Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554491 times)

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #1435 on: January 04, 2016, 08:15:22 PM »
Kill Bill Vol.1 & 2. Damn, this one was pretty great. Loved how much action there is yet it has a minimalist, slow feel. The plot is not that original, and while it might sound clichéd (it's a revenge story, in the end), its development is fantastic. I definitely have to watch more Tarantino movies.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #1436 on: January 04, 2016, 09:13:17 PM »
Just saw Maze runner Scorch trials, Woah!!!  :omg:
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1437 on: January 05, 2016, 06:28:06 AM »
This is pretty epic, only watched a few minutes so far though.

The year's most notable directors join for The Hollywood Reporter's Writer Oscar Roundtable. The directors include Quentin Tarantino ('The Hateful Eight'), Tom Hooper ('The Danish Girl'), Alejandro G. Inarritu ('The Revenant'), Ridley Scott ('The Martian'), Danny Boyle ('Steve Jobs') and David O. Russell ('Joy').

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ7qKKQrSBY

Edit: Ugh that host was pretty terrible.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:25:27 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1438 on: January 05, 2016, 10:10:50 AM »
I got Sicario and The Walk from Red Box, looking forward to these.

Offline MajorBoobage

« Reply #1439 on: January 05, 2016, 02:52:38 PM »
12 years a slave, again. Great great movie.
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1440 on: January 05, 2016, 06:38:21 PM »
Just finished Sicario. Wow, what a gritty and realistic film. Fantastic! Denis Villeneuve sure has a great track record with Enemy, Prisoners, and now this. I haven't seen any of his other films but he sure knows how to make some unsettling film.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1441 on: January 05, 2016, 10:02:52 PM »
Just watched Hateful 8

I personally really liked it, mainly because I love clue, and 10 little indians and plays in general, but with all that being said I can see how people are going to have issues with this movie.

I will admit, the first hour I was hating on it pretty hard, but then in the 2nd hour it won me back when it got excellent. The 3rd hour was solid as well. 

If I had any formal complaints, this thing definitely did not need to be 3 hours long. The entire 1st hour was set up and it was pretty drawn out. Parts of hour 2 and 3 could have been trimmed as well and we could have had a slimmer, and better paced film, but whatever, by the end I walked away happy.

And bravo to Samuel jackson. He stole the show. Oh my god, he had me rolling
I thought the first act was solid. I'm a sucker for Tarantino dialogue and I thought that was some of the best in the movie. Besides, the development is important to the tension that it builds up to. Not sure if you saw the standard or longer 70mm version, but with the intermission the longer version was just fine (and I thought his last two were too long).

As for the movie, I think it might be the most insanely violent thing I've ever seen. Like all Americans I'm desensitized to graphic violence, but seeing it in such a claustrophobic atmosphere, and so prolonged with so many taking so long to die, it really makes for a different experience. Yet, like most of his work, it's still amusing and often times hilarious during, and at times because of the insane violence. Every time somebody belted Jennifer Jason Leigh it made me laugh.

As for SLJ, I think he might have been the weak link. When he was the house negro in Django he was pretty believable. In this he came across more as Jules than a retired civil war veteran. Everybody else really nailed it. In particular Bruce Dern, who was not only perfect for the part, absolutely sold the conclusion of the second act. Without him it wouldn't have worked, and in this case it worked well enough to leave the audience shell-shocked when the lights came up for the intermission. There was a second or two of silence, and then a large, collective gasp.

All in all I'd certainly recommend it, but only to people who enjoy graphic violence. And not the over-the-top violence of The Crazy 88 and The House of Blue Leaves. Closeup gunshots and people lying around bleeding, caterwauling and generally suffering out their final half hour.

