Author Topic: Rush - R40 Tour discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 41737 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: Rush - R40 Tour discussion (SPOILERS)
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2015, 03:15:12 AM »
I've already become used to the Hemispheres Prelude in this new key so whatever
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2015, 03:17:16 AM »
I'd prefer to hear Chain Lightning...

+1. That's one of my favourite all time Rushtunes.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #142 on: May 12, 2015, 11:37:56 AM »
The other possibility is that they printed up the tourbook in advance of finalizing the set, and some of those songs might not actually be played.
According to some insider information from The Rush Forum, Natural Science and Big Money were cut from the set late in rehearsals, so I guess this means Jacob's Ladder is a staple for this tour. If the rumor about 6 setlists and 37 songs is true, then NS and TBM probably aren't among the songs being rotated after all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2015, 11:42:22 AM »
I would be okay with that.

Natural Science is a top 10 Rush song in my book, but I've seen it a few times in the last 20 years, and if it getting cut means Jacob's Ladder remains for every show, it's the right call.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2015, 02:05:22 PM »
I would be okay with that.

Natural Science is a top 10 Rush song in my book, but I've seen it a few times in the last 20 years, and if it getting cut means Jacob's Ladder remains for every show, it's the right call.

Agreed, and we've had both songs on live albums in the last few years.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2015, 06:56:39 PM »
They started :P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Online The Letter M

« Reply #147 on: May 12, 2015, 08:09:44 PM »
While it wasn't played tonight, multiple sources given to rushisaband.com have cited that they heard the band soundcheck "Losing It" earlier today, which means it MIGHT take the 1st set closing position held by "Subdivisions".

This would mean another song premier along with "How It Is", and it would be the last song from Signals to be played live (as the other 7 were all played on the initial Signals/New World Tour).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2015, 08:13:46 PM »
With all due respect, there is no chance that it replaces Subdivisions.  If it were to be played, it would in all likelihood take the P/G spot (2nd to last song in Set 1).  I hope it happens tomorrow night; I'd love to see it. :hat

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2015, 08:27:04 PM »
Watch it live:

https://www.periscope.tv/w/VzPV7TE4NTQ0MDJ8MTEwNjYxNjlDQ_PvsbPO7EgBVg2rrrg4CjhbThcQpgKI2Odop0mFOg==

Link is dead :(, im waiting for Losing It and Emotion Detector :pirate:

It is a pity that so few concerts they play in Europe.Fortunately, makes up DT.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2015, 08:32:44 PM »
YYZ makes its debut tonight.

I *really* hope that they go RB, TCE, YYZ, TCE rather than rotate the three songs every third show.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2015, 08:33:49 PM »
Natural Science now getting played, which means probably no Jacob's Ladder tonight. :facepalm:

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2015, 08:34:37 PM »
ACK

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #153 on: May 12, 2015, 08:36:18 PM »
As much as I love Natural Science, if they play that Thursday night instead of Jacob's Ladder, that will be like a kick to the gut.  :(

Online The Letter M

« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2015, 08:39:05 PM »
As I said before, the ONLY way replacing "Natural Science" for "Jacob's Ladder" being OK is that they play the ORIGINAL arrangement and not the one they've played since the 90's. They've played the original arrangement of "Animate", so it's possible...guess we'll wait and see/hear how they do it tonight.

-Marc.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2015, 08:49:10 PM »
Well, looks like "Natural Science" preceded "Jacob's Ladder", so tonight's show got (more than) HALF of Permanent Waves played to them tonight. I guess playing the shorter "YYZ" in place of the 6-minute "Red Barchetta" and 10(?)-minute "The Camera Eye" allowed them a little extra time.

What a lucky show tonight, getting TSOR, NS AND JL from PEW. I wonder if the rest of the set will remain the same...

EDIT - Well, looks like everything up to "Xanadu" has remained the same, meaning that tonight's show got HALF of Permanent Waves and HALF of A Farewell To Kings. Holy crap. If you had told me, any time in the past 10 years that Rush would play that much of those albums in ONE NIGHT, I'd kick you for making such a bold-faced like. I cannot believe they're pulling all these songs out for this tour, and anyone who is a fan of PEW and/or AFTK surely has had a great night tonight.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:23:11 PM by The Letter M »

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2015, 08:53:09 PM »
Wow they played JL also :D, damn Yankees :]

