Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554754 times)

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #1400 on: December 31, 2015, 02:34:49 AM »
Just saw Last Days On Mars, Prometheus anyone? Or more like: Aliens on Mars with space zombies  :mehlin
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1401 on: December 31, 2015, 09:06:11 AM »
Finally watched Ant-Man. Not my favorite of the Marvel films but much better than I thought it was going to be.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1402 on: December 31, 2015, 08:08:58 PM »
Just watched Hateful 8

I personally really liked it, mainly because I love clue, and 10 little indians and plays in general, but with all that being said I can see how people are going to have issues with this movie.

I will admit, the first hour I was hating on it pretty hard, but then in the 2nd hour it won me back when it got excellent. The 3rd hour was solid as well. 

If I had any formal complaints, this thing definitely did not need to be 3 hours long. The entire 1st hour was set up and it was pretty drawn out. Parts of hour 2 and 3 could have been trimmed as well and we could have had a slimmer, and better paced film, but whatever, by the end I walked away happy.

And bravo to Samuel jackson. He stole the show. Oh my god, he had me rolling

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:15:36 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1403 on: December 31, 2015, 09:31:57 PM »
Chronicle - Very, very cool film. It's short, and it just gets straight to the point. If you're looking for a movie with an extremely in-depth story with developed characters, this isn't going to give you that, but rather just a fun and visually cool action flick with some good humor and suspense.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1404 on: December 31, 2015, 09:48:19 PM »
If you're looking for a movie with an extremely in-depth story with developed characters
I was looking for that  >:(
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1405 on: January 01, 2016, 05:57:59 AM »
Just saw the new Macbeth. Visually gorgeous. That was really the highlight for me. The actors were very good, too.
I really want to see that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1406 on: January 01, 2016, 07:04:08 AM »
Daddy's Home.

New Year's tradition with the family is dinner and a movie.  This was the only one really that was appropriate for the entire family (because we'd already seen TFA).  I was pleasantly surprised.  Theatre was actually quite packed.  Some really, REALLY funny scenes.  Best Will Ferrell movie I've seen since Elf.  Check it out if/when it comes to the small screen.  We had Christmas gift movie certificates, so it didn't cost us anything.  Not sure I'd go to the theatre for it if it was on my own dime.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1407 on: January 01, 2016, 09:19:19 AM »
I plan to go to the theater to see 'The Revenant' when it comes out. Looks intriguing....and all in all I like DeCaprio films.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MajorBoobage

« Reply #1408 on: January 01, 2016, 09:20:09 AM »
Gonna watch Knight of Cups today. Dont know what to expect  :corn
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1409 on: January 01, 2016, 09:30:37 AM »
Ant Man.

Better than I thought it would be.  That seems to be a pretty common sentiment regarding this film.  I figured since it was Marvel Universe, it would have similar production values, and I was right.  It was a decent story, not particularly close to the storyline in the comic books, but incorporating many of the important characters and elements, and since I don't read the comic books anyway, it was fine.

Paul Rudd is a guy I've seen in many movies and can never figure out who he is.  I keep thinking he's an Affleck, or a Ryan Somebody, but no, he's Paul Rudd.  Also, I literally spent the entire movie trying to figure out who played the girl, and it was Tauriel.  Oh well.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1410 on: January 01, 2016, 09:57:25 AM »
Just saw the new Macbeth. Visually gorgeous. That was really the highlight for me. The actors were very good, too.

You should! So pretty.

Last night I watched the entire Mildred Pierce five-part HBO series with Kate Winslet, who I adore. Got a little weird at the end but was overall great- the story, the acting, the costumes and 1930s sets. Very well done.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1411 on: January 01, 2016, 11:08:21 AM »

So do I.

Gonna watch Knight of Cups today. Dont know what to expect  :corn

Also really want to see this, have been looking for it for a few months, but no luck yet.

