Author Topic: MikeMangioy's top 50 albums v.2: v.2 - v. The top ten  (Read 46635 times)

Offline jakepriest

I haven't listened to a lot of Rush, but this is my favourite album from the 5 I've listened to.  :tup

Offline Tomislav95

My favorite Rush album, maybe tied with 2112 and Grace.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline 425

My second Rush album after Moving Pictures. I don't think it gets enough praise, sandwiched as it is between Hemispheres and Moving Pictures. The Spirit of Radio, Freewill, Jacob's Ladder and Natural Science are all absolutely stellar, and the requisite Rush "rocker track that isn't as good as the others" and ballad are well above average for those types of songs. In my mind, this album and Moving Pictures were where they struck the perfect balance.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I've never gotten into Rush, but I guess I should give them another chance soon.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
classic Rush album

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.

#34: Destiny Potato - Lun
Progressive Pop Metal, 2014

What we have here is some of the most interesting material of the last decade: Destiny Potato.
This serbian band, featuring one of the genius of the latest generation, David Maxim Micic (which serves as main composer, producer and guitarist for the band), unites Progressive Metal, specifically the djenty kind, with pop hooks and vocals provided by Aleksandra Djelmash, an amazing vocalist, that can get on the harsh side of things too. Yeah, she does harsh vocals in a couple of tracks and it's pretty awesome.

The whole album revolves around this idea, and everysong is as heavy and groovy but also enjoyable - the hybrid is so perfect that I think that if you want to, let's say, "convert" a mainstream guy towards the more heavy stuff, this is one of the albums to go to.
While songs like Indifferent, Blue Sun and Love Song stay more towards the "pop" side, and songs such as the epic closer, Addict (truly a masterpiece if you ask me), Take A Picture are heavier, there are also some tracks where the balance within the two ends is perfect:
Lost Dream, with its Icarus Lives-esque djenty riffing, and U.Y.M., which is full of electronics.
Good god, the electronics in this album are used awesomely, especially the glitches. I love 'em, and if you use them good they can add a ton to the music spectrum and experience - for instance, in the song U.Y.M. (which stands for Use Your Mind, btw) there's a beautiful melodic build-up that is suddently interrupted by this glitch, and then the song jumps into the heavy chorus, and the glitch is capable of making the chorus even heavier, in a sense.

But enough of my rambling, if you wanna have fun but headbang at the same time while singing pop lyrics, this is where to go to.
Also, you should check out Lunatic, if you wanna have a real good time.

Recommended songs: Take A Picture  Love Song  Lunatic  Blue Sun  U.Y.M.  Addict
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Good stuff. David Maxim Micic has yet to disappoint. :metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Good stuff. David Maxim Micic has yet to disappoint. :metal
Fucking this! Glad you've enjoyed this album as much as me - it'd also make my top 50  :tup

Offline mikemangioy

#33: Iron Maiden - Flight 666
Heavy Metal, 2009

Yeah, I know, this is a bit cheating, but Iron Maiden are a band that have so many songs from all over their catalogue that I enjoy so much, and I was struggling to decide one album (as I didn't feel that multiple would be fair, I'm not that big of a fan) - so I decided to screw everybody, and put Flight 666.

Flight 666 is a concert-documentary, first of all. It narrates the Somewhere Back In Time tour, from 2008, the first tour in which they used just one airplane to fly all over the world, the Ed Force One. This allowed (and still allows) the band to have some freaky tour schedule, when they'd be playing in India and then in the US, two days later, and then maybe in South Africa few hours later.

The songs are taken from all over the tour, one from each date of the first leg: we have India, Australia, Japan, Mexico, US, Canada and South America.
All the songs are Maiden classics. Yeah, every track is a Maiden classic. But they're also some of my favorite tracks of course.
Given that Maiden are an amazing live band, there you have it, I sure enjoy this live album a lot, and it's up there with my favorite live stuff.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:31:19 AM by mikemangioy »

Offline Anguyen92

Re: MikeMangioy's top 50 albums v.2: v.2-v.What not to do if a bird shits on you
« Reply #289 on: September 03, 2015, 01:20:41 AM »
Yep, this was pretty much the 1st thing, Maiden-related, that I really invested myself into watching and this probably turned me into a fan of them.  The documentary was solid and depicts them as really good people and their fans (including a priest in Brazil, I think, that calls himself Father Iron Maiden has so many Maiden-related tattoos) as really passionate fans from all parts of the world.

