Author Topic: Nightwish Survivor - Results and Discussion  (Read 5049 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Nightwish Survivor - Results and Discussion
« on: March 29, 2015, 11:51:51 AM »

Our journey begins, fellow Nightwish fans! During the next few months we will choose the best Nightwish song in our fair survivor, where everyone will honestly vote for their least favourite tunes in each poll and so on. Nightwish is quite a band to say the least; they went from operatic female-only quite amateur albums to full-blown epic and pompous performance with Marco; then Tarja left the band and we got a totally different and awesome band with Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum, featuring Anette Olzon on vocals; finally, Floor Jansen took her place as the main vocalist in the band and their latest album, Endless Forms Most Beautiful allows us to see what music Tuomas wrote for Floor on this album. Well, anyway, I can ramble about awesomeness of Nightwish forever, but the point is whether you are a big fan of Tarja and operatic approach, or you lean towards the more commercial and accessible Nightwish, or you are here just because of Floor, you're welcome anyways! You may be here to vote only for a few albums or for the whole journey, either way, you're welcome!

Below you will find a general outline for the whole survivor, yet it's still a subject to change if there will be any objections...

- Each album will have its own survivor, which makes it eight survivors totally (not counting consolations and finals)
- (This is a subject to discuss and change. Let me know if you prefer a different approach) Every round will last two days, but we will be running two albums at the same time. Let's say Angels Fall First survivor will take place at every odd day, and Oceanborn will take place at every even day, and so on. You get the idea.
- Two best songs from each album will make it to the finals, and the third and fourth songs will go to the consolations, where they will fight for two more places in the main bracket
- Therefore, the finals will feature twenty best Nightwish songs
- there will be tie-breakers if needed

Now, the most important thing about the bonus tracks. I don't think we should include the bonus tracks in this survivor, however great they are, and I think we should just roll this thing on with the studio tracks. However, if most of you think the bonus tracks should be in the polls, I will include them. So let me know if you prefer to get the bonus tracks here too.

For any reference, I will be using the albums' tracklists from the official NW site (that means Sleeping Sun is game for Oceanborn). Then again, if you have any reasonable objections, post them in this thread.

The actual survivor will start Wednesday or Thursday, so there's quite a few days to voice your objections if there are any. I hope you guys will participate in this; I saw thirteen people voting for the Nightwish survivor, so I'm really looking forward for it! See you there in a few days!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:38:07 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish Survivor - Results and Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 11:52:24 AM »
RESULTS

Ghost Love Score is the winner of the DTF Nightwish Survivor!

Finals

1. Ghost Love Score
2. Beauty of the Beast
3. The Poet and the Pendulum
4. Ever Dream
5. Higher Than Hope
6. Dead Boy's Poem
7. Weak Fantasy
8. She is My Sin
9. Sleeping Sun
10. Ghost River
11. The Siren
12. 7 Days to the Wolves
13. Dark Chest of Wonders
14. Stargazers
15. Last Ride of the Day
16. Shudder Before the Beautiful
17. Gethsemane
18. 10th Man Down
19. Elvenpath
20. Tutankhamen

Consolations

1. Dark Chest of Wonders
2. The Siren

3. Song of Myself
4. Sahara
5. Dead to the World
6. FantasMic
7. Bless the Child
8. Alpenglow
9. Storytime
10. Meadows of Heaven
11. Edema Ruh
12. Escapist
13. Passion and the Opera
14. Wanderlust
15. The Pharaoh Sails to Orion
16. Beauty and the Beast
17. Angels Fall First
18. While Your Lips Are Still Red

1. Angels Fall First

1. Elvenpath
2. Tutankhamen

3. Angels Fall First
4. Beauty and the Beast

5. Know Why the Nightingale Sings
6. Nymphomaniac Fantasia
7. Astral Romance
8. Lappi (Lapland)
9. The Carpenter

2. Oceanborn

1. Gethsemane
2. Stargazers

3. Passion and the Opera
4. The Pharaoh Sails to Orion

5. Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean
6. The Riddler
7. Moondance
8. Walking in the Air
9. Swanheart
10. Sacrament of Wilderness

