Author Topic: Hardest Shows To Find Bootlegs For  (Read 17245 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Hardest Shows To Find Bootlegs For
« on: April 15, 2015, 11:44:24 PM »
Just like the title says.  I'm sure there are some dates out there that it's just impossible to track down a taper for.  Are there any specific dates that come to mind that you would love to hear in bootleg form?

Here is the list of shows so far.  I'll add to the list as we discover more. Hopefully I'll get to start crossing some off one day. 

1992-10-19 - New Orleans, LA
1993-01-07 - Poughkeepsie, NY
1993-04-12 - Bonn, Germany
1993-04-22 - Buckley, North Wales
1993-05-16 - Albany, NY
1995-02-20 - Stockholm, Sweden
1997-11-18 - Madison, WI
1998-05-13 - Chicago, IL
1998-06-19 - Kauhajoki, Finland
1998-08-08 - Mansfield, MA
2000-02-02 - Santa Ana, CA
2002-03-20 - Toronto, ON
2004-03-17 - St. Louis, MO
2004-03-22 - Detroit, MI
2004-08-21 - Worcester, MA
2004-09-01 - Ottawa, Ontario
2008-06-04 - San Juan, Puerto Rico
2012-07-19 - Huntington, Long Island, NY
2012-08-08 - Guatemala City, Guatemala
2012-08-10 - San Salvador, El Salvador
2012-08-12 - San Jose, Costa Rica
2012-08-15 - Bogota, Columbia
2012-08-17 - Cordoba, Argentina
2012-08-22 - Santiago, Chile
2012-08-24 - Porto Alegre, Brazil
2012-08-26 - Sao Paulo, Brazil
2012-08-29 - Belo Horizonte, Brazil
2012-08-30 - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
2012-09-01 - Brasilia, Brazil
2014-01-16 - Madrid, Spain
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:58:07 AM by Prog Snob »

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Hardest Shows To Find Bootlegs For
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 12:16:59 AM »
The show I have always wanted but am sure it does not exist is 3/20/2002 Toronto, ON, Chris Jericho joins the band on stage and sings on Pull Me Under.
Always hoped this would surface as a Ytse Jam release.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 12:26:09 AM »
I am familiar with that show of course but I definitely don't have that boot. 

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 02:03:11 AM »

Been searching for those for six years, and at least the second exists in some form of recording.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 02:19:18 AM »

Been searching for those for six years, and at least the second exists in some form of recording.

I am pretty sure 3/17/04 is the show where some guy fell from the balcony going for a drum head that MP threw into the crowd.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 06:58:07 AM »
08/21/2004 Worcester, MA. Met the guys after this show. Great show where they opened with Metropolis (which was rare, I think, on the ToT tour), played the warped version of PMU, a stand-alone improv jam, and most of Six Degrees throughout the night (5/8 tracks). I don't think it was taped because I've never seen it on anyone's list