The setlist is strong indeed with all the big Iron Maiden classics of the 80s including, one of my faves, Hallowed Be Thy name, and stuff like Rime of the Ancient Mariner.  A top notch release indeed that shows that Iron Maiden can still play pretty damn well of these big songs from all fronts and have a strong fanbase to support them after all of these years.

Only 1.5 days left until that new album is out and I can go buy it and listen to it.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: MikeMangioy's top 50 albums v.2: v.2-v.What not to do if a bird shits on you
« Reply #290 on: September 03, 2015, 02:28:15 AM »
I was expecting Live After Death here. never heard this one.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #291 on: September 03, 2015, 03:12:57 AM »
That documentary is awesome. One of the funniest moments is right after a gig somewhere in India or Bangkok or something. The band gets rushed straight offstage, into some dingy ol van bus and is rushed back to the hotel. Rod Smallwood (manager) grabs a plastic bag from under one of the van seats and starts handing out cans of beer to all the bandmembers, who, led by Bruce, immediately start complaining about the fact that there's only one beer for each member in there. 'What, we can fly all around the flippin' world and play all over the sodding place, but we can't even pay for more than one beer?! That's terrible, that is!'   :lol
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #292 on: September 03, 2015, 02:59:07 PM »
Yes that's great.

So is this guy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4JDmzMvEy8
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #293 on: September 03, 2015, 04:33:47 PM »
I was expecting Live After Death here.

Seconded, though I can see how someone would prefer F666 to that.  F666 is a lot more polished than it's 80s predecessor: as classic and iconic as it is, LAD is not without its flaws (mainly from Bruce's voice; absolutely rooted from the crazy tour schedule).

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #294 on: September 03, 2015, 09:04:45 PM »
mikemangioy, was that supposed to be #33?  You have two at #34 now.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #295 on: September 05, 2015, 06:53:49 AM »
mikemangioy, was that supposed to be #33?  You have two at #34 now.

Yeah, got confused there for a sec. Fixed.

#32: Symphony X - The Odyssey
Progressive/Power/Neoclassical Metal, 2004

If cheese is what you want, then look no further: Symphony X unite the most pretentious and cheesy metal genres ever in history, but they do so in a superb way, and they are for sure one of the most fun bands to listen to, and that makes me rock out, every friggin' time.

The Odyssey, especially. This album is filled with heavy and clever riffs, catchy hooks, epic atmospheres and just outright ballsiness. It's truly what I'd call a "musculed" album. From track one, the fury that is "Inferno", all the way to the last epic 24-minute magnum opus "The Odyssey" (an epic about an epic story? I'm sold), the album offers a lot. The groove of Wicked and King Of Terrors, the soaring melodies of Accolade II (sequel of The Acoolade, from Divine Wings Of Tragedy) and Awakenings, the incredibly fast-paced The Turning - this truly is a memorable album, but it took me awhile to really grasp its potential.

I guarantee a fun and quick listen, one that will surely leave a smile on your face and make you go "Fuck yeah" at least a dozen times.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: MikeMangioy's top 50 albums v.2: v.2-v. Home, I'm dreaming of home (#32)
« Reply #296 on: September 05, 2015, 09:27:27 AM »
 :corn

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #297 on: September 06, 2015, 11:13:12 AM »
I must be the only one who really dislikes Symphony X on this forum.

