Author Topic: The TAC Roulette- Final Results!!!  (Read 101845 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: The TAC Roulette- Round 7 is A-L-I-V-E!
« Reply #1120 on: August 28, 2015, 09:32:22 AM »
WHERE ARE RESUTLS RAAAGGH

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1121 on: August 28, 2015, 09:52:16 AM »
At least some of you are being kind, taking into account that my Roulette is just around the corner, and.....

Oh, well I am absolutely fucked then aren't I.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1122 on: August 28, 2015, 10:07:59 AM »

By the way, I caved and sent.  With great power comes great responsibility.  I did what needed to be done.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1123 on: August 28, 2015, 10:12:34 AM »
The only thing that's going to cave is your score! :lol

Sorry couldn't resist.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1124 on: August 28, 2015, 12:58:19 PM »
Don't pressure me... I'm a delicate flower!!!!

At least some of you are being kind, taking into account that my Roulette is just around the corner, and.....

Oh for fucks sake man, just put down your fucking hockey stick or whatever it is you lug around and send a song.

Oh just fucking great.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1125 on: August 28, 2015, 01:18:05 PM »
Lot's of fucks being thrown just like on the ice.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1126 on: August 28, 2015, 01:31:24 PM »

Oh for fucks sake man, just put down your fucking hockey stick or whatever it is you lug around and send a song.

Well, I was gonna lug around some banana bread next week, but maybe I'll bring my hockey stick instead.   :P
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1127 on: August 28, 2015, 02:03:04 PM »
I love banana bread, especially with dark chocolate chips!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1128 on: August 28, 2015, 02:05:15 PM »
Less talkie; more typing.  When are those results coming?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1129 on: August 28, 2015, 02:08:40 PM »
Right fucking NOW asshole!  ;D

Round 7

Lonestar – Anathema – Untouchable Parts 1-2

WOW! That’s all I have to say. I’ve seem Anethema mentioned a lot around here, but have never checked them out. This is out of my comfort zone, but it’s an incredible song. Starts out nice, and then at about 4 minutes in the “I’d never betray our trust” parts starts and it’s a 4 minute eargasm that follows. Amazing. Might be my favorite 4 minutes of the whole roulette. The second more slower parts is a little draggy. I feel the parts should be switched. Not sure a studio version would be so magical. This is why I do Live!

Kingshmegland – Enchant – Under Fire

So apparently Rush and Kansas had a baby! I’ve honestly never heard an Enchant tune before. I was really looking forward to it. Major Rush influence but there’s not much other than that that really stood out for me. Nothing I didn’t like about it though.

b5150 – Eden’s Curse – Black Widow

Oh Brent, I am sorry, but this was probably my least favorite song of the round. You do know I’m not a Deris fan right? And I’m still shocked that you had so much trouble finding a track in this round.  I have heard some Eden’s Curse before, and it’s OK, but I was hoping a live version of one of their songs would really change my mind on them. Unfortunately it didn’t.

Jingle.boy – Nightwish – Planet Hell

Chad used a Wild Card in this round and gave me a Tarja and a Floor song. I went with Planet Hell as I liked the song a bit better. Love how the male vocals play off the female. I’m not big on female vocals in a rock band. At all.  So while I wouldn’t buy a Nightwish studio album, I could see myself investing in a live album by them. 

Evermind – Evergrey – Mark Of The Triangle

Similar to Nightwish, Evergrey is a band that I have sampled a couple of times over the years. I’ve frankly never been that impressed. That’s why I cringed when Ruslan submitted them. But the energy of this live track was infectious. Loved how the crowd was mixed and it gave this a ton of energy. The song had some highs and lows and both were supported greatly by the audience. I surprisingly really enjoyed this.   Again, I could see me buying this live album and being happy.

jjrock88 – Circle II Circle – Epiphany

A little Savatage encore here! I’m not sure if this is from an actual release or just a youtube vid with decent sound, but either way, I loved this track. It really has a mini epic feel. Love how the electric piano weaves in and out. I am going to follow up with CIIC.  I could close my eyes and picture myself at a club listening to this. That is how I love to experience music. Great tune!

Senecadawg2 – Anathema – One Last Goodbye

The second Anathema track submitted this round. I think it’s from the same live album. This isn’t as bombastic as Untouchable was, but this was an incredible experience. And again, I’m not sure the studio version would have the same effect. It would come off as moody to me. But this live version is so genuine, I got goosebumps. Especially when the crowd stated singing. Tingles!! I expect to buy this live album and be happy not buying another Anathema album. Thought this was fantastic.

