Author Topic: Luther  (Read 3420 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Luther
« on: April 05, 2015, 07:07:22 AM »
Just finished BBC's Luther starring Idris Elba, and wanted to talk about it. Great stuff, although I feel that neither season 2 or 3 quite lived up to the first season. But maybe that's because I am head over heels in love with Alice Morgan and she's barely in the other seasons (even though she was glorious in the season 3 finale).

Season 4 is currently in production and is coming out later this year. Exciting stuff!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Luther
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 08:41:20 AM »
Such an awesome show. I think all 3 seasons have been pretty equally great. The third season definitely did some new stuff visually that I thought was pretty great. That opening episode had some nightmare-inducing moments!

Looking forward to the 4th season, though it's even shorter, only 2 episodes I think!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 10:10:50 AM »
I finished this show last year. What an amazing show. The cast is amazing and Idris Elba might be my favorite actor.

Are they really doing season 4? I thought they were making a movie, but that's awesome!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 10:13:48 AM »
Looking forward to the 4th season, though it's even shorter, only 2 episodes I think!

Yeah that's what I've heard as well. Sounds like they're really focusing on quality over quatity there, which is great. Not at all saying that the previous stuff haven't had quality though, it's just what I thought when I heard the 'only 2 episodes' thing.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 10:15:14 AM »
I love this show. The last two episodes of Season 2 are some of the greatest television ever.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 11:26:54 AM »
Fantastic show.  I watched the first 3 seasons about a year or so ago.  Definitely stoked about the upcoming episodes.

Idris Elba is awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 03:01:46 PM »
Are they really doing season 4? I thought they were making a movie, but that's awesome!
I think it started out that way, but Luther generally has 2-episode stories, so I think they just decided to do a mini mini series instead.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 03:03:20 PM »
I think it started out that way, but Luther generally has 2-episode stories, so I think they just decided to do a mini mini series instead.

Well that definitely works! I'm excited.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 01:48:10 PM »
New Luther coming december 17th!

Two episodes, broadcast back to back, apparently taking three hours total.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 02:48:25 PM »
Luther is fucking awesome; I cannot wait for this.

Offline krands85

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 02:52:16 PM »
Nice, didn't even realise they were making new episodes. I don't really watch much UK drama - I much prefer US stuff - but I love Luther.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 08:16:43 AM »
New Luther coming december 17th!

Two episodes, broadcast back to back, apparently taking three hours total.
Wow, holy shit!  That's great news!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 08:05:55 PM »
At some point I read (I think) the main creator wanting to do a spin-off based on Ruth Wilson's character, I really hope that one comes to fruition sometime in the future.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 08:49:40 AM »
Anybody else watch Season 4 yet? In America, they played both episodes together last night. I'm not sure what to think honestly. It felt kind of weird and unnecessary in a way. I absolutely loved the first 3 seasons and I'm a big fan of the ending for season 3. I know the intention was to close it out there because a 4th season wasn't originally planned, so they had to come up with something. I thought Idris Elba did a fantastic job of course but I just wish they had at least made it a 4 episode season. There were a few plots being introduced and I thought it felt kinda jumbled, and the villain didn't excite me like previous ones. All in all, it was okay, but it really didn't give me a sense of closure the first 3 seasons did.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 09:59:59 AM »
I haven't had the chance yet.  Hopefully tomorrow.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 03:25:15 AM »
Only seen the first episode, but I think it's great so far. Looks like I won't be able to see episode 2 until wednesday next week though.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 03:19:00 PM »
Finished it just now, and the second episode was much better than the first and had some great moments.

But something about the ending I don't quite understand, or perhaps I just don't want to. Is Alice dead? Like, for real? That would be a pretty anti-climactic death of one of my favorite TV characters ever. Waaaay off screen and for a pretty weird reason. That'd be pretty disappointing. But the rest of the episodes was all great.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »
Mrs. P and I started this series last night and got through the first two episodes. I'm not sure what I was expecting but the super-creepy-woman-with-the-giant-upper-lip romance/hate wasn't it.  :lol

I can't wait to watch more!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 11:37:24 AM »
Finished it just now, and the second episode was much better than the first and had some great moments.