The Hateful Eight. Wow, what a fun movie. I love mystery type stuff, this was awesome. 3 hour film that was interesting all throughout. Thought my goodness it was loud as hell in the theater. :lol
Glad it wasn't just me. Most of the movie is reasonable, and the gunshots are sufficiently loud and concussive, but the music and some of the cues were deafening. I was feeling like an old man in there.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1442 on: January 06, 2016, 09:09:34 AM »
Yeah it was just very loud. The music at the beginning was only getting louder and louder and it wouldn't stop

Offline MajorBoobage

« Reply #1443 on: January 06, 2016, 01:19:36 PM »
Jackie Brown just now. Good movie, liked it. Preparing for Hateful Eight this weekend, this one was the last one i havent seen
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1444 on: January 06, 2016, 06:01:33 PM »
I'm planning on marathoning the Tarantino films. Seeing The Hateful Eight really got me in the mood for his movies, and I have all of them. I still haven't seen Reservoir Dogs or Jackie Brown.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1445 on: January 07, 2016, 12:44:07 AM »
Just watching Straight outta Compton. Enjoying it pretty good so far, but I've read the second half is a lot less good.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1446 on: January 07, 2016, 01:24:31 AM »
Weirdest song choice in a movie:

https://youtu.be/xQBGmBOhQEE
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1447 on: January 07, 2016, 01:48:42 AM »
I thought that was going to be a joke video. :| That was painful. I will continue to never watch this movie.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1448 on: January 07, 2016, 02:13:22 AM »
They really drag it out, too. :\

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1449 on: January 07, 2016, 02:30:01 AM »
Whoa. Jackman, bro...the fuck you thinkin'!?!?

It's in bad taste, which means it's right up my ally, but this Youtube comment is one that I can say I do not detest, on the contrary:

"Kirk Cobain saw the future. He saw this. Then he killed himself."

:rollin Deserved. This movie should be locked up for murder, let that crazy cunt off the hook (lolz) and put this in her place, I'm cool with that.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1450 on: January 07, 2016, 05:37:59 AM »
Yea I was certain it was a redub but it was too synced and after some research the cringe was real.  :|

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1451 on: January 07, 2016, 06:17:52 AM »

I just realized the actor who plays Hook is the same actor who played Patroclus from Troy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1452 on: January 07, 2016, 01:51:42 PM »
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2

What did you think?  I haven't see that one yet.  I was not into these until recently.  Can't remember why or exactly how we stumbled onto it, but my wife and I ended up watching the first one on either Netflix or Amazon Prime recently.  I thought it was pretty good, so we watched the next one, and then Mockingjay - Part 1.  I thought they would be cool books for my 12 year old to read, but my wife said she heard they are too violent, so she checked them out from the library for me to read first.  I got through the first two and thought they were actually pretty good.  Very well-written, and lots of really good themes and concepts to grapple with that we could discuss with my son, so I passed them on to him.  I just finished reading Mockingjay, and was overwhelmed with how violent and nightmarish the second half is.  He's not going to read that one for awhile.  But I am curious how the movie was.  I don't see how they can pull off half of what was in the book without an R rating.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1453 on: January 07, 2016, 02:07:25 PM »

I just realized the actor who plays Hook is the same actor who played Patroclus from Troy.

He's also in Tron 2 (and Four Brothers, but Tron 2 is awesome). I actually really like the dude in the few movies I've seen but it's yet another "WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU DO THIS?" thing. Like...it's baffling. Why the hell anyone would agree to this is beyond me because there is zero chance of it being good. It's not even a case of "well, on paaaper..." nope. On paper it sucks. On video it sucks. It sucks.

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1454 on: January 07, 2016, 02:58:10 PM »
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2

What did you think?  I haven't see that one yet.  I was not into these until recently.  Can't remember why or exactly how we stumbled onto it, but my wife and I ended up watching the first one on either Netflix or Amazon Prime recently.  I thought it was pretty good, so we watched the next one, and then Mockingjay - Part 1.  I thought they would be cool books for my 12 year old to read, but my wife said she heard they are too violent, so she checked them out from the library for me to read first.  I got through the first two and thought they were actually pretty good.  Very well-written, and lots of really good themes and concepts to grapple with that we could discuss with my son, so I passed them on to him.  I just finished reading Mockingjay, and was overwhelmed with how violent and nightmarish the second half is.  He's not going to read that one for awhile.  But I am curious how the movie was.  I don't see how they can pull off half of what was in the book without an R rating.