3. Wishmaster

1. Dead Boy's Poem
2. She is My Sin

3. FantasMic
4. Wanderlust

5. Deep Silent Complete
6. Bare Grace Misery
7. Come Cover Me
8. The Kinslayer
9. Wishmaster
10. Crownless
11. Two for Tragedy

4. Century Child

1. Beauty of the Beast
2. Ever Dream

3. Bless the Child
4. Dead to the World

5. Ocean Soul
6. Feel for You
7. End of All Hope
8. Slaying the Dreamer
9. The Phantom of the Opera
10. Forever Yours

5. Once

1. Ghost Love Score
2. Higher Than Hope

3. Dark Chest of Wonders
4. The Siren

5. Creek Mary's Blood
6. Nemo
7. Planet Hell
8. Romanticide
9. Wish I Had an Angel
10. Dead Gardens
11. Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan

6. Dark Passion Play

1. The Poet and the Pendulum
2. 7 Days to the Wolves

3. Meadows of Heaven
4. Sahara

5. Cadence of Her Last Breath
6. Eva
7. Last of the Wilds
8. Amaranth
9. For the Heart I Once Had
10. Bye Bye Beautiful
11. The Islander
12. Master Passion Greed
13. Whoever Brings the Night

7. Imaginaerum

1. Last Ride of the Day
2. Ghost River

3. Song of Myself
4. Storytime

5. Rest Calm
6. Slow, Love, Slow
7. Turn Loose the Mermaids
8. I Want My Tears Back
9. Scaretale
10. The Crow, The Owl and The Dove
11. Taikatalvi
12. Arabesque
13. Imaginaerum

8. Endless Forms Most Beautiful

1. Shudder Before the Beautiful
2. Weak Fantasy

3. Alpenglow
4. Edema Ruh

5. The Greatest Show on Earth
6. Endless Forms Most Beautiful
7. Élan
8. Our Decades in the Sun
9. My Walden
10. Yours is an Empty Hope
11. The Eyes of Sharbat Gula

9. Bonus Tracks

1. Sleeping Sun
2. 10th Man Down

3. Escapist
4. While Your Lips Are Still Red

5. Sagan
6. Over the Hills and Far Away
6. Away
8. Lagoon
8. The Wayfarer
10. White Night Fantasy
10. Live to Tell the Tale
12. The Forever Moments
13. Nightwish
13. Nightquest
13. Sleepwalker
16. A Return to the Sea
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 12:19:43 PM by Evermind »

Offline 425

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 01:20:12 PM »
There's kind of a weird inconsistency in the listing of the bonus tracks on the Nightwish website... Sleeping Sun as you said is listed, and Sleepwalker is listed for Wishmaster, but none of the other bonus tracks are listed with their albums.

I think it would be cool to do the bonus tracks; either have them compete in their respective albums or maybe there could be a "bonus tracks" survivor where the winner got a spot in consolation? But if other people really would rather not do the bonus tracks, I understand. I do think there are some gems there... Lagoon and Escapist most notably.

Edit: Also, if you go to the "Lyrics" section on the Nightwish website, the track listings for each album are different from on the "Releases" page. For example, there Oceanborn includes Nightquest, while on the "Releases" page it doesn't.

Double Edit: Nevermind, it looks to me like the "Lyrics" section basically lists every song related to that album, while the "Releases" section seems to be more focused on the definitive tracklisting of each album, with Wishmaster as a possible anomaly.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 01:25:35 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 10:40:17 PM »
Well, if we will include the bonus tracks, I think we should do a "bonus tracks" survivor indeed.

Any chance you will compile the list of those tracks for us? ;)

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 11:31:21 PM »
I have them all except the debut..............will see if I can snag a cheap copy.   I agree re keeping bonus tracks separate - some of mine have them , some don't and it'll all get rather confusing otherwise.

Good excuse to revisit the older albums and prepare myself (fingers crossed) for an Aussie tour.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:54:15 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 12:32:35 AM »
Yeah, I'm listening to the debut right now and it's a lot better than I remembered it being.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 01:12:36 PM »
I'm probably alone on this, but their first two albums are their best imo. They've done some good stuff since then, but nothing that compares to those two.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline 425

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 02:40:39 PM »
Well, if we will include the bonus tracks, I think we should do a "bonus tracks" survivor indeed.

Any chance you will compile the list of those tracks for us? ;)

Angels Fall First
A Return to the Sea
Nightwish
The Forever Moments

Oceanborn
Sleeping Sun
Nightquest

Wishmaster
Sleepwalker

Century Child
Lagoon
The Wayfarer

Once
White Night Fantasy
Live to Tell the Tale

Dark Passion Play
Escapist
While Your Lips Are Still Red

Imaginaerum
**None**

Endless Forms Most Beautiful
Sagan

Those are the ones I would consider to be the main bonus tracks. Up through Once, these are all songs you would have if you bought the latest US edition of each album. The Nightwish shop is currently selling the versions that have each of these tracks with the exception of Once. For the DPP tracks, Escapist is widely available and was released on some versions of the album. While Your Lips Are Still Red was slightly less widely released, but it's still easily available. You can download both songs from iTunes or Amazon as of right now. Sagan is probably the toughest one to get, since it's not available anywhere but the CD version of the Élan single as near as I can tell, but it's received enough discussion and popularity around here to merit its inclusion among "bonus tracks."

There are some that I intentionally left out: One was Etiäinen, off Angels Fall First (it's actually the third track from the original Nightwish demo alongside Nightwish and The Forever Moments), because it's just the fourth movement of Lappi. I also left off Once Upon a Troubadour, which is often listed among AFF tracks. If people want to include it, go ahead, but as near as I can tell it has not had a release since the original limited run version of AFF, so I don't think many people have access to it. From the DPP era, I left off Erämaan Viimeinen because it's far less accessible than Escapist and While Your Lips Are Still Red and because it's a version of Last of the Wilds with vocals.

Finally, I didn't list 10th Man Down and Away, the two original songs from the Over the Hills and Far Away EP, because I don't know how many people actually have that (I don't). They could easily be included if people want them to be, though.

On the whole, though, I think the list I compiled above would make a good one for bonus tracks. Those songs are all readily available and I think the list includes the ones that would be in a conversation about really good Nightwish songs (Sleeping Sun, Lagoon, Escapist maybe?).
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 05:45:20 PM »
Huh. I had no idea that Sleeping Sun was a bonus track.

The more you know.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline 425

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 06:26:25 PM »
Well, it was released as a standalone single (with Walking in the Air, Swanheart and Angels Fall First repackaged on that same disc) to commemorate the solar eclipse that was happening over Europe. This was in 1999, a year after Oceanborn's original release, so obviously it was not on the original 1998 release of the album. Most later re-releases of Oceanborn have included it. Still, I would say it's technically a non-album track.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 10:36:01 PM »
Yeah, looks like a good list. I haven't heard only AFF ones and Sagan out of those, but that can be easily fixed. Thank you! :tup

We can start Angels Fall First survivor this evening, and Oceanborn survivor will begin a day later.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 04:17:16 PM »
I'm all for including 10th man down and Away from the Over The Hills And Far Away Ep, 10th Man Down is probably my favourite of all the songs in this round. Anyone else in favour?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 10:27:27 AM »
I'm all for including 10th man down and Away from the Over The Hills And Far Away Ep, 10th Man Down is probably my favourite of all the songs in this round. Anyone else in favour?

Well, I've heard both, so I don't mind at all.

Anyway, here's the Angels Fall First survivor results (also added to the second post):

Round 8 Results:

Elvenpath - 4 (36,4%)
Tutankhamen - 7 (63,6%)

1. Elvenpath
2. Tutankhamen

3. Angels Fall First
4. Beauty and the Beast

5. Know Why the Nightingale Sings
6. Nymphomaniac Fantasia
7. Astral Romance
8. Lappi (Lapland)
9. The Carpenter

Elvenpath wins this one!

I can't say I'm really satisfied with the results, because Beauty and the Beast missed the finals, but I don't mind Elvenpath being there. Tutankhamen, on the other hand, is the song I'm not too fond of. And I kind of wish Nightingale wasn't totally eliminated, it's a great song.