But something about the ending I don't quite understand, or perhaps I just don't want to. Is Alice dead? Like, for real? That would be a pretty anti-climactic death of one of my favorite TV characters ever. Waaaay off screen and for a pretty weird reason. That'd be pretty disappointing. But the rest of the episodes was all great.
Yeah I thought it was a solid mini-series, but the end was kind of unfinished I thought. Much more so than season 3's ending.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2016, 06:08:11 AM »
Watched this yesterday. Fantastic.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 04:40:07 PM »
Luther may be too intense for us.  :blush We finished up S2.E3 last night and Mrs. P said, wearily, "Turn it off, turn it off, I can't take it anymore."

To cleanse the palate and aid in helping her sleep, we watched the season opener for Galavant. The silliness helped dampen our feelings of dread.

I'm sure I'll finish up the series (I just have to find out what happens), but I think the show may have lost Mrs. P for good.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 08:39:36 AM »
Have her watch something less depressing.  Like The Road.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 02:33:28 PM »
The Road :lol uplifting film for sure

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 05:50:12 PM »
The Road was great. I was unsure whether I wanted to murder myself afterwards or not, but it was still great.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 12:48:21 PM »
We watched a few more episodes. Once we got past the twins playing their deadly game the show got a whole lot less intense.

I hate DS Gray with a passion beyond reason!  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 12:59:16 PM »
Once we got past the twins playing their deadly game the show got a whole lot less intense.
That's what you think. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2016, 06:15:03 PM »
Oh, no.

:dangerwillrobinson:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 08:42:49 AM »
Once we got past the twins playing their deadly game the show got a whole lot less intense.
That's what you think. :lol
lol

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 03:45:44 PM »
I thought Season 2 was the show at its best. Loved Season 3 too, and Season 1 was a great start. Still to this day my favorite episode might be Episode 5 of Season 1.

I'll watch Season 4 again one day but it wasn't really all that interesting in my opinion.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2016, 01:08:49 AM »
Season 1 is probably my favorites.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2016, 02:53:43 AM »
Seasons 1 to 3 are all great for slightly different reasons. Season 4 was strong, but feels unfinished. Really does feel like only half a season. Assuming they carry it on (which they sort of have to after finishing with that "I'm coming for you" stuff) then it might be easier to judge the seasons 4 and 5 mini series jointly.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2016, 09:30:38 AM »
Seasons 1 to 3 are all great for slightly different reasons. Season 4 was strong, but feels unfinished. Really does feel like only half a season. Assuming they carry it on (which they sort of have to after finishing with that "I'm coming for you" stuff) then it might be easier to judge the seasons 4 and 5 mini series jointly.

That's what irks me about 4. It feels very unfinished, and I guess I'm just not a fan of not having closure. Do they have plans to make a 5th season? As far as I know, I thought they were making a film but they decided to go and do a 2 episode season 4 instead.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2016, 11:39:45 PM »
I hadn't heard they were doing another season for sure. Idris says he's not finished by any stretch, but his career is exploding. There's talk still of a possible film. I love this show. Intense as Hell. Will be very bummed if Alice is really dead, but I mean, you couldn't have him run off with her really, you know?
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2016, 02:00:36 AM »
Or at least, if they had to kill her, have it happen on screen, or in a way that at least isn't really anti-climactic.

For now, for the sake of my own happiness, I will just go on believing that Alice is still alive. Despite being one of my favorite TV characters, I have no real problem with her dying. I just have a problem with it if it happens like this.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2016, 09:58:34 AM »
Exactly. I hate off-screen deaths. I understand the use for them at times, but not for a major character in a show. They just kind of brush her off like "Eh."

I know in the world of Luther, happy endings only seem to be followed by more chaos, but I just loved the ending to 3, I guess that's why I'm bitter.  :lol