Author Topic: The TAC Roulette- Final Results!!!  (Read 101853 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The TAC Roulette-Shredders Unite!
« Reply #385 on: August 10, 2015, 03:29:30 PM »
Nope... just ask mrs.jingle - I'm a 3-minute man.

At best.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #386 on: August 10, 2015, 03:44:15 PM »
Round 3
Guitar Hero Instrumental Round

I’m sorry for some of the confusion. I just didn’t want this to simply be an Instrumental Round. I have never really been into these great guitar players like Vai, Satriani, etc..so I was looking for a good sampler of guitarists of that ilk.

Anyway, I got all of the submissions and was literally blown away by every one. I actually considered giving everyone a 9.0 and calling it a Push.
But I felt that one song definitely stood out,and I kept going back to a couple others.

So here we go:

Senecadawg2- Neal Schon-Bandalero

Nelson was first to submit, and I have to be honest, I wasn’t expecting to get Neal Schon in this round. That said, I couldn’t have asked for a better first track to my Guitar hero CD. It almost acts as a nice intro. But this is an incredible beautiful and stunning piece. Highly unexpected but much enjoyed.

b5150 – Joe Satriani-One Big Rush

Alright. Some Satch!. Now everything (very little) I’ve heard from him is basically a steady drum beat with him plaing over. This is like that, but I really like where he goes with this. It’s as though he is singing verses with his guitar. Memorable hooks all over the place. Definitely a cool driving song, as advertised.

Evermind-Blackmore’s Night (feat Ritchie Blackmore)-Carry On…Jon
Evermind deserves extra points as he sent me his selections from a hospital bed! Bravo brother!! He was also the first to use his Wild Card sending this along with David Gilmour’s Castellorizon. After one listen, it was an easy choice. Blackmore. This is a great tribute to Jon Lord. Very touching and moving. I’ve been listening to Blackmore my entire life, and there was something very comfortable here. Love the Jon inspired organ part too.

Lonestar-Alek Darson-Sprockets   

Apparently a Berklee grad, this is what I now expect from Lonestar.  Very chunky and progressive. This kid can play. I think it’s amazing to come up with a composition like this. This took a little while to warm up to but this officially kicks this playlist into overdrive.

jjrock88- Tony Macalpine- Edge Of Insanity

I was really hoping for some Tony Macalpine here. Going all the way back to 1986 for Edge Of Insanity. JJ loves his 80’s!! This one really stuck with me throughout the entire round. It has an infectious feel and some great 80’s shred. Very memorable, and he will be on my exploration list after this is all done. Also, loved the Schenker-ish outro. And you know that hits my sweet spot for sure!

Big Hath-Racer X (feat Paul Gilbert)-Technical Difficulties

Coupled with TM, this made a great 1-2 punch on my CD. This was also a favorite of the round. Believe it or not, I have never checked out Racer X. And for no good reason. I was amazed at how effortlessly Paul Gilbert makes his playing feel. Love the opening riffage and a classic guitar instrumental. This was a real joy.

Wolfking- Marco Sfogli –Still Hurts

Track of the round. Seriously, it takes the shred, the progressiveness, the melodicness, and the power of this round and packs it all into one track. I absolutely love this song and will definitely be checking this album out.  Really impressive. I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’m not nuts about the last few Labrie albums. They do rock pretty good though, I’ll give them that. This is such a great piece I kept going back to it.

Kingshmegland-Animals As Leaders (feat Tosin Abasi)- CAFO

Holy Shred, Batman! This is absolutely insane. WTF! These guys can play. This is very intense and a little busy  yet fairly easy to listen to. I’m checking these guys out. I went back and forth on scoring this bitch but I’m going with a 9.5.

Jingle.Boy-Wasaya (feat Tarek Shehabi)-Garden Of Doubts   

The Guitar Hero CD ends with the longest track at over 7 minutes that gives this whole experience an epic closer. So many great passages in this and really quite a find. Definitely following up here for sure.
Really melodic and inspiring and a complete joy to experience.

