Author Topic: Rush - R40 Tour discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 41637 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Rush - R40 Tour discussion (SPOILERS)
« Reply #350 on: July 26, 2015, 11:39:25 PM »
I was just watching the "Oh Atlanta" bonus tracks from the S&A BluRay and it just occurred to me for the first time...

Have Geddy and Alex *EVER* made a perfect "spot on" transition into the "...and the meek shall inherit the earth" part of the 2112 Overture?

I mean, I understand that it's hard to know exactly when to come back in without either looking at each other or having some sort of "count off"...but I just think it's funny that after almost 40 years of playing it, I don't know that I've ever heard it be absolutely spot on.   You'd think that they would have nailed it once, even if it was by accident.   :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #351 on: July 28, 2015, 12:09:44 PM »
I honestly feel blessed I got to see them twice this tour, and the excellent combination of setlists.  The only songs I missed out on were The Camera Eye, and Between the Wheels.  I'm ok with both, since I've seen BTW at least twice already, and we got TCE on the Time Machine Tour (+ I saw DT cover it).  Getting Natural Science and Red Barchetta was a much better score.

I was at the Phx show last night.  Geddy's voice was amazing and Alex and Neil brought their A game as well.  What an awesome show.  Once again I was pleasantly reminded why they are my favorite band of all time.  We also got TCE and BTW and that was sweet, but you're right.  NS and RB would've been even better.  No matter.  Whatever set list you get, it'll be awesome anyway.

:hefdaddy

"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #352 on: July 29, 2015, 12:57:24 PM »
I wish I would have that about you in advance, would have loved to say hi before the show!

Performance wise I'd say Phoenix was the best of the tour for me (others were Philly, Newark, and Las Vegas). Most notable improvement now as compared to those first two shows mid-tour was Hemispheres, they finally tightened that up.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #353 on: July 31, 2015, 04:19:54 PM »
Each stretch of shows has been better than the previous stretch.  Took more than a few early gigs to shake the rust off.

Just one left now.

Going to be any interesting viewing for sure.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #354 on: July 31, 2015, 11:51:20 PM »
One more to go... :( :( :(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #355 on: August 02, 2015, 08:21:09 AM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #356 on: August 02, 2015, 08:26:14 AM »
Neil never does that.  *keep it together Joe*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #357 on: August 02, 2015, 12:25:31 PM »
Wow!

Get Joe a Kleenex. Or a bed sheet!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: August 02, 2015, 12:39:38 PM »
:tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: August 02, 2015, 12:44:29 PM »
awesome!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #360 on: August 02, 2015, 01:24:10 PM »
One huge party last night.

Watched the whole thing online.

The guys were having a great time and I'm so happy for them. They deserve it.

Kind of feel bad for Geddy though, but even he was squeezing the most out of it.

I always thought I'd be sad when this moment came around but I'm just very happy and proud.

Can't ask for anything more really; whatever happens next.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #361 on: August 02, 2015, 01:31:40 PM »
 :'(

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #362 on: August 02, 2015, 02:38:22 PM »
This is the happiest I've seen Neal after concerts LOL

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #363 on: August 02, 2015, 06:11:41 PM »
I tried like hell to stay up and watch all of it online last night, but being that it was in LA and two hours behind where I am, I was just too tired and couldn't stay awake.  Most accounts say that the band was great (although Geddy struggled at times vocally from what I saw) and the crowd had an energy that was unreal.  If it was their last show, it sounds like it was a damn great one. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #364 on: August 02, 2015, 09:12:18 PM »
Where the heck were you guys watching it from online, last night? I wouldn't mind it if I saw it online in real-time if I couldn't make it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #365 on: August 02, 2015, 09:21:32 PM »
Periscope!

Offline snowdog

« Reply #366 on: August 03, 2015, 10:50:50 AM »
The guys were having a great time and I'm so happy for them. They deserve it.

