Author Topic: Foobar is the superior audio player.  (Read 41097 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Foobar is the superior audio player.
« Reply #315 on: June 24, 2011, 11:51:04 PM »
Foobar already rips losslessly, I want to burn losslessly. Does that program do that?

If you must convert to mp3, be sure that you convert it to no less than 320 kbps.

I prefer to use to VBR0 setting. It's much more efficient.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #316 on: June 25, 2011, 02:52:17 AM »
I use V2 because I cant hear the difference between it and V0, and I prefer to save space.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #317 on: June 25, 2011, 03:03:32 AM »
I used WMP till i got my ipod... then switched to iTunes...

a few months ago, tried winamp. didnt like it. Next time i feel adventurous, or when I get a desktop (i hate listening to music on my laptop... the speakers suck monkey nuts) I will try foobar
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #318 on: June 25, 2011, 08:21:10 AM »
I am on an audio engineering course at uni, and we did a load of blind tests and no one can tell the difference between an uncompressed wav and a 190kbps mp3.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #319 on: June 25, 2011, 08:35:45 AM »
I am on an audio engineering course at uni, and we did a load of blind tests and no one can tell the difference between an uncompressed wav and a 190kbps mp3.

I dunno, I can hear a bit of difference between 192 and 320. Do you think it's a mental thing?

Offline dongringo

« Reply #320 on: June 25, 2011, 11:43:08 AM »

What was your source?
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: June 25, 2011, 12:20:54 PM »

What was your source?

Yeah. It depends on what you played the music through. If it's a small mp3 player, it doesn't have the processor to make a difference anyway.

Calvin6s

« Reply #322 on: March 03, 2015, 05:26:47 PM »
Long time foobar user, so I'll post this in this thread.

I need to do some serious clean up on my song tags (mp3, FLAC, etc).  Foobar is easy to edit the tags, but if you see one song mislabeled, you have to highlight it, Alt+Enter, tab to the field, change it, click ok.  That's fine for minor tag clean up, but kind of tedious if you want to start customizing genres, etc.

I'm not really looking for auto tagging (although my foobar seems to have been messed up as it now finds no tags automatically).  Anybody know of a great song tagging program.  The ultimate to me is working in a spreadsheet type format.  Sort by row, copy one field (like Artist Name) and paste one time in many other fields (to standardize the artist name variations).  And most importantly, it actually saves it in the file so it will show up if you reinstall or just change audio players without having to start from scratch.

Also, including a 1 to 5 star rating in the tag for playlist generation would be nice.  Kind of like Windows Media Player.

I'll be looking on the web and trying programs myself, but any help for those that have already gone through this process would be much appreciated.  Especially when trying out things at random can sometimes cause more harm than good.

Thanks.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #323 on: March 03, 2015, 06:01:47 PM »
Mp3tag is a good tag editor.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Calvin6s

« Reply #324 on: March 03, 2015, 06:20:05 PM »
Mp3tag is a good tag editor.
Thanks for the recommendation.  I'll mess around with that first.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: March 03, 2015, 07:47:52 PM »
Oh god... this thread again.

:lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ishak540m

« Reply #326 on: March 03, 2015, 09:48:45 PM »
Breakaway is the best.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #327 on: March 03, 2015, 09:53:25 PM »
I edit my tags in Winamp :neverusethis:
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: March 03, 2015, 10:58:42 PM »
Breakaway is the best.

I love Kelly Clarkson!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #329 on: March 04, 2015, 05:00:56 AM »

The key part is "blind". 99% of people claiming they can distinguish the two know upfront which is which. When doing a blind test they usually fail like everybody else.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #330 on: March 04, 2015, 08:01:33 AM »
I edit my tags in Winamp :neverusethis:
I thought I was the only one
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #331 on: March 04, 2015, 01:45:39 PM »

The key part is "blind". 99% of people claiming they can distinguish the two know upfront which is which. When doing a blind test they usually fail like everybody else.
I think you can tell the difference if you're using high-end headphones and an audiophile player. But otherwise, it's almost impossible - the differences are too subtle.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #332 on: March 04, 2015, 01:52:55 PM »
As a Linux user,  I use Banshee.   It's just as good as Media Monkey, Music Bee, and Foobar.  I edit my tags in the program too because I'm OCD like that. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #333 on: March 04, 2015, 02:15:16 PM »
mp3tag works well so far.

The only problem I've encountered is getting used to hitting "save" after an edit.  But I don't think I'd change that feature because I have screwed up a whole album by editing the year and accidentally changing something else like track names and wishing I could just undo it.  So the save feature takes getting used to, but is worth being there.

How do you guys deal with separating studio "all" lists from live, demo, etc songs?  My favorite thing to do is just to have the entire library play on random.  I take to long trying to decide on what I want to listen to otherwise.  And it also reminds me of songs I haven't heard in forever when they just pop up.

But the massive DT bootlegs, demos and other less than quality sounding recordings coming up ruins the flow.  And there are more misc. songs than studio songs for DT, so odds of hearing a studio DT track drop.

I've been toying with the idea of taking the non-studio tracks out of my library folder so they aren't automatically added, but that also means I have to manually add them to listen to them when in the mood.  So putting them in a folder outside the Music folder and just making a manual playlist out of them that I have to remember to update since it won't be on auto update separately?  How do you guys handle that?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #334 on: March 04, 2015, 02:36:38 PM »

I've played both from a disc in my car, and I've noticed that at normal volume, I can't tell the difference.     But if I crank it...the weakness of the MP3 becomes quite noticable.    There is a definite distortion at higher volume with MP3 that isn't distinguishable on WAV.     To me, anyway.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: March 04, 2015, 05:12:59 PM »
The difference between say 190kbps and 1440kbps is obvious. But I'm not sure how successful I'd be in a blind test between 1440kbps and 2000kbps+.

Calvin6s

« Reply #336 on: March 04, 2015, 06:51:57 PM »
You hear the mp3 compression in the cymbals and harmonics.

Now if you were to play me two totally different songs one FLAC and one low rate mp3, you don't know if the compression happened with the mp3 or at during the recording process (see loudness war debates).  But if you took a master tape v. master tape compressed with mp3, you could most likely hear the difference, especially as you turn up the volume.

Calvin6s

« Reply #337 on: March 07, 2015, 03:57:58 PM »
So I've really been taking about 30 min a day and fixing all the tags (thanks for mp3tag - helps).

So I'm cleaning up the Genre tags because it is cool to be able to random play all your Electronic Music (Dubstep, Synth heavy, etc) when you are in the mood.

Trying to keep the Genres somewhat generic and under 30 so they don't lose meaning or have massive crossover.  Metal/Rock is the hardest.  I kind of think of it in waves such as:
Classic Rock (Zep, etc) > Glam Rock (80s) > Metal (Thrash) > Alt Rock (Seattle influence which is varied) > Nu Metal
on a separate branch
Prog Rock (Genesis) > Prog Metal (Dream Theater)

Nu Metal started around late 90s and covers a lot of ground.  After that, I'm having a hard time coming up with a generalized classification for metal from about 2005 to today that covers a lot of ground but at the same time doesn't fall into the other genres.  Anybody come up with a classification for that yet?  I'm thinking "Modern Metal" with the idea it will be changed when a more proper term is coined to envelope the current metal era.

Second, I asked early about what you guys have done so you don't hear crappy quality demos or live bootlegs mixed in with studio albums in the middle of random play.  I've been thinking about using Live and Demo in the genre field.  Of course I lose the difference between a live metal and live jazz album, but most of my live and demo stuff is for my all time favorite bands only.  Anybody doing this?  Any other downside I'm not considering?