Author Topic: 425's Roulette v. We crown the skies with our tiara! (Final Results Inside!)  (Read 55205 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: 425's Roulette v. Club Going Up On a Friday (Round 4 Listening)
« Reply #175 on: June 05, 2015, 08:44:47 AM »
(amusingly in my timezone they've all actually been on thursday though  :lol )
Do you live in Hawaii by any chance? :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: 425's Roulette v. Club Going Up On a Friday (Round 4 Listening)
« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2015, 01:30:37 PM »
i live in cst

Offline 425

Re: 425's Roulette v. No results yet, so don't get excited
« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2015, 11:22:15 PM »
It might be a little bit longer, folks. As I said, I've been traveling and I've had a busy past few days. On top of that, I'm feeling a bit fatigued, probably from a combination of the sadness of this round and having listened to so much new music thus far in the roulette, so I'd like to give myself a little longer to let these songs sink in to make sure I give them a fair go. I'd say best case scenario, Saturday night, hopefully Sunday night latest. I'm not planning to make a habit of being late like this, though. Hopefully I get back into more of a regular pace next week.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #178 on: June 05, 2015, 11:27:53 PM »
I WAS EXCITED AND YOU LET ME DOWN
but take your time srsly

insert take the time joke here

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: June 07, 2015, 07:36:31 PM »
 :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #180 on: June 07, 2015, 07:53:58 PM »
AND IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
WIIIIIIIIIILLL AAAAAAAALWWAAAAAAAAYYYYYS LOOOOOOOVE
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #181 on: June 07, 2015, 08:41:30 PM »
man where the FUCK

are my results

j/k, just give my song an awesome score

Offline 425

« Reply #182 on: June 07, 2015, 09:08:47 PM »
I'm so sorry. I tried to listen on the plane today, but the Wi-Fi was so bad that YouTube didn't work. I'm listening right now, but I'll need one more listen to do the write-ups, and it will need to not be right after the current listen. Tomorrow is definitely the day. And I really will try not to make a habit of this. This was just a weird week for me in terms of scheduling and in terms of the contents of the round (for a variety of reasons, I probably would not do a round with a "sad" theme if I were to host another roulette).

Here are some early impressions of mine, way late, to tide you over.

"Towards the end the singing becomes really powerful."
"That buildup is really good."
"However, this doesn’t quite have that emotional gut punch for me right now."
"I slightly know [this artist/person], primarily from [song]; this is almost equally as sad."
"Good, but still not great, [other song from this artist] definitely ranks higher
"These lyrics are soul wrenching."
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2015, 09:28:30 PM »
1, 2, 6 are all ones I want to be about my entry. Please.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2015, 09:33:05 PM »
1, 2, 6 are all ones I want to be about my entry. Please.

Offline 425

« Reply #185 on: June 07, 2015, 09:36:30 PM »
One more, straight from what I'm typing now as I'm finishing the penultimate round of listening:

"This song is almost bringing me to tears right now."
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2015, 09:37:12 PM »
^my song

Offline 425

« Reply #187 on: June 07, 2015, 09:37:52 PM »
Maybe.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: June 07, 2015, 10:16:34 PM »
It's clearly mine :hat .

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: June 07, 2015, 10:29:14 PM »
Hopefully the third one isn't mine.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #190 on: June 07, 2015, 11:20:33 PM »
If the third one is mine, then you have no soul.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #191 on: June 08, 2015, 12:09:01 AM »
but in reality i have no clue how this will do though hopefully well since you've liked my last three entries pretty well  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2015, 08:29:51 PM »
If the third one is mine, then you have no soul.

Offline 425

« Reply #193 on: June 08, 2015, 08:49:16 PM »
The third one finally got to me last night, actually. I'll be sure to indicate which it was in the writeup, for the curious. But it's not going to be among the lowest scorers.