I always thought I'd be sad when this moment came around but I'm just very happy and proud.

Can't ask for anything more really; whatever happens next.
Well said.  It was so nice to see Neil show so much emotion.

As much as I'd love to see them again as I've said before I'd rather see them go out on the top of their game.  The first time I saw them was on the Presto tour and I thought then that I was catching them at the end of their career.  I got to see them 13 times on 9 tours and they played almost all of my favorite songs across that period.  Sure there are some songs I never got to see that I would have loved to, but with a catalog that vast I feel very fortunate for what I got to see.  And this last tour especially was probably my favorite (even better than 2nd row on the TFE tour).

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: August 07, 2015, 02:21:31 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rushs-alex-lifeson-whatever-this-tour-is-its-not-the-end-of-the-band/

Probably nothing new per se in that article, but Alex says that his arthritis don't hold him back when playing guitar - contrary to what people might think.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #368 on: August 07, 2015, 06:29:22 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rushs-alex-lifeson-whatever-this-tour-is-its-not-the-end-of-the-band/

Probably nothing new per se in that article, but Alex says that his arthritis don't hold him back when playing guitar - contrary to what people might think.
The podcast that article references was pretty good.  As usual, he comes off as a pretty likeable guy.  Good sense of humor.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #369 on: August 07, 2015, 10:55:37 AM »
By now it's pretty obvious that there'll be no Euro leg (or full-blown tours, for that matter), but I'd be ready to travel and see them in, say, NYC or Toronto if they decide to do residencies. I'm glad to hear the arthritis isn't bothering Alex as much as everyone thought!

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #370 on: August 07, 2015, 11:15:27 AM »
Caught up again with them in Vegas and rode it out til the end; just got back last night. Been a terrific summer having been on the road all of June too. I'm exhausted and I haven't played one note of anything.  :biggrin:  A bunch of us made the last sound check. There was about 30 or 40 people there. Usually off limits. It was very emotional for everyone, but more for the fact that it was the end of the tour. Feel me?

I can tell you that a) the band is not breaking up. b) this is not the end...technically speaking. They were talking about working on new material this fall or winter last Tuesday even. c) who is to say if they do some, they won't do a several show type thing in Europe or elsewhere sometime?

That's all I got. Or rather all I can give you'se.  :biggrin:

I'll see Ged again in October and will talk to him before that for sure. Doubt there is anything new then band related, but if there is, and I can... I'll let you know. Usually, I stay pretty silent about "stuff" and I will remain so relatively speaking. I won't betray my friends trust. But I do know this is a highly charged time for fans. Despite the fact that when they go out forever, it will be while on top of their game. And there ain't no spring chickens anywhere in sight. But this isn't goodbye for good.

:metal
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #371 on: August 07, 2015, 01:00:29 PM »
Thanks Temp! That is surely reassuring!

Can I ask you a question though? It seemed that it was Neil that they had to convince to do this tour. Do you think he was glad he went out, and do you feel it energized him at all for the future?

I thought he played as well as he ever has. The boots I have heard, he was absolutely ON!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #372 on: August 07, 2015, 07:48:57 PM »
I saw an interview with Alex Lifeson that was posted on FB by Progressive Music Planet.  This tour definitely isn't the end for Rush.  It's just the end of long tour runs.  I'm sure they will continue to record and probably do some short stints on the road.  Whatever they decide, more power to them!  It's been a privilege to be a Rush fan for 30 years.   :)
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #373 on: August 08, 2015, 12:49:20 AM »
Thanks Temp! That is surely reassuring!

Can I ask you a question though? It seemed that it was Neil that they had to convince to do this tour. Do you think he was glad he went out, and do you feel it energized him at all for the future?

I thought he played as well as he ever has. The boots I have heard, he was absolutely ON!