I haven't read the books, so I can't really say how holds up to that. I hear the books are great though. My younger sister read them a few years ago and said they were good, but I didn't quite take that seriously. But then my dad read them and thought they were great too.

What I can say however is that I really enjoyed the final movie. Partly because of the scope and stakes and the feeling of "finality" I'd say that it's favorite in the series. It's not a perfect movie though, of course, and I'd say that it has more flaws than Catching Fire (my second favorite), including an ending that was pretty silly. And by that I don't mean the resolution to the story/war, but the end, the very last scene. That was really cheesy. But the good in the movie is good enough to still put it at the top for me.

As for the violence, this is definetely the most violent yet. It may have still been toned down from the book, but I still think they managed to include some fairly gritty stuff. Especially one scene that actually made me feel a bit sick.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1455 on: January 07, 2016, 03:03:11 PM »
As for the violence, this is definetely the most violent yet. It may have still been toned down from the book, but I still think they managed to include some fairly gritty stuff. Especially one scene that actually made me feel a bit sick.

I'm guessing either the lizards, the kids, or when dude got melted alive in the sewers.  Was it one of those?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1456 on: January 07, 2016, 06:54:23 PM »
Reservoir Dogs. It was pretty good, but nothing felt too remarkable or special. Out of the 3 Tarantino movies I've watched so far (Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, and this one), this is the weakest in my opinion. Will continue watching more of this guy's films though - I love his style.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1457 on: January 07, 2016, 08:42:43 PM »
Just watched Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story. Crazy stuff. Weird and very well done IMO. Basically the movie is not supposed to be in circulation due to a lawsuit but there are bootlegs floating around. I love Todd Haynes.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1458 on: January 07, 2016, 10:23:20 PM »

I'm guessing either the lizards, the kids, or when dude got melted alive in the sewers.  Was it one of those?

The kids. If that moment is the same in the movie.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1459 on: January 08, 2016, 09:14:59 PM »
The Revenant. Very beautifully made.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1460 on: January 10, 2016, 07:22:54 AM »
Star Wars The Force Awakens.

Really enjoyed the movie. Looking forward to the next parts!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1461 on: January 10, 2016, 07:34:26 AM »
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo 

I thought it was really good, but it didn't blow my doors off.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1462 on: January 10, 2016, 07:56:46 AM »

I'm currently reading the book and have it recorded to watch. Did you read the book?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1463 on: January 10, 2016, 08:00:50 AM »

I'm currently reading the book and have it recorded to watch. Did you read the book?

No, but something tells me I'll enjoy it much more. What do you think of the it so far?

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1464 on: January 10, 2016, 08:05:31 AM »

No, but something tells me I'll enjoy it much more. What do you think of the it so far?

I really think things are lost in translation from Swedish to English. There are sections that I just don't understand the point. However, the plot is enticing and I like a good crime mystery. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1465 on: January 10, 2016, 08:11:18 AM »
I don't doubt that at all. I came across the same inconsistencies when I read The Divine Comedy. My cousin read it in Italian. However, when we were discussing certain parts it was almost like we were describing two completely different scenes. Idioms are a common conundrum when it comes to translating between languages.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1466 on: January 10, 2016, 10:15:13 AM »
The american Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was fine, but I liked the swedish version better.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1467 on: January 10, 2016, 10:17:36 AM »
The american Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was fine, but I liked the swedish version better.

Maybe I'll check that out. I do prefer things in their original form, for the most part.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1468 on: January 10, 2016, 12:30:09 PM »
I'll echo Ink's statement that the Swedish version was better; I think it blew the American version out of the water in every way. I didn't enjoy the American version much at all to be honest. I didn't hate it but after seeing the originals...it just felt like a cheap knock-off. Then again the very concept of Hollywood remaking foreign films unless it has a very specific purpose and logical reason barring greed is usually cause for me to write them off and fart in their general direction, especially if it's a relatively newer movie.

RIP DTP.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1469 on: January 10, 2016, 02:12:45 PM »
Zero Dark Thirty

I thought it was pretty good! Jessica Chastain did a great job as the lead.