Author Topic: The TAC Roulette- Final Results!!!  (Read 101989 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The TAC Roulette- Round 6 Results up!
« Reply #1050 on: August 26, 2015, 04:50:05 AM »

The fuck has been going on on these 30 pages?  :lol

Tim's attempt to spam his own roulette and displace Nem's as the biggest and baddest.  13 more pages to go.   :lol

I was having that same thought, even went to the archives to see how many pages hers was, jebus what a fucking spamfest that one was, just brilliant.

Yes it was (moreso the brilliant part vs the spamfest).  This one is gonna surpass my first - 30 pages.  Was just perusing it in preparing for my v3 Opening Post.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The TAC Roulette- Round 7 is A-L-I-V-E!
« Reply #1051 on: August 26, 2015, 04:56:34 AM »
Even if I was ever thinking about running a roulette (which I wasn't), I wouldn't now after this, no point, nothing can top it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1052 on: August 26, 2015, 05:17:07 AM »
Even if I was ever thinking about running a roulette (which I wasn't), I wouldn't now after this, no point, nothing can top it.

Probably what Rod thought after shooting that video of Seventeen!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1053 on: August 26, 2015, 05:23:04 AM »
Yeah baby!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1054 on: August 26, 2015, 06:24:34 AM »
I went through the Archives a bit after Chad's post. Man, there have been a lot of roulettes. I have never really followed them, and have only participated in less than a half dozen.

I had also never followed or considered doing a Top 50, until I stumbled upon the end of Chad's list. Saw Slade and that really excited me. You just never see a Slade reference on DTF. I was then inspired to do my own.
I had actually thought J Boy was a lot younger until I read is Top 50! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1055 on: August 26, 2015, 06:26:00 AM »
TAC top 50?  Yes please!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1056 on: August 26, 2015, 06:28:09 AM »
I went through the Archives a bit after Chad's post. Man, there have been a lot of roulettes. I have never really followed them, and have only participated in less than a half dozen.

I had also never followed or considered doing a Top 50, until I stumbled upon the end of Chad's list. Saw Slade and that really excited me. You just never see a Slade reference on DTF. I was then inspired to do my own.
I had actually thought J Boy was a lot younger until I read is Top 50! :lol

I remember you jumping in.  Good thing you kept reading after seeing Shania Twain, Prince, and No Doubt!

TAC top 50?  Yes please!

He did one you bozo.  Guess you know your homework for tonight.

Edit... Jezuz Kade... you were the third person to post in his thread!  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=34205.msg1409763#msg1409763

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1057 on: August 26, 2015, 06:30:16 AM »
Tim did do one but I think Kip is hoping for a heavily corrected v2.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1058 on: August 26, 2015, 06:30:39 AM »
Wolfking..you were there for it!  Honorary Fogey!

Tim did do one but I think Kip is hoping for a heavily corrected v2.

Hmm..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1059 on: August 26, 2015, 06:31:32 AM »
TAC top 50?  Yes please!

Edit... Jezuz Kade... you were the third person to post in his thread!  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=34205.msg1409763#msg1409763

:rollin :rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1060 on: August 26, 2015, 06:37:09 AM »
Umm.....yeah, I knew that.  :\

Looking back now, I remember, I even post regulary in it.  :lol

Fuck, my top 50 was July 2012!!!  Just feels like yesterday.  I should do another one.  Mine was mainly based on nostalgia.  There would be quite a few albums over the last few years that would be in it now, and would be more representative of my current tastes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1061 on: August 26, 2015, 06:38:01 AM »
TAC top 50?  Yes please!

:rollin :rollin

Yeah, um.......yeah....err....don't mind me, carry on.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1062 on: August 26, 2015, 06:45:42 AM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: August 26, 2015, 06:47:37 AM »
I remember when I did the inital list that it was based on albums I grew up on or ones that really helped me or changed my life.  A lot of those albums I don't really listen to anymore, which is strange.  I think now it would be different, the top 50 would be purely based on enjoyment and replay value over the years.  A lot of the albums would still be in there, I wouldn't make it totally different but it would be good to go in with a different perspective.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1064 on: August 26, 2015, 07:23:34 AM »
I remember when I did the inital list that it was based on albums I grew up on or ones that really helped me or changed my life.  A lot of those albums I don't really listen to anymore, which is strange.  I think now it would be different, the top 50 would be purely based on enjoyment and replay value over the years.  A lot of the albums would still be in there, I wouldn't make it totally different but it would be good to go in with a different perspective.

It was tough to do a Top 50. Generally I would take the "if I could only listen to 50 albums for the rest of my life, which ones would they be?" approach.

But it is important to point out the landmark albums in your life.

I've considered doing a v.2, but I'd be hard pressed to pick a direction. I know I wouldn't take the approach of trying to find 50 albums no one has heard of.

I also think it'd be dumb doing a v.2 consisting of my fave albums 100-51. Seems pointless after listing 50-1.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1065 on: August 26, 2015, 07:24:45 AM »
I really should do one.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1066 on: August 26, 2015, 07:26:45 AM »
I really should do one.

You absolutely should. I think it'd be great!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: August 26, 2015, 08:38:01 AM »
I really should do one.

I don't know if I could even do it. I may give it an attempt in my off time just to see if it's possible. If so, perhaps I'd sign up.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1068 on: August 26, 2015, 08:40:31 AM »
I really should do one.