Writeups are happening right now. Just so you know, you all might want to take a quick look at what the other entries were before reading the writeup for yours, just to see if you were one of the people who submitted the same artist. I casually make reference to the other song in each of their writeups, so you'll probably want to at least know if you were one of those people and what the other song was.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #194 on: June 08, 2015, 09:15:13 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand  :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #195 on: June 08, 2015, 09:31:34 PM »
the great hype machine

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: June 08, 2015, 09:46:57 PM »
:dangerwillrobinson:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #197 on: June 08, 2015, 09:49:17 PM »
 :millahhhh

Offline 425

Re: 425's Roulette v. Getting down on Monday. Or Tuesday.
« Reply #198 on: June 08, 2015, 10:10:52 PM »
I mentioned yesterday that I somewhat wished I hadn't done a sad round. That's partially true. Doing a sad round is emotionally trying and requires more effort to get into the right mood to listen to the music. That was a big part of the delay. It's also a more sensitive round to grade. Most people are sending songs that have some level of emotional pull for them, so it's worrying to me that I'm going to end up totally disliking a song that means a lot to someone and having to give them a bad score. It's especially frustrating when I know that a song has a great deal of meaning for the artist and probably for the person sending it, but just due to my experiences, it doesn't resonate with me as much as it did for the sender.

But there were upsides to the sad round. For one thing, this probably ended up being the best round of the roulette so far. Maybe because a lot of these songs got to me emotionally, but I really do love a good emotional sad song. There are plenty of really good songs in here, and it's been as tough as ever for me to differentiate despite buying myself that extra increment with my recent change to the scoring. I don't want to put anything at the very top, but at the same time, nothing this round merited anything else but a high score. So we have yet another round with a lot of high scores crowded together. I'm trying to convince myself to stop worrying too much about this, though I have to make sure that there's enough of a spread for it to make sense that songs x, y and z have the same score. Hopefully, it will all work out in the end and we'll have a clear winner. But I think the fact that this thing is still really quite close almost halfway into it demonstrates how pleased I have been with everyone's entries so far. And I hope that, even if it seems like you and I don't quite mesh as well in terms of music tastes as I do with some others, this roulette has been enjoyable to you so far and will continue to be a good time, even if you don't win.

And remember that I had thrown out the old score scaling and decided to start over with that this round, before you freak out upon seeing a two-digit number. It would have been a 9.5 last round.

Now, without any further delay:

Round 4 Results

TAC: Gary Moore - Empty Rooms

This is a pretty nice power ballad. It definitely wears its 80s style on its sleeve, but I find that pretty likable in this case. The synths are a bit cheesy, especially on the quiet section, but they really do work for this song. Of course, the guitar is one of the main focuses here, and Gary Moore’s playing is very good. The verses and choruses are well-written and quite memorable. His voice is pleasing and fits quite well into the song.

This song is a really solid entry. There’s a lot to like about this song and really nothing to hate. It’s a really good piece. It doesn’t quite resonate with me quite as powerfully as some of the other songs this round do, but it definitely is a really good song.

Score: 7.5

Sacul: Brand New - Handcuffs

This has been a stealthy grower for me this round. At first, it really didn’t do that much for me. It was a nice little song, but it didn’t really make an impression on me beyond that. As I’ve gone on, though, it’s sneakily gotten itself stuck in my head and pressured me a bit as to whether it does properly go below its album-mate.

This really is a nice little song from a band that is obviously talented, as has been made clear to me this round. The singer is probably the centerpiece here and brings a really nice sense of melancholy to the song. I also really like the background work from the electric guitar and the synths. Lyrics are a bit… intense for me at times, and I get the sense that that’s something I’d have to get used to with this band. But I can’t ignore the fact that this is a really nice little song. “I’d arrest you if I had handcuffs” has worked its way right into my head.

Score: 8.0 + 0.5 bonus = 8.5

OpenYourEyes311: Michael Jackson - She’s Out of My Life

This is obviously an artist that I was familiar with before hearing this song. I’d always liked Michael Jackson’s hits well enough, but had never really dug deeper into his catalog or thought about him in the context of deeply emotional songs. So you definitely did correct an automatic evaluation I had made of this particular artist.

Jackson’s voice is obviously the centerpiece of this song, and he does really well. I’d always known he had a really good voice, but this is, again, more than I had known him to be capable of. He does so well at carrying this slow, vocally-driven, emotional piece. On the most emotional parts, he really does bring a powerful sense of pain and sadness to the song. Very well done. I’m also pleased by the role of the instrumental parts in this song. The synths do really well at sitting in the background but also boosting his voice whenever they’re needed to do so. Nicely done.

Score: 8.0 + 0.5 bonus = 8.5

lonestar: Marillion - Sugar Mice

I had, of course, previously heard of Marillion and had heard this mentioned as one of the best songs from the band and even of its genre. Shamefully, I had not given it a pass until now. Fortunately, lonestar has corrected that.