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #1412 on: January 01, 2016, 03:14:01 PM »
The Thin Man.
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1413 on: January 02, 2016, 09:18:53 AM »
Ella Enchanted... because Anne Hathaway

And right now watching American Sniper again

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1414 on: January 02, 2016, 02:54:09 PM »
Just saw The Revenant. Within the first 5 minutes I was crying. This movie is just beautiful in every way. Visually it might be the best movie I've ever seen. All the acting is brilliant. The story is so powerful. This is my favorite movie of the year without hesitation. It's probably one of my favorite movies ever.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1415 on: January 02, 2016, 03:10:28 PM »
Niiiiice! I'm definitely hyped to see it and have been really interested in it since it was announced. Looks terribly beautiful and wretched.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1416 on: January 02, 2016, 03:41:48 PM »
I have basically seen every movie that has a chance at an Oscar Best Pic. The Revenant is all that a great movie is. Don't know if a new topic should be started on best of 2015 but I will give mine here in no particular order.

The Revenant
The Martian
Sicario
Mad Max: Fury Road
Room
Spotlight
Hateful Eight
Inside out
The Danish Girl
The Big Short
Ex Machina
Carol

I think the front runner will be Spotlight. Just a film type Oscar voters love. Justly so. This is a tuff year. Lots of great acting, writing and directing that I do not think 1 film will dominate. If right now on a limb I think it will go to Spotlight. But I think Revenant should get it and Dicaprio hands down wins. Bale in The Big Short 2nd.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 03:50:51 PM by The Trooper »

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1417 on: January 02, 2016, 04:08:56 PM »
Top 10 movies of 2015 for me:

1. The Force Awakens
2. Ex Machina
3. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation
4. Mad Max: Fury Road
5. Inside Out
6. The Kingsman: Secret Service
7. Spectre
8. Ant-Man
9. Everest
10. Furious 7

Haven't seen some of the heavy hitters yet like The Hateful Eight (seeing it tomorrow), The Revenant, Sicario and The Martian, but I expect them all to be in this list.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1418 on: January 02, 2016, 04:12:35 PM »
I can not argue with that list Biz. Had to cut many of the ones you mentioned out, but all great. Like I said.Good movie year. Honorable also to Creed and Joy. I tend, for good or bad have a hard time doing these lists. I look at film as Osacr vs. favorites. TFA, Spectre, Ant Man,Kingsman as films I love, but just not Oscar worthy if that makes sense. Why I think Mad Max, although a GREAT film will suffer in Oscars. Just not "their" type film but without a doubt one of the best this year. I would love to see it at least nominated.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 04:19:15 PM by The Trooper »

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1419 on: January 02, 2016, 04:45:09 PM »
Forgot about Creed, that's another I want to really see.

Yeah, sometimes I notice people will praise a movie just because it's Oscar-worthy, and many of my favorite films never had an Oscar mention, and that's fine by me.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1420 on: January 02, 2016, 05:21:47 PM »
Forgot about Creed, that's another I want to really see.

Yeah, sometimes I notice people will praise a movie just because it's Oscar-worthy, and many of my favorite films never had an Oscar mention, and that's fine by me.
I agree. I am not high brow about film. I don't get the oh yeah, the critics say its great so I have to go with it. I look at film as an experience. Example: TFA is the most fun I have had in YEARS. Yet I can see a film like Reverant and go...............Holy Shit. Two different feelings. So who am I to judge to what others like. In all honesty, that is what is great about film.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1421 on: January 02, 2016, 05:32:59 PM »
Too early for me to make a list really. Hateful Eight and Revenant doesn't open here for another 3-4 weeks, and the opportunity to see The Big Short or Spotlight hasn't shown up either. I believe Creed opens at some crazy weird date like March here, and by then I will already have seen a BluRay copy probably, so it's weird.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1422 on: January 02, 2016, 09:24:31 PM »
Revenant not out in my area till the 8th next week.