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2015, 09:18:56 PM »
So it looks like they've made a special effort to play Jacob's Ladder every night, regardless of setlist changes.  That's a load off my mind.  I love Natural Science and The Camera Eye, so either would be great, but obviously they shouldn't be playing either over JL.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2015, 10:07:11 PM »
It was an amazing show to witness. Probably my favorite one I have seen of theirs in recent years.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2015, 11:11:12 PM »
Nat Sci AND Ladder in one show?! :omg: Looks like Big Money isn't out of question after all...
While it wasn't played tonight, multiple sources given to rushisaband.com have cited that they heard the band soundcheck "Losing It" earlier today, which means it MIGHT take the 1st set closing position held by "Subdivisions".
I doubt it'll replace Subdivisions, but it'd be awesome if they did play it. I'm kind of surprised they're doing it now instead of the last tour when they had strings.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2015, 11:57:14 PM »
Nat Sci AND Ladder in one show?! :omg: Looks like Big Money isn't out of question after all...
I doubt it'll replace Subdivisions, but it'd be awesome if they did play it. I'm kind of surprised they're doing it now instead of the last tour when they had strings.

Seriously, a prime opportunity with those strings totally passed up. Well, if they're doing it, I hope it sounds awesome, and I'm sure the violin solo will be triggered by someone anyway. As for its placement in the set, well I guess I could see them subbing it into the DEW/BTW spot by taking out the GUP song and playing two SIG songs, but if they do that, where would "The Big Money" even fit in the set? It would be odd to see them swap FOUR songs in one slot (DEW/BTW/LI/TBM), but not implausible. With no Presto or HYF songs, they skip from RTB to GUP and I doubt they'll drop the "new" version of "Roll The Bones". I guess we'll find out, hopefully, by next week.

-Marc.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #161 on: May 13, 2015, 03:00:04 AM »
These setlists just get better and better. The only bad thing about this tour is that they still haven't announced European dates...

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #162 on: May 13, 2015, 04:50:28 AM »
after seeing it last night, I couldn't help but wonder why they never played Jacob's Ladder long before this tour.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #163 on: May 13, 2015, 09:41:47 AM »

Seriously, a prime opportunity with those strings totally passed up. Well, if they're doing it, I hope it sounds awesome, and I'm sure the violin solo will be triggered by someone anyway.

tbh you really need an electric violin to do an electric violin solo, you can't just use a normal violin as the sound is completely different. but yeah, I'm happy
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2015, 12:24:28 PM »
 :eek EUROPE ALREADY FUCK

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #165 on: May 13, 2015, 03:16:34 PM »
It was also weird to see Ray Danniels walking around the arena last night. It was before the first set started and I saw a guy walking out of the tunnel (I was sitting above) and I saw the hair and immediately thought to myself: Hey! That's Ray Danniels. That's the guy Sammy Hagar absolutely hates. Then he went into the FOH booth and that confirmed it.

:lol I don't know, I just thought it was weird that I picked him out of the crowd. I mean, he was wearing a suit and that hair was identifiable. But I don't know how many bands where I could pick out the band manager.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online The Letter M

« Reply #166 on: May 13, 2015, 05:22:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfFi60e_Fgw

The entire St. Paul show has been uploaded, about only an hour ago. After listening to the third section of "Natural Science", I can confirm that it's the arrangement they've played in the last 15 years and NOT the original arrangement (as I would've hoped...ah well).

-Marc.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #167 on: May 14, 2015, 01:51:37 AM »
:lol I don't know, I just thought it was weird that I picked him out of the crowd. I mean, he was wearing a suit and that hair was identifiable. But I don't know how many bands where I could pick out the band manager.

Hmmm. I could recognise Rod Smallwood at a Maiden gig, Frank Solomon at a DT gig and Lucy Jordache at a Marillion gig, and that's about it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #168 on: May 14, 2015, 02:33:12 AM »
I can't believe they're playing The Spirit of radio, Natural science and Jacob's ladder in a row, it's pretty much the best streak of songs ever played live in the history of rock concerts.  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #169 on: May 14, 2015, 11:13:10 AM »
Rush tonight, baby!! :metal :metal

Online The Letter M

« Reply #170 on: May 14, 2015, 11:31:13 AM »
Rush tonight, baby!! :metal :metal

Hope you get a good set list! I wonder if it will be a different set than the previous three? Either way, I'm sure you'll have a grand ole time! :tup

-Marc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #171 on: May 14, 2015, 11:32:27 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #172 on: May 14, 2015, 11:33:03 AM »
This will be my 12th time seeing them.  And I am going tonight with the strong assumption that this will be my final time seeing them, so I am gonna enjoy it to the fullest.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #173 on: May 14, 2015, 11:59:33 AM »
I keep my hopes up that They may do small, 10 city tour like The Who does but I'll look at it the same way you do.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #174 on: May 14, 2015, 12:06:03 PM »
I hope you have fun tonight, Kev.

Hell, I may try to see them this tour as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.