Author Topic: Rush - R40 Tour discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 41735 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Rush - R40 Tour discussion (SPOILERS)
« Reply #175 on: May 14, 2015, 12:10:18 PM »
At the end of the Minnesota show, Geddy said something like: "We hope to see you all again very soon." I heard a few people talking about that walking out and they were all saying: Maybe this isn't the last time we'll see them.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: May 14, 2015, 01:51:38 PM »
Band is sounding awesome on all the clips Ive watched. 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #177 on: May 14, 2015, 03:27:06 PM »
At the end of the Minnesota show, Geddy said something like: "We hope to see you all again very soon." I heard a few people talking about that walking out and they were all saying: Maybe this isn't the last time we'll see them.

Or it's just that he knows that some people will probably travel to the next city and show to see them.  That's never surprising.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #178 on: May 14, 2015, 04:07:18 PM »
I keep my hopes up that They may do small, 10 city tour like The Who does but I'll look at it the same way you do.

Not sure they can do that, given the large production they always have.  It costs lots of money to put that on, especially having to pay all of their crew, and doing a small tour probably wouldn't be financially viable, and I can't see them scaling down to a smaller and more simple stage and lighting show. 

Plus, I am reading some reports that Alex looks like he is struggling a bit at times.  He has talked for a while about pain in his hands, and having to lug the big double neck again for 10+ minutes has to be a bitch (he mentioned years ago how difficult it was to play that on stage, and he is, what, 61 now?).  Factor in them having to talk Neil into doing this tour, and I think this really is it.  Even if they take a few years off, will they really want to tour again in their mid 60s?  I think Geddy would, but Neil?  No way.

Only a couple hours away... :metal

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #179 on: May 14, 2015, 04:52:25 PM »
I keep my hopes up that They may do small, 10 city tour like The Who does but I'll look at it the same way you do.

Not sure they can do that, given the large production they always have.  It costs lots of money to put that on, especially having to pay all of their crew, and doing a small tour probably wouldn't be financially viable, and I can't see them scaling down to a smaller and more simple stage and lighting show. 

Plus, I am reading some reports that Alex looks like he is struggling a bit at times.  He has talked for a while about pain in his hands, and having to lug the big double neck again for 10+ minutes has to be a bitch (he mentioned years ago how difficult it was to play that on stage, and he is, what, 61 now?).  Factor in them having to talk Neil into doing this tour, and I think this really is it.  Even if they take a few years off, will they really want to tour again in their mid 60s?  I think Geddy would, but Neil?  No way.

Only a couple hours away... :metal

Good points made all around. I think if fans treat this as a Final Tour of sorts, we'll all be less disappointed when they don't tour again. I wish I had the time and money to go see them for a 2nd time in my lifetime, on this tour, but I've set aside a lot of funds for other things lately, so I really can't afford to see them. The best I'll do is save up for the eventual super-ultra mega-deluxe extra-special edition R40 Live release that will come out next year (presumably, with 3CDs, 2DVDs, 1-2BRs, in a huge book-style package, etc. etc.).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #180 on: May 14, 2015, 05:09:30 PM »
Good points made all around. I think if fans treat this as a Final Tour of sorts, we'll all be less disappointed when they don't tour again. I wish I had the time and money to go see them for a 2nd time in my lifetime, on this tour, but I've set aside a lot of funds for other things lately, so I really can't afford to see them. The best I'll do is save up for the eventual super-ultra mega-deluxe extra-special edition R40 Live release that will come out next year (presumably, with 3CDs, 2DVDs, 1-2BRs, in a huge book-style package, etc. etc.).

-Marc.
I'm sorry to hear you are not going, knowing you're a big fan.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #181 on: May 14, 2015, 06:52:58 PM »

-Marc.
I'm sorry to hear you are not going, knowing you're a big fan.

Well, in the 13-or-so years I've been a Rush fan, I've only ever afforded one chance to see them, and that was on the Clockwork Angels tour a couple of years ago, as a birthday present from my dad and step-mom. It was an amazing show, and I'd love to see them again, but I've accepted the fact that they might not tour after this year, but if they do, you can bet I will save up for any amount of money for a near-by show (Baltimore/DC area).

I'll be content with the eventual live release because at least then, I'll likely get a great live experience in a well done package.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #182 on: May 14, 2015, 10:18:06 PM »

In St. Louis tonight, Geddy changed "hope" to "maybe."  Don't know if Neil had a discussion with him about that or not.

