Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 559415 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #4585 on: April 14, 2017, 05:54:37 AM »
I hated it.  It's completely superficial, I admit, but just as I'd rather watch attractive people in movies as opposed to unattractive ones, I'd rather listen to people sing who can actually sing well than those who can't.

I'm not sure the visual appeal is as much a big deal for me, but certainly listening to someone who can sing in a musical adaptation is pretty damned important.  When someone's lack of singing talent takes away from the overall performance of the entire cast and reception of the movie, I don't understand how people can 'look' past that.  For instance... Russell Crowe in Les Mis.  Awful.  Terrible.  Made everything about Javert a joke, and I couldn't take the character seriously - which pissed me off because A) it's such a great musical, and B) Javert is such an important character.

Mama Mia suffers from a bit of the same, but since Mama Mia was more of a contrived musical as an ode to Abba, I was able to tolerate it some.

I had a bigger issue with the production and 'synchronization' of the audio of Watson's singing (and many others') in Beauty and the Beast - it was such a horribly bad job, especially in the opening scene.  It was painfully obvious her voice was coming from a studio and auto-tuned.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:07:10 AM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4586 on: April 14, 2017, 05:56:14 AM »
Same as in movies where a band starts playing at a live gig and it's 100% obvious that the studio track is just playing over the scene.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4587 on: April 14, 2017, 05:56:42 AM »
Inferno

A few changes from the Dan Brown book, but pretty entertaining.  At least Tom Hanks didn't sound like he had a cold, like he did in Davinci Code. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4588 on: April 14, 2017, 06:07:51 AM »
Inferno

A few changes from the Dan Brown book, but pretty entertaining.  At least Tom Hanks didn't sound like he had a cold, like he did in Davinci Code.

The DaVinci Cold :hat

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4589 on: April 14, 2017, 09:05:11 AM »
I remember not being overly impressed with The Godfather either, although that was a long time ago. Wouldn't say it was bad though.
This.

Also watched Ex Machina. Pretty good film, great twists. Very nice soundtrack too, by Geoff Barrow (Portishead).

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4590 on: April 14, 2017, 10:42:15 AM »
I remember not being overly impressed with The Godfather either, although that was a long time ago. Wouldn't say it was bad though.
This.

Also watched Ex Machina. Pretty good film, great twists. Very nice soundtrack too, by Geoff Barrow (Portishead).

Ex Machina was the best movie I watched in 2016. Kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. It felt so fresh.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4591 on: April 14, 2017, 11:38:49 AM »
Inferno

You must have watched an alternate version or something.  :lol

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4592 on: April 14, 2017, 04:11:38 PM »
Locke (2013): 7/10

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #4593 on: April 14, 2017, 04:54:47 PM »
Frankenstein (1931) (rewatch): 8/10 Great.

Bride of Frankenstein (1935) (rewatch): 7/10 No way it's better than the first. Too much silly humor, Una O'Connor is the most annoying actress of all time and the bride only appears for like 2 minutes... Still very good though. Love the scene with the blind man.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4594 on: April 14, 2017, 10:19:31 PM »
Both are great, but you're right about the first one being the better of the two.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4595 on: April 15, 2017, 12:53:22 AM »
Watched 'Paterson' last night. Highly enjoyable and fresh feeling movie despite nothing really happening.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4596 on: April 15, 2017, 01:17:47 AM »
Frankenstein (1931) (rewatch): 8/10 Great.

Bride of Frankenstein (1935) (rewatch): 7/10 No way it's better than the first. Too much silly humor, Una O'Connor is the most annoying actress of all time and the bride only appears for like 2 minutes... Still very good though. Love the scene with the blind man.

First is the definitive classic, as were most of the first installments in the Universal horror series. I still enjoyed all of those movies though, even the crossovers later on like House of Dracula/Frankenstein, Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman etc. Been a while since I've watched through them all.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #4597 on: April 15, 2017, 02:35:51 AM »
Kong Skull Island. Loved the visual style. Read a lot of moaning about thye lack of 'character devellopment'. Come on, in a flick like this?
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4598 on: April 15, 2017, 02:50:41 AM »
It's pretty clear it was only intended as a light popcorn flick (and as setup for King Kong vs Godzilla), and from what I've heard it does a pretty good job of that. You don't watch a movie called Kong: Skull Island for character development. You watch it for a giant ape wrecking shit!
I was half interested in seeing it myself, but didn't get around to it. I'll check it out when it comes out on DVD or whatever though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4599 on: April 15, 2017, 03:24:16 AM »
I started watching Hellboy and that was gods awful, so I shut it off. Now I'm watching No Country for Old Men.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4600 on: April 15, 2017, 03:32:43 AM »
Hellboy is awesome and badass!

