Author Topic: The TAC Roulette- Final Results!!!  (Read 102855 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Roulette- Bosk, I hope DTF has insurance!!
« Reply #700 on: August 18, 2015, 09:41:35 AM »
First off, thank you everyone for my Winger Intervention. It was a success!!
Now I am not running out to buy a Winger CD, but at least I am on the road to recovery.

Has anyone ever been so wronged that it doesn't matter what a person does, they can never make amends?
Well, I was and I am happy to say that, Kip, you are now forgiven.

Some general observations:
The music was a lot heavier than I was expecting.
The vocals were much better than I thought they would be.
I'm still not sure where the band is "coming from".
Half the songs came from one album, but I still feel like I got a sprinkling of their discog. I'd be interested in hearing more from IV and Karma.

So, sorry to say that the Winger Round is officially over. Bosk, you may now change everyone back. Except Wolfking!  ;D

I actually liked every song. Here are the Results:

Kingshmegland – M16

So the first Winger track I hear is M16. Starts off pretty heavy. Then I hear “Charlie Foxtrot” and I’m thinking good grief. But other than those two words, this song is pretty cool. Love the vocals on it. Now a Winger song about war is not what I was expecting. But this song serves as a great opener to the round and definitely has me primed for more. After listening to M16, I am intrigued.

b5150 – Pull Me Under

M16 leads into Pull Me Under and this goes next level. I had no idea Winger could have a track this cool. Love the standard riff (Stand Up And Shout/Two Minutes To Midnight/Power And The Glory, etc…).  A real hot rocker (the song not Kip) with a great but short solo. This song stuck in my head. Memorable chorus and really a song right up my alley. Great choice.

jjrock88 – Hell To Pay

Last round aside, JJ continues his consistent delivery of rockers. I’m thinking if this was Krokus, it would be awesome. So if it’s Winger, can’t it be awesome too? It sure can. And I love the Alice Cooper style bridge. I’m 3 songs in and I’m thinking we might have a better round than the previous one! Again, a great choice to get me interested.

Evermind – Spell I’m Under

OK. Power Ballad. Uh oh! Another Krokus sounding tune. This is actually very catchy and it stays in my head. Great melodies. But some of these lyrics are pukeworthy! “Woman, how deep can I go, with every inch grows a new obsession.” Yuck!! That said, surprisingly, I really enjoyed this.

Senecadawg2 – Junkyard Dog (Tears On Stone)

Finally some Morganstein greatness in the beginning of Junkyard Dog. Settles into a nice rocker. Not in love with the lyrics, but musically it’s pretty good. And I love the transition into the Tears On Stone part. I love this arrangement. Megadeth uses it a lot, as did Ozzy era Sabbath. I actually like the second part better than the first. Shows off some nice versatility.

Jingle.boy – Blind Revolution Mad

The slow intro part is cool, if a bit long, and I liked where I thought it was going, but as the song really kicked in, it settled into a pretty mid tempo groove. IMO, the pace needed to be double what it is. I feel it would’ve been a bit more powerful as a faster song. Not a bad song by any stretch. I actually gave this song a few extra listens, but I couldn’t help feel that the heavy part was just a bit too slow.

Lonestar – Naked Son

I think this is solo Kip. Interesting song coming from Lonestar. This one is very mellow and picks up a little towards the end. This is how I feel about it. I never really looked forward to listening to it, but once it started, it’s pretty captivating. Great vocals and melodies. Ended up a lot stronger than I was expecting.

Big Hath – In My Veins

This song took a listen or two to sink in, but I love the GnR vibe on this one. Feels like they are channeling some Y&T too. I’m not really sure what else to say about it, other than I hear a lot Alice Cooper in it. This track didn’t really stand out for me, but I still enjoyed it.

Wolfking – Rainbow In The Rose

While the music sounds a little dated, I really liked this one. Not in love with the lyrics, but finally a song with some mad Morganstein drumming. He’s a beast on this. Some tastey guitar coming in and out of this song as well.  This one grew on me like a fungus. This ended up being one of my favorites. Listening to it put me in a time machine.

Updated Standings:

Wolfking-34.5
Senecadawg2-34.0
Kingshmegland-34.0
b5150-34.0
Lonestar-33.0
Jingle.boy-32.5
Evermind-32.5
Big Hath-32.0
jjrock88-32.0

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The TAC Roulette- Kip, You Are Forgiven! Scores are up!
« Reply #701 on: August 18, 2015, 09:50:57 AM »
I was trying to listen to this list of songs yesterday but ultimately got distracted. My take on "Spell I'm Under" was exactly yours. When it started I was all  ::)... then it got going and I thought  :tup... then he sang the lyric you cite and I was back to  :loser:. Still, by the end of it I thought it was a really good song.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #702 on: August 18, 2015, 10:01:27 AM »
I was trying to listen to this list of songs yesterday but ultimately got distracted. My take on "Spell I'm Under" was exactly yours. When it started I was all  ::)... then it got going and I thought  :tup... then he sang the lyric you cite and I was back to  :loser:. Still, by the end of it I thought it was a really good song.

You said it better than I did!