I don't know if I could even do it. I may give it an attempt in my off time just to see if it's possible. If so, perhaps I'd sign up.
I'd definitely follow.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: August 26, 2015, 08:53:43 AM »
I really should do one.

I'd definitely follow.

Oh man...I don't know. We share some tastes in music that would make you nod your head--like our mutual admiration for Schenker's tone and lead style. But when I started listing blues albums or Andrea Bocelli Sacred Arias I think I'd loose you pretty quick.  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1070 on: August 26, 2015, 01:33:46 PM »
Yeah, but a Top 50 is OK if it's diverse. You should definitely do it.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: August 26, 2015, 01:42:27 PM »

It was tough to do a Top 50. Generally I would take the "if I could only listen to 50 albums for the rest of my life, which ones would they be?" approach.

I've considered doing a v.2, but I'd be hard pressed to pick a direction. I know I wouldn't take the approach of trying to find 50 albums no one has heard of.

I also think it'd be dumb doing a v.2 consisting of my fave albums 100-51. Seems pointless after listing 50-1.

I think if I ever decide to do a v.2, I would go with Chad's approach - 50 albums I got introduced to via DTF.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: August 26, 2015, 02:06:51 PM »
I think if I ever decide to do a v.2, I would go with Chad's approach - 50 albums I got introduced to via DTF.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1073 on: August 26, 2015, 03:38:39 PM »
I really should do one.

I'd definitely follow.

Oh man...I don't know. We share some tastes in music that would make you nod your head--like our mutual admiration for Schenker's tone and lead style. But when I started listing blues albums or Andrea Bocelli Sacred Arias I think I'd loose you pretty quick.  :lol

I had paganini's concertos in mine... Don't think anyone commented...  :biggrin:

Should have had a Schenker album in there though strangers in the Night was there so that counts

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: August 26, 2015, 03:50:38 PM »

Mine would probably have a lot of DTF influence also.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1075 on: August 26, 2015, 04:03:49 PM »
Should have had a Schenker album in there though strangers in the Night was there so that counts

I had MSG (his 2nd one) in my Top 10. An incredible album.

But while there is NO guitarist I like more than Michael Schenker, I must concede that a lot of his albums are kind of iffy.

I'd rank them like this:
MSG
Built To Destroy
Bridge The Gap
Assault Attack
Save Yourself
Spirit On A Mission

But after that, there's a lot of mediocrity, not so much in his playing, but songwise. I mean, you can kind of get a sense when he's tuned in.

If anything Paul, you need more UFO!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1076 on: August 26, 2015, 04:04:37 PM »
I gotta check out more Schenker, don't know much of his stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1077 on: August 26, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »

How familiar are you with Schenker era UFO?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: August 26, 2015, 04:16:11 PM »

Like Saxon, mostly know their later stuff, quite unfamiliar with their earlier work.  I have a few of their older albums though, just never gave them repeated listens.

I own;

Lights Out
Obsession
One of Those Nights
Phenomenon
Strangers in the Night
Showtime

Plus all of them from You Are Here bar the last one.  So I have a couple of the classics, should dig them out.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1079 on: August 26, 2015, 04:27:29 PM »

Like Saxon, mostly know their later stuff, quite unfamiliar with their earlier work.  I have a few of their older albums though, just never gave them repeated listens.

I own;

Lights Out
Obsession
One of Those Nights
Phenomenon
Strangers in the Night
Showtime

Plus all of them from You Are Here bar the last one.  So I have a couple of the classics, should dig them out.

For me the SiTN versions are faultless. But you have the early essentials there but the 80s albums are great too. They were a great band , and they were my first gig.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1080 on: August 26, 2015, 04:28:01 PM »
 Of the 5 original Schenker albums you are only missing the 2nd (Force It) and 3rd (No Heavy Petting).

For my money, playing wise, No Heavy Petting is Schenker's best work. He's untouchable on that.

Think about Phenomenon for a minute. He was 18 when that came out. Listen to that solo on Time On My Hands. Really??
And Force It is out of this world too.

You must also get the first reunion era album,  1993's Walk On Water.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1081 on: August 26, 2015, 04:38:27 PM »

I own;

One of Those Nights

Is this the 1992 live album from Japan with Laurence Archer? If so this is an incredible live album. One of my favorite versions of Love To Love!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1082 on: August 26, 2015, 04:51:55 PM »
I'll make sure I have a listen to these Tim.  And yeah, I think that's a live album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1083 on: August 26, 2015, 05:23:51 PM »
Pretty sure One Of These Nights was also released as Live In Tokyo 1992.
It's fantastic.

They made one album with Laurence Archer, 92's High Stakes And Dangerous Men, which was notable as it was a reunion of Phil Mogg and Pete Way, who left after 82's Mechanix.
High Stakes contains a Top 10 UFO track for me by ANY lineup.
Borderline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkKg6VRQtIo

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1084 on: August 26, 2015, 05:35:16 PM »
Kade, listen to these insane solos from No Heavy Petting:

Reasons Love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIyGsMad34o
Can You Roll Her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuDQAGL3eyY
Highway Lady: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhnKb3s7-HM

And the absolutely mesmerizing Belladonna:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNanzZZIa-I
So many luscious layers in this mellow track.

He's 20 years old when he recorded this album!!!!