Author Topic: Rush - R40 Tour discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 41726 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Rush - R40 Tour discussion (SPOILERS)
« on: May 06, 2015, 04:56:35 PM »
With the set list leaking early, and the tour starting this week, I think it makes more sense to have a thread dedicated to the tour, that way fans who don't want spoilers before their show can still read the regular Rush thread without having to avert their eyes or without those who want to discuss it having to put everything in spoiler tags, thereby making the discussion look silly. So, here we go.

I was gonna be one of those "I don't want to see the set list before my show" people, especially with my show next Thursday, but I simply have no will power when it comes to Rush and this. :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Rush - R40 Tour discussion (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 05:06:08 PM »
Same, I can't help myself.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 05:07:41 PM »
Now, regarding the stuff that has been leaked, while the thought of them dragging One Little Victory out again is nauseating, if they play Jacob's Ladder, I won't care what else they play.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 05:40:19 PM »
I know. Of all the songs to play again....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 06:08:17 PM »
I'm underwhelmed by what I've seen, but will hold off on being too critical until I see what the remaining songs are that are not listed in the credits. But there definitely is a few that are listed that I could certainly do without, such as Roll the Bones, One Little Victory and the usual bunch of perennial favorites that always end up in the setlist. I'm still holding out hope for Cut to the Chase, but am losing hope that Vapor Trail, Available Light and/or Open Secrets may make the cut. And of course, no Fear trilogy.   :-[

At least they're touring one more time, but it's hard not to be disappointed judging by what we know now.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 06:29:48 PM »
Well, assuming what we've seen of the set list is true, you can't expect them to not play Tom Sawyer, 2112, The Spirit of Radio, etc. on what is not only their 40th anniversary tour, but likely their last tour ever. 

I would love to see those songs you mentioned, especially Open Secrets and the Fear tunes.  I love Available Light, too, but I'd rather not hear Geddy strain to hit that main line, and you know it would be bad. :lol  Plus, I think it is such a deep cut, off of one of their least popular albums, that I think most fans wouldn't care about it.

I just hope they rock Animate out this time, instead of the slowed-down version they have done live.  Play the damn song at normal temp and stop chopping the choruses in half. The song is perfect as is on the CD; play it just like that! :metal

And it is too much to ask for them to play Xanadu from start to finish just once more?  They haven't done that since the freaking 80s.  Enough of those abridged versions of Xanadu and By-Tor; play them in full!!!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 07:31:51 PM »
Where can the setlist be found?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 09:50:16 PM »
Some usual suspects, but nice setlist overall

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 09:57:08 PM »
It's pretty safe, but Jacob's Ladder being in there is very cool.  One Little Victory should not be there.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 10:21:32 PM »
I just hope they rock Animate out this time, instead of the slowed-down version they have done live.  Play the damn song at normal temp and stop chopping the choruses in half. The song is perfect as is on the CD; play it just like that!

I'm laughing as I imagine when they get to that spot in the setlist and they all put down their instruments while Alex runs over to an ipod/CD player/whatever and just hits the "play" button.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 10:24:47 PM »
I posted this in the other thread, but since we've got an obviously marked SPOILER warning here, I can share my thoughts on the KNOWN set list as it stands.

Obviously, the songs listed in the tourbook are definites for the tour, but just because they have video/lighting arrangements tied to them doesn't necessarily mean they'll play each of them on each night. IIRC, some of the songs they alternate might have some video, right? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, and I could be, but just because a song is listed as having video doesn't mean they'll do it each night....or does it? I'm not sure...  :facepalm:

Anyways, onto the known set list itself:

Looks like the show opens with a video titled "The World Is... The World Is...", an obvious reference to the lyrics of "Tom Sawyer", then going into something called "R40 Screen Animation", which I can assume is something similar to the R30 video, which features nods to all of the band's album covers, and since then, we've had two new studio albums, a couple compilations and a few live albums to include!

The first set includes the following songs -

Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
Big Money
Far Cry

I see "Far Cry" is closing a set again, which is fine. Being an album opener, it's destined to be a set opener or closer, but there's only 6 songs shown here, so I'm willing to bet there are at least 3-4 more songs not listed here without video, and maybe one or two of those will be A/B swapped on alternate nights. Four songs from CA, which is nice to start the show with, as it gets the recent material "out of the way", and those who show up to the show late and saw them last tour won't be missing much. The band gets the joy of pimping out "new" material while fans can hear it and get it done, then move on to the "good stuff" later on.

At intermission, there's a video titled "Fan Film & Montage", which I can assume is a mini-documentary of fans throughout the years and tours, leading into the second set, which opens with...

One Little Victory
Animate
Roll the Bones
Distant Early Warning
Subdivisions

Here we have a SLEW of album openers and "Roll The Bones". These are ALL typical "singles" choices, with 90's and 80's stuff as well. I can bet we'll see one or two more songs from the 80's and 90's thrown in here as well, and hopefully one 90's/00's rarity! After these songs, we see something called "No Country For Old Hens", which could be a drum solo! It's an odd placement, but given the history of setlists, the middle of the 2nd set is where Neil used to put his solos, so I assume this to be it. Then we move onto...