Standings:

Senecadawg2-27.5
Kingshmegland-27.0
Evermind-26.5
Jingle.boy-26.5
Wolfking-26.5
b5150-26.0
Lonestar-26.0
jjrock88-25.5
Big Hath-25.5

Seriously guys, this was really tough. I really agonized over the scoring, and if another track scored higher than yours, it was a really small margin. Every song was absolutely incredible.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:54:27 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The TAC Roulette-Shred Scores up!
« Reply #387 on: August 10, 2015, 03:47:17 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #388 on: August 10, 2015, 03:51:57 PM »
The Marco was an awesome tune. Took the best of everything in the round and put it in one place.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:59:39 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #389 on: August 10, 2015, 03:53:04 PM »
which AAL song?  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #390 on: August 10, 2015, 03:53:47 PM »
The next round is officially:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #391 on: August 10, 2015, 03:55:19 PM »
which AAL song?  :lol
CAFO..fixed. Being that it was the King's track, I figured I'd fuck up the posting in his honor! ;D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #392 on: August 10, 2015, 03:55:36 PM »
okay yeah CAFO is probably my favorite AAL off their debut (and I never checked out the others) so that's a good pick yes

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #393 on: August 10, 2015, 04:11:02 PM »
As a shred fan I was looking forward to this. As it is I'm familiar with most of these tracks.
I'll have to check out Chad and Lonestars tracks though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #394 on: August 10, 2015, 04:12:07 PM »
Both are excellent.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: August 10, 2015, 04:25:13 PM »
Jingle.Boy-Wasaya (feat Tarek Shehabi)-Garden Of Doubts   

The Guitar Hero CD ends with the longest track at over 7 minutes that gives this whole experience an epic closer. So many great passages in this and really quite a find. Definitely following up here for sure.
Really melodic and inspiring and a complete joy to experience.

Glad you enjoyed... I was pretty leary, since I wouldn't exactly call this guy a shredder.  Knowing I'd be going up against MacAlpine, Satch, Vai (though no one sent him!), Gilbert and the like, I figured I'd 'flank' my competition.

https://wasaya.bandcamp.com/releases

Check his EP out for those that want to listen to what he has to offer - quite diverse, creative, and almost eclectic.

I can't wait to build this playlist... hopefully it's all in Spotify - if not, purchases will be made.

Now it's time to drop the bomb.  Favorite song, from my most beloved musical discovery of the last 10 years.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: August 10, 2015, 05:03:49 PM »
There's actually a few songs there that I haven't heard.  Will have to check them all out.

I almost sent a TMac song but changed my mind at the last minute.  Was looking at Agrionia or Empire in the Sky.

I have no clue what to send now.  Will get onto this tonight.  looking forward to seeing what this song is Chad.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #397 on: August 10, 2015, 05:16:31 PM »
Apparently it's the..

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #398 on: August 10, 2015, 05:35:43 PM »
Boo yeah!  Great news while bowling in Columbus!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #399 on: August 10, 2015, 06:28:04 PM »
I'm glad you enjoyed the song! Neal Schon is a beast on some of those early Journey songs. Of a Lifetime, the song, in particular.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #400 on: August 10, 2015, 06:31:59 PM »
I'm glad you enjoyed the song! 
I really did!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: August 11, 2015, 12:27:02 AM »
That is one high scoring round!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: August 11, 2015, 04:20:38 AM »
I'm glad you enjoyed the song! Neal Schon is a beast on some of those early Journey songs. Of a Lifetime, the song, in particular.

Yeah... absolutely under-rated soloist.

Also surprised no one sent Becker.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #403 on: August 11, 2015, 05:00:50 AM »
Also surprised no one sent Becker.
For some reason, I actually expected Kade to send him to me.

Just two more submissions needed for Round 4!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: August 11, 2015, 05:22:47 AM »
Wow, you guys know me too well.

Altitudes was actually the first song I thought of and was about to be sent, then TMAC, then for some reason went Sfogli.

