Author Topic: Live bootleg on Spotify - In Warwick, Rhode Island May 15, 1993 ( Remastered)  (Read 12039 times)

Offline Cordez

Did anyone notice this bootleg on Spotify? I couldnt find a press release for this. Also its released by Lilith Records, so I don't know if the band has anything to do with this.

https://play.spotify.com/album/3IvnUvO0UmpAEW0hXtmtq1

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:48:14 AM by Cordez »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
The show is quite famous (a FM recording, if I remember correctly), but I've never seen this version before. It features a unique setlist, one of the only two times in the history of Dream Theater that Learning To Live was used as the opener! James isn't in top form but the bootleg is nevertheless interesting. It's also the first time To Live Forever was performed with the JJJKM lineup!

Anyway, I'm 99.99% certain the band has nothing to do with this bootleg being on spotify.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
I did a little research for the record label:
 "Record company LILITH exists in the russian market since 2004, and for this rather short period of time was able to occupy its own position among the Russian sound recording companies. The main direction of our activities is re-releasing foreign classics of 60, 70 on heavy 180-gramme vinyl and compact discs. In the LILITH’s catalogue it is possible to find anything: from republished albums of Kiss to known only in the narrow circles Clodin Longet and Black Merda, etc., but the main criterion from which we make a start in the selection of the collection material inaccessible to a audience on vinyl and compact discs. Each our release is an event which is carefully prepared. We work over а master, prepare the extra-material including lyrics, photos, interviews, the unique information about an artist or a group . We manufacture our production in Czech Republic at factory Digital Media that implies the highest quality of mediums, and polygraphy. The company plans to enlarge the catalogue, and release not less than five releases in a month."
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
It's also on Google Play, listed with a pricetag of £1.29.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline Setlist Scotty

It's also the first time To Live Forever was performed with the JJJKM lineup!
Incorrect! That honor goes to the famous Limelight gig on March 4, 1993!   :P

Anyway, I'm 99.99% certain the band has nothing to do with this bootleg being on spotify.
I'm pretty sure that you're right on this tho. I read somewhere that there's a loophole in one (or more) European countries having to do with being able to release radio broadcasts on CD without the punishment that normally goes with producing traditional bootlegs (usually audience recordings). So that's why this show, a couple of early Rush shows (from 1974) and an early Queensryche show are now legally being produced, without any involvement from the respective bands. Wouldn't surprise me if we see more DT broadcasts end up being released "officially" down the road.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline lyfeternl

I believe the songs have already been taken down (can't get them to show up when I save the album)... Bummer!
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
It's also the first time To Live Forever was performed with the JJJKM lineup!
Incorrect! That honor goes to the famous Limelight gig on March 4, 1993!   :P

Man he keeps slipping.  Remember all the dates he got wrong in the "Best Bootleg" thread.   He has to stop going to school and save his brain for more important stuff.   ;)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
JESUS FUCKING NAVAS (Spanish footbal player), how could I f****** get that wrong. Dear lord, Alzheimer at 24...  :yeahright
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline jmarkwilson

CD and vinyl are available to pre-order at Amazon UK.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

I recorded the original radio broadcast on cassette.   Love the jam after To Live Forever, which is quite different from the later Japanese version and European ("Barfbag").  A CD-R bootleg of the show was listed recently on eBay.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:47:30 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline Setlist Scotty

I recorded the original radio broadcast on cassette.   Love the jam after To Live Forever, which is quite different from the later Japanese version and European ("Barfbag").  A CD-R bootleg of the show was listed recently on eBay.
Yeah, I love that instrumental too - glad that there's at least one recording of it in existence for us to enjoy!

Regarding your recording - I assume you lived back east when that show happened? And was your recording of the original broadcast or a later re-broadcast? I'm curious to know because from what I've heard, during the original broadcast, there were sound issues with the broadcast itself (static, etc) that is on all the recordings I've come across. Many years ago, a collector had told me that this show was rebroadcast, without the sound issues and that he had a recording of it. Unfortunately, I never managed to get a copy of this rebroadcast from him, and I lost his contact many years ago. On top of that, his name is a fairly common name, so trying to search him out on the Internet would be a time-consuming prospect.  :sad:

So how does your recording sound, particularly during Learning to Live?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Yeah, I was living in Boston back then.  WHJY in Providence was the only station that consistently played Dream Theater over the airwaves.

Unfortunately, my recording is from the original broadcast and it sure has the static ambiance.  I don't mind it so much for nostalgic reasons.  It was my very first DT bootleg and recorded on a see-through maxell cassette.   The static is present, but not overpowering.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:23:07 AM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Yeah, I love that instrumental too - glad that there's at least one recording of it in existence for us to enjoy!

Regarding your recording - I assume you lived back east when that show happened? And was your recording of the original broadcast or a later re-broadcast? I'm curious to know because from what I've heard, during the original broadcast, there were sound issues with the broadcast itself (static, etc) that is on all the recordings I've come across. Many years ago, a collector had told me that this show was rebroadcast, without the sound issues and that he had a recording of it. Unfortunately, I never managed to get a copy of this rebroadcast from him, and I lost his contact many years ago. On top of that, his name is a fairly common name, so trying to search him out on the Internet would be a time-consuming prospect.  :sad:

So how does your recording sound, particularly during Learning to Live?

The one I have is taped by Nate.  I'm going to check for other versions though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I taped the original broadcast. I did not go to the show but listened to it.
I tape traded it out shortly after the broadcast. I had always assumed I F'd up the recording myself. I had never heard of a rebroadcast. I listened to WHJY a lot in those days and had a keen ear for DT, and I never heard them mention a rebroadcast.

