Author Topic: Royal Blood  (Read 1582 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Royal Blood
« on: April 21, 2015, 09:52:12 PM »
Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this band from the UK? I heard them on Conan a few nights ago and had to check them out. I bought their debut album after hearing their performance on the show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XjaVkLVXZ0 (That's just a wig on the drummer)

They are just two guys--A bass player and a drummer. They really sound like a four piece, that's what caught my eyes and ears right away was the monstrous sound they produce. They've already gotten endorsed by Jimmy Page, Howard Stern, and the Foo Fighters, for whom Royal Blood will be opening for during the US tour this summer.

If you haven't heard of them, check out the link. They are fairly catchy and I've spun their debut record for the past few days and really enjoy it.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Royal Blood
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 10:10:20 PM »
They thrash these guys on the radio over here one song Little Monster (I think) and Figure it Out (?? I think), that has an awesome breakdown at the end where it goes into a double time thing.  The bass player gets such an amazing bass tone, I really dig that. 

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 04:33:37 PM »
Yeah, Little Monster is the other one that I have heard on the radio since hearing Figure It Out the other day. It's a really catchy tune.

Lars Ulrich joined them onstage for one song a week ago, the drummer just went and crowd surfed for the song.  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 02:27:07 AM »
I checked them out right away when I heard "Out of the Black" near the end of 2013. They're pretty cool and the album is overall pretty nice as well but they really need to expand on their sound a bit. I get that they're sort of supposed to be more simplistic in their style but it made the album too samey for me.

They also seem to be a bit too "radio rock" friendly in that way. I don't consider myself prog-snob at all but I do appreciate when a band will take a few chances here and there. I believe they have a chance to do some really good stuff but likely will continue to sort of play it safe for the sales aspect and that's understandable. I'll continue listening to their debut off and on and will be waiting to see where they take things in the future!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 10:13:40 AM »
I'm with WebRaider on this one. They bring a catchy sound that's heavy and with a lot of groove, but there's def some expanding needed with their sound.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 06:07:31 PM »
Just picked up the album

It kicks ass  :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 09:32:33 AM »
Dude, I thought I was the only one around here, I've been listening to Royal Blood for so long, even though they only have one album, there's not a single letdown on it. (not to mention great covers from various bands)
Faves are probably Loose Change, Out of the Black and Come on Over.

EDIT: BTW they played a song they haven't released yet on the summer 2015 tour, it's called Hook Line and Sinker and it's pretty amazing, sadly there aren't any good quality vids of it.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 07:23:54 PM »
I've been listening to them a lot over the last couple of months. Someone around here mentioned them. I forget who, but they've been one of my favorite discoveries this year.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 06:36:28 AM »
Be sure (whoever hasn't) to check out all the B-Sides aswell, Love and Leave it Alone, Hole, You Want Me and One Trick Pony.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 11:24:20 AM »
New song on their facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RoyalBloodUK/?fref=ts

I'm kinda indifferent on it. At first I was very disappointed because it sounded like some mediocre mainstream rock, the instrumental breaks are pretty cool, but based on this I don't think we'll get anything as good as s/t, though that's a pretty high standard IMO, I still like this track.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 03:47:25 PM »
Hm, good song, but nothing as close to any song on the album. But still I`m waiting for their second album. I think they went on to record the album, didn`t they?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 03:45:04 AM »
I think they're recording, yeah.

Can't help but think Royal Blood was a one time fluke, I absolutely love their debut, but these guys, assuming they keep their current line-up, are confined to a certain sound with limited instruments. The idea of only having bass, drums and vocals is really cool and original, but how long till they'll run out of new ideas? Still somewhat excited for the album and I like the new song alright, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 04:31:16 AM »
You`re probably right about that, but I still hope the second album will be good as well. The debut imo was one of the most innovative albums in the last few years due to the special sound of the band and every song was destinctively different from the other ones, so I hope they`ll come up with some nice ideas for album nr.2.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 12:19:44 PM »
So this band still exists. New song released and album release date revealed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSznpyG9CHY

Album title "How Did We Get So Dark?", out June 16th.

The song is pretty damn good, not among their best but I like it. Classic hardrock influences still very present but it doesn't sound as rehashed as I expected.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 02:14:35 PM »
Sounding good again. First album was pretty cool but got samey after a while. Really digging the lead part 2/3 into the track.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 05:44:15 PM »
Not bad!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 12:47:43 AM »
New song "I Only Lie When I Love You": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BermIHe03zU&feature=youtu.be

I definitely remember them playing this one live. I remember those cowbells very vividly. The song is alright but very straightforward, not a bad tune but Lights Out is definitely the best I've heard so far. I believe they also released Hook Line & Sinker a while ago, theyve been playing this song live for over a year but I think an official video of it is now online too. Lights Out is still the best single IMO, it's as good as some of the best songs on the first album IMO.

They also played a new song from the upcoming album last month (don't remember the name) which had piano leads by Mike. Pretty interesting, but I don't remember much about the song itself so maybe it wasn't that great.