Tom Sawyer - WAIT... in the MIDDLE of a set?! WHAT! It typically starts or ends a set, or is in the encore, but I don't ever recall seeing it in the middle of a set since the 80's, with the exception of the Counterparts Tour, where it was in a chunk of songs with the Hemispheres Prelude and Force Ten. Then again, we see it here paired with 3 other Moving Pictures songs, so it might be an album mini-medley, seeing as how "Red Barchetta and YYZ have been mashed together.

Red Barchetta/YYZ - This will be...interesting.
The Camera Eye - The whole thing....again?!? WOW! They must have really enjoyed playing it a few years ago to want to bring it back!

Now we see 6 songs from the late 70's period, from AFTK, HEMI and PEW, beginning with an unusual mash-up of PEW's opener and closer, ending with "Closer To The Heart". I cannot WAIT to hear how this one comes out! It's been a LONG time since they've done any 3-song medleys like this, so it'll be interesting to see how they change up the arrangements to make these work.

The Spirit of Radio/Natural Science/Closer to the Heart

Jacob's Ladder - HNNNNNGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH....that is all.

Prelude to Hemispheres/Cygnus X-1 - SURPRISE!!! The real question is, will "Cygnus X-1" just be the prologue (which they used as part of the encore on the Vapor Trails tour), or will it be the 2nd half of the song (which has some CRAZY high vocals, so I doubt it...)??? This will be an intense way to end the main 2nd set!!!

"Ask Al" seems to be the pre-encore video, which sounds like it'll feature Lifeson doing some whacky antics once more.

2112 - Typical encore choice, although considering last tour's encore featured this AND "Tom Sawyer", I wonder if it'll be a longer version of the song (with "Discovery" and/or "Soliloquy" thrown in)?!? As it was, the last version of 2112 played clocked in at around 8.5-9 minutes, but their encores usually last anywhere between 14-20 minutes, so we'll have to wait and see...

Then the show closes with two videos titled "Mel's Rockpile" and "Exit... Stage Left".

Interesting to note that no songs prior to 2112 are featured (so far), and it seems like the whole setlist is in semi-reverse chronological order, starting with recent stuff (CA, S&A, and some 90's/80's), then moving into the early 80's/late 70's stuff near the end of the show, closing with some version of "2112". And as it stands, it seems like there's about 2 hours worth of songs listed here, so I expect at least 4-8 more songs thrown in, with a few in the first set and a couple in the 2nd set, and perhaps one in the encore.

I guess all our questions will be answered this weekend! Cannot wait to read the reviews and see the YouTube videos! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 01:39:39 AM »
Personally, I love OLV. Sure, the band have better tunes in their repotoire, but it is what it is, and I can't see why so many people are down on it.

Anyway, what I came in here to say - COME TO EUROPE, GUYS!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 04:53:13 AM by The Curious Orange »
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 05:47:04 AM »
I'd love to see both One little victory and Jacob's Ladder. Fingers crossed for a European tour and a relatively close location.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 06:04:08 AM »
Fingers crossed for a European tour and a relatively close location.
This.

Although the list in the tourbook isn't complete and the songs probably won't be played in that exact order, it looks very likely that they'll go for a (mostly) reversed chronological order. Alex said they're rehearsing 35 songs and will rotate them, so there's still room for some surprises (even if not all of the 35 get played during the tour).

I'm happy to see Animate is featured, but like Kev I hope they won't slow it down and cut the choruses in half a la R30. I also find it really cool that they're finally bringing back Jacob's Ladder! :tup

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 07:42:14 AM »
Alex said they're rehearsing 35 songs and will rotate them, so there's still room for some surprises (even if not all of the 35 get played during the tour).
Care to share the link of where he said they've rehearsed 35 songs? Seems like an awful lot in comparison to how many songs are featured in the show (including songs swapped out from night to night).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 08:07:44 AM »
Alex said they're rehearsing 35 songs and will rotate them, so there's still room for some surprises (even if not all of the 35 get played during the tour).
Care to share the link of where he said they've rehearsed 35 songs? Seems like an awful lot in comparison to how many songs are featured in the show (including songs swapped out from night to night).
https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2015/04/08/4303/Rush-R40-Live-2015-tour-rumor-updates-rehearsals-underway-in-Los-Angeles
According to one fan who was at Fretted Americana on Monday and chatted briefly with Alex, the band apparently has prepped about 35 songs for the tour, although they won't be playing them all each night. They'll instead be alternating out as many as 6 or 7 per night for a solid 3-hour set.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 09:49:46 AM »
So 35 total with 6-7 swapped out each night leaves 28 or so songs each night, maybe more. Counting the known setlist we get 22 songs, so there's at least 6 songs each night without video, which seems average. If 6 songs don't have video, then they're easily replaced with 6 more songs, which gives us a total of 34. Sounds about right to me.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 11:15:38 AM »
I know Geddy can't sing a lot of the really old stuff anymore, but I think it's high time they throw a bone to us all and do a medley, ala R30, of stuff from the 70s.  Hell, do a R40 instrumental medley of stuff from just Fly by Night and Caress of Steel, the two albums that are 40 years old this year.  That would be a true R40 Overture.  You can take stuff from Anthem, By-Tor, Fly by Night, In the End, Bastille Day, Lakeside Park and even one of the two longer tracks from CoS into a bad ass 10-minute medley.  Hell, they could play the chorus of Fly by Night instrumentally and you'd probably have most crowds loudly singing the chorus! :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 11:44:19 AM »
I can't wait to hear the medley with "I Think I'm Going Bald".