This song pairs its absolutely devastating lyrics with a very good musical approach to create a really emotionally powerful piece the likes of which you really are not likely to hear in this style (at least, in my opinion). On the surface, this song doesn’t seem that notable, but it really is. The vocal melodies are really excellent. The playing is fantastic, just a cut above. I’d known Pete Trewavas from Transatlantic, so I knew to listen for excellent bass playing, and I wasn’t disappointed.

But ultimately, this song is about the lyrical message. Which is just devastating. This is a very sad song indeed, and the music (particularly the singing) captures the sense of regret portrayed in the lyrics extremely well. “Your daddy took a rain check.” Wow.

Score: 8.5

Parama: Pain of Salvation - Undertow

Another band that I probably should have checked out by now, but hadn’t yet. And another band that I’m learning I should have checked out.

This song builds a really great vibe in its first couple of minutes. The guitar playing and the synths/keys set the scene in a really compelling fashion. Daniel Gildenlöw’s singing is really nice. His voice is soft with just the right amount of roughness to fit with the emotion of the piece.

The crescendo is probably the best part of the song. Gildenlöw’s voice becomes really outstanding on the climax of the song. He builds a great deal of emotional power and makes the song feel as desperate as it does. “Let me drain! Let me die!” And then the ending brings it full-circle quite nicely. This is quite a good piece and one that has definitely encouraged me to give Pain of Salvation a look.

Score: 8.5

Evermind: Mark Knopfler - Dream of the Drowned Submariner

I know Mark Knopfler primarily from the Dire Straits song Brothers In Arms, which scores a key portion of the best episode of television ever, The West Wing's “Two Cathedrals.” This song may not quite reach that song’s level of greatness, but it is almost equally as sad. I don’t know why I brought that up, really, besides from a desire to give a little background of my limited familiarity with this artist.

Just from my limited experience with him, Knopfler is really quite notable in my mind for his emotive singing and guitar playing. This song is a perfect example of that. Most of the guitar work is pretty simplistic acoustic plucking, but it just works. The little outbursts of electric guitar work add the perfect touch to the piece. And the synth work is a lovely backdrop.

Knopfler’s vocal performance is fantastic and is why this song is so sad. He isn’t the most technically impressive singer, but he’s one of those guys who hits just the right notes, musically and emotionally, and has a really pleasing tone on top of that. The end result is a really pleasant but very sad piece of music.

Score: 8.5 + 0.5 bonus = 9.0

Big Hath: Kevin Gilbert - Song for a Dead Friend

Apparently this is a song that you’re not supposed to send in sad rounds? I knew going in that this was a stereotypical sad round song, which is why it was so perplexing to me that it really didn’t have the emotional gut punch for me that it had for so many others. First listen, I thought the music was good, but I didn’t feel much. Second listen, mostly the same thing. Finally, on the third listen, it clicked for me emotionally, at least to the extent that it could for me, since I haven’t had the experience that the song speaks to.

This is one of those songs that’s really genius in its simplicity. The instrumental aspect really works off of just one simple melody, but that melody is good enough that it just works. The singing also rests in the repetition of a few melodies, but Gilbert’s voice brings a great deal of emotional weight to it. The lyrics are devastating, and when combined with the sadness of the music, they result in one of the saddest songs I’ve heard.

Score: 9.0

Scorpion: Brand New - Limousine

The other song from Brand New that I received this round. I’m surprised that I had not heard of this artist up until now, because they are really, really good. I do recognize this album art from somewhere, and I’ll definitely have to get this disc, because I’ve liked two of its songs already.

This song is just a really excellent, multi-part, 7-minute conceptual piece. It oscillates extremely well between quiet and loud, soft and intense. It starts with an almost morbidly sad part that is quite touching, which soon gives way to an aggressive intense part. That then slips into the catchiest part, which is also really saddening but sounds really good. The repetition of “never again” leads right into a rather awe-inspiring building section that involves the near repetition of another line. I’ve always really quite loved songs that repeat something very similar with slight changes to build intensity. This reminds me of Intervals, actually, due to the counting aspect, and while it’s not quite Octavarium, this is really excellent in its own, really sad way. The intensity continues into a really nice riff that is only played one time, but is another really good part of the song.

