Author Topic: Live at Luna Park DVD  (Read 2629 times)

Offline Illethal

Live at Luna Park DVD
« on: April 08, 2015, 07:54:47 PM »
So my first live DT experience was the Live at Luna Park DVD set. However reading around, it seems to get a lot of hate.

I kinda want to know why everyone seems to hate it, as I really enjoy it. I find the audio quality to be very good, the whole band sounds great. But I've heard various quibbles about audio quality, and the random clips inserted in some of the songs.

Maybe its just because I haven't seen some of the other productions, but I kinda feel this DVD set gets a lot of flak and I kinda want to know why. And maybe i'm wrong on the general consensus, but I feel like all i've read is negative.

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Live at Luna Park DVD
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 08:50:21 PM »
There is a topic about this a while back so maybe you can just read that.  We discussed it to death. 

General consensus is that the sound wasn't great.  Keyboards are way too low and drums are too low also.  But after not listening to it for a long time, I went back and was shocked at how not bad it was.  Yeah I stand by my thoughts about keyboards and drums but it is pretty easy to overlook and enjoy it.  Set list is awesome and the band is on fire!

Offline 425

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 09:01:33 PM »
It's a pretty good show, but yeah, the production could have been better. The guitar was mixed a bit too much to the fore. However, on the whole, I wouldn't dissuade anyone from getting it. It's a pretty good setlist and very good band performance, notably by JLB.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 09:25:02 PM »
I thought, on paper, the DVD looked to be good.  A good set, highlighting ADTOE and bring the usual touring staples like The Spirit Carries On and it's taking place in South America where I hear the crowds are always passionate when it comes live concerts so the crowd energy should be great.

That said, the band played fine, the acoustic part was fine.  No noticeable botches or anything coming from them.  My only concern was pretty much the lack of crowd noise that I thought would be a guarantee sure thing, but it did not happen in Luna Park.  Thankfully, I heard a good amount of crowd noise at the right time in Breaking the Fourth Wall which gave me the pleasure to say that was the Dream Theater Concert DVD that I was looking for out of the whole bunch.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 09:25:38 PM »
As has been said, the guitars are too loud, and the keys are too low, but it's not that bad at all. The drums also sound a bit weak and raw, but again, not too bad. I found the sound on the bonus songs to be all over the place though, so that was a bit disappointing.

It's not one of DT's better DVDs, but it's a solid release.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 10:28:09 PM »
My only problem with it is that it doesn't really feel like a live DVD. The crowd is barely audible, they might as well not even be there. The awesome setlist just about makes up for that though.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 11:20:48 PM »
Gave it a lot of spins soon after it came out because it's easily the best JLB performance post-accident, but didn't age well because of how weak the overall sound (esp. drums) is. This was especially evident in contrast to the great BTFW drums. Unfortunately, the BTFW performance isn't as good as the LALP one. So your preference of the two is going to come down to whether you care more about the performance (great vs. solid) or sound (weak vs. good).
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 06:54:03 AM »
Maybe its just because I haven't seen some of the other productions
Bingo.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 07:06:43 AM »
The crowd is barely audible, they might as well not even be there.
And let's not forget that what audience we hear is looping with the same guy whistling over and over, which makes it feel that much more artificial.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 07:13:12 AM »
Bingo.

Watch Live at Budokon and you'll understand.

Offline Illethal

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 07:25:07 AM »
Thanks guys,

I searched around for a topic, but could only find people discussing the Theater release of the DVD (or maybe I just don't know how to use the search function well enough yet lol), and the Index on the forum doesn't mention it either.

I will admit though, the sound in the standard Dolby Stereo mix sounds like crap (don't know why it defaults to that). If I switch it to the DTS mix, I found it sounds so much better than the other two.

As for the crowd noise, yeah it definitely seems kinda low. However I don't think it helps that it looked like the crowd was sitting on their hands during some of the songs (like they didn't know the songs, which could be true if it was filmed after ADTOE's release)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 07:36:03 AM »
Bingo.

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 07:38:31 AM »
Try Budokan or Breaking the fourth Wall, you'll see why Luna Park is regarded as inferior.

Also, it was announced very early with a trailer that led people to believe that the disc was almost finished. The actual release happened very late (even after DT12).
When asked about the release date, the band members and Roadrunner Records responded with marketing talk about how special extra care is being put into the project and the fans will understand how special it is when they watch it. The final product will be worth the wait.
When the wait was over, the disc turned out to be way below par and people wondered what went wrong.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 08:14:39 AM »
Try Budokan or Breaking the fourth Wall, you'll see why Luna Park is regarded as inferior.

Also, it was announced very early with a trailer that led people to believe that the disc was almost finished. The actual release happened very late (even after DT12).
When asked about the release date, the band members and Roadrunner Records responded with marketing talk about how special extra care is being put into the project and the fans will understand how special it is when they watch it. The final product will be worth the wait.
When the wait was over, the disc turned out to be way below par and people wondered what went wrong.
Wasn't the theater release of it the major factor in the delay?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 08:20:00 AM »

No.  That would have been incidental to the DVD release, and has never been given as a reason for any delay.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 09:55:28 AM »
The crowd is barely audible, they might as well not even be there.
And let's not forget that what audience we hear is looping with the same guy whistling over and over, which makes it feel that much more artificial.

This is the most aggravating thing about the whole package. I think the performance is fantastic, the sound is fine to my ears, but I hardly ever go back to this release because I can't stand hearing the same whistle every 9 seconds. It makes me want to punch bananas in the face.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 09:56:25 AM »

No.  That would have been incidental to the DVD release, and has never been given as a reason for any delay.

They have never given a specific reason for the delay but I think it is safe to assume the theatrical release was a major part of it.  They wanted to wait until it was in the theatres.  They also wanted to wait until the announcement of the theatrical release to say anything about why the dvd was taking so long.  Makes sense to me. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 10:16:43 AM »
I don't know.  The show was recorded in August 2012, and a trailer for the DVD was posted in February 2013.  The DVD wasn't actually released until November.  The theater release was, if memory serves, in September, so if it was ready enough to make a trailer in February, I have trouble believing that the theatrical release was the cause of the delay from February to November.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 10:25:27 AM »
Whatever it was, it was not the band simply deciding to wait.  I know they were frustrated by the delay as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 11:59:39 AM »
Maybe why they didn't go with Over The Edge for Breaking the Fourth Wall
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 03:17:37 PM »

My thoughts too but as with producers, bands usually will stick with a producer through two cycles (drummer doc, LaLP) and then switch things up.  Who knows...maybe they did fuck up pretty bad. 

Offline Grizz

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 07:32:07 PM »
They should go back to Rhino (or whomever did the production itself). Score's issues fall almost entirely on the orchestra and the limitations of H.262/DVD as a medium, but the audio is amazing on it.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline faizoff

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 10:30:46 PM »

Thanks to Over The Edge for the facts.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan