Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554245 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #5145 on: October 17, 2017, 06:53:49 AM »
Mr.Holmes, such an excellent movie. I liked seeing an aging Sherlock who is forgetful, you generally never see any adaption done when he's retired and becoming an old fossil. It's a beautifully crafted movie, so well put together, has a much slower pace, very relaxed infact. Story unfolds in stages and I thought was so well done. I'd give it a 9/10. I think it was that good.

I enjoyed Mr. Holmes as well. I have a pretty common habit of falling asleep towards the end of movies and my wife doesn't understand why I can stay awake for Mr. Holmes but fall asleep during the climax of Wonder Woman. A good story can hold my attention much better than shit blowing up.

Speaking of which, just watched Wonder Woman. I'd say 3/5 is fair.  Much better than the abomination that was Suicide Squad but I've all but given up on the DC franchise. We'll see what happens with Justice League.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5146 on: October 17, 2017, 07:08:22 AM »
So true, I thought Wonder Woman was kinda passable. Honestly, I think the formula needs to change for the superhero genre to make it interesting for me. Guardians of the galaxy vol.2 was boring as hell with the same end of the world scenarios. I think you can do superhero movies uniquely like I thought Doctor Strange was really good even though it's a very tired and already used trope, I thought it was made well and presented a bit differently.

I was hoping WW was a lot more than it was advertised, in the end, it really wasn't that much different. While it was good, I was expecting it to more different than more of the same especially with regards to the ending.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5147 on: October 17, 2017, 09:50:10 PM »
The Iron Giant - Sort of an iconic animation movie I guess, it was really good and the story was very endearing. Brad Bird certainly has a warm style of storytelling. I really enjoyed this animation movie, much more than I thought I would.

Halloween (1978) - For some reason I never got to watch the original Halloween, even though it's quite outdated, the pacing and setup of the movie are all what most horror movies do now, and for an era defining slasher movie, it surprisingly has very little gore. The score at times shows its age but the theme is really suited for the movie and quite chilling, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross did a cover of it last week and it was just as good.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #5148 on: October 17, 2017, 11:52:15 PM »
The Big Lebowski. It was late at night and I fell asleep over halfway through so I don't know how it ends yet. :P
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5149 on: October 19, 2017, 11:50:18 AM »
Seen a bunch of movies lately.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - Jesus Christ let's just hope this actually is the last one.

Baby Driver - Really fun movie. I liked it.

It Comes at Night - Not what I expected going in, at all, but I enjoyed this a lot. Thought it would be a horror movie, but it wasn't quite scary enough to be that. But it was interesting as hell.

Mother! - Speaking of interesting. Holy shit. I've been thinking on this one for two weeks now and only just now decided that it's the best movie of the year so far. I haven't experienced this much emotion watching a movie in a long time, if ever. Incredibly powerful and brilliant way to tell this story and get your message through. Bravo Darren Aronofsky, you never disappoint. Except with Noah, what's up with that.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5150 on: October 19, 2017, 01:09:37 PM »

Mother! - Speaking of interesting. Holy shit. I've been thinking on this one for two weeks now and only just now decided that it's the best movie of the year so far. I haven't experienced this much emotion watching a movie in a long time, if ever. Incredibly powerful and brilliant way to tell this story and get your message through. Bravo Darren Aronofsky, you never disappoint. Except with Noah, what's up with that.

Holy shit is right. Mother is one wild ride. I came out of that theater with my heart racing and I loved it.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #5151 on: October 19, 2017, 04:45:58 PM »
Scanners (1981) - I really enjoyed this movie but you can really tell at times how rushed the production was.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5152 on: October 19, 2017, 06:20:34 PM »
Jaws

Just a classic movie in every sense.  The battle at the end with the shark is epic.

The first is obviously the best, but the sequel is almost as good.  And I'll admit, I like the cheesy aspect of part 3 and enjoy it.  Didn't really think much of part 4.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #5153 on: October 19, 2017, 09:58:30 PM »
Jaws

Just a classic movie in every sense.  The battle at the end with the shark is epic.

The first is obviously the best, but the sequel is almost as good.  And I'll admit, I like the cheesy aspect of part 3 and enjoy it.  Didn't really think much of part 4.

Part 3 was at least entertainingly bad and i kinda love it for that. Part 4 was mainly just bad.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5154 on: October 21, 2017, 02:40:11 PM »
Train to Busan, one of the best zombie movies i've seen in a while.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5155 on: October 21, 2017, 07:23:53 PM »
Suicide Squad

Yeah, it was pretty dumb. And its idea of a soundtrack was to play the first 30 seconds some popular pop song, and then repeat that every 10 mins. I was like "oh here's a random queen song, here's a random rolling stones song, here's a random black sabbath" and so forth.  But hey, I was bored and it helped pass 2 hours, so there's that.

And believe it or not, I actually enjoyed Jared leto's joker. Obviously he's no Heath ledger, but it was unique. A guilty pleasure I guess.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5156 on: October 23, 2017, 07:19:09 AM »
Raw

Some very disgusting scenes in this one. Overall I thought it was okay, the story started off interesting but kind of petered off at the end. My wife commented that the most unrealistic thing about the film was that she very much doubted that students at Veterinary school would party so much.

3/5

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5157 on: October 25, 2017, 12:07:33 AM »
Only The Brave.  Cool movie, sad ending.  Had a clip of Jump In The Fire in it.   :metal  Haven't heard that song in years!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5158 on: October 25, 2017, 06:24:47 AM »
Drop zone

Wesley snipes, Gary busey. Skydiving badguys and the cop that's gonna take them down. Kind of dumb, but a lot of fun.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #5159 on: October 25, 2017, 05:03:33 PM »
Creep 2 (2017):

A video artist looking for work drives to a remote house in the forest to meet a man claiming to be a serial killer. But after agreeing to spend the day with him, she soon realizes that she made a deadly mistake.

Just as fun as the first. Mark Duplass is once again awesome, hilarious and creepy as the charismatic serial killer and his victim is very likeable. Watching him weird the shit out of her with his stories and acts is highly entertaining. Ending isn’t as good as the first, but still good. 7/10
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 07:40:07 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #5160 on: October 25, 2017, 07:28:29 PM »
The Old Dark House (1931)- Fun movie that is pretty much at times a horror comedy.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5161 on: October 26, 2017, 12:20:46 AM »
Gerald’s Game - Good movie. I didn’t love the ending but everything else was great.

The Book of Henry - Unexpectedly powerful. Great movie.

Annabelle: Creation - Decent studio horror movie. Fun to watch with friends.

Wind River - Excellent stuff here. Does a great job of making you feel what it wants you to feel.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #5162 on: October 26, 2017, 12:32:59 AM »
Gerald’s Game - Good movie. I didn’t love the ending but everything else was great.

Loved that movie. Yeah the ending was definitely the weakest part.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #5163 on: October 26, 2017, 06:57:04 AM »

Loved that movie. Yeah the ending was definitely the weakest part.

Sounds like a Stephen King story to me.

He's my favorite author but it's obvious he doesn't plan out his endings lol
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5164 on: October 26, 2017, 11:54:57 AM »
War for the planet of the apes. Amazing movie and I thought it was the perfect ending to a trilogy of movies. Though I guess it's not going to be a trilogy since they're already getting ready to make the next one.
Still I sometimes cannot believe the CGI on this movie, honestly thought in several of the scenes it was just costumes etc..

I think as far as story goes, I still think Dawn had the best story while War is a very close second. I think I'll like it a bit more once I see it again.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5165 on: October 26, 2017, 02:05:04 PM »
After only having seen War once, I agree with you, Dawn is ever so slightly better. But that may change.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5166 on: October 26, 2017, 10:10:16 PM »
I'm not sure I can pick, but I don't disagree. Both are favourite recent Hollywood movies of mine (and the first one is really good too), so it's hard to pick one until I'm able to rewatch War. Are they definitely going ahead with another? I got the impression War didn't do too well, it seemed to come and go.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5167 on: October 28, 2017, 06:00:22 AM »
War for the Planet of the Apes.

