Author Topic: Rarest DT Items?  (Read 5830 times)

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
Rarest DT Items?
« on: April 30, 2015, 11:00:18 AM »
What are the rarest DT items? Either that you own, or that you know of? (no, I haven't returned from the dead)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Rarest DT Items?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 11:51:12 AM »
Pretty sure that this has been discussed before - did you do a search?

Anyhoo, I know that ZepDT has a bunch of rarities, as does Franz, so hopefully they'll see this thread. Amongst the rarest things that I own (altho do not have in my possession at the moment) are 3 bass drum heads from MP - one from the Train of Thought tour, one from the first leg of the 20th Anniversary tour and one from the LTE reunion shows. MP sent me the first two, and signed the 20th Anniversary one (including a message) to thank me for all my work for him and DT. Later he sent me the LTE bass drum head that was used for the LA and SF shows.

Funny thing about this particular one is that it is essentially homemade. I had created the artwork for the bass drum head and sent it to MP for it to be professionally printed. He had separate kits and drum heads for the east coast, Chicago and west coast shows. The day of the LA show, somehow the bass drum head didn't arrive in time for the show. MP contacted me that morning to see if there was anything I could do. Fortunately I was working that morning and my boss was cool enough to allow me to do a digital proof print on the high end proofer we had at work (I worked in the electronic pre-press dept of a printing company) to take with me to the venue that afternoon. When I got there, I gave it to Eric Disrude who was teching for MP and he cut it out and attached it to a generic bass drum head, which is what you see if you watch the LTE Live in LA DVD!

I'm sure that I've got a few other rare/unusual items in my collection, but those are the first ones that come to mind.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 12:44:55 PM »
That's very cool, and, yes, I did do a search. Couldn't find anything  ;)

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 02:01:58 PM »
This thread comes to mind.  Some really cool, rare stuff from Zep.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35080.0

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 06:36:34 PM »
That's very cool, and, yes, I did do a search. Couldn't find anything  ;)

I just asked this question not so long ago in the DT Collection thread.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=18072.msg1948795#msg1948795

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 08:25:31 PM »
I have an I&W longbox (extended art) sealed.....most likely my rarest DT item.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:32:27 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 02:37:53 PM »
Rarest?  Not sure. Majesty press kit?  Invitation to that Showcase gig ?  Don't know...

Offline billybobjoe1881

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 09:44:54 PM »
Wasn't there a guy here, that had Charlie Dominici's first contract with Dream Theater?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 08:40:03 AM »
Andy Ross has the band's first management contract from 1986 for sale.  As far as what you mentioned, maybe someone else knows more about it.

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 09:54:32 AM »

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 10:01:25 AM »
Woah
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 06:53:31 PM »
This might be of interest, as it's pretty rare ...

Having a bit of a clearout!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DREAM-THEATER-BOOK-LIFTING-SHADOWS-EXTREMELY-RARE-SIGNED-BAND-MEMBERS-EDITION-/231550985980?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35e983a6fc

That is beautiful.

Damn!  Can't swing that now. 

If there are 30 of these, where would the other 24 have gone?  Did Kevin Moore get one?

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 01:09:43 AM »
The band got a few copies each (I think 4). Of these 30 probably half were signed. One was a competition prize and others were sent by me to people who'd really helped me when writing the book. So no, KM didn't get one!!

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 02:07:30 AM »
Inb4 ZeppelinDT kills the thread (although he practically already did so since the link to his thread was posted).

My rarest item is probably the "Rough Demo 1987 (No Vocals)". Unfortunately, it's not an original, but I think only very few people have it even as a copy...
Other than that... Well, the ETR test pressings are quite rare, and I have three of them (I&W, Awake, and FII). Hoping to get SFAM one day to complete the set (it's limited to 5 copies though, so that will be very difficult to find).

@Rich: Fuck me. I want this badly, but I know that I can't afford it. :-(
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:38:02 AM by ProgressiveIce »

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 04:28:49 AM »
You never know Progressive Ice, the DT collectible market seems to have bombed over recent years, so there might not be as much interest in it as you think!

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 04:34:25 AM »
Yeah, I have added it to my watchlist the second I saw it on my RSS feeds, and I'll definitely keep an eye on it. But I doubt that it'll be sold at a price I can afford to spend right now...

