the Dog

Obviously, this is a band I've heard a little from. Just the hits, though: Some Nights and We Are Young. Never gone deeper, but I liked those.

This song is damn fun. Really. To quote Parama: "fun fun happy fun happy happy fun" :lol . And it's true. There's a lot of stop-start and staccato on the vocal melodies. Which makes them all the more fun and memorable. Absolutely infectious. The music is also super bouncy and enjoyable. This one has had me dancing around and singing along with the chorus, which is an absolute delight. Great little song, from what seems like a pretty good little band.

ShadowNinja 2.0: Kishi Bashi - Philosophize In It! Chemicalize With It!

This is another insanely fun little song. It's a little weird, yes (the video is animated but features a live-action clapping family and many of the same violinist?), but in a charming way.

This is another of several songs in this roulette that I've admired for seamlessly integrating a lot of different musical styles. There's acoustic rock and electronic elements, yes, and also a symphonic/violin part, all working together really well in a 3.5 minute song. I really like the singer's work on the high-pitched vocal melodies, particularly on the chorus when he goes way up "fountain of my many . It impresses me every time he does that. On the whole this is just a really nice happy piece.

Sacul: Sufjan Stevens - Chicago

A really impressive song here, and my definite favorite of the round. This piece manages to incorporate a pop sensibility and some diversity in instrumentation into a pretty emotionally weighty song with a pretty big scope. I really like the presence of string and brass instruments in this song, particularly the horns, which, combined with the synths, gives an interesting feel to the song of a fairly modern piece that has older elements, as well, stylistically.

Sacul, you wrote that you thought I'd like how personal this song is. That is you really getting me this time around, because I do absolutely love that. The song really seems to matter a lot to him lyrically, but it also has a really beautiful universal message. The alternation between his solo vocals on the verses and the chorus of many voices singing the chorus. The part where the chorus sings with little musical accompaniment is a really pretty moment. The message here seems to be rather religious, which I am not, but which I do find absolutely beautiful at its best. In this case I absolutely love the lyrics on the chorus and the beauty and emotional power with which the chorus delivers them. Just an absolutely beautiful song. "All things go, all things go."

Score: 9.0 + 0.5 bonus = 9.5

I'm going to go ahead and ban all ten artists from this round as well. I'll probably just continue to ban every artist that is sent, simply in the interest of getting more diversity.

Natural Standings
ShadowNinja 2.0 - 44.5
Parama - 44.0
OpenYourEyes311 - 43.0
Evermind - 42.5
Scorpion - 42.0
kingshmegland - 41.0
lonestar - 41.0
Sacul - 41.0
Big Hath - 40.5
TAC - 38.5

And I'm also going to start doing a calculation of how much everyone would have with their worst score dropped. Up until now we really didn't have enough rounds done to where it made sense to me to do that, but now it does make sense.

Adjusted Standings
Parama - 36.0
ShadowNinja 2.0 - 36.0
Scorpion - 36.0
OpenYourEyes311 - 35.0
Evermind - 34.5
Sacul - 34.0
kingshmegland - 33.5
lonestar - 33.5
Big Hath - 33.0
TAC - 31.0

Round Six: Tiny Epic

No one objected to it, so I'm switching the mini epic and epic rounds for my own convenience. Please take note of this. This is the tiny epic round.

A tiny epic should be a relatively short song that displays some kind of grandiosity or epic-ness. In the original post, I said that this song should be six minutes or less. I don't want to be too strict about this, so I won't come after you if your song is 6:10 or something, but you need to be trying to keep it as short as possible. If the song is too long in my judgment, you'll get a penalty for missing the theme. I can guarantee that if you're under 6 minutes, you will not receive any penalty. If you are over six minutes, I'll exercise my own judgement and you might be penalized. Just keep that in mind.

I was going to give a description of what I consider to a be a mini-epic, but everyone seems to already have their own ideas, which is fine by me. I would just say this: if you're uncertain about what to send, know that if the song has several different parts that don't repeat much and it doesn't have a chorus, it will seem more epic to me. This isn't to say that you have to do this or that any song that does this fits the theme, but it's a good general idea that I hope provides a bit of insight into my mindset. Anyway, go forth.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:13:59 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: June 18, 2015, 12:53:40 AM »
hah okay so this is mini-epic in the literal sense
the last time it was in the "epic sound" sense and i sent in a song that more fit the sense you're looking for here (another fun. song specifically  :lol )

i'll find something that meets your expectations hopefully  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: June 18, 2015, 03:01:51 AM »
Damn, mediocre score once again. Maybe we shouldn't drop the lowest score? I like the fourth place better than fifth. :lol But anyway, at least there are no more happy rounds.

My mini-epic song totally fits your description, no chorus, no identical verses, epic feel and all that. I'll send when I'm back from work. Hoping for a great score this round.

Also, I think that Kishi Bashi song got 3/10 in my roulette.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: June 18, 2015, 05:42:15 AM »
Glad you liked the song.  Surprised I didn't get a +.5.  They are not a prog band at all!

Mini Epic.  I'll work on the tonight!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #244 on: June 18, 2015, 06:48:42 AM »
...And the freefall from the top continues! Haha, oh well... I gotta get my  :censored together!  :lol

Surprised I didn't get a +.5.  They are not a prog band at all!

Yeah, same here! Although I'm not sure I remember what qualifies us for the +.5 anymore.

Hopefully I can regain some ground in the next few rounds.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.