It's good, but it's just that it personally didn't capture me that much.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #5168 on: November 01, 2017, 12:42:09 AM »
Just finished my annual Halloween night Laurie Strode trilogy with Halloween, Halloween II, and Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #5169 on: November 01, 2017, 02:22:29 AM »
Are they definitely going ahead with another? I got the impression War didn't do too well, it seemed to come and go.

One of the strangest box office letdowns of recent times.  Had everything going for it too : great reviews, following on from the success of Dawn, and the final part of a trilogy.   Ended up with a Boxoffice Worldwide total of $488 million, compared to the $720 Dawn took.   Really odd performance.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5170 on: November 01, 2017, 02:46:22 AM »
Are they definitely going ahead with another? I got the impression War didn't do too well, it seemed to come and go.

One of the strangest box office letdowns of recent times.  Had everything going for it too : great reviews, following on from the success of Dawn, and the final part of a trilogy.   Ended up with a Boxoffice Worldwide total of $488 million, compared to the $720 Dawn took.   Really odd performance.

I think the first movie kind of surprised people, and gained a good word of mouth before the second one. I think the problem after that is that people had different expectations of what the sequels would be. They were marketed like typical action movies, but that's not primarily what they were (although there was great action too). Perhaps the movies weren't clear cut enough to appeal to the larger audience.
And this is why the big budget movies usually play it very safe and keep giving us the same thing over again, because when a movie costs that much, you need to appeal to the biggest possible audience to make a profit.

I'll be satisfied if this is the end of the series, because it was a strong trilogy imo, and I'd hate for them to change the formula for the sake of making money and sacrifice what I enjoyed about it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5171 on: November 01, 2017, 07:33:49 AM »
I'll be satisfied if this is the end of the series, because it was a strong trilogy imo, and I'd hate for them to change the formula for the sake of making money and sacrifice what I enjoyed about it.

What, no JJ reboot??
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5172 on: November 01, 2017, 07:46:45 AM »

What, no JJ reboot??

I'm really hanging out for Michael Bay, but I guess apes will look cool with lens flares too.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5173 on: November 01, 2017, 08:15:48 AM »
Blob.  I'd rather see a monkey walking awake with his back to the explosion.  Michael Bay style. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5174 on: November 01, 2017, 08:34:02 AM »
Well, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes gave us an ape firing two machine guns on horseback while jumping through flames, which is about as badass as it gets. :lol :metal
And War for the Planet of the Apes sorta had Caesar jumping and getting thrown by an explosion.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5175 on: November 01, 2017, 08:44:38 AM »
Yes but are they wearing cops shades while walking away? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5176 on: November 01, 2017, 08:45:06 AM »

I too am hoping its the end of the series. I think the studio is planning to continue the series and some of the ape characters and possible lead up to the original Planet of the Apes. That's what I think is the idea. Matt Reeves won't be involved from what it looks like which is unfortunate because Dawn and War are some of the best movies I've seen.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5177 on: November 05, 2017, 08:48:09 AM »
Thor: Ragnarok - Liked it a lot, very funny. Maybe a bit too funny at times which made the events of the movie carry less weight than they could have. I think the Guardians of the Galaxy movies have hit the right comedy/drama ratio, where both are allowed to breathe.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - Perfectly adequate evening entertainment, but nothing more.

A Ghost Story - Loved this one. Very subtle but still powerful and beautiful.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5178 on: November 05, 2017, 10:14:18 AM »
Suburbicon

Just couldn't get into this one and the negative reviews are pretty much spot on.  Didn't like it at all.

And also Exorcist II. 

I watched this years ago but couldn't really remember much of it.  The first Exorcist is obviously a classic and I always enjoy watching it.  But there is a reason that Exorcist II is considered not only one of the worst sequels of all time, but one of the worst movies of all time.  What a hot mess of a movie.  Not even so bad its good level.  Just bad.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5179 on: November 05, 2017, 01:23:29 PM »
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, it was meh, I spaced out half-way through.