While he's always been very nice to me, and we talk about many things when I see him, Neil is a very private guy for the most part; so I can't tell you exactly what he's been thinking. Here is what I do know. He does love to play, but he hates the touring part. Drums are something that are a part of him. Being a drummer doesn't define him though. He can collect wine, read to his daughter, feed the birds, write, whatever with equal aplomb. That's not to say he doesn't love playing and making music. And, I've been around and part of athletic teams, been around many other musicians, and bands, and various artists, and I can tell you I've never seen a group of guys who work together who genuinely love and respect each other like these guys do. They love to be and play together. I can't say Neil or anyone was energized at the end. They were all relieved and exhausted maybe. And they'd had a great time playing with each other and the fans. But at the end, it was time to move on to down time now. I don't know, because it never came up, but I don't know anyone got a second wind. I think everyone knows the end is nearer than it has been, and things will now drastically change; but I do know for sure all three want to keep playing on some level.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #374 on: August 08, 2015, 09:07:29 PM »
Just got a text,  the fellas and the Diamondbacks gave Randy Johnson a drum kit to commemorate his jersey retirement tonight.   Game tonight was against my Reds too! Randy was with us all from Vegas on too. Very nice guy. Huge metalhead. Congrats R.J.!!

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #375 on: August 09, 2015, 05:47:01 PM »
working on new material this fall or winter

oh man
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #376 on: September 14, 2015, 07:18:46 PM »
You don't have to practice much for improv.

Just get into playing shape and let 'er fly...

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #377 on: September 19, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
Doesn't look like it's official, yet, but it seems like the DVD for R40 will be out in November 20th.  I shall buy it on 1st day of that date if it's indeed true.

Rush's R40 Live Album and Concert Film Coming November 20th. First Single Released Next Week

Ever since the end of the band's R40 tour in early August, fans have been anxious to learn more about the impending release of the live album and concert DVD. The band filmed and recorded both the June 17th and 19th shows at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto during the tour and while there hasn't been any official word from the band as yet, there is news that the R40 Live CD/DVD (as yet unnamed) will be released on November 20th of this year.

The news comes from an e-mail message that was sent out to various music industry professionals earlier today. Coming from Zoe/Rounder Records/Concord Music Group, the e-mail indicated that the live CD/DVD would be released on November 20th.

From the e-mail:

CD/DVD RELEASE DATE NOVEMBER 20, 2015

Unlike other concert DVD's where the looks is the same throughout, this show has an extremely extensive setup that changes multiple times throughout the show (as the set list moves back in time, the stage setup reflects the band's stage setup from that period in their career.)

* Amazing value with almost 3 hours of footage!
* Includes multiple songs that have either never been performed before or never been captured on video

Rumor has it that this was the band's last large-scale tour, making this an absolute necessity for a Rush fan to own...

In addition to the e-mail, Amazon.com has just listed the availability of the first single from the live CD. Roll The Bones - Live will be available for purchase as an MP3 download on September 25th.

We'll have more news on the impending release of the live CD/DVD as it becomes available.

https://news.cygnus-x1.net/2015/09/rushs-r40-live-album-and-concert-film.html

Offline jammindude

« Reply #378 on: September 19, 2015, 02:04:21 PM »
Absolutely a must buy.   

I finally just got the R40 BluRay box of all the previously released concert vids.   Still haven't watched the S&A show (which is the only one I didn't previously own on DVD), so I'm hoping to get to that today.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #379 on: September 20, 2015, 06:52:11 AM »
Giddy fucking up, and once again... happy birthday to me!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #380 on: September 20, 2015, 07:21:52 AM »

Now to find yourself in the crowd!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #381 on: September 20, 2015, 08:44:13 AM »

Now to find yourself in the crowd!

Not likely.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #382 on: September 27, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
Absolutely a must buy.   

I finally just got the R40 BluRay box of all the previously released concert vids.   Still haven't watched the S&A show (which is the only one I didn't previously own on DVD), so I'm hoping to get to that today.

Chicken!