Offline 425

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 10:44:18 AM »

I'm fine with this too.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 02:29:19 PM »

I'm fine with this too.

Id say include them and also include the song Over The Hills and Far Away, its kind of a staple song of their live performance so that adds something to the value of it being a NW track.  Just my opinion of course, I also think the NW b-sides are very strong overall for b-sides so I like the idea of a b-side only survivor.

Offline 425

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 02:36:08 PM »
I can agree with including Over The Hills as well. I'll have to actually get this EP by the time we do that, but it shouldn't be a problem for me to do so given the rate this survivor is currently moving at (no complaints, though, I think the pacing is pretty good).
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline 425

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 09:44:29 AM »
Just for the sake of my own understanding how this going, Evermind, you're holding off on starting Wishmaster until Oceanborn is finished so that Wishmaster and Century Child start at the same time?
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 09:57:37 AM »
Just for the sake of my own understanding how this going, Evermind, you're holding off on starting Wishmaster until Oceanborn is finished so that Wishmaster and Century Child start at the same time?

That's right. The pairings are, obviously:

Angels Fall First - Oceanborn
Wishmaster - Century Child
Once - Dark Passion Play
Imaginaerum - Endless Forms Most Beautiful

Bonus Tracks survivor will take place after those, with each round lasting 48 hours.

(I also want to spin Wishmaster a few times before starting it, and I haven't had the time yet, so there are some selfish purposes to this delay as well  :lol )
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:51:07 AM by Evermind »

Offline 425

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 10:00:15 AM »
Alright, good to know! :tup

Wishmaster is a tough one to rank for me as well. I think I have my ranking, but it wasn't easy to arrive at.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 10:25:32 AM »
Oceanborn survivor results (also added to the second post):

Round 9 Results:

Stargazers - 7 (53,8%)

Gethsemane - 6 (46,2%)

1. Gethsemane
2. Stargazers

3. Passion and the Opera
4. The Pharaoh Sails to Orion

5. Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean
6. The Riddler
7. Moondance
8. Walking in the Air
9. Swanheart
10. Sacrament of Wilderness

After a very close competition in the final round, Gethsemane takes the victory!

The ideal Finals song from Oceanborn are Moondance and Swanheart / Walking in the Air for me, and all of those got eliminated extremely early, so this survivor was quite a failure in my opinion. :P On the other hand, both Stargazers and Gethsemane are great power metal songs, so I can't complain too much.

Also, I'm glad Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean got eliminated for good, and a bit disappointed Pharaoh managed to make the Consolations. Wouldn't mind seeing it go either.

Anyway, Wishmaster survivor starts tomorrow, and Century Child survivor will begin on Thursday, so if you wanted to spin those albums before the voting begins, now's the time!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 11:23:31 AM »
Wishmaster survivor results (also added to the second post):

Round 10 Results:

She is My Sin - 7 (70%)

Dead Boy's Poem - 3 (30%)

1. Dead Boy's Poem
2. She is My Sin

3. FantasMic
4. Wanderlust

5. Deep Silent Complete
6. Bare Grace Misery
7. Come Cover Me
8. The Kinslayer
9. Wishmaster
10. Crownless
11. Two for Tragedy

Dead Boy's Poem unsurprisingly takes the victory!

Two For Tragedy being eliminated first is such a fail though.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 11:27:29 AM »
Century Child survivor results (also added to the second post):

Round 9 Results:

Ever Dream - 11 (78,6%)

Beauty of the Beast - 3 (21,4%)

1. Beauty of the Beast
2. Ever Dream

3. Bless the Child
4. Dead to the World

5. Ocean Soul
6. Feel for You
7. End of All Hope
8. Slaying the Dreamer
9. The Phantom of the Opera
10. Forever Yours

Beauty of the Beast is the winner of Century Child survivor!

While we nailed the Top 2 here, Bless the Child and Dead to the World are both quite unwelcome in Consolations, if you ask me. My picks would've been Ocean Soul (seriously, this song is eliminated already?) and Forever Yours.

Now, get ready for Once survivor starting tomorrow; and don't forget about Dark Passion Play survivor too, coming up on Wednesday!