The one thing that brings this song a bit for me is the very end. I don’t really like it when songs degenerate into (to me) pointless guitar noise. In fact, I really don’t like it. See my numerous comments all over this forum on Misunderstood. This is such an awesome song that it still scores really high despite that, and it’s helped by the fact that I can just turn it off before most of the noise comes on, but I just thought I’d note that particular annoyance of mine.

Score: 9.0 + 0.5 bonus = 9.5

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Red House Painters - Katy Song

This was my favorite song of the round right off the bat, and it’s remained one of my favorites throughout. And it’s another great song from an artist I’ve never heard of.

The singer’s voice and the lyrics are really what make this song so special. It’s not extraordinary musically, though the guitar playing is actually rather nice and does the perfect job of setting a sad backdrop. But it’s his voice that makes it. He really brings the perfect sense of sadness tinged with regret and just a tiny bit of hope.

The only downside of this song is its long runtime. The last few minutes fit in well with the song, yes. The wordless singing is quite sad and rather fitting with the mood of the whole thing. I can’t help but feel that the ending goes on a bit too long, though. Due to the overall excellence of the song, though, I can’t say that detracted from the score much.

The lyrics hit home a bit for me. They don’t exactly speak to a personal experience of mine, but they are relatable to me because I really have felt a lot like the protagonist does a lot of times before. And this is the song that nearly brought me to tears last night during my penultimate listening.

Score: 9.0 + 0.5 = 9.5

kingshmegland: Ben Folds Five - Brick

A great song from an artist that I’ve never even heard of before, yet again. This is the one that’s really stuck with me from this round. This is a devastatingly sad piece that is also just tremendous musically.

Something about high scoring songs makes me want to say less rather than more. The music really just speaks for itself to me. This is just a tremendous song, and I do think it speaks for itself, so I’m not going to say too much about it. But here goes.

The singer and pianist is just tremendous. His voice is really sad and relatable. He really just puts me in the situation. And for whatever reason, just from hearing the song and watching the video, I really feel strongly that I like him as a person.

The vocal melodies are fantastic here as well. The verses are so sad. And chorus is catchier and really depressing and just a bit messed up. It’s a special kind of despair that this song finds its way into, lyrically. The people in the song are going through a tremendously traumatic situation, one that, according to the singer’s explanation of the lyrics that I looked up, would be way more traumatic for her than for him. But his thoughts are not about her well-being—she’s a brick. And he’s drowning slowly. It’s this really immensely sad and desperate song, in which he is not exactly a good guy but is at the same time incredibly relatable. And it’s all in a 4:30 song. Just an amazing entry.

Score: 9.5 + 0.5 bonus = 10.0

All (nine this time) artists from this round are now banned.

Standings:
Scorpion - 36.0
Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 35.5
OpenYourEyes311 - 35.0
Parama - 35.0
Evermind - 34.0
Big Hath - 33.0
kingshmegland - 33.0
lonestar - 32.0
Sacul - 31.5
TAC - 31.0

Again, let me know if I've erred in calculating scores somehow.

Round 5: Happy Round

By happy, I really just mean some sort of positive emotion. This can be joyful, uplifting, etc. Again, I'm not going to be super strict thematically, but your submission should just be a "feel good song" on the whole. It should make me feel happier from listening to it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:17:57 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i will literally happy your face off with this band, even the band name is supr happy

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Damn you Scorpion! I was going to send that same song in another round :lol . But it's Brand New, so you're forgiven :heart .

I find Handcuffs fits better in the album context because it closes it, and it's a somewhat calm song in a highly emotional record - like the calm after the storm.

Will send later.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Middle of the pack again, damn you guys, stop sending those great songs. I'll never catch up with all the 9.5 and 10 you're getting. :lol

Anyway, glad you liked it, 425. I need to think about the next round, I don't have a lot of happy music.

And I thought Scorp will send that Kevin Gilbert song too, I was wrong.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
sent

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Go big or go home. Sent....

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
WOOOOT!!

Too bad I can't use Ben Folds Five again.  They have some great happy tunes as well!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent some moderately happy and really uplifting electronic-ambient tune.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sent some happy folk :D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
So, everybody's in?  ;D

Offline 425

Yep, everybody's in as of yesterday. I'm going to try to make this as quick a turnaround as possible.
And if spirit's a sign,