I've also always wanted 8/8/98 from Mansfield, MA because it was my first show (even though its only a 6 song show...)
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 12:47:30 PM »
Besides the 3 shows from 2004 that have already been mentioned, here's some shows that I hope see the light of day:
1992/10/19 New Orleans - band ended the show early due to poor attendance
1993/01/07 Poughkeepsie - same setlist as 1993/01/02, which is different from what was played for the rest of this leg
1993/04/12 Bonn - there's a recording of just ACoS, and a video source (with worse sound) of the whole show - I'd like to get the better recording of the full show
1993/04/22 Buckley - like to find out what improv they played that night - MP didn't recall
1993/05/16 Albany - same setlist as 1993/05/15, which is also different from what was played for the rest of this leg
1995/02/20 Stockholm - problematic show that had an improv within the first 5 minutes of the show and other mishaps
1997/11/18 Madison - a great show I went to - would especially love the soundcheck at that show, where Derek played Randy Rhoad's unaccompanied guitar solo from the Randy Rhoads Tribute live album
1998/05/13 Chicago - great show I attended
1998/06/19 Finland - more for historical reasons, but in the hours following this show, MP "loses the plot" and quits the band
2000/02/02 Santa Ana - my first M2000 show, and one where they spontaneously broke into Paradigm Shift. I remember JR scrambling to load up the appropriate keyboard sounds when JP launched into it, and I remember JP and MP talking to each other, asking "how far do we go with performing this song?" It was supposed to be the first DT show I ever taped, but the mic jack popped out of the recorder, so I only got the first 5 minutes of the entire show.  :-(
2004/03/22 Detroit - for the spontaneous improv they did following Another Day
2008/06/04 San Juan - due to the crew breaking down all of the equipment during the last 2 parts of the medley until there was no drums or amps left on stage by the final chord!
2012/07/19 Huntington - for the changes to the setlist (TLF, Paradigm Shift and 21st Century Schizoid Man)
2012/08 - any of the shows from the South American leg of the tour - can't believe there's no complete recordings in circulation
2014/01/16 Spain - curious to hear how bad this show was with all the mishaps
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 01:43:29 PM »
That's some list Scotty.  I can't believe there are so many shows that we can't find tapers for while for other shows sometimes there are 3, 4, 5 sources.  I'm so angry that my friend Mark backed out of that deal with the DATs.  Do you remember that time at GDT, when I had that friend who had a box filled with uncirculated shows. He was supposed to send me the box so I could send them to Wey and he backed out.  I think we got maybe 2 or 3  shows from him but that was it. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 02:20:47 PM »
That's some list Scotty.  I can't believe there are so many shows that we can't find tapers for while for other shows sometimes there are 3, 4, 5 sources.

Well, it doesn't surprise me for some of the smaller cities. But for the larger cities, such as Toronto, NYC and others, I can't imagine that there's no recordings of those shows in existence. Not long ago, I was thinking about that - how many of those shows are sitting in someone's collection uncirculated, for whatever reason. I wish that those record shows (where people would sell imported CDs and vinyl, as well as bootlegs on vinyl, CD and cassette) were still a regular occurrence (I'm assuming they aren't any more) as they were great for meeting some guys who merely went to hundreds of shows to tape them, and then turn around and sell cassette copies of those shows to fans. While illegal, I didn't have too much of a problem with it, and without those guys, I'm sure plenty of the shows in circulation now would never have existed otherwise. I know the guy who taped the first 2 Milwaukee shows (October 92 and January 93) was such a person, and I bought copies of those shows from him. I also had an audience recording of the Summerfest gig (that's widely available as a radio broadcast), but that's been lost to the annals of time...

I'm so angry that my friend Mark backed out of that deal with the DATs.  Do you remember that time at GDT, when I had that friend who had a box filled with uncirculated shows. He was supposed to send me the box so I could send them to Wey and he backed out.  I think we got maybe 2 or 3  shows from him but that was it.
That sounds vaguely familiar. What was the reason why he backed out? Any chance you could talk to him and reason some more?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 04:14:24 PM »
That's some list Scotty.  I can't believe there are so many shows that we can't find tapers for while for other shows sometimes there are 3, 4, 5 sources.

Well, it doesn't surprise me for some of the smaller cities. But for the larger cities, such as Toronto, NYC and others, I can't imagine that there's no recordings of those shows in existence. Not long ago, I was thinking about that - how many of those shows are sitting in someone's collection uncirculated, for whatever reason. I wish that those record shows (where people would sell imported CDs and vinyl, as well as bootlegs on vinyl, CD and cassette) were still a regular occurrence (I'm assuming they aren't any more) as they were great for meeting some guys who merely went to hundreds of shows to tape them, and then turn around and sell cassette copies of those shows to fans. While illegal, I didn't have too much of a problem with it, and without those guys, I'm sure plenty of the shows in circulation now would never have existed otherwise. I know the guy who taped the first 2 Milwaukee shows (October 92 and January 93) was such a person, and I bought copies of those shows from him. I also had an audience recording of the Summerfest gig (that's widely available as a radio broadcast), but that's been lost to the annals of time...