O.K. Maybe not. :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 12:00:03 PM »

That's my #2 CoS song.   Don't get the hate.   One of the greatest riffs of the first 4 albums.  I would LOVE to hear a nod to that song.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 12:06:03 PM »
Compared to other music in that era it's weak.  This coming from a Rush nut.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 12:56:24 PM »
I love CA, but having seen the CA tour i wish there was one or two less songs in the set off of that album, just because it would allow them more time to bring out deep cuts.  Jacob's Ladder is cool, but it doesn't matter to me if they do it or not, i wouldn't call it a favorite.  some of the middle era stuff i could do with out but will still enjoy, and with the state of Geddy's voice it makes sense they can't do as much of the older material, and the middle era stuff sounded great on the CA tour because he didn't stretch himself too much.  Honestly for me the best set they could do would be essentially the time machine setlist, but cut out the non-hit moving pictures songs for other hits or deep cuts.
super stoked for this tour no matter what they play tho  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 03:29:42 PM »

That's my #2 CoS song.   Don't get the hate.   One of the greatest riffs of the first 4 albums.  I would LOVE to hear a nod to that song.

Eh, it's basically a slight tweak of the In the Mood riff, and considering that used to be a live standard, and easy as hell to play and sing, that stands a much greater chance of being played.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 03:41:52 PM »

Eh, it's basically a slight tweak of the In the Mood riff, and considering that used to be a live standard, and easy as hell to play and sing, that stands a much greater chance of being played.

What's weird is that I have been listening to both of those albums since 1982 (actually bought them at the same time out of a bargin bin...listened to them constantly) and never even noticed that until it was pointed out to me only about a year ago.    :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 04:11:37 PM »
I'm happy with the set so far, but I'm in it for the comedy. I didn't think it will get better than the last go-round, but it looks like it could happen.

Looks like I need to plan for Philly and MSG too.

Gonna have a hard time topping Enchant from 12 feet away, but I remain confident.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 06:28:04 PM »
I am going to the Atlanta show the day after memorial day.  Must not look at the setlist!!!  It will be tough.

I have to endure a morning trip to Ikea with the wife before the show.  Everyone tells me the food is good and they have plenty of seats.

Enjoy the show everyone.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2015, 09:38:02 PM »

What's weird is that I have been listening to both of those albums since 1982 (actually bought them at the same time out of a bargin bin...listened to them constantly) and never even noticed that until it was pointed out to me only about a year ago.    :rollin
Really? I noticed that probably within the first year I had both albums (in the mid-80s). But I'm glad to see someone else post about it cuz it always bugged me but I never thought to post about it.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 12:05:41 AM »
I personally love basically all of this setlist

we'll just have to wait for friday night to see what we're really up against here
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2015, 12:16:30 AM »
The Camera Eye alone makes this setlist awesome - it's a Top 3 Rush song for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2015, 12:33:54 AM »
Meh, been there, done that. I'd gladly trade that in for 2 shorter songs that they haven't played as recently.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2015, 12:40:44 AM »
If Emotion Detector (the last Power Windows song they haven't played live) is played (it won't be) I will probably explode.

that song was my favorite song in the entire world for a while, those synths are just beautiful

But they don't like the song for some reason, it "didn't sit right" with them or something.

so meh whatever, it won't happen and it will be one of those songs like available light that never gets played
please rush I beg of you, try it out
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2015, 04:32:21 AM »
I love CA, but having seen the CA tour i wish there was one or two less songs in the set off of that album, just because it would allow them more time to bring out deep cuts.

You never know - The Anarchist and The Wreckers might be an either/or, rotated each night.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2015, 05:46:54 AM »

I got both albums last year and noticed the similarity pretty quickly. :D

I'm curious to see how Geddy will be able to pull off the vocals in Hemispheres Prelude (if they play the vocal portion), because in the clips I've heard and seen from the Counterparts tour his singing sounded pretty painful, and it's been over 20 years since then and his range hasn't gotten any higher.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2015, 07:32:03 PM »
They're going progressively backwards in time! I love it!