Big Hath – Harem Scarem – No Justice

Hath, I hate to do this to you, but I can’t believe this was the best live track at your disposal. You have such a wide range of tastes so you picking such a mediocre band like Harem Scarem to submit is surprising. I will say that No Justice was decent live, but I’m pretty sure I would not give the studio version any love.  Honestly what I was hoping I’d get from you is a clean live vocal from Devin Townsend. I’m pretty sure the vocals can’t suck on all of his songs.

Wolfking – Kamelot – Karma

Kamelot is a band that I have sampled many times, but something has been missing for me. I can’t put my finger on it. But this was a cool song, and in many ways offered a bit more than the Eden’s Curse. Loved the lyrics and the vocals. In fact, Roy’s “babbling madman” style in the middle reminded me a bit of Suicidal Tendencies. While it doesn’t make me want to run out and buy a Kamalot album, it does make me want to buy THIS live album.

Standings

Wolfking-52.5
Lonestar-52.0
Senecadawg2-51.5
Kingshmegland-51.5
b5150-51.0
Jingle.boy-50.5
jjrock88-50.5
Evermind - 50
Big Hath-49.5

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The TAC Roulette- LIVE Results are up!!
« Reply #1130 on: August 28, 2015, 02:19:27 PM »
Dude....  Half point out....  :omg:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1131 on: August 28, 2015, 02:24:14 PM »
Looks like Kade is going to make this interesting.   :D

Quite I diverse set of submissions (despite the double up on Anathema).  I'm surprised (pleasantly) you went with Planet Hell.

And I'm surprised that HS and Kamelot just don't click for you.  I knew HS was a bad call based on a comment long ago, but Kamelot??  Dem's tastes for ya.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1132 on: August 28, 2015, 02:45:30 PM »
Good work- lonestar- on the Anathema! Between Untouchable and One Last Goodbye, we done well  :tup :tup

Now, I'm excited to see my 10 point epic edge out the competition and win the roulette  ;)
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1133 on: August 28, 2015, 02:48:10 PM »
And I'm surprised that HS and Kamelot just don't click for you.  I knew HS was a bad call based on a comment long ago, but Kamelot??  Dem's tastes for ya.

Well this is what is great about doing a roulette. It forces you to analyze a song, which is a lot different that punching up youtube and listening for a few minutes.
I followed along as someone did a Kamelot Top 50 a couple of years ago. I sampled a few tracks along the way and nothing jumped out at me. Yes by all accounts, I should be a Kamelot fan. I can say that I am not big on symphonic elements in my metal.

But I liked this song and would definitely consider buying a live album by them.

I'm surprised (pleasantly) you went with Planet Hell.

That was the song that made the best first impression. I listened to each two or three times.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1134 on: August 28, 2015, 02:51:46 PM »
I can’t believe this was the best live track at your disposal. You have such a wide range of tastes so you picking such a mediocre band like Harem Scarem to submit is surprising. I will say that No Justice was decent live, but I’m pretty sure I would not give the studio version any love.  Honestly what I was hoping I’d get from you is a clean live vocal from Devin Townsend. I’m pretty sure the vocals can’t suck on all of his songs.

like I said, not much to choose from on the live front.  My other alternatives were Tower of Power (R&B/funk) or Eric Johnson from the G3 album.  I assumed TOP would have been so far outside your wheelhouse it wouldn't even make sense.  Of course, I would have thought the same thing about Anathema, so when I saw you post in their thread, I almost fainted.

I didn't even know Devy had a live album.  :lol
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1135 on: August 28, 2015, 02:54:02 PM »
Well I think Chad knows what never album I got this summer and the song I sent for the long round.  To the last round.  CHEERS!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1136 on: August 28, 2015, 02:54:27 PM »
I didn't even know Devy had a live album.  :lol

He may not. I'd be surprised that he didn't. I have just seen so many different albums you list in the listening thread and it's quite impressive. There has to be a decent live recording by someone. TOP would have been fine. I tried on HS. I really tried!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1137 on: August 28, 2015, 02:58:19 PM »
I tried on HS. I really tried!