I'm so angry that my friend Mark backed out of that deal with the DATs.  Do you remember that time at GDT, when I had that friend who had a box filled with uncirculated shows. He was supposed to send me the box so I could send them to Wey and he backed out.  I think we got maybe 2 or 3  shows from him but that was it.
That sounds vaguely familiar. What was the reason why he backed out? Any chance you could talk to him and reason some more?

It has been years since I spoke to him. His reason for the delay was just that he was busy.  So he finally decided he was going to head to the post office to mail them. He sent me the email saying he was leaving his house to go and I never heard from him after that.  I feel like that was pretty low to actually go so far as to say he was leaving his house to go mail them, meanwhile he was probably just sitting around doing nothing.  He had quite a bit too. I remember some were his own and he used to tape a lot of shows.  Then he had given me this list of shows from a friend of his. So we were looking at a good amount of new boots. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 11:00:49 PM »
It has been years since I spoke to him. His reason for the delay was just that he was busy.  So he finally decided he was going to head to the post office to mail them. He sent me the email saying he was leaving his house to go and I never heard from him after that.  I feel like that was pretty low to actually go so far as to say he was leaving his house to go mail them, meanwhile he was probably just sitting around doing nothing.  He had quite a bit too. I remember some were his own and he used to tape a lot of shows.  Then he had given me this list of shows from a friend of his. So we were looking at a good amount of new boots.
Strange - I take it that you tried to contact him after that happened and he never responded back? Any chance at trying to re-establish contact with him now and find out what happened? Maybe there was some sort of miscommunication?

What kind of shows did he have? I assume a bunch of DT? Which shows? What other bands did he tape?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 11:19:38 PM »
Strange - I take it that you tried to contact him after that happened and he never responded back? Any chance at trying to re-establish contact with him now and find out what happened? Maybe there was some sort of miscommunication?

What kind of shows did he have? I assume a bunch of DT? Which shows? What other bands did he tape?

I am pretty sure he is on Facebook now. He has some kind of side business photographing live bands. I can look him up and attempt to reestablish a connection. I tried messaging him a couple of times after the incident but he never responded. I just remembered that I saw him after it happened at a local show but it was loud so I didn't think it was the proper place to bring up the issue. He was there photographing his friend's band.

He had a lot of DT shows from the Images and Words days. I don't think too many after that though. He was into a lot of 80s hair bands and AOR music so he probably had some shows from bands in that genre, though I really only sought out the DT stuff he had. I'll try and reach out to him on Facebook.  I wonder if I still have that old email account active. If I do, I might have his email with the original list he sent out. Let me give it a try.

Offline de_fromage

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 01:00:37 PM »
I'm just a man with simple requests: The 2010 Mexico DVD, I was in the front rows (didn't like the show very much but you know, historic archives)

I was downloading it from the hub but suddenly it went down

Ringo is one of my top 5 Beatles.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 10:40:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've seen others with that. Join the Pink Floyd hub, otherwise known as Echoes.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 11:41:03 PM »
He had a lot of DT shows from the Images and Words days. I don't think too many after that though. He was into a lot of 80s hair bands and AOR music so he probably had some shows from bands in that genre, though I really only sought out the DT stuff he had. I'll try and reach out to him on Facebook.  I wonder if I still have that old email account active. If I do, I might have his email with the original list he sent out. Let me give it a try.
What area/country were the shows recorded? Northeastern states? And what were the shows that you already got from him that were released by GDT?

In any case, I hope you're able to re-establish contact - would be awesome to get his recordings out into circulation.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 11:49:14 PM »
What area/country were the shows recorded? Northeastern states? And what were the shows that you already got from him that were released by GDT?

In any case, I hope you're able to re-establish contact - would be awesome to get his recordings out into circulation.

I actually came across three of his shows yesterday while going through my GDT stuff, but I'm at work now and their titles slip my mind. I'll take a look when I get home.  Actually, give me a few minutes and I'll look on the GDT site. Most of his stuff was recorded in the northeast. I sent him a friend request. Lets see if he accepts.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 12:07:45 AM »
These are the shows I came across that he did.  What I didn't realize is how many shows you actually did for GDT.  Oh, question. I noticed GDT-R85 say it's no longer available. Any idea what show that is?  I'm guessing that became a Ytsejam Records boot or something. 