Offline 425

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 12:53:18 PM »
My picks would've been Ocean Soul (seriously, this song is eliminated already?) and Forever Yours.

One more time to harp on this. Well, I'll probably harp on it again during consolation and finals, but one more time for a while.

Seriously, people? Ocean Soul is at least one of the top 5 best songs in the Nightwish discography. The only competitors even are Ghost Love Score, Beauty of the Beast and maybe The Poet and the Pendulum. Now, maybe you don't have quite as high an opinion of it as I do, and though that's incorrect, it's okay. Maybe 2nd on the album. Maybe even 3rd on the album.

Not 5th. No. That's wrong. You can't just eliminate a song like that and expect everything to be okay. Just...
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 11:36:06 AM »
Once survivor results (also added to the second post):

Round 10 Results:

Ghost Love Score - 1 (6,7%)
Higher Than Hope - 14 (93,3%)

1. Ghost Love Score
2. Higher Than Hope

3. Dark Chest of Wonders
4. The Siren

5. Creek Mary's Blood
6. Nemo
7. Planet Hell
8. Romanticide
9. Wish I Had an Angel
10. Dead Gardens
11. Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan

Ghost Love Score is the winner of Once survivor!

Once again, nailed the top 2 and The Siren in Consolations is quite nice too. Swap Dark Chest of Wonders with Creek Mary's Blood and that would be a perfect result.

Offline 425

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 03:47:43 PM »
Three of the top four are exactly what I would have put there. I would've liked to see Romanticide up there, but I respect the amount of love The Siren gets even though I don't share it.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 02:15:46 AM »
Dark Passion Play survivor results (also added to the second post):

Round 12 Results:

The Poet and the Pendulum - 6 (42,9%)
7 Days to the Wolves - 8 (57,1%)

1. The Poet and the Pendulum
2. 7 Days to the Wolves

3. Meadows of Heaven
4. Sahara

5. Cadence of Her Last Breath
6. Eva
7. Last of the Wilds
8. Amaranth
9. For the Heart I Once Had
10. Bye Bye Beautiful
11. The Islander
12. Master Passion Greed
13. Whoever Brings the Night

The Poet and the Pendulum is the winner of Dark Passion Play survivor!

The Islander going out at #11 is such a failure, but otherwise it's a fine selection of songs advancing to the Finals and Consolations. My Top 5 for this album are:

1) The Poet and the Pendulum
2) The Islander
3) 7 Days to the Wolves
4) Meadows of Heaven
5) Sahara

So as I said, we did good here, I think. I know who thinks otherwise though! He's almost the only one who writes in this thread besides me. :lol

Now we'll be moving to Imaginaerum and Endless Forms Most Beautiful survivors! The former will start this evening in ~8 hours from now on, and the latter will begin on Sunday. I'm really excited for these two!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 01:31:51 AM by Evermind »

Offline 425

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 11:00:07 AM »
So as I said, we did good here, I think. I know who thinks otherwise though! He's almost the only one who writes in this thread besides me. :lol

Yep. :lol 7 Days that high is just incorrect. As is The Islander that low. I'm sorely tempted to go right into the first round of the finals still saying "7 Days to the Wolves until it's gone."
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2015, 04:12:39 PM »
I forgot to create thread for Imaginaerum survivor, damn, and now it's kind of too late in the day. We'll get to it tomorrow then.

Yep. :lol 7 Days that high is just incorrect. As is The Islander that low. I'm sorely tempted to go right into the first round of the finals still saying "7 Days to the Wolves until it's gone."

Might take you more than seven days too.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 01:33:54 AM »
Imaginaerum survivor results (also added to the second post):

Round 12 Results:

Ghost River - 9 (60%)
Last Ride of the Day - 6 (40%)

1. Last Ride of the Day
2. Ghost River

3. Song of Myself
4. Storytime

5. Rest Calm
6. Slow, Love, Slow
7. Turn Loose the Mermaids
8. I Want My Tears Back
9. Scaretale
10. The Crow, The Owl and The Dove
11. Taikatalvi
12. Arabesque
13. Imaginaerum

Last Ride of the Day is the winner of Imaginaerum survivor!

