Author Topic: 425's Roulette v. We crown the skies with our tiara! (Final Results Inside!)  (Read 55150 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: 425's Roulette v. Round 1 Results
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2015, 12:12:03 AM »
see, 9.5, i told you
anyways i was gonna send in Ayreon this round but I don't wanna double dip when The Gentle Storm was sent just a round ago even if Ayreon is distinct enough sooo let me send something else

speaking of The Gentle Storm, the last four tracks on the album are always where I lose interest completely, you should've sent something like Shores of India or... Shores of India actually yeah

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2015, 12:14:07 AM »
I was hoping for 9, but I guess 8 will do for the first round.

Casualties of Cool is one of three Devin albums I enjoy. Moon is nice, but no more than 7.5 for me.

I know what I'm sending this round. You'll get my song when I get back from work.

Edit: nah, Shores of India is one of my least favourite tracks. I was choosing between Cape of Storms, The Moment and New Horizons.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline 425

« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2015, 12:16:31 AM »
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention this:

Every artist sent last round should now be considered banned. I would consider not banning an artist if I was sent a song from them that I didn't like and rated poorly, but I think everything this past round was good enough to ban.

But, other projects by the same artist are not banned. So Ayreon, Devin Townsend Project, these are not banned. The reason is that just because I say "hmm, I liked The Gentle Storm" does not mean I'm automatically going to decide to get an Ayreon album. So other projects of these artists are legal.

So Parama, you can legally send Ayreon if you want, but I understand why if you don't want to either.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2015, 12:20:15 AM »
The reason is that just because I say "hmm, I liked The Gentle Storm" does not mean I'm automatically going to decide to get an Ayreon album.

You really should though.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2015, 12:23:08 AM »
Alright, off to a good start!

Now, to send something by Devin before he's banned.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2015, 12:23:19 AM »
i'll probably send in Ayreon in round 3 or 4 if nobody else does
also note by that loophole there are about... 5-6 other Arjen Lucassen projects you could still get entries from, though The Gentle Storm is probably the most distinct of them all
i'm not gonna submit Devin again either but someone else totally should

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2015, 12:28:08 AM »
I just did.

Offline 425

« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2015, 12:30:21 AM »
i'll probably send in Ayreon in round 3 or 4 if nobody else does
also note by that loophole there are about... 5-6 other Arjen Lucassen projects you could still get entries from, though The Gentle Storm is probably the most distinct of them all

If I start getting material from several very similar projects by Arjen Lucassen, I'll ban him. But right now I want to leave it open.

The reason is that just because I say "hmm, I liked The Gentle Storm" does not mean I'm automatically going to decide to get an Ayreon album.

You really should though.

Perhaps, but that's not always how it works in my head. Which is an interesting place.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2015, 12:33:13 AM »
Btw, 425 - should have asked this before sending - do you like it when we write something in our PMs about our choices or do you find that that makes you go into listening with preconceived notions that you'd rather not have?

Offline 425

« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2015, 12:50:03 AM »
I'm fine either way. If you have something you want to say, I'd be happy to read whatever thoughts you have. If not, that's fine too. It shouldn't affect the way I go into listening all that much—last time around I made a habit of glancing over the artists' Wikipedia entries, anyway, so it's not like I'm going in cold if you don't say anything in the PM.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2015, 06:55:44 AM »
Sent! Also if you liked that song I'd recommend checking out the whole Bloom album.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2015, 07:15:28 AM »
9.5. Nailed it.

haha, I'm glad you enjoyed my entry. I was unsure how it would go over, but it's one of my favorite songs (and albums) of the past few years. I actually found them kind of by accident as they were the opening band at a show I was attending. They just blew me away.

I'll send my next song probably tonight.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:17:44 PM by OpenYourEyes311 »
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2015, 07:56:46 AM »
Cool.  I'll work on a song to send tomorrow.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2015, 08:04:51 AM »
Cool, I can live with an 8. Can you do us a favor and list the newly banned artist in the first or second post please? That way we don't have to dig through the thread to find stuff, and I know a few of us like to send some of the same bands. Thanks man!!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2015, 08:47:14 AM »
Sent.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2015, 10:12:57 AM »
Ok no go grindcore for you. :lol . What fascinates me more about Burial is how it seems to lack a songwriting, so I can lose myself into his songs. But I guess I never noticed the repetition of themes so much as you - give it a chance anyways, you may dig it.

There are some interesting omissions on your list, so I made a playlist with possible songs to send, but it ended up with 30 or so tunes lel. Will send later.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:59:44 AM by Sacul »

Offline 425

« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
Can you do us a favor and list the newly banned artist in the first or second post please? That way we don't have to dig through the thread to find stuff, and I know a few of us like to send some of the same bands. Thanks man!!

