Author Topic: Cardiacs (Avant-Garde/Progressive Rock/Punk/Psychedelic Rock/Art Rock/Pop)  (Read 1901 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
I feel like they deserve a thread, and surely I'm not the only fan of them around here? :)

I only started listening to them less than a year ago, but they have already solidified themselves as one of my all time favorites, up there in my top5. Cardiacs is a really unique band that fuses many different genres into something very interesting, and they have influenced several artists we hold dear on this forum. Bands like Mr. Bungle and Dog Fashion Disco/Polkadot Cadaver definitely explores similar ideas from time to time. The mastermind behind Cardiacs is Tim Smith, one of the most brilliant musicians ever. Sort of the Steven Wilson of the late 80's/90's, his songwriting has given the band a really high quality threshold, and many amazing albums and songs.

Personally I started with Sing to God, their 1995 double album, and I would probably say that it's my favorite album of theirs. Such a wild ride, and the album explores the many sounds of Cardiacs. But it might not be the most accessible, and I think albums like On Land & in the Sea (sort of their 'hit' album) or A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window might be easier to get into. Like I said before, they blend genres in a really interesting way, and I think many prog fans would find them interesting. Many of their songs have really interesting time signatures and tempo switches, and they are just excellent musicians. Hopefully we can get some discussions going and spread the love for them. :)

Some songs for the the curious people:

Is This the Life? (Their biggest hit)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMcra8Rmv-Y

The Everso Closely Guarded Line (8 minute prog masterpiece)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls5T200OXn4

Stoneage Dinosaurs (ballad, covered by Steven Wilson a few years ago)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiB-rzkquDA

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
I guess we're the only two fans.

Everyone listen to this band.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
I guess we're the only two fans.

Everyone listen to this band.

We need to spread the love. :) I feel like they are the best band that nobody has heard (they do have a loyal set of fans, but you get what I mean). So if you haven't heard them, get on it asap!

• DTF.org Member
Yeah they're one of those bands that have a small base of fans, but the people who are fans generally love them a ton. I'm sure there are a few people here who would dig them a lot upon giving them a chance.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 03:27:46 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
LieLow, you sent me one of their songs in my roulette, right? Tarred and Feathered I think it was called. It was pretty bizarre, but I liked it well enough. I suppose I should check out the rest of their material.

• DTF.org Member
Yeah I know I've sent them out in roulettes before. :lol But yeah for sure, check out more of their stuff! That song is definitely on their more bizarre side.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
They're such a diverse band. I mean, you have plenty of bizarre and outright crazy songs with fast tempo changes and very avant-garde in nature, but you also have some slower songs that take their time. They're also the kind of band where you won't get everything on one listen, and you might need to give them a few spins. I have over 3000 played songs on lastfm in just a few months, and I still hear new things when I listen to their albums. It's quite awesome.  :heart :heart

Offline SoundscapeMN

they're a favorite of Mike Vennart's, some of the staff at PROG magazine, and a whole bunch of people on progressiveears.com

the 1 album i checked out was interesting, but at the same time, their attempts at humor almost reminded me of some of the Frank Zappa humor music that I just can't get fully into.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 09:25:29 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Bump because Knifeworld (sideproject) drops a new album fairly soon and released a first track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzXVxOT8an0

Also bump because Cardiacs is objectively the best band ever and deserves more hype!  :)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Bump! New Knifeworld album is out and is really good. :) Got my lucky hands on 1 of the 100 signed copies of the vinyl (CD included). Nice collector's item!

Offline LordCost

There are no Cardiacs news sorry, I only wanted to say I'm a new fan  :heart

I got curious a year ago about this band reading really positive opinions. I remember checking out the song A Little Man And A House. I liked it, it was catchy, but it was so different from what I listen to usually that I didn't listen other songs.

I decided two-three months ago to listen to the whole A Little Man And A House and I liked it a lot, then Sing To God and these last 3-4 days I'm continuously listening to On Land And In The Sea. I believed that I would not have liked On Land And In The Sea after the first two listens, it has been the most difficult to get into until now.