Don't worry Big Hath... I got your back.

such a mediocre band like Harem Scarem

You're finishing last in my roulette for this statement alone.  Just sayin...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1138 on: August 28, 2015, 03:04:39 PM »
I'm pleasantly surprised you enjoyed that Evergrey track, Tim. I thought it would be out of your comfort zone, but I'm glad to see this isn't the case. Yeah, this album has a great mix between band and audience, and I think you won't regret buying it. I thought the live round would be difficult, but then I remember I own this album.

And wow, those Anathema scores. I don't have any live albums from them, but I'm definitely looking forward to see them in October now.

I'm gonna be out on weekend, got this festival to attend, great lineup with Helloween and Primal Fear and Amorphis too. Does anyone here listen to Dark Tranquility? What kind of band is it? Right now I'm tempted to skip them and get something to eat in the meantime, but maybe you guys will be able to change my mind about it.

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1139 on: August 28, 2015, 03:08:22 PM »
those are very good anathema songs indeed, Untouchable 1 is way better than 2 IMO but both are good

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1140 on: August 28, 2015, 03:12:19 PM »
those are very good anathema songs indeed, Untouchable 1 is way better than 2 IMO but both are good

Hey, when I saw your reply in this thread I expected you to say Dark Tranquility is great, which would mean I'm definitely going to skip their set. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1141 on: August 28, 2015, 03:26:31 PM »
i have absolutely no clue who Dark Tranquility is

edit: they're apparently a pretty old melodic death metal band

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1142 on: August 28, 2015, 03:29:31 PM »
I think Dark Tranquility would be fine with better vocals. Would definitely be worth seeing live! That is what this last round has been all about.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1143 on: August 28, 2015, 03:31:28 PM »
i find it funny that you go "oh man sorry for the low score" and you give 8's

if i preceded my writeups with something like that you'd probably expect a 4 or worse  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1144 on: August 28, 2015, 03:32:55 PM »
Well, they've got growls, so I'm kind of wary about it. I'm only interested in Amorphis because I got into them due to DTF. I still can't stand half of their songs.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1145 on: August 28, 2015, 03:41:35 PM »
i find it funny that you go "oh man sorry for the low score" and you give 8's

if i preceded my writeups with something like that you'd probably expect a 4 or worse  :lol

:lol

TAC's such a nice guy! I firmly believe that if you gave him a shit-sandwich for lunch he'd smile at you and nod.

"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1146 on: August 28, 2015, 03:47:58 PM »
This is why I'm not a fan (when I run a roulette) of a 1-10 (or whatever) rating scale.  It's hard to maintain consistency across rounds.  For instance, are the 7s and 7.5s in previous rounds worse than the 8s and 8.5s in other rounds?  Or was a 7.5 back then equivalent to a 9 now?  Just my opinion on the matter.

And yeah, Tim is a nice guy and doesn't want to hurt my delicate feelings, so I like him that way.

I also like it when people are brutally honest.  I remember getting 3s and 4s (out of 10) because the organizer really didn't like the tunes.  I appreciate that kind of honesty too.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1147 on: August 28, 2015, 03:50:12 PM »
Dark Tranquility are melodic death metal, pretty cool, but don't think they would be up your alley Evermind.  The last album as pretty good and melodic though.

Interesting round, I've never heard Anathema, so I should proably check them out.  Half a point hey?  All comes down to the epic, which I sent two rounds ago.

Tim, what would have my wild card scored?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1148 on: August 28, 2015, 03:54:16 PM »

Tim, what would have my wild card scored?

Well, I picked the one I liked the most. Honestly, it would've likely scored the same.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1149 on: August 28, 2015, 03:56:18 PM »
Cool as.  Figured Pagan's Mind wouldn't have scored much less than the Kamelot.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1150 on: August 28, 2015, 04:00:27 PM »
Just had a listen to Untouchable by Anathema and I must be missing something, bored the crap out of me to be honest.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1151 on: August 28, 2015, 04:07:21 PM »
I think a studio version would, but I react a lot differently to live music, and it allows me to open doors.
They remind me a lot of Fields Of The Nephilim.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1152 on: August 28, 2015, 04:16:46 PM »
Just had a listen to Untouchable by Anathema and I must be missing something, bored the crap out of me to be honest.

Tastes!  How do they work?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1153 on: August 28, 2015, 04:17:41 PM »

Tastes!  How do they work?

Should work like mine, but looks like it doesn't work that way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1154 on: August 28, 2015, 04:26:30 PM »
Alright people! Final Round!
EPIC Round!

3 CDs. Really?? A 31 minute song??  :facepalm:

This round could go 10 days. There is a TON of music here. Patience..