GDT-R76 Metropolis Surrounds Me 9/29/92 Philadelphia, PA
GDT-R79 IW @ WI 6/30/93 Green Bay, WI
GDT-R81 Marching in Time 11/7/93 Stuttgart, Germany
GDT-R84 Caught in the Rave 11/4/94 Green Bay, WI

I think the show from Germany he might have got in a trade...unless he actually went there. It wouldn't surprise me. I know he's traveled around to see shows before.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 12:42:13 AM »
These are the shows I came across that he did.  What I didn't realize is how many shows you actually did for GDT.
Yeah - for the 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2007 shows, I flew out to catch some additional shows, besides the SW corner of the US. Good times.

Oh, question. I noticed GDT-R85 say it's no longer available. Any idea what show that is?  I'm guessing that became a Ytsejam Records boot or something. 
Good question - I don't have a clue. Guess it would be best to ask the Wookie. But if you notice, while the artwork and individual web pages have been pulled for them, all the releases for Floater are still listed at the top of the release history. Not sure why the R85 show was singled out.

Interesting - is/was he based in SE Wisconsin or is it just coincidence that 2 of his shows are from that area (the Rave show is actually from Milwaukee - I know this cuz I was there!) Just curious since I am from Milwaukee originally.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 12:54:35 AM »
These are the shows I came across that he did.  What I didn't realize is how many shows you actually did for GDT.
Yeah - for the 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2007 shows, I flew out to catch some additional shows, besides the SW corner of the US. Good times.

Sounds like it was!   :smiley:

Oh, question. I noticed GDT-R85 say it's no longer available. Any idea what show that is?  I'm guessing that became a Ytsejam Records boot or something. 
Good question - I don't have a clue. Guess it would be best to ask the Wookie. But if you notice, while the artwork and individual web pages have been pulled for them, all the releases for Floater are still listed at the top of the release history. Not sure why the R85 show was singled out.

I'll shoot him a message.  I had just messaged him yesterday about some GDT stuff, too.

Interesting - is/was he based in SE Wisconsin or is it just coincidence that 2 of his shows are from that area (the Rave show is actually from Milwaukee - I know this cuz I was there!) Just curious since I am from Milwaukee originally.

He has lived in New Jersey since I've known him.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 04:33:46 AM by Prog Snob »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 04:43:27 AM »
I started a list of shows in the OP.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 07:57:36 AM »
2012.07.19 is not that rare! I had(ve) a DVD version of this, and fortuately I think at least a dozen people have it to this day, if not more!
- Marco

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 08:06:31 AM »
2012.07.19 is not that rare! I had(ve) a DVD version of this, and fortuately I think at least a dozen people have it to this day, if not more!

Isn't that the one that has the Blu-ray version of it that nobody can seem to get? 

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2015, 08:27:15 AM »
Do shows that definitely exist in some form, but you simply can't find count?

(Also, hello DTF!)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 08:35:35 AM by Robo4900 »
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2015, 08:49:13 AM »

Isn't that the one that has the Blu-ray version of it that nobody can seem to get?

The DVD version of the same show circulated, though, and upon inspecting, I still had it uploaded on the seedbox, so it's still very much available to me and to anyone willing to trade or to ask nicely enough :D

By the way, not sure if you know, the guy selling that BD was arrested for selling illegal DVDs  :lol
- Marco

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 09:09:11 AM »

The DVD version of the same show circulated, though, and upon inspecting, I still had it uploaded on the seedbox, so it's still very much available to me and to anyone willing to trade or to ask nicely enough :D

By the way, not sure if you know, the guy selling that BD was arrested for selling illegal DVDs  :lol

Yes, I remember hearing about that not too long after the show took place. 

