Author Topic: Prog rock questions  (Read 1623 times)

Offline npiazza91

Prog rock questions
« on: April 13, 2015, 11:29:26 PM »
I've always been a thrash metal listener.  I can name about 50 thrash bands that I enjoy listening to.  Dream Theater...I don't know how I found them.  But I love them to this day.  I thought for the longest time that prog was just a "one time thing" for me, because a lot of what I heard in the past I never got into.  I always preferred the "badass", crunching riffs and super fast ferocity of thrash metal.

Well, that all changed about a week ago.  I was playing Guitar Hero 5 (Drums) and 21st Century Schizoid Man came up.  I used to get annoyed by this song a few years ago (long story short I used to play GH religiously up until a few years ago, then I stopped.  I'm getting back into it now). For some reason, this song intrigued me this time.  I went on youtube and listened to more of their songs.  I cannot stop listening to King Crimson now.  I am definitely a fan.  20th Century Schizoid Man is amazing, as are other songs I've heard.

My guess is that DT (which I got into a few years ago) opened my eyes to a more "prog" sound, and I think I would appreciate some recommendations of prog bands to listen to.  What I like most about KC is that they combine the raw, dark, slightly metal-ish sound with pure jazz and other strange stuff.  They're like Rush's dark cousin.

Anyway, I'll take any and all recommendations.  I seem to like the darker side of prog, with more jazz elements to it.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Prog rock questions
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 02:04:19 AM »
How many progressive metal bands, other then Dream Theater, have you listened to? There's quite a lot of progressive bands that take elements from thrash metal, as well as from other subgenres of metal.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 02:21:36 AM »
If you're into thrash then Jon Arch era Fates Warning might be something that interests you. The album "The Spectre Within" has some early thrash elements. Jon's vocals do tend to turn some people off, but once you develop a taste for them you'll be hooked.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 05:44:48 AM »
Vektor.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 11:30:08 AM »
Steven Wilson's Grace for Drowning has a heavy KC influence. And if you like it, then The Raven that Refused to Sing is definitely proggier.

I don't like thrash-prog bands, but some praised ones are Voivod, Psychotic Waltz, and Watchtower. And Last Crack (check Burning Time).

Anyways, I'd really recommend you checking this amazing list. Most of the pre-I&W albums featured there sound more like "thrash with prog elements".

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 11:34:50 AM »
Vektor.

Direction, and magnitude!!

Sorry, I just had to  :P
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 11:39:54 AM »
Anyways, I'd really recommend you checking this amazing list. Most of the pre-I&W albums featured there sound more like "thrash with prog elements".

this is quite a good list, similar to 1 I have published in my blog, and 1 I am working on to be published hopefully soon in my blog.

Given the OP's love of King Crimson, I guess it's probably worth quoting 1 of their titles(and a personal favorite of mine btw)

108. Burst - Lazarus Bird
Relapse (2008)

Although we wouldn't call it progressive metal with the strict meaning of the word, “Lazarus Bird” is one of the most poignant, progressive albums of the 00's with great ease. Does it really matter that it didn't get promoted as well as it should have, does it matter that Burst disbanded after touring to support the album? With songs like “We Watched The Silver Rain”, they managed to demonstrate their King Crimson influences in a large spectrum of compositional perfection and left behind a timeless masterpiece, overlooked by the press, record labels and fans. Disregarding these, “Lazarus Bird” is the ultimate representation of modern progressive metal.

P.P.

here's the track mentioned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4whoZSUzEQ

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 09:01:56 PM »
Check into ELP . Their music is pretty dark, and they share the same vocalist (Greg Lake) that sang on the early King Crimson albums.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 09:11:17 AM »
Have you listened to any full KC albums yet? I'd say focus on that first before checking out a bunch of different bands, personally.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 09:33:59 AM »
Check out some ELP.  I mean, to me, that's just a natural leap.  Though King Crimson is a far better band in my opinion, you would still enjoy ELP.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 09:48:37 AM »
Check out some ELP.  I mean, to me, that's just a natural leap.  Though King Crimson is a far better band in my opinion, you would still enjoy ELP.