Note to TAC: Need more emoticons in write ups! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Roulette- Bosk, I hope DTF has insurance!!
« Reply #703 on: August 18, 2015, 10:03:36 AM »
Really wish I'd volunteered for this roulette new.  >:(

STress of the previous 2 was too much though.
Yeah, I was surprised I didn't hear from you!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #704 on: August 18, 2015, 10:13:04 AM »
I too thought the lyrics were cringeworthy, but I liked melodies and the vocal delivery, so I thought the song was pretty good overall.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #705 on: August 18, 2015, 11:22:43 AM »
Just a quick sampling of the Round 6 tracks and I will say that you guys are BRINGING it! More than making up for Round 4.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: August 18, 2015, 01:36:49 PM »
round 6 sent

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #707 on: August 18, 2015, 01:53:24 PM »
Damn... two rounds pulling the caboose score.

Glad the intervention was successful.  Now you don't need to be ashamed of your emot.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #708 on: August 18, 2015, 01:56:16 PM »
Damn... two rounds pulling the caboose score.
You might call it being the ass of the round! ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #709 on: August 18, 2015, 02:09:19 PM »
No Comment.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Roulette- Round 6 is kicking Round 4's Butt!
« Reply #710 on: August 18, 2015, 02:17:11 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #711 on: August 18, 2015, 02:20:57 PM »
Well, I sure am glad that round is over so we can have an end to the Winger avatars.  With that behind us, I'm sure only those that truly LOVE Kip will have him in their forum avatar going forward.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #712 on: August 18, 2015, 02:23:14 PM »
 :lol

I'm gonna relapse if you don't change it back!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #713 on: August 18, 2015, 02:29:21 PM »
Gotta run.  Should be back in a few hours.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #714 on: August 18, 2015, 02:29:54 PM »
Y&T sucks!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #715 on: August 18, 2015, 03:23:04 PM »
Lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: August 18, 2015, 03:27:15 PM »
Tim,  damn you're so hot.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #717 on: August 18, 2015, 03:34:40 PM »
Tim,  damn you're so hot.

I'm the butch in these relationships guys.

You just went from butch to bitch!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: August 18, 2015, 03:41:13 PM »
I like to butter up my bitches.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #719 on: August 18, 2015, 04:00:49 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: August 18, 2015, 04:40:11 PM »
:eyebrows:

So I've got my long song picked but I'm having a hard time with the live song.  Working on it now.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: August 18, 2015, 04:58:52 PM »
Saw sexy Kip Winger on the side and loled when I saw who owned it.  I knew we'd convert you Time.  ;D

And fuck you Chad, I took and punt with Rainbow and nailed it......kinda!  :hat

Fuck yeah, leading this shit now.  I'm not sure if my next song will keep me there though, but I'm confident in the tune.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #722 on: August 18, 2015, 05:27:08 PM »
Your inbox is full, Tim.

Here's my answer to your question about the wild card submission:

"Yeah I'm going to send something else for the live round, if you don't mind. The only reason this particular song is live is because there aren't any good versions of the studio version on YouTube and this live recording is just as good (if not better) anyways."   :tup
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #723 on: August 18, 2015, 05:31:04 PM »
Your inbox is full, Tim.

Fixed. Thank you.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #724 on: August 18, 2015, 05:33:02 PM »
Okay, I unlocked you now.  You can change it back.  :biggrin:

...but you don't have to.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #725 on: August 18, 2015, 05:37:05 PM »
Thanks for everything Bosk!!

Well not everything..

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: August 18, 2015, 05:41:22 PM »
It's never enough is it Tim?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #727 on: August 18, 2015, 05:49:41 PM »
Live round sent, just trying to settle on an epic. Not sure if I can catch up and win, but I'm going out in style man, dropping some big fucking guns on you...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #728 on: August 18, 2015, 06:09:57 PM »
Only 2.5 points from 1st to last so you never know.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: August 18, 2015, 06:58:30 PM »
Tim, what's the point of the live round?  Serious question.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: August 18, 2015, 07:04:34 PM »
Tim let me know if you got my round 6 song

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: August 18, 2015, 09:51:49 PM »
I'm sure Tim wouldn't have done his Rd 6 CD without some metal from
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #732 on: August 19, 2015, 05:38:10 AM »
Tim, what's the point of the live round?  Serious question.
Fair question.

Well as long as I've been interested in music (forever), Live Albums have always been a gateway to many bands.
The first album I ever bought was Kiss Alive II.
If I am starting with a band, I usually start with whatever live album they had. I would not be the huge UFO and Thin Lizzy fan I am without Strangers and Life.

I've done this as an adult as well. To introduce myself to Sym X, I bought Live On The Edge Of Forever. With Threshold, I started with Critical Energy.
I remember trying to decide which Iced Earth album I should start with, and saw Alive In Athens.

Even when I'm on a Dream Theater or Metallica kick, I rarely listen to the studio albums.

Live albums are very important for me and as I said, they are THE way for me to start with a band.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: August 19, 2015, 05:43:37 AM »
For me the live round has been by far the toughest - and I'm no epic hoarder either (although very,very happy with what I have there).

Pretty much all the good live albums I have (not many) are by bands on Tim's list.  Of the bands I think he might like almost none have a live album - and the few that do sound like shit , have a poor vocal etc...  :lol  I have settled on a couple of options finally but it's not an easy one.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: August 19, 2015, 05:48:14 AM »
Yeah, live round is definitely the toughest. I don't listen to live albums much, so I don't have a lot of options here. I'll probably have to send something outside of Tim's comfort zone.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.