Author Topic: The TAC Roulette- Final Results!!!  (Read 102946 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The TAC Roulette-Round 4 Results up!
« Reply #490 on: August 14, 2015, 01:08:05 PM »
No worries. I thought you might like it though. Anyway, I'll go with something different next open round.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #491 on: August 14, 2015, 01:08:57 PM »
The highlight of the album is the 24 minute ass whoopingof a ttitle track, Retrospective. Have at it man..
Will do. I like this band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #492 on: August 14, 2015, 01:14:24 PM »
it's time  :hat

I'll leave the Results title on the thread for a couple of hours. Then once the sun comes up in Australia, I should get the last song of the round and it will officially be ON!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #493 on: August 14, 2015, 01:46:38 PM »
I was hoping to do a little better this round, but I can't complain. It was a bit of a risk and I knew it might not pan out. And so long as I'm still on top of the pile, I'm very happy. Hopefully my Winger is not as bad as the rest of the lot.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #494 on: August 14, 2015, 02:10:51 PM »
Well, there goes using Ayreon as an option for the Epic round... Was gonna cheat and everything, using the Bruce-fronted Into the Black Hole!

Shocking scores from some of those songs - Obsessions "moved" me... like in the George Costanza "I think it moved" kinda way.  Silent Memorial....  :hefdaddy  Borealis -  :tup.

Jingle.boy – Flaming Row – Unearth The Truth

Well, I know how much you love this song, so you might want to stop reading here. First, this is a beautifully done song. Very deep and captivating. But it only seemed to work if I sat down and simply tried to lose myself in it.  I feel like I need to hear more around it, but as a stand alone song, this isn’t something I’d go back to. Again, I felt like I was trying to hard to like it. I’d be interested to hear something a bit heavier from this album and would certainly follow up any recs you may have.

Totally valid writeup - and demonstrates the risk in using songs from concept albums - like Obsessions too.  Beware though, Rage of Despair has some pretty serious growlie moments.  Listen at your own risk - though it did make me appreciate growls (when they are used appropriately as in this song).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #495 on: August 14, 2015, 02:15:54 PM »
I think with both the Ayreon and Flaming Row, I do plan on investigating more, and would appreciate some more recs. Again, neither song was bad by any stretch.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #496 on: August 14, 2015, 02:16:56 PM »
Guys, so I was thinking. What if we skip the Winger Round and have a Porcupine Tree Round instead?

;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: August 14, 2015, 02:30:50 PM »
Guys, so I was thinking. What if we skip the Winger Round and have a Porcupine Tree Round instead?

;D

I'd sooner sit on a porcupine.

As for Ayreon recs, I'm sure you'll get a host.  The Human Equation is my #2 album of all-time (behind I&W), and I'm highly partial to Day 10:Memories and Day 11:Love.  Into the Electric Castle is my 2nd fave - and Across The Rainbow Bridge and/or Isis and Osiris would be my recommendations there.  Although, you may like Into the Black Hole (as I mentioned, Dickinson provides the vocals).

Flaming Row only has two albums out - and honestly, Elinoire (the first) does require a full commitment - hard to pick an individual track.  If you want to try an individual track from their 2nd album (Mirage - A Portrayal of Figures), Aim L45 and Pictures are my two favorites.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #498 on: August 14, 2015, 03:08:15 PM »

;D

Or change an open round to this. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #499 on: August 14, 2015, 03:40:05 PM »
The Human Equation is definitely my first choice, and recommendation, for Ayreon. And yes, it is a bit off to isolate one of the tracks for a roulette. I understand the score, if for no other reason than that.

What's your deal with Porcupine Tree?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: August 14, 2015, 03:46:45 PM »
Winger song sent.

Don't know many of those tracks actaully.  Was happy to get the 8.5.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #501 on: August 14, 2015, 03:49:21 PM »
What's your deal with Porcupine Tree?

PT is another band that I do not get. Now I've heard very little, but a guy at work gave me a copy of Deadwing. I thought Arriving Somewhere and Something Beautiful were pretty decent songs but I did not care for the rest. I did not like the vocals. Thought they came off as pompous British kind of thing. I get they're good musicians and all that but I would really need to hear some more. Problem is, I'm not all that motivated to do so.

I came very close to actually having a Porcupine Tree Round in this roulette, but ultimately decided to have a Savatage one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #502 on: August 14, 2015, 04:00:31 PM »
OK Boys! IT IS ON!!!!!!!

THE WINGER ROUND!!!

A lot of people have asked me what's the deal with Winger. My name is TAC and this is my story.

OK..Hope you guys won’t find this too long, but I have to start the Winger Round with my true discovery of Alice Cooper.
I happened to be home from college on the weekend of Halloween 1986. It was my Freshman year. MTV was airing Alice’s show from Detroit that night. Now I wasn’t into Alice at the time. In fact, this was his comeback after being out of the spotlight for 5 years. Anyway, not sure why, but I just had to watch. You might call it Special Forces at work.
I was blown away, not just by Alice, but by his incredible band of top notch metal musicians. This was Heavy Metal Alice, and the metalized versions of Welcome To My Nightmare, Billion Dollar Babies, and The Ballad Of Dwight Fry and others were incredible. Found out they were playing a couple of weeks later in Worcester and I bought tickets. Saw the show. Mind blown.
I bought his new album Constrictor.  Going through the album credits, I see among others, the bass player’s name is Kip Winger. Yup, he’s the bassist in the touring band too. Among the touring band (which also included Kane Roberts and Ken Mary!), was a keyboard player name Paul Taylor.
Alice came back to the area again, playing the Providence Civic Center on 2/17/87. I snapped some great pics of this show, including one this of his bass player:

A few months later, Alice’s new album, Raise Your Fist And Yell, was released. Again, the band on the album is Roberts/Mary/Winger/Taylor. This album is incredible, and if you’ve never heard it, check out Roses On White Lace. Saw Alice at the Boston Garden on 11/17/87. The 3rd time seeing him in a year.
This time, he had another bassist playing, but essentially had the same band. Got this shot with Paul Taylor at the after show party:

(For the record,  I’m 19 in this picture. I actually had a can of Heineken in my other hand.)

Now I went full bore on Alice Cooper while in college, but I’ve always been fascinated about the incredible talent he always puts around him.
So a year or so later, I read that Kip Winger and Paul Taylor would be teaming up with Rod Morganstein (who I already know is a beast) and a hot shot new guitarist named Reb Beech, I was teeming with anticipation. This will have to be great, I though.

As soon as the album is released I run out and buy the tape. OK it has a cheesy cover, but there’s no way this is going to suck, could it?
As soon as I started listening, I thought the manufacturer put the wrong tape in the cassette. WTF was this horseshit? I was just getting back into thrash, listening to Helloween, Slayer, Metallica a lot during this time. Not to mention Iron Maiden, Queensryche..

But this is such cheesy and fake hair metal. Say what you want about Poison, and yes I think they sucked too, but at least I felt a certain genuineness about them. With Winger, it was so fake. Such posing. They simply became the poster children for all that was wrong in music at that time. Hair Metal, to me, jumped the shark with Winger. I felt they made a complete mockery of the whole scene. I KNEW they were better musicians than this. And I didn’t appreciate the expectations and the money I spent on this piece of shit.

Winger’s first album was literally the most disappointed I have ever been in an album. For the first time I felt truly let down by music. It made a scar.
To me, they just would always represent all that was wrong in music. I know through time, they would make a number of albums. And there are people I respect on this forum and others that like them and say they have some great music. Maybe they do, maybe they don’t. I’ll never know. That is, until now.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The TAC Roulette- Bosk, I hope DTF has insurance!!
« Reply #503 on: August 14, 2015, 04:09:37 PM »
I don't dislike Winger as much as you, but they really don't do much for me.  Decent is as much of a compliment as I will give them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: August 14, 2015, 04:16:44 PM »
Damn, that last paragraph was heavy.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #505 on: August 14, 2015, 04:22:45 PM »
Damn, that last paragraph was heavy.
It runs deep, brother! :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #506 on: August 14, 2015, 04:23:33 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: August 14, 2015, 04:26:12 PM »
Feel like my choice is gonna backfire, but I love it and was one of the first Winger songs I heard.  Plus is has some cool prog parts.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: August 14, 2015, 04:43:45 PM »
Not in the least surprised the submissions are heavy with Pull songs.  Someone's got balls to go with something from In The Heart of the Young.

Good luck Tim.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: August 14, 2015, 04:44:57 PM »
Someone's got balls to go with something from In The Heart of the Young.

They sure do.  :\

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #510 on: August 14, 2015, 04:45:45 PM »
Good luck Tim.

I'm gonna need it! ;D

I need Tempus to write me a letter!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #511 on: August 14, 2015, 05:25:22 PM »
Loving Pull Me Under, especially the "watch the sparrows falling" part. But why does it end so abrupty?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: August 14, 2015, 05:27:28 PM »
Loving Pull Me Under, especially the "watch the sparrows falling" part. But why does it end so abrupty?

There must be a gitch in your CD.

and a problem with you "l" key.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: August 14, 2015, 06:13:59 PM »
I had a feeling it would be "Pull" heavy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: August 14, 2015, 08:07:27 PM »
I had a feeling it would be "Pull" heavy.

Yup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: August 14, 2015, 09:44:17 PM »
Oh, my god... this was in the Frontiers FB feed.  It was clearly some kind of sign.

This week in 1988, Winger released their excellent self-titled debut album featuring their first hit single, "---------"! Turn this one up LOUD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlN3oEjMpUQ

:2metal:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #516 on: August 14, 2015, 09:51:57 PM »
 :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #517 on: August 15, 2015, 07:16:26 AM »
First listen:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: August 15, 2015, 07:37:17 AM »
 :lol

Hey, blame yourself.   You asked for it.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: August 15, 2015, 07:47:52 AM »
 :rollin
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: August 15, 2015, 09:18:34 AM »

Hey, blame yourself.   You asked for it.

He's having a heart attack because he likes it.  It's more like this:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: August 15, 2015, 10:17:35 AM »

I'm going to make the same playlist on my I-Pod.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #522 on: August 15, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »
Out of curiosity, since I'm not one of them, how would the proper Winger fans rank those submissions?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #523 on: August 15, 2015, 10:56:06 AM »
Out of curiosity, since I'm not one of them, how would the proper Winger fans rank those submissions?
9 songs tied for last place!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: August 15, 2015, 11:08:27 AM »
My song #1. :lol

I need to play the list again.  they're not fresh in my head since I own so many albums these days.