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 05:02:09 AM »
The rarest thing I own is a test press of the Images and Words vinyl reissue from a few years ago. I believe only 13 were produced.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 05:03:28 AM »
I believe only 13 were produced.
24 of these exist.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 03:31:37 PM »
You never know Progressive Ice, the DT collectible market seems to have bombed over recent years, so there might not be as much interest in it as you think!

Has it?  I haven't really been watching it that closely lately. I kind of semi-gave up when the radio promos dried up in the states along with the watermarked advances.

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 10:06:06 AM »
Yeah I think so. If you look at the eBay sold prices for the last few months, there are very few items that are going for mega bucks. Even the fan club CD's are cheap now. I suspect that this is across all bands but I have noticed a difference. Meanwhile the book still looks cheap and there's less than a day to go!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DREAM-THEATER-BOOK-LIFTING-SHADOWS-EXTREMELY-RARE-SIGNED-BAND-MEMBERS-EDITION-/231550985980?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35e983a6fc

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2015, 09:19:31 AM »
So it went for £161,69.
Who of you is the bastard who outbid me? ;-)

Just kidding, too expensive for me at the moment unfortunately.

If anyone wants to have a look at this item in future, I added it to the Internet Archive WayBack Machine (since it will disappear from eBay soon): https://web.archive.org/web/20150713095317/https://www.ebay.com/itm/231550985980
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:56:48 AM by ProgressiveIce »

Offline brucknerdoc

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2015, 07:03:09 AM »
So it went for £161,69.
Who of you is the bastard who outbid me? ;-)

Just kidding, too expensive for me at the moment unfortunately.

That would be me :omg:

At least it's a fellow fan!

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2015, 08:28:46 AM »
Other than a signed drum head by MP and guitar by JP, I don't even really own any DT collectibles. And I'm certain those two items aren't rare in the least. Oh! I do have a framed Live Scenes from NY promo poster. Complete with the burning apple (WTC and Statue of Liberty in flames), and the header, "In Stores September 11". This was of course yanked immediately that day. You know, I've had so many people comment or ask me if that was an album they did in homage to 9/11. Talk about crazy coincidence. My poster was never in circulation, meaning it hadn't been displayed in the store.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 03:25:19 PM »
Other than a signed drum head by MP and guitar by JP, I don't even really own any DT collectibles. And I'm certain those two items aren't rare in the least. Oh! I do have a framed Live Scenes from NY promo poster. Complete with the burning apple (WTC and Statue of Liberty in flames), and the header, "In Stores September 11". This was of course yanked immediately that day. You know, I've had so many people comment or ask me if that was an album they did in homage to 9/11. Talk about crazy coincidence. My poster was never in circulation, meaning it hadn't been displayed in the store.

That's a favorite poster of mine. It's unframed in the basement. I like the one that came out for Six Degrees too which has the "modified" version of the Live Scenes poster on the other side.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 06:19:23 AM »
I believe someone on this forum had an original Majesty demo tape,

It may have been ZeppelinDT, Very Rare. In fact I believe he had a lot of rare collectables

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 12:02:14 PM »
It was, indeed, Zep.

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 02:41:49 PM »
You're talking about the test pressing of the demo. The demo itself is not that rare; sure, it's not exactly easy to find, but there's at least far more than just one copy on Earth...
Here's the relevant thread: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35080.0

And yeah, Zep has an incredible collection.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2015, 06:37:05 PM »
You're talking about the test pressing of the demo. The demo itself is not that rare; sure, it's not exactly easy to find, but there's at least far more than just one copy on Earth...
Here's the relevant thread: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35080.0

And yeah, Zep has an incredible collection.

I have one of the demos, but not the test pressing.

Offline RECREARE

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2022, 02:49:38 PM »

Hi guys! How much did this version of the book cost? Thanks!! - I find $250
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 07:01:37 PM by RECREARE »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2022, 03:01:38 PM »
I have an hourglass as promo item from the FII era.

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2022, 03:15:27 PM »

Hi guys! How much did this version of the book cost? Thanks!!

It was never for sale. It was specific to memebers of the band, crew, and close friends.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.