St. Louis appeared to have the best performance yet even though Alex was having some problems throughout the night.  I think I'm warming to the encore. Didn't sound as painful for me this time. 

Can't believe they are doing this approaching their mid-60's. I'm not a guitar geek by any means, but getting an eyeful of all the different guitar and basses is awesome. And watching them tear it up is even better.

I'm starting to think that the sets from this tour and the last one are the two best ever. Huge advantage of having nearly three hour sets.

What a way to go out. Alex wasn't kidding.  I hope they can keep this up until late June when I get my crack at them.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #183 on: May 14, 2015, 10:39:11 PM »
So instead of 6 sets, it's looking like we're getting 3 sets with Losing It on a few occasions.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #184 on: May 14, 2015, 10:41:55 PM »
 :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: May 15, 2015, 12:55:45 AM »
Rush rules, bottom line!!

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #186 on: May 15, 2015, 03:42:16 AM »
I thought they always said they'd only play Losing It if Ben Mink were available?

maybe per likely their last tour, that's not the case?

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #187 on: May 15, 2015, 04:24:22 AM »
Forget playing "Losing It" - you know what they should be playing? EUROPE!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline CharlesPL

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: May 15, 2015, 04:59:35 AM »
Yeah I'd love to hear them play The Final Countdown.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #190 on: May 15, 2015, 11:11:58 AM »
Forget playing "Losing It" - you know what they should be playing? EUROPE!
Now why on earth would you want them to play The Final Countdown or another Europe song?  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: May 15, 2015, 12:34:01 PM »
Rush would make any Europe song kick ass

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #192 on: May 15, 2015, 03:20:05 PM »
I wouldn't even know where to start to review last night's show, but it was pretty damn awesome.  It was a tad loud, which would be my only complaint, but the band was on fire, and Geddy's voice sounded better than it did on the last tour.  Jacob's Ladder and Xanadu were both just absurdly awesome. 

However, after last night, I am pretty convinced now that this is it.  It just had that feel to it, and the post-show video of them just had that "we are going out like this" vibe to it.  Several times Neil was just smiling back there, and while some would say, "Neil is having fun and will want to keep going," but I think it is the exact opposite; he knows this is it and is just enjoying this one last tour. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #193 on: May 15, 2015, 03:24:04 PM »
  Several times Neil was just smiling back there, and while some would say, "Neil is having fun and will want to keep going," but I think it is the exact opposite; he knows this is it and is just enjoying this one last tour.
Exactly. When has Neil ever had fun?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #194 on: May 15, 2015, 03:30:55 PM »
I think Neil has always said that he enjoys the creative process in the studio far more than performing live, which is probably unusual for a drummer to say, but Neil has always been not your average rock drummer (obviously).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2015, 08:46:36 PM »
And without giving away too much to those who are still going to see them this tour, the final video after the last song was very bittersweet. It was like a symbolic walking off into retirement. I had moments near the end of the show where I almost felt a bit sad, cause I knew my final time seeing them was coming to an end.  Call me a sentimental fool, but when it comes to the soundtrack of my life, Rush has a bigger piece of the pie than anyone else, and while I know it is time, it is still kind of a bummer, which sounds crazy when you consider how much they have given us following their 4-year hiatus from 1997-2001. 

:( :( :(

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: May 16, 2015, 06:09:07 AM »
If you had to take a guess, do you think there will be one last studio album. Or just the likely 40 anniversary dvd/blu-Ray/cd?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #197 on: May 16, 2015, 06:42:37 AM »
If you had to take a guess, do you think there will be one last studio album. Or just the likely 40 anniversary dvd/blu-Ray/cd?
My guess would be that I wouldn't be surprised at all if they keep producing the occasional album, or even occasionally play live.  To my understanding, the only problem that some of the members have (Neil) is the grind and time involved in a world tour.  None of them dislike creating music.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #198 on: May 16, 2015, 09:43:52 AM »
My guess would be that I wouldn't be surprised at all if they keep producing the occasional album, or even occasionally play live.  To my understanding, the only problem that some of the members have (Neil) is the grind and time involved in a world tour.  None of them dislike creating music.
But the biggest problem (to me at least) is that if they make more albums, people are gonna want to hear the songs live. If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #199 on: May 16, 2015, 10:06:41 AM »
It's not like we will force them to tour. :lol

