Author Topic: water  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: CA Gov Jerry Brown issues first ever mandatory water restrictions
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2015, 06:52:57 PM »
No they didn't. They were just pushing their stupid liberal agenda in an attempt to gain power and control the masses.

You're funny.  Except you're not, because de facto, that IS what was happening at least to a lesser degree, much like the even more polarizing environmental issue related to this (not going to say it out loud).   Like many social issues where each side has their agenda, it has become impossible to discuss the basic facts without being tied (rightly or wrongly) to an agenda.

You might like to check this out.

I am absolutely fascinated by this social phenomenon.  The article does a good job of explaining why Republicans won't admit that water is wet until they're drowning.

Very familiar with that area of study.  I've referenced it here and in other places many times.  It is especially interesting as it opens a lot of other questions:  one would presume that much of the vilification and hatred of the Republican party would have to end, because after all, they're born that way, no?   It's presumptively wrong to call a homosexual a perjorative because of the way they are born, so the same courtesy would have to extend to Republicans.  That's a conversation I relish hearing.  :)

But seriously, the science is the science, and it is valid and necessary.   What isn't is any presumptive conclusions on whether being born one way is better than being born another.  It is not irrelevant that the article you cited (as well as the main article cited in THAT) were written from the liberal viewpoint, and based on the assumption that "deviant" behavior had to be explained.   One could arguably write the exact same article from the reverse perspective, explaining "deviant" (i.e. liberal) behavior. 

In any event, it just reinforces my point, that to use two words to describe the entire 315 million people in the United States is reckless and in some cases, probably even negligent.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2015, 06:18:40 AM »
No they didn't. They were just pushing their stupid liberal agenda in an attempt to gain power and control the masses.

You're funny.  Except you're not, because de facto, that IS what was happening at least to a lesser degree, much like the even more polarizing environmental issue related to this (not going to say it out loud).   Like many social issues where each side has their agenda, it has become impossible to discuss the basic facts without being tied (rightly or wrongly) to an agenda.

I am absolutely fascinated by this social phenomenon.  The article does a good job of explaining why Republicans won't admit that water is wet until they're drowning.

It's presumptively wrong to call a homosexual a perjorative because of the way they are born, so the same courtesy would have to extend to Republicans.  That's a conversation I relish hearing.  :)

Are you saying having a gene in your DNA is equivalent to the political party one chooses to adhere to?

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2015, 08:17:05 AM »
There actually is evidence that suggests brain structure might play a role in political affiliation. The amigdalae of conservatives tend to be quite a bit larger, and this is related to aggression and fear. According to wikiP, liberals possess more mass in their anterior cingulate cortex, relating to one's ability to process conflicting emotions. While there's no causal link here, I think plenty of us can relate to those descriptions with regards to our ideologies.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2015, 11:02:08 AM »
Age relates to brain development, as it seems to progress well into the thirties. Morevoer, lot in life merely alters the data that you're feeding into it. In any event I suspect most people can recognize general trends towards some people rationalizing conflicting issues and points of views and others condensing things down to simple levels and how that relates to ideology.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2015, 12:18:55 PM »

It's presumptively wrong to call a homosexual a perjorative because of the way they are born, so the same courtesy would have to extend to Republicans.  That's a conversation I relish hearing.  :)

Are you saying having a gene in your DNA is equivalent to the political party one chooses to adhere to?

I'm not saying that at all.

There is no "gay gene" per se, it is the sum total of several genetic factors, and there is likely SOME nuture involved (meaning, nature puts you on a very limited spectrum of the sexual continuum, and nuture can help refine your orientation within that spectrum), but we've basically accepted that homosexuality is an innate characteristic and not a "choice" as some (REPUBLICANS!  CHRISTIANS!, he says, saving others the work of gross stereotyping) might think.   

"Political party" is too general a term, and too loosely defined to say "political party is genetic".   For example (and keeping with the theme) I know of one gentleman in Philadelphia that is, in almost all respects, "republican", but is registered Democrat because he is gay and for him, that is his defining issue.  But certainly, the research is strong that the sum total of the genetic make-up of a given person puts them within a specific spectrum of political ideology, and nature (here, context and environment) further narrows the selection. 

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2016, 08:02:28 AM »
It has been a strange winter.  We have gotten a lot of water.  But it has also very quickly gone from really cold to really warm, and back again several times.  That means that the snow pack is not staying up at the high altitudes quite as long.  So the water "crisis" (I hate to use that word) is not over by a longshot, despite how much water is flowing through our rivers right now.  I don't remember the last time I have seen Folsom Dam with all its spillways open at 100% 24 hours a day like it is now.  But despite that, I believe it will likely be lower than "normal" by mid to late summer. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."