I remember that I was already tired at the second track Baby Heart Dirt, and at the second listen I laughed when I arrived to The Duck And Roger The Horse, but that song got me interested to try again. Only 3 days ago I thought that song was funny but unlistenable and now I follow it without much effort and it has sense. It's like rediscovering Mr. Bungle 10 years later!

Today I realized the magnificence of The Everso Closely Guarded Line, the Cardiacs song closest to prog, and I was trying to grasp Buds And Spawn but how many f***ing different sections does it have??

Favourite songs at the moment among these three albums:

The Breakfast Line (first really weird song of them I heard, and I still like it a lot)
The Whole World Window (the melody gives me a lot of melancholy that some days I decided to skip it but it's really beautiful)
The Duck And Roger The Horse
The Everso Closely Guarded Line
Eat It Up Worms Hero (first of a series of wonderful short tracks. I'm impressed by the fact that Cardiacs can make 1 minute and a half songs that doesn't feel incomplete. It's really the proof about their successful blend of punk and prog).

...and many many others, I could list almost 50% of the songs as favourites.

I think that Sing To God Part 1 is better and more organic than Part 2. I get that Dirty Boy could be someone favourite song but I don't like it that much and placing it as a opener is a really odd choice. You start the album and you are already exhausted with 8 minutes of grandiosity without any pause.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Cardiacs (Avant-Garde/Progressive Rock/Punk/Psychedelic Rock/Art Rock/Pop)
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 02:57:27 AM »
Bump.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/timsmith

Donated. Cardiacs is my favorite band and the idea of getting new music is exciting, but ultimately I just hope Tim gets better.

Offline LordCost

Re: Cardiacs (Avant-Garde/Progressive Rock/Punk/Psychedelic Rock/Art Rock/Pop)
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 11:03:19 AM »
I'm going to do it soon too. I bought some months ago Guns and On Land and In The Sea. Apart the fact that I love to have those albums in my collection, I was happy to give money to help Tim's health.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
RIP Tim. :(

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Oh no, really? :(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member

Yeah. Even though I never expected anything from him musically again, it's still very feelsbad and too soon. :(

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
He left an incredible legacy and I’m very glad to know their music.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
He left an incredible legacy and I’m very glad to know their music.

Not sure how familiar/deep you are into his music but if you haven't checked out his side projects I would HIGHLY recommend them! Sea Nymphs, Spratley's Japs, Tim Smith's Extra Special OceanLandWorld & Mr & Mrs Smith & Mr Drake are 4 projects I highly recommend! If you like the latter I would also recommend William Drake's solo albums (the last 3-4 of them are top notch!).

But yeah Cardiacs are pretty much tied with Oceansize for my favorite band and I think they always will be. Tim Smith is one of those musicians where I feel 'creative genius' applies. :)

Offline LordCost

Yeah. Even though I never expected anything from him musically again, it's still very feelsbad and too soon. :(

He still was able to put out On The Dry Land (The Sea Nymphs album) in 2016. People were all talking about the unfinished Cardiacs' LSD album these last years, but we were lucky enough to get one more album from him in his poor conditions.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
RIP.

I need to check it/them/him out. Ginger Wildheart often recommends.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline calamitycrush

RIP.  :(
Been a huge fan of Cardiacs for ages now, this really is terrible news. (Gloomy News, one could even say.)

Not sure how familiar/deep you are into his music but if you haven't checked out his side projects I would HIGHLY recommend them! Sea Nymphs, Spratley's Japs, Tim Smith's Extra Special OceanLandWorld & Mr & Mrs Smith & Mr Drake are 4 projects I highly recommend! If you like the latter I would also recommend William Drake's solo albums (the last 3-4 of them are top notch!).
Seconding this, especially the bolded bit. For whatever reason I took way too long to getting around to hearing OceanLandWorld but when I did I was glad of it. It easily stands up to the rest of the Cardiacs discography in terms of quality.

Offline ChuckSteak

Whaaaaat?  :'( :'( :'(