Thinking about it now, I'm not sure what steered me away from Becker and TMac.  I think I wanted that bit of technical stuff with the Satch type melody.  I think I was afraid that Becker might have been a bit too shred for Tim, but looking at some of the submissions, probably not

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: August 11, 2015, 05:26:38 AM »
I said to Tim in my PM that I thought he would get bombarded with Altitudes and For The Love of God and he got neither  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #406 on: August 11, 2015, 05:28:18 AM »
God bless him. What a tragedy. I actually saw him when he played with DLR.
And I can handle some shred! :)

That is one high scoring round!
Honestly, that's how I felt. I LOVED every submission.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: August 11, 2015, 05:28:42 AM »
I said to Tim in my PM that I thought he would get bombarded with Altitudes and For The Love of God and he got neither  :lol

Tim, definitely check Altitudes from Jason Becker too.  I'm actually intrigued to see how it stacks up against the rest of the entries.

Alright, shh, enough chatter, I gotta find a song for round 4.  :-\

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #408 on: August 11, 2015, 05:35:59 AM »
I will.

But everyone should remember that they can use their Wild Card and submit two songs for any round (except the Winger Round). Please don't save all of the Wild Cards for the Epic Round. Not sure I need 18 Epics to sift through! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: August 11, 2015, 05:47:33 AM »
Sent.  Went for something that's quite new to me and only been listening for a couple of months, but the song I sent is one of my favs of the year.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #410 on: August 11, 2015, 06:03:15 AM »
Tim, definitely check Altitudes from Jason Becker too.  I'm actually intrigued to see how it stacks up against the rest of the entries.

Listening now. WOW. Phenomenal. Like I said, I know there are all these great guitarists out there, but I just don't really gravitate towards any of it.
It's amazing how young he was when this was recorded. Truly a great loss. As great of a loss as Randy Rhoads easily.

Scores a 9.5 on first listen but would've likely fetched a 10!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: August 11, 2015, 06:05:27 AM »
Win win for me then if I sent it instead. haha.

It is such a great loss.  It's great Jason defied the odds and is still alive, but his talent taken away so brutal and young is such a loss.  The mind boggles at what he would have become if he stayed fit.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: August 11, 2015, 06:15:10 AM »
Here's a great vid of Marco playing Still Hurts Tim for you to check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iau3w0ilKM

I actually recorded my own version of Still Hurts as I purchased a legit backing track of it back in the day.  I should link it and share it and see what you think.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #413 on: August 11, 2015, 06:20:32 AM »
I'd love to see your version.

How is the rest of that album? Is it all instrumental?

Actually listening to Sirens right now for DM's Savatage Discog thread.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: August 11, 2015, 06:23:54 AM »
It's just an audio version, I never did a youtube vid because it's just too hard to nail the whole song in one take.

Yeah, the whole album is instrumental, with loads of variety.

Here's another one of my favs;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOx_uxq7i3g

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: August 11, 2015, 06:38:09 AM »
Yet another bad assumption on my part  :lol -  Altitudes was my first thought but I decided Tim would likely prefer something a bit more riff based. Nope.

I also considered submitting something I played on many years ago but didn't have the time to muck around tidying up/digitising old tapes.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #416 on: August 11, 2015, 06:43:12 AM »
Yet another bad assumption on my part  :lol -  Altitudes was my first thought but I decided Tim would likely prefer something a bit more riff based. Nope.

;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #417 on: August 11, 2015, 07:07:03 AM »
Here's a great vid of Marco playing Still Hurts Tim for you to check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iau3w0ilKM
Awesome!

Here's another one of my favs;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOx_uxq7i3g
Nice, but not as good as Still Hurts.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The TAC Roulette-Round 4 is Open! Literally!
« Reply #418 on: August 11, 2015, 08:48:55 AM »
Alright folks, sorry for delaying this, the song should be in Tim's PM now. Looking forward to the results! Not looking forward to the next round!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline senecadawg2

Re: The TAC Roulette-Round 4 is Open! Literally!
« Reply #419 on: August 11, 2015, 10:15:39 AM »
AAL was the first concert I ever went to and CAFO was the first song I ever saw live, some 6 years ago (yes- I'm much younger than you Tim  :lol). I wasn't very familiar with them at the time and I still don't listen to them so much, but I remember being very impressed. It's an interesting choice that I wouldn't have thought about.

I'm excited to see the submissions this next round! Chad's song might be the bomb, but I know he would say the same thing about mine.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.