Offline 425

« Reply #298 on: September 06, 2015, 11:28:41 AM »
I like this one. I don't full-out love it, because it's a bit heavier than what I typically prefer, but the title track is really good, and the rest is pretty good. So I like it.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #299 on: September 06, 2015, 11:40:35 AM »

I don't really dislike them, I just dislike them.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: September 06, 2015, 12:35:59 PM »

I don't really dislike them, I just dislike them.
This. Can't deal with the cheese.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #301 on: September 06, 2015, 12:40:30 PM »
yeah i vaguely wanna check out a little symphony x sometime but the cheese sounds offputting and blah

Offline 425

« Reply #302 on: September 06, 2015, 12:48:13 PM »
There's definitely a lot of cheese on this album, but the title track at least is worth a go.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: September 06, 2015, 04:08:03 PM »
This album is incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #306 on: September 09, 2015, 06:45:56 AM »

#31: Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Progressive Metal, 2002

We all know who this band is and we all know what this album does.
IT ROCKS. It's DT's most experimental album, and for that, it does for sure a lot of things right. There's a certain uniqueness to the songwriting, one that did never return for some songs (Misunderstood and Disappear namely) and others that kind of paved the way of what was about to come (The Glass Prison), but overall, it's truly a work of art.
The suite is the band getting more into their comfort zone at the time, and even if I like the first disc a ton more, it's quite an achievement to have that in your discography.
Props to DT, and this was their last record where they really risked (or is it?), so yep. Respect for this one.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:22:39 PM by mikemangioy »

Offline jakepriest

Re: MikeMangioy's top 50 albums v.2: v.2- v. Our illusive mind (#31)
« Reply #307 on: September 09, 2015, 08:27:41 AM »
SDOIT is aweseome.  :tup I also prefer the first disc. The second's heavy songs drag it down a lot imho.

Offline 425

« Reply #308 on: September 09, 2015, 08:30:33 AM »
 :|
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: September 09, 2015, 09:17:21 AM »
My fav DT album, and still in my personal top 3  :metal

:|
One day you'll love it, I swear.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #310 on: September 09, 2015, 09:44:35 AM »
disc 1 is pretty great all-around, three top 20 songs and 2 decent ones
i just cannot get into the title track at all though, I'm not huge on most of the sections by themselves and if you loosely tie them together and claim they're all one song then it's an incohesive mess of a song

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #311 on: September 11, 2015, 06:17:00 AM »
Here is a top 50 classic for y'all:

#30: Ayreon - The Human Equation
Progressive Rock/Metal, 2004

Out of all Arjen Lucassen's various musical projects, Ayreon has always been my favorite, and my favorite Ayreon album has always been the first one I listened too, since the very first listen: The Human Equation.

I distinctly remember being in bed and listening to the thing on youtube on my phone, and getting blown away at every song. It was innovative for one for all the different singers, each interpreting a role in the story and with name such as James LaBrie, Mikael Akerfeldt and Devin Townsend you can't really go wrong. These three on one album? I'm sold.

The story revolves around a man in a coma. In his head, he deals with impersonifications of his emotions: we have Anger, Fear, Pride, Pain, Love, Passion and so on, but we also have other human characters such as Wife and Best Friend. I won't give away much of the plot, since it's a big album and a lot happens, so if you haven't listened to it, you won't know what to expect.

As far as the music goes, it's prog rock, but it has tons and tons of influences, varying from death/doom metal to country/folk. It's truly well-produced, considering that it's only one guy playing almost every instrument. Yeah, also tons of cool riffs and instruments. Once again, I won't talk about the songs because it's pretty useless considering it's one big journey, and it should be felt like that. Go listen to this album from top to bottom, it will blow you away. But beware: cheese.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
As far as Ayreon albums go, I think THE actually has the least amount of cheese.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #313 on: September 11, 2015, 07:54:15 AM »
3 pretty great prog metal albums, especially Six Degrees which is my favorite DT album nowadays.

But beware: cheese.

But the cheese is something that comes with prog in general  :biggrin:
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline jakepriest

What exactly is cheesy about THE? Compared to the other Ayreon albums it's actually got pretty amazing lyrics and concept.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 09:06:39 AM by jakepriest »