Last movie seen: The Last Temptation of Christ (go figure why). I personally didn't like it, sure it was masterfully shot but it was a bit too long and it was basically a retreading of the "classic" story of Jesus until the twist at the end.

I liked the idea that Judas and Jesus planned the "betrayal", I thought it was a good idea for a song but I found out that someone beat me to it and the idea was not original  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4601 on: April 15, 2017, 05:40:05 AM »
I started watching Hellboy and that was gods awful, so I shut it off. Ndow I'm watching No Country for Old Men.

The F? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4602 on: April 15, 2017, 05:42:54 AM »
Ron Perlman :tup

Coen Brothers :tup.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4603 on: April 15, 2017, 10:45:25 AM »
I started watching Hellboy and that was gods awful, so I shut it off. Ndow I'm watching No Country for Old Men.

How the hell did you manage to misspell my quote which was already spelled correctly?  :rollin

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #4604 on: April 15, 2017, 11:10:48 AM »

How the hell did you manage to misspell my quote which was already spelled correctly?  :rollin

Do not underestimate King's power.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4605 on: April 15, 2017, 01:52:55 PM »
I will destroy everyone's grammar.   Starting with you John! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4606 on: April 15, 2017, 03:32:45 PM »
The Fifth Element.

For the first time.

Yeah, took me only 20 years to watch it. The effects are obviously dated, but the movie it was quite good and fun! Still more original than many random CGI crapfests with a bad plot you see nowadays. It deserves the fame it got over these 20 years!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4607 on: April 15, 2017, 04:00:56 PM »
I love 5th element and laugh may ass off every time I watch it. Nothing quite like it

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4608 on: April 15, 2017, 04:10:59 PM »
Yeah I love it and actually don't mind Chris Tucker in it since his character is *supposed* to be intolerable.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4609 on: April 15, 2017, 04:19:11 PM »
I love The 5th Element.  I bought the Blu-ray the same day I bought my first Blu-ray player.  Fuck yeah!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4610 on: April 15, 2017, 04:22:40 PM »
Luc Besson usually makes decent movies.

I didn't even mind Lucy. I'd heard it was total shite but I enjoyed it since I just accepted it was complete fiction.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4611 on: April 15, 2017, 04:39:01 PM »
Yeah I love it and actually don't mind Chris Tucker in it since his character is *supposed* to be intolerable.

Yeah, forgot to mention this.

He's worse than Jar Jar Binks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4612 on: April 15, 2017, 05:27:54 PM »

"All night long, all night long, all night..."  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4613 on: April 15, 2017, 07:27:08 PM »
I will destroy everyone's grammar.   Starting with you John! :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4614 on: April 15, 2017, 08:03:59 PM »

Kotowboy will hate this.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4615 on: April 15, 2017, 08:06:45 PM »
I told you to stop gluing your pubic hairs to your face.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4616 on: April 15, 2017, 08:08:34 PM »
If only.  It's the only place where hair is growing.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4617 on: April 15, 2017, 10:38:25 PM »
The fate of the furious.

I think this was easily my favorite one so far. Just when you think things couldn't get more over the top, they get over the top ridiculous and then go more over top that again. The movie is relentless and just doesn't put the pedal down. If you're a fan of the franchise, this one will not disappoint at all.

I think my favorite part was car hacking part. The plot was intriguing as well, I think they tied all the little things back together quite well. And it looks like it's going to make bank, no surprises there.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #4618 on: April 15, 2017, 10:42:30 PM »
it does goe over the top. I am re-watching it now, but ill say its a fun movie, they accomplished/outdid themselves on fun factor. fun movie.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4619 on: April 16, 2017, 01:11:00 PM »
Fast And Furious 8 made Half A Billion Dollars in 3 days :rollin