They've earned the right to do what they want, how they want, whenever they want.  They owe us fans nothing.  That being said, if this is the last time live, I will cherish it forever.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #200 on: May 16, 2015, 10:11:46 AM »
Oh I know, they've given us too much! Just sayin, a new album and a new tour go hand-in-hand, and it'll be odd getting new albums without a tour. But whatever they choose to do, is fine by me. I will also cherish this last show to the max!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: May 16, 2015, 10:15:03 AM »
Me too!  I just hope like I said in an earlier post that they do like The Who, play a 10 city tour once in a while.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #202 on: May 16, 2015, 01:20:34 PM »
I actually think that Rush still has an album or two in them.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #203 on: May 16, 2015, 02:28:26 PM »
I still don't understand why people seem to think they've had their last chance to see Rush. They've kinda said that this will be the last tour of this scale, but no one has even said that in truly definitive terms. But assuming that is true, they've even said they will look at short tours, residencies, and other things, so it's not the end of the world yet.

And you know how I can guarantee this isn't the final tour they ever do? Because if it was, and they knew that, every single venue, promoter, and cash loving person everywhere would be screaming from the mountaintops and putting neon lights on billboards to make sure we knew this was our last chance, and would set prices accordingly. Don't get me wrong, tickets aren't cheap, but they'd be a lot worse if this was a farewell tour.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #204 on: May 16, 2015, 02:36:45 PM »
I disagree, because that premise assumes that Rush knows with 100% certainty that this is it, but I don't think that is the case.  I am guessing Neil is like 99%, while Geddy and Alex are not.  Plus, they are not the type to advertise a farewell tour; it's just not their style.

Lolzeez, I could see another album, but I could also see them doing a few songs here or a few songs there, and releasing them as individual songs rather than doing whole albums. 

Or I could see Geddy going for a 2nd studio album. He seems to be the most gung-ho on not stopping working, and I think it'd be neat to hear him take another crack at a solo album.  He could probably get an all-star lineup at this point to play on it.

Offline Cable

« Reply #205 on: May 16, 2015, 02:41:26 PM »
I have never seen Rush live. Not the biggest fan, but have a live DVD, and most of their prog era CDs. Not buying a ticket for the show in my area, I have to pay 120 or whatever on Stubhub. Should I go?
---

Offline jammindude

« Reply #206 on: May 16, 2015, 02:45:27 PM »
I have never seen Rush live. Not the biggest fan, but have a live DVD, and most of their prog era CDs. Not buying a ticket for the show in my area, I have to pay 120 or whatever on Stubhub. Should I go?

If you're not a fan, then I don't see why.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: May 16, 2015, 03:06:01 PM »

If you're not a fan, then I don't see why.

I would say the opposite.   Never close yourself of.  Go, it could change your perception or not.  Still soak in the experience.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #208 on: May 16, 2015, 05:05:01 PM »
I still don't understand why people seem to think they've had their last chance to see Rush. They've kinda said that this will be the last tour of this scale, but no one has even said that in truly definitive terms. But assuming that is true, they've even said they will look at short tours, residencies, and other things, so it's not the end of the world yet.

BUT...if the only other tours they do from here on out are 5-10 dates max then tickets will be pretty damn hard to come by and pricey as hell.  So it is the last chance for a lot of people to see them.  I also don't think Rush are that pretentious that they would even want to have a farewell tour unless they knew with absolute certainty that they were calling it quits.  They are one of the more forthcoming bands. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #209 on: May 16, 2015, 05:15:22 PM »

BUT...if the only other tours they do from here on out are 5-10 dates max then tickets will be pretty damn hard to come by and pricey as hell.  So it is the last chance for a lot of people to see them.  I also don't think Rush are that pretentious that they would even want to have a farewell tour unless they knew with absolute certainty that they were calling it quits.  They are one of the more forthcoming bands. 

The three of them might be, but they've shown no great effort to throw off the leash of management over the past decade. We've discussed it in the other thread before of how they've been quite liberal in getting money out of hardcore fans over the past many years. This tour is another very small example of that. They mentioned when they weren't doing anything last year that who cares, we can always celebrate our 41st anniversary! Yet you notice we aren't all going to the R41 tour.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1