Ghost River also makes the Finals, which is surprising for me; Rest Calm didn't even make the Consolations, which is disappointing; but since Scaretale was eliminated quite early, I don't think I can complain about this one.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 01:51:00 AM »
Endless Forms Most Beautiful survivor results (also added to the second post):

Round 10 Results:

Shudder Before the Beautiful - 6 (46,2%)
Weak Fantasy - 7 (53,8%)

1. Shudder Before the Beautiful
2. Weak Fantasy

3. Alpenglow
4. Edema Ruh

5. The Greatest Show on Earth
6. Endless Forms Most Beautiful
7. Élan
8. Our Decades in the Sun
9. My Walden
10. Yours is an Empty Hope
11. The Eyes of Sharbat Gula

Shudder Before the Beautiful is the winner of Endless Forms Most Beautiful survivor!

Everything went fairly well (except Elan elimination) until this last round. Weak Fantasy deserved to win this one, in my opinion. Anyway, I think this survivor was a success.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2015, 01:52:28 AM »
Next up we have Bonus Tracks survivor, which will start tomorrow evening! Please be sure to listen to the songs you haven't heard before, so you can vote with us (I'm going to revisit all tracks today). The tracklist for the survivor was provided by 425 and edited during the earlier discussion in this thread:

A Return to the Sea
Nightwish
The Forever Moments
Sleeping Sun
Nightquest
Sleepwalker
Over the Hills and Far Away
10th Man Down
Away
Lagoon
The Wayfarer
White Night Fantasy
Live to Tell the Tale
Escapist
While Your Lips Are Still Red
Sagan

If you have any objections to this tracklist, post them before the first round starts (~32 hours from now on). Bonus Tracks survivor will run just as every usual survivor, with 2 days for voting. The tiebreakers will occur only if necessary though, so if we get six songs with one vote in the first round, they're all out. I don't want this particular survivor to be too long.

Just so we don't get bored while Bonus Tracks survivor is on, I'm thinking we can do an album competition at the same time. I would suggest a league format where the albums face each other head to head in the match-ups, so we have seven rounds, four match-ups in each one, that will allow us to determine the winner. 48 hours to vote in each round, ties are allowed.

Any objections / suggestions / thoughts?

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2015, 03:26:16 AM »
Out of the bonus tracks I know only Sleeping Sun, Over the Hills and Far Away and While Your Lips Are Still Red. Not sure if I'm gonna participate until consolations.
The album league stuff sounds fun though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2015, 05:33:20 AM »
I dont think I am familiar with those older bonus tracks, but I know about 3/4 of them overall.  Im good witb the album competition, my only problem is I seem to forget to come on this site to make votes over the weekend.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 06:48:39 AM »
I dont think I am familiar with those older bonus tracks, but I know about 3/4 of them overall.

Well in this case I think you can just go and listen to other 1/4 on YouTube. :P I expect a significant drop in the votes for this survivor, so every person who can vote matters!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2015, 11:55:56 AM »
Nightwish Album League results:

Round 7 Results:

Dark Passion Play defeats Angels Fall First 9-1
Once defeats Oceanborn 7-3
Endless Forms Most Beautiful defeats Wishmaster 6-4
Century Child is tied with Imaginaerum 5-5

Final standings:

#. Album | W - (T) - L (Votes difference)

1. Century Child | 6 - 1 - 0 (+35)
2. Imaginaerum | 5 - 1 - 1 (+29)
3. Once | 5 - 2 (+15)
4. Dark Passion Play | 5 - 2 (+12)
5. Endless Forms Most Beautiful | 3 - 4 (+4)
6. Oceanborn | 2 - 5 (-17)
7. Wishmaster | 1 - 6 (-17)
8. Angels Fall First | 0 - 7 (-61)

Century Child wins the League without losing a single match, Imaginaerum comes second, and Once gets the third place due to vote difference with Dark Passion Play — which is actually amusing, because in their head-to-head matchup, Dark Passion Play won.

That was a fun little distraction, and we should be going into the Consolations fairly soon - maybe in a week from now. For now, we've got our Bonus Tracks survivor to finish.