Author Topic: Indiana Jones Series  (Read 2025 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Indiana Jones Series
« on: May 05, 2015, 01:37:04 PM »
Some fun movies that somehow don't have their own thread, apart from a 4 year old poll.

Just heard the news that they're working on another one. Not at all excited for that. Indiana Jones was a fine trilogy, I'd prefer them to leave it alone. Thoughts?

Oh, my rankings of course:
1 - Last Crusade
2 - Raiders of the Lost Ark
3 - Temple of Doom
4 - Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Indiana Jones Series
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 01:54:26 PM »
1 - Raiders
2 - Last Crusade

3 - Temple of Doom

4 - Crystal Skulls

And from what I read, "working on them" is a generous phrase.  Disney now owns Lucasfilm, and they intend to eventually produce new Indy content.  But there is currently no script, or firm ideas, from what I understand.

If new films are made (and I think it is only a matter of time), I hope they reboot the series.  I don't want to see 72-year old Harrison Ford galavanting around in his fedora again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 02:23:50 PM »
I would also prefer they leave Indiana alone. Though I did read about ideas on having it become something like a Bond series, ongoing, with different actors taking the reigns.

I have great memories of watching these movies growing up. I remember loving the dinner scene in ToD and it being the first thing my dad and I told my mom about when we got back. Then I remember going to see the Naked Gun and the crowd erupting at the trailer for TLC, and holy shit Sean Connery is in it too?! The movies now look dated, in a way, but are also as fresh and crisp as a cracker, and should be for the next 100 years.

I thought the first 2/3 of Crystal Skulls was highly entertaining. The dropoff on the last 1/3 was significant however.

Roger Ebert has a great write-up on Raiders, I highly recommend.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-1981

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 02:45:29 PM »
I should say that my preference, as well, would be no more films.  But IF they proceed, do so with another actor.

The idea of a Bond-like franchise is intriguing.  That would alleviate the need to do a full reboot every time the actor changes.

I watched all of these films in theaters.  I have a deep and abiding love for this character.  In fact, I currently have Raiders ranked as my favorite film of all time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 05:45:02 PM »
When I first heard about someone else playing Indiana, I mentally vomited. I thought ONLY Ford could play the man. Then I thought about the Bond films, of which I am a fan, and thought that Bond is certainly at least as iconic as Indiana as a film character, and multiple people have played him. And they don't have to do any of that rebooting crap. They can just make films with the character of Bond, set within the established framework of the Bond universe, and it works (to varying degrees). I still do not care for the idea, but I don't hate it any longer. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 06:22:59 PM »
Some fun movies that somehow don't have their own thread, apart from a 4 year old poll.

1 - Last Crusade
2 - Raiders of the Lost Ark
3 - Temple of Doom
4 - Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

There's not much between Raiders & Crusade but Temple of Doom is a pretty big drop off and I stopped watching Crystal Skull after the fridge nuking.

Nuking the fridge should be the new Jumping the shark.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 09:39:54 PM »
Nuking the fridge should be the new Jumping the shark.
It was, for a while.

I'd post my ranking, but Hef already has.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 09:03:42 AM »
I didn't hate Crystal Skull. It's not good, but I didn't hate it, besides some of those really stupid moments. There is some fun stuff in there.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 09:29:03 AM »
Apparently another is going to be made.  :\

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 10:01:22 AM »
I've never seen Crystal Skull.....guess I should at least watch it. I love the franchise though.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 01:05:51 AM »
1. Crusade
2. Raiders
3. Kingdom
4. Temple
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 06:55:04 AM »
1.  Last Crusade
2.  Raiders
3.  Crystal Skulls
4.  Temple of Doom

The hate for Crystal Skulls makes me sad.  There's always been a big supernatural element to Indiana Jones stories, and I have a much easier time accepting aliens than I do weirdo heart-pulling voodoo something-or-other cult things.  Temple of Doom was okay, but the somber village scenes were awkward, Willie was annoying as shit, and I felt like the dialogue is hands-down the worst of any Indy movie.  The only thing I remember disliking about Crystal Skulls was the nuking of the fridge thing, which if you ask me is only marginally more absurd than Indy, Willie, and Short Round surviving that plane crash by riding an inflatable raft.

My theory is that people built up their expectations for Crystal Skulls too much, and when it didn't turn out to be similar enough to their nostalgic favorites, they were disappointed.  I think it's a perfectly fine movie.  Not Indy's best, but still way better than the Temple of Doom.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 07:32:29 AM »
I think there's plenty to dislike about both films, but ultimately when I decide to rewatch them I find myself looking forward to watching Crystal Skull again less than I do at the idea of watching Temple of Doom. But for me neither is in the same league as Raiders and Crusade.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 08:20:22 AM »
1.  Last Crusade
2.  Raiders
3.  Crystal Skulls
4.  Temple of Doom

The hate for Crystal Skulls makes me sad.  There's always been a big supernatural element to Indiana Jones stories, and I have a much easier time accepting aliens than I do weirdo heart-pulling voodoo something-or-other cult things.  Temple of Doom was okay, but the somber village scenes were awkward, Willie was annoying as shit, and I felt like the dialogue is hands-down the worst of any Indy movie.  The only thing I remember disliking about Crystal Skulls was the nuking of the fridge thing, which if you ask me is only marginally more absurd than Indy, Willie, and Short Round surviving that plane crash by riding an inflatable raft.

My theory is that people built up their expectations for Crystal Skulls too much, and when it didn't turn out to be similar enough to their nostalgic favorites, they were disappointed.  I think it's a perfectly fine movie.  Not Indy's best, but still way better than the Temple of Doom.

I agree with that 100%
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 02:02:24 PM »
I go the blu-ray pack with all three movies and a drink coaster.

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 07:02:55 PM »
1.  Last Crusade
2.  Raiders
3.  Crystal Skulls
4.  Temple of Doom

I agree with that 100%

You mean there are more of us?!

I just remembered Shia LaBeouf swinging on the vines and catching up with the motorized vehicles.  That part was pretty dumb too.  Still...overall it's a fun movie.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 08:06:16 PM »
I'm ok with Crystal Skull, and I thought so many parts of ToD were way more hokey. My rankings would be similar, except with RotLA at the top.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 08:45:12 PM »
I think people forget how silly TOD can get because its sandwiched between two great movies and is part of the original trilogy while the new one had decades of hype to live up to.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 09:20:25 PM »
And the character of Short Round just needed to die. There. I said it.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 09:30:17 PM »
as far as i'm concerned, there are only three movies.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 09:41:17 PM »
And the character of Short Round just needed to die. There. I said it.

He was cool.  He had his moments.  Willie, however...ugh.  Just...ugh.  Death is not good enough for that character.  She should never have been born.