I've got most of the discography for both ELP and King Crimson, and while KC has put out some incredible stuff, I find myself enjoying the ELP discs much more often.  Just a more accessible band, I guess. 
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 09:51:49 AM »

I've got most of the discography for both ELP and King Crimson, and while KC has put out some incredible stuff, I find myself enjoying the ELP discs much more often.  Just a more accessible band, I guess.

I don't disagree with that.  KC are definitely more of an acquired taste and do more experimenting with their music. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 10:48:21 AM »
maybe the OP enjoys Greg Lake?

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 12:16:24 AM »

I don't disagree with that.  KC are definitely more of an acquired taste and do more experimenting with their music.

It's the experimenting that I love more.  I don't want to listen to a song that is 3:30 and only has 3 riffs in it.  I want to hear 8:00+ songs with changing time signatures and all sorts of instruments.  The songs that I can listen to 100 times and still find new things to appreciate.  It's one of the reasons I love DT so much. 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 01:56:13 AM »
Perhaps you'll find (old) Genesis amusing as well.

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 09:29:41 AM »
Symphony X's last two albums

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 10:23:16 AM »
David Maxim Micic - Bilo 3.0 is what you're looking for ;) .

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 01:17:02 PM »
I think you'll enjoy IQ.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 05:34:07 PM »

It's the experimenting that I love more.  I don't want to listen to a song that is 3:30 and only has 3 riffs in it.  I want to hear 8:00+ songs with changing time signatures and all sorts of instruments.  The songs that I can listen to 100 times and still find new things to appreciate.  It's one of the reasons I love DT so much.

Well, if you do want a song that is only 3:30 but STILL has changing time signatures and all sorts of instruments and plenty of riffs and experimentation, might I suggest Gentle Giant. 
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 06:03:40 PM »
You can't really go wrong with Mastodon. They're a modern prog metal band who's music is in the spirit of the classic prog rock bands.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 09:49:53 AM »

NO NO NO NO!

I don't think that is what he is looking for.  But if you want to go the SyX route, the last two albums are NOT the place to start, as they are the most straight up metal and least experimental albums of theirs.  Reading threads = good.

To hit on something you said about Jazz in the OP, check out Trioscapes.  It' more jazz than prog, but it would certainly fill that experimental/complex desire.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 09:56:26 AM »
Check out Beardfish.  I would start with Sleeping in Traffic 1 and 2.  These guys are all over the board.  They are not afraid to try different things with their music.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 11:08:23 AM »
Check out A.C.T. They have a weird blend of different styles, but weird in a good way.  I've been listening to them for years.  Start off with Imaginary Friends or Last Epic.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2015, 12:22:53 PM »

NO NO NO NO!

I don't think that is what he is looking for.  But if you want to go the SyX route, the last two albums are NOT the place to start, as they are the most straight up metal and least experimental albums of theirs.  Reading threads = good.

To hit on something you said about Jazz in the OP, check out Trioscapes.  It' more jazz than prog, but it would certainly fill that experimental/complex desire.

Disagree, Iconoclast and Paradise Lost are both great albums. The song" When all is Lost" off of Iconoclast is epic and has everything symphony x is all about. Worth the price of the cd alone..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2015, 02:55:01 PM »

Disagree, Iconoclast and Paradise Lost are both great albums. The song" When all is Lost" off of Iconoclast is epic and has everything symphony x is all about. Worth the price of the cd alone..

This is where reading the original post and follow up replies helps.  He said he was looking for more proggy stuff, and not metal stuff, thus the King Crimson and Emerson Lake, & Palmer recommendations.

Offline took_the_time11

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »
Rush is important! They are so good. You would probably like Opeth. Animals As Leaders is another very good one.
I know the Aries Code & I enjoy the right to date.