I'll tell you what I would KILL for. I saw them a few times at The Strand in Providence, including opening night of the Awake tour. They had a closed circuit camera on them feeding a TV in the pool table area. Would love to get that video!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RaiseTheKnife

I would be surprised if those close circuit cameras were actually recording.  They might have been relaying the feed only.  I have no idea if clubs actually recorded (onto VHS or 3/4" tapes) back then, but given the number of bands that played year-round, I'd be surprised, and if so, shocked if such recordings were retained.

My buddies went to that show, which debuted many Awake songs.  I saw them perform the next day at Berklee. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
  I saw them perform the next day at Berklee.
So did I. Recorded both shows. I had always thought that the Berklee show would've made a great Ytsejam release given their (short) history at Berklee. It was great to catch them before Innocence Faded and TOWHTSTS were dropped.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Yeah!  Did Heart of the Sunrise precede Innocence Faded at those shows?  I sort of recall that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Heart Of The Sunrise wasn't played at those shows.
The first 3 songs were:
PMU
6:00
Innocence Faded

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Yeah!  Did Heart of the Sunrise precede Innocence Faded at those shows?  I sort of recall that.

That only happened at the Change of Seasons Tour in Japan and at one of the Home For The Holidays Shows. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...

That only happened at the Change of Seasons Tour in Japan and at one of the Home For The Holidays Shows.

Maybe they were trying to nail Heart of the Sunrise for the Ronnie Scott's gig?

Offline Setlist Scotty

Nope - the Ronnie Scott's show was in Jan 95, whereas the shows Snob is referring to were at the end of the same year.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Nope - the Ronnie Scott's show was in Jan 95, whereas the shows Snob is referring to were at the end of the same year.

Thanks, Scotty.  As long as there's one of us that can remember these things at any given time, we'll be fine. Obviously, I wasn't reading that very closely.

Offline Setlist Scotty

Thanks, Scotty.  As long as there's one of us that can remember these things at any given time, we'll be fine. Obviously, I wasn't reading that very closely.
No problem my friend! The irony of this all is, I remember that you wrote an article in the Images and Words fanzine for either the October 95 Japanese shows, or the 95 Home for the Holidays shows!    :biggrin:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Just listening to this on Spotify (it's still up, at least in Finland)... The static is pretty annoying, but apart from that the sound and the mix are pretty good, and the performance is solid. It's awesome that Status Seeker, TLF and Eve are in the set, but I can't believe they opened with LTL! :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Just listening to this on Spotify (it's still up, at least in Finland)... The static is pretty annoying, but apart from that the sound and the mix are pretty good, and the performance is solid. It's awesome that Status Seeker, TLF and Eve are in the set, but I can't believe they opened with LTL! :lol

I love the old bootlegs simple because you get a lot of the songs you won't likely hear live much anymore.  Songs like Status Seeker and Eve are great to hear live. I wish they would break out an old track like that again like they did with To Live Forever in Huntington, Long Island.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
No problem my friend! The irony of this all is, I remember that you wrote an article in the Images and Words fanzine for either the October 95 Japanese shows, or the 95 Home for the Holidays shows!    :biggrin:

You're right.  It would have been the Home For The Holidays shows as I went to those.  See, I forgot about that too. Getting old sucks!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Son Of A Bitch! Was this the show at the amusement park?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Son Of A Bitch! Was this the show at the amusement park?
Yes it was.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
So my first DT shoW. Sweet!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cordez

Saw today that 2 more bootlegs are on Spotify:

Summerfest, Milwaukee, June 29th, 1993:
https://open.spotify.com/album/49cHwwAwg17jQuFsFkvmJP

Nakano Sunplaza, Tokyo, Japan, January 24th, 1995
https://open.spotify.com/album/1XLrAFu5uKDLn7Bdgb3FV0

In contrast of the one I posted when opening this topic, these are actually of nice quality!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni

In contrast of the one I posted when opening this topic, these are actually of nice quality!

Glad to see a nice version of the Awake jam and "A Crack in the Mirror" available (unofficially or not), but man is the bass mix annoying on that '95 show. Happy to hear Myung, of course, just not the terrible attack frequencies in the higher register (>1kHz) that make a bass sound like a rumbling mouse. Also, not exactly James' finest tour...

Offline Setlist Scotty

I'd be curious to know what the source is of it. So many bootlegs of this show are not that great. Lords of Sound is probably the best known one, but the sound is slowed down and there's a part of LtL(?) that's missing. Best version of this show is "Beneath the Blackened Summer Sky".

Glad to see a nice version of the Awake jam and "A Crack in the Mirror" available (unofficially or not), but man is the bass mix annoying on that '95 show. Happy to hear Myung, of course, just not the terrible attack frequencies in the higher register (>1kHz) that make a bass sound like a rumbling mouse. Also, not exactly James' finest tour...
There's a crystal clear soundboard of the show the night before that's circulating in trading circles that has none of those bass problems, and has the same setlist altho it also includes a cover of PF's In the Flesh?

Offline Cordez

I'd be curious to know what the source is of it. So many bootlegs of this show are not that great. Lords of Sound is probably the best known one, but the sound is slowed down and there's a part of LtL(?) that's missing. Best version of this show is "Beneath the Blackened Summer Sky".

This is what I found about Lilith Records on another forum:

"Okay, so I did a little digging and Doxy Records and Lilith Records are both European record labels that exploit public domain laws overseas to 're-issue' existing CDs. They don't have access to master tapes, so they simply copy the data from CDs and reprint them on CDs and on vinyl. Somehow, this is perfectly legal outside the US.."

Offline gm5k

Do you need Spotify Premium for these?   Appears that might be the case.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
I listened to them just fine with the free account.