So can i pleeeeeeeease download the show from youuuuuuu.  Pretty pleeeeeeeez.  :progsnob:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2015, 09:10:22 AM »
Do shows that definitely exist in some form, but you simply can't find count?

(Also, hello DTF!)

Well, you can name the show and at least a couple of us here will probably have it.   :lol     So, go ahead.   

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2015, 09:27:05 AM »
I'm just a man with simple requests: The 2010 Mexico DVD, I was in the front rows (didn't like the show very much but you know, historic archives)

https://boottrader.net/bootinfo.php?id=2236

Is this the gig in question?
I have this but would need to check the quality.

Offline de_fromage

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2015, 03:20:39 PM »

https://boottrader.net/bootinfo.php?id=2236

Is this the gig in question?
I have this but would need to check the quality.

That's the one  :o

Is there any way I could get it from you?

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it

Offline de_fromage

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2015, 03:24:22 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've seen others with that. Join the Pink Floyd hub, otherwise known as Echoes.

Thanks, I'll check it out
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 06:14:59 PM by de_fromage »

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2015, 05:05:20 PM »
Well, you can name the show and at least a couple of us here will probably have it.   :lol     So, go ahead.
Alright.  :)

2000-10-20 is the main one I'm looking for(Preferably video, but I don't really mind). Assuming I've got the date right, this should be the one with the legendary Canadian Rap, and some other craziness.
Probably not the least common show ever, but impossible to find for a beginner like me, since trading isn't really an option.

(I suppose 2005-10-29 is another one, but that's down to a lack of seeders)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 05:46:21 PM by Robo4900 »
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2015, 06:41:20 PM »
Alright.  :)

2000-10-20 is the main one I'm looking for(Preferably video, but I don't really mind). Assuming I've got the date right, this should be the one with the legendary Canadian Rap, and some other craziness.
Probably not the least common show ever, but impossible to find for a beginner like me, since trading isn't really an option.

(I suppose 2005-10-29 is another one, but that's down to a lack of seeders)

The show you are looking for is 10/18/2000, which features  the Canadian Rap and other goofiness going.  I do have that bootleg under the name Of Pigs And Chicks.

10/29/2005 is also in my list and probably one of the better bootlegs. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2015, 08:46:08 PM »

Yes, I remember hearing about that not too long after the show took place. 

So can i pleeeeeeeease download the show from youuuuuuu.  Pretty pleeeeeeeez.  :progsnob:
Me too - can I have it Marco? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzz?   :biggrin:

BTW (and this is directed to anyone in the know), for video boots that I've downloaded, what's the best method (on a Mac) for extracting the audio)? I'm not a video guy - I like to listen to shows as I'm doing other things, usually on a portable player.

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 12:44:11 AM »
The 2 I have been looking for and know exist are videos, the first;
2000-03-03 - House of Blues, Orlando,  DVD or flv. this was pro shot full show.
2000-04-11 - Roma. When the hub was up someone signed in and DLD a lot but had a very slow download speed. This was on his list and I began to download, then he signed off, never to return. Managed to get the first VOB file which had the soundcheck and beginning of the show. I have never seen this on any circulating list.
If anyone has these I will be happy to trade.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2015, 12:51:16 AM »
The 2 I have been looking for and know exist are videos, the first;
2000-03-03 - House of Blues, Orlando,  DVD or flv. this was pro shot full show.
2000-04-11 - Roma. When the hub was up someone signed in and DLD a lot but had a very slow download speed. This was on his list and I began to download, then he signed off, never to return. Managed to get the first VOB file which had the soundcheck and beginning of the show. I have never seen this on any circulating list.
If anyone has these I will be happy to trade.

There is someone who is in the Pink Floyd hub named Rory Gallagher.  He has a pretty decent size video collection.  Did you check his list?  If you aren't a member of the hub, I can check for you when I get home later. 

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2015, 01:25:32 AM »
I may have Roma 2000 on my oldest HD (not the one that was dropped), which may or may not still be fuctioning and may or may not be this side of the Thyrrenian sea. If you are talking audio, I don't think there ever was a video version of that.
- Marco