Yeah, absolutely. I was going to do it last night, actually, but then I wound up not doing it. It'll be a second list in the Banned Artists post.

To everyone: The fact that I'm banning everyone's artists signifies that I found this to be a really good round and plan to investigate all of these artists further at some point.

Sacul, I'll definitely give Burial more of a chance. There was a lot to like there, and in a particular mood I really liked that song. It just kind of fell a bit lower overall than the rest.

Shadow Ninja, I will definitely put Bloom on my list. Thanks!

OpenYourEyes, that's actually quite interesting. Sometimes it's those accidental discoveries that turn out to be the best. I really appreciate you taking the risk and sending me that song; I would probably never have found it otherwise, and I enjoyed it a whole lot.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2015, 03:59:41 PM »
Round 2 sent
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2015, 08:57:30 PM »
Sacul, I'll definitely give Burial more of a chance. There was a lot to like there, and in a particular mood I really liked that song. It just kind of fell a bit lower overall than the rest.
Fair enough I guess. Sent.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2015, 06:41:11 AM »
425, I forgot to tell you that the lead singer is also the guitarist.   I just saw them at RoSfest this year.  He is working on an album with Nick D'virgillio (Spock's Beard) on drums and Jonas Reighnhold (Karmakanic & Flower Kings) on bass.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2015, 08:47:27 AM »
Sent.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2015, 10:04:36 AM »
Sent!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2015, 08:32:43 PM »
Has everybody sent? :)

Offline 425

« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2015, 08:59:57 PM »
Yes. I'm in the listening process; I imagine it'll be Thursday again. I don't think a week per round is too terribly slow, right?
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2015, 09:01:40 PM »
Seems like a good pace to me. Especially considering that all the songs will rarely be sent much before then.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2015, 10:27:31 PM »
Yes. I'm in the listening process; I imagine it'll be Thursday again.

Well, last time it was Friday... :biggrin:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2015, 02:23:50 AM »
Yes. I'm in the listening process; I imagine it'll be Thursday again.

Well, last time it was Friday... :biggrin:

:p

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2015, 11:52:57 AM »

Offline 425

« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2015, 10:26:01 PM »
Technically, I guess, but... It was basically... Whatever, do you want these first impression teases or not?

"Honestly this seems like exactly the type of band I’ve been on the lookout for."
"[this] is where I wish DT would have taken the tiny bit of this that they used on [song]"
"Like the overall sound of this piece as well, super electronic and vibe-y."
"I think this is actually the singer from [another band I've received in this roulette]? I think I like [him/her] better here."

This round is not as strong on the whole as Round 1—I don't see anything here that I feel like is supremely likely to earn a 9 this time, whereas there was already one pretty definite 9 by this point last week. On the other hand, this round is still pretty strong on the whole, and I'm predicting that I'll have trouble again differentiating between many songs that attain "good, not great" scores.

send worse songs people. god.

Actually, don't. This is a good problem to have.

Edit: Maybe y'all could similarly say to me "be less open-minded. god."
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2015, 12:20:47 AM »
yep that third comment is my entry

Offline 425

« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2015, 09:01:41 PM »
Maybe...

Actually, that comment could probably apply to two or three songs I got this round.

And, just saying, but I'd really have a hard time writing a comment about your song—that didn't give away that it was your song and what I thought of it—while being at all substantive.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2015, 09:27:18 PM »
I guess the first one is about my tune :coolio

Offline 425

« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2015, 09:45:46 PM »
Loving the confidence here about the vaguest of comments. I honestly considered not even posting these this time because everything I had written was either so specific that it would reveal exactly which song I was talking about or hopeless vague. But I guess y'all seem to be appreciating the teasers.

So, I thought that this round was weaker than last round. As it turns out, I suppose y'all decided to send me a bunch of growers? Because a whole lot of these songs have gotten a lot better with each listen. This is going to be another round with a bunch of high scores bunched together. I guess that's almost to be expected for this entire roulette, since I'm pretty open to different styles of music and since you all are presumably sending me songs that you consider to be among the best of their particular style. This is pretty good for me because it means I'll get a lot of new artists most of whom I will probably like and good for you if you like close competition, because it means that things are likely going to be tight throughout the roulette.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2015, 06:06:01 AM »
That's what this is all about, getting to know new music.  I love finding bands I've never heard of or maybe I should have been open to a style of music.

Oh, And I'm not even sure if any of the teasers are mine. :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2015, 11:49:03 AM »
Oh, And I'm not even sure if any of the teasers are mine. :lol

Same here. I guess the second one could be mine, referencing the Easter Egg bit in the end of Illumination Theory, but I kind of doubt it.

Technically, I guess, but... It was basically...

Don't worry man, just kidding. The pace is alright.

Anyway, all songs I'm sending are 9-10 points for me, so I have nothing to regret. If I get lower score, it's just 425's tastes suck.