Looking real forward to it because Ińárritu has made some amazing films.. Of course I've only seen Biutiful and Birdman

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1423 on: January 03, 2016, 03:25:19 AM »
1. The Revenant
2. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
3. The Martian
4. Mad Max: Fury Road
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron
6. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2
7. Kingsman: The Secret Service
8. Sicario
9. Inside Out
10. Spectre

This is my personal top 10, but I think only a few of them will have a nomination. Although, I still have 5 movies on my to-see list, some which might hopefully make it onto the top 10.

- The Hateful Eight
 - Spotlight
 - Bridge of Spies
 - Macbeth
 - Knight of Cups

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1424 on: January 03, 2016, 06:15:08 AM »
After waiting for surely more than a year, I finally got to watch Knight of Cups.

A typical Terrence Malick movie. Trippy, weirdly edited visual poetry with vague voice overs. I always find the story in Malick's movies not to be what's really important, it's more like poetry, it's how it makes you feel and what it says to you personally that matters. In that, the movie does it's job well.

There is very little dialogue, most of the acting is done through looks, and story mostly told through actions. All that makes it a good visual story, but as with most Malick movies, it requires patience. It did feel a bit too long. When I was done, I guessed that it had been on for maybe 2 and a half hours when it was really just an hour fifty. But that's pretty much my only problem with it, other than it being rather diffcult to fully understand, although I do think I get the overall points at least.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #1425 on: January 03, 2016, 04:06:09 PM »
Just saw Brazil, great film!!
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1426 on: January 03, 2016, 06:04:17 PM »
The Hateful Eight. Wow, what a fun movie. I love mystery type stuff, this was awesome. 3 hour film that was interesting all throughout. Thought my goodness it was loud as hell in the theater. :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1427 on: January 03, 2016, 08:23:09 PM »
Ricki and the Flash.

I thought I would like this more than I did.  I don't know why.  It started, it did some stuff, it seemed to be building toward something, then it was over.  Apparently I watched the whole thing, waiting for the story to really get going, and didn't realize that that was all there was.  Decent cover music, I guess.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1428 on: January 04, 2016, 08:55:42 AM »
Watched Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation last night.  Very entertaining film, can't wait for the next one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1429 on: January 04, 2016, 09:25:30 AM »
I liked that one. More than 4. Not quite as much as 1 or 3 though.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1430 on: January 04, 2016, 03:03:05 PM »
Concussion.

I enjoyed the experience and thought it was a great movie. I'm not really sure it revealed anything we didn't already know.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1431 on: January 04, 2016, 04:06:03 PM »
I'm watching X-Men: First Class

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #1432 on: January 04, 2016, 06:36:44 PM »
Ant Man.

Better than I thought it would be.  That seems to be a pretty common sentiment regarding this film.  I figured since it was Marvel Universe, it would have similar production values, and I was right.  It was a decent story, not particularly close to the storyline in the comic books, but incorporating many of the important characters and elements, and since I don't read the comic books anyway, it was fine.

Paul Rudd is a guy I've seen in many movies and can never figure out who he is.  I keep thinking he's an Affleck, or a Ryan Somebody, but no, he's Paul Rudd.  Also, I literally spent the entire movie trying to figure out who played the girl, and it was Tauriel.  Oh well.

I just saw it today and I was surprised that it wasn't EXACTLY the same as the past 10 marvel movies!
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1433 on: January 04, 2016, 06:49:53 PM »
Supposedly they try to give each Marvel origin story its own "feel", and this one was indeed pretty different.  I like how there's no two ways about it: Scott Lang is a thief, and a damned good one.  Yeah, he's trying to be better, and it's all for his little girl blah blah blah, but he's a grey character, and that's good.  Pym has his issues as well.

That's not to say that most of the other Marvel flicks aren't pretty similar.  But I do like that they at least try to make them different (not that I'd really noticed).

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1434 on: January 04, 2016, 06:55:54 PM »
Wait till Deadpool.