Author Topic: Eric Disrude (DT Drum Tech) tries to shake down the band for $$$$$  (Read 15614 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Eric Disrude (DT Drum Tech) tries to shake down the band for $$$$$
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2015, 10:29:00 PM »
Side note: talk about 2 completely different personalities - Jose is a world class jerk to the fans, where as Eric has always been very cool. When I found out that MP had Jose out with him again, I was bummed.

I remember hearing that about Jose from a few different people who met him and were trying to be friendly with the guy. He basically brushed them off with an attitude.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2015, 04:23:39 PM »
I think MP's current drum tech Jose was also his drum tech before Eric Disrude.  I don't know if Eric stayed on because he got more money or if Mike just decided to bring Jose back anyway but you're right, it is interesting. 
If memory serves me correctly, MP had Eric as his tech beginning in 2004, and this was because Jose was unavailable (or wasn't teching at that time). As you mentioned, techs do work with other bands, which is what Eric did, and was unavailable when MP needed him in 2009. By this time Jose was available and so got his old gig back again, and has since been MP's tech for most, if not all, of his gigs.

As for how Eric started teching for MM, I haven't a clue, but it could've just been a matter of calling him up since the band no doubt had his number and was already familiar with his abilities/attitude in teching for MP.

Side note: talk about 2 completely different personalities - Jose is a world class jerk to the fans, where as Eric has always been very cool. When I found out that MP had Jose out with him again, I was bummed.

Whoa...crazy.  Care to elaborate?  Obviously you don't need to give too many details but I honestly don't even know how a drumtech could be in a position to be cool or a jerk to fans.

I feel bad for saying this, but I think it's mentioned in Lifting Shadows, didn't Jose also kind of enable MP's drug habits back during the Scenes tour? I seem to remember reading that. Like Jose would prepare the lines of cocaine for MP during a song. I may have misread something.

I don't know if I would call that "enabling."  Your boss tells you to do something, you do it.  I doubt Jose was like, "C'mon Mike, one more line won't hurt ya!"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2015, 10:25:23 PM »
Whoa...crazy.  Care to elaborate?  Obviously you don't need to give too many details but I honestly don't even know how a drumtech could be in a position to be cool or a jerk to fans.
I think what Snob said sums it up fairly accurately - whenever the fans would try to engage him in conversation, he would always blow them off. This happened to me several times, even if I happen to be at a soundcheck or something else where it was evident that I had a connection to the band. Didn't matter. Now if MP had introduced him to me, perhaps the situation might have been different, but he's always struck me as a jerk, and hearing that other fans have had the same experience is all the verification I need of my opinion of him. Eric OTOH was always kind - maybe didn't always have time to chat, but was pleasant and never gave you the impression that he thought you were scum like Jose did.

Interestingly enough, in chatting with another crew member I've gotten to know over the years, he told me a couple stories about Jose, such as one where his psycho wife was at several shows (maybe even on the road with the band) and was causing all sorts of problems that Jose was told either to send her home or else he himself would get fired. (He sent her home). Granted, that's not him personally, but I still found it to be an interesting story that fills in a few blanks about who he is.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2015, 10:55:11 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2015, 06:44:13 AM »
Psycho wife coming along on tour is very Spinal Tap :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.