Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554363 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #1365 on: December 27, 2015, 02:45:49 PM »
Never seen a single Rocky movie. I'm thinking about maybe seeing the first one and Creed, the rest doesn't really interest me.

I have seen Heat though, it was a long time ago but I remember liking it very much.

You have to see Rocky IV along with the first one. The rest I can live without.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1366 on: December 27, 2015, 02:57:30 PM »
Never seen a single Rocky movie. I'm thinking about maybe seeing the first one and Creed, the rest doesn't really interest me.

I have seen Heat though, it was a long time ago but I remember liking it very much.

Ditto on both accounts. I've really started to despise boxing movies. They're so fucking predictable. I watched Southpaw again (with a friend whom hadn't seen it) and hated it and don't know how I liked it to begin with...it really did completely rip off Cinderella Man in so many ways and simply turned it gangster and modern (EMINEM MAKES EVERYTHING BADASS GOTTA GET DAT ADRENALINE GOING GOTTA BE HARDCORE GOTTA BE ROLLIN' YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING YO SHITMANBITCHONESHOT). At least with Rocky the cheese is strong, like a finely aged bleu with an infusion of fantasy due to the ridiculous characters. I might actually like them but I need a break from sports movies for a while. There are so few that aren't completely mapped out, shallow, cut and paste with a hefty side of that immensely pungent drama.

The Martian was really, really good. It was soooo nice to see a space movie that tried its hardest to be as grounded as possible while still embracing a sense of wonder. For as much as I loved Interstellar, the infusion of the alien and the fantasy was by far my least favorite part. I didn't dislike it particularly, but it didn't do any favors for the movie in my eyes. It was truly refreshing to see a modern space film be as straight forward as it can when the topic is a film about a guy living on Mars. No funky fucking creatures, no cosmic happenings, no asinine mysteries knee deep in bullshit...just science stretched out as far as it can go. I enjoyed it immensely.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1367 on: December 27, 2015, 07:32:53 PM »

Ditto on both accounts. I've really started to despise boxing movies. They're so fucking predictable. I watched Southpaw again (with a friend whom hadn't seen it) and hated it and don't know how I liked it to begin with...it really did completely rip off Cinderella Man in so many ways and simply turned it gangster and modern (EMINEM MAKES EVERYTHING BADASS GOTTA GET DAT ADRENALINE GOING GOTTA BE HARDCORE GOTTA BE ROLLIN' YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING YO SHITMANBITCHONESHOT). At least with Rocky the cheese is strong, like a finely aged bleu with an infusion of fantasy due to the ridiculous characters. I might actually like them but I need a break from sports movies for a while. There are so few that aren't completely mapped out, shallow, cut and paste with a hefty side of that immensely pungent drama.

I hate boxing, sports, and the entire genre of sports movies, but the Rocky movies are gold, especially Rocky IV for me. What they're doing in the ring is barely boxing most of the time anyway, and they're a good slice of the 80's.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1368 on: December 27, 2015, 08:55:28 PM »
Well that's all I need to check 'em out. I never really figured they'd be 'sports' movies per se anyway, they seem far more adventurous and ridiculous (in a good way) than the mundane sports stories. The 80's factor has a big part in that too, I think. It's kind of like trying to call The Karate Kid a sports movie...it just doesn't really equate. Cool stuff, I need to add 'em to my list. I wish they were on Netflix, that totally seems like a series that would be on there, and very well could've been at one point and I just missed it...

RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1369 on: December 27, 2015, 10:50:10 PM »
Just saw Hateful Eight and really enjoyed it! Not Tarantino's best but pretty awesome. Great characters, atmosphere, dialogue, music, the usual. Violent but not unbearably so, though definitely some shocking moments. Funny as hell. And sure as hell did not feel like 3+ hours, though I'm glad there was an intermission.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1370 on: December 28, 2015, 06:59:33 AM »
Just saw Hateful Eight and really enjoyed it! Not Tarantino's best but pretty awesome. Great characters, atmosphere, dialogue, music, the usual. Violent but not unbearably so, though definitely some shocking moments. Funny as hell. And sure as hell did not feel like 3+ hours, though I'm glad there was an intermission.
Oh, you saw the 70 mm version with overture and intermission?  Jealous.

Trying to talk my wife into a road trip to see that version.  Closest theater showing it is about 2 hours away.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1371 on: December 28, 2015, 07:34:04 AM »
Saw Cast Away again, still such a fantastic movie, I really didn't realize it was such a long movie with almost 2 1/2 hrs run time. One of the few slower paced movies (apart from plane crash) that really sucked me in the whole time.

In contrast to that also saw Hot Tub Time Machine lol. Silly fun but well done. Enjoyed it quite a bit.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1372 on: December 28, 2015, 09:19:30 AM »
Oh, you saw the 70 mm version with overture and intermission?  Jealous.

Trying to talk my wife into a road trip to see that version.  Closest theater showing it is about 2 hours away.

Road trips are fun! I obviously have no comparison but I think it'd be worth it. The theater showing it here was like 15 minutes from me, so that was awesome.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1373 on: December 28, 2015, 10:41:52 AM »
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MajorBoobage

« Reply #1374 on: December 28, 2015, 11:10:48 AM »
Exodus Gods and Kings again. I really enjoy that movie. Dont understand the shit it has gotten
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1375 on: December 28, 2015, 11:26:40 AM »
I still need to catch that one.

But at least part of the reason it caught shit was from casting a bunch of white stars as Egyptians and Jews.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1376 on: December 28, 2015, 11:43:45 AM »

But at least part of the reason it caught shit was from casting a bunch of white stars as Egyptians and Jews.

Seems legit.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1377 on: December 28, 2015, 12:51:31 PM »
I liked Exodus as well. So much better than Russel Crowe's Noah, which was just so much shit.

Offline MajorBoobage

« Reply #1378 on: December 28, 2015, 01:19:21 PM »
I have no problem with that, its not like im watching a documentary. And acting was great
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1379 on: December 29, 2015, 10:33:02 AM »
Watched Big Hero 6 again last night with the fam.  Very good film.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1380 on: December 29, 2015, 01:37:48 PM »
I have no problem with that, its not like im watching a documentary. And acting was great

:facepalm:

I know this isn't PR, but seriously? You don't see how that might be considered racist?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1381 on: December 29, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »

You think they'd be used to it by now after people used a white man as a Jew from the Middle East.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1382 on: December 29, 2015, 02:27:12 PM »
I C WAT U DID THAIR

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1383 on: December 29, 2015, 02:37:41 PM »
On one hand, a small (minuscule) part of me wants to play devil's advocate and say 'hey, maybe they honestly couldn't find a person of said race that could act'. But there's just no way, and somehow the choice of actors they did end up choosing leads me to believe it was a combination of utter laziness, simple marketing and 'this hunk will make us more money'. But y'know, when I went to see Star Wars, the Gods of Egypt trailer played and holy fucking shit it looks so ridiculously bad and disgustingly predictable (I am so sick of Gerard Butler by now that I just want him to go away). I don't have to see the movie to know every single action scene, every fucking speech (really? Still milking that '300' speech, huh? Got DAYUM), every predictable, done-one-thousand-times-before CGI monster... It's just all around abysmal. Same for the others mentioned; they're shit made by people with dollar signs oozing out of every pore. So the shit choices in casting, the idea that they more than likely didn't even for one second think 'damn, maybe we should get the right races to portray these people', is not even a stretch; the stretch would be that they put any kind of considering into it. Dollars to doughnuts that thought didn't even come close to entering the equation in any serious fashion or even at all.

In the grand scheme of things it's not like this is some huge issue that's hurting tons of people (there are obviously a lot more serious concerns where racism is prominent), but it's just the fact that...it does eventually hurt someone; I don't have any doubts that there are plenty of good actors of the respective races that could've brought something to the film to at least make it not quite as shitty (though in the end, I'm honestly not too worked up over these specific films because they're horrible and would probably do more harm than good to the actors, but it's the trend that's bad). There is just no way that the people behind the films are that ignorant. There is a near certainty that they're that big of dirty assholes and are just that greedy. There are so many of these films now that it's ridiculous, and nearly every one is just so horrible.

I don't know what it is Hollywood is on about now, but the Egyptian culture, stories and mythology is being bludgeoned to death in the past couple years.

RIP DTP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1384 on: December 29, 2015, 02:46:52 PM »
Well, here's the thing.  Director Ridley Scott was criticized about the "whitewashing" of the story when it was released, and he said "I can't mount a film of this budget...and say that my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such...I'm just not going to get financed." 

So, to make the movie at the scale and budget that it required, he HAD to use recognizable white actors.  Being more authentic with it would have meant the film couldn't be financed, and couldn't get made at all.

Sad, but apparently true.

Offline MajorBoobage

« Reply #1385 on: December 29, 2015, 03:53:48 PM »

:facepalm:

I know this isn't PR, but seriously? You don't see how that might be considered racist?

Of course you can. You can find racism anywhere if you look it that way. But come on, its a hollywood movie. Hollywood, there is nothing sacred.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1386 on: December 29, 2015, 04:20:56 PM »

It wasn't that good. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1387 on: December 29, 2015, 04:28:13 PM »
Well, here's the thing.  Director Ridley Scott was criticized about the "whitewashing" of the story when it was released, and he said "I can't mount a film of this budget...and say that my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such...I'm just not going to get financed." 

So, to make the movie at the scale and budget that it required, he HAD to use recognizable white actors.  Being more authentic with it would have meant the film couldn't be financed, and couldn't get made at all.

Sad, but apparently true.

Ah... I can see that kind of shittiness being true.

I can also see the world being perfectly fine without this movie. Which I thought was pretty much a boring trainwreck. To their credit, it does take some work to make a trainwreck boring.

RIP DTP.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1388 on: December 29, 2015, 05:49:10 PM »
HBO keeps playing Game of Thrones so I'm drawn in by that. Someone recommend a movie to me that's on Netflix.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1389 on: December 30, 2015, 06:57:36 AM »
HBO keeps playing Game of Thrones so I'm drawn in by that. Someone recommend a movie to me that's on Netflix.
Big Trouble in Little China.  It's my go-to recommendation.

Of course, you've probably already seen it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1390 on: December 30, 2015, 07:18:19 AM »
L.A Confidential
In Burges

My top 2 movies of all time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1391 on: December 30, 2015, 12:01:41 PM »
I've seen Big Trouble multiple times.  My brother and father always watched it when I was on. I have to admit it was never one of my favorite movies.

L.A. Confidential is a great great movie. There's so much win in that movie. Everything from the actors to the plot to the time period and soundtrack. I've never seen In Bruges though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1392 on: December 30, 2015, 12:48:40 PM »
I've seen Big Trouble multiple times.  My brother and father always watched it when I was on. I have to admit it was never one of my favorite movies.
:sadpanda:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1393 on: December 30, 2015, 01:09:49 PM »

I know. It's not as bad as me not caring about Star Wars. :hides:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1394 on: December 30, 2015, 01:13:50 PM »

Double :sadpanda:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1395 on: December 30, 2015, 02:10:50 PM »

YOU SHUT YOUR FILTHY WHORE MOUTH

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1396 on: December 30, 2015, 06:25:05 PM »

YOU SHUT YOUR FILTHY WHORE MOUTH

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1397 on: December 30, 2015, 06:28:17 PM »
Finally saw Spectre last night.   Craig's monotone expression is getting a bit tired for me , but on the whole I thought it was an enjoyable movie.  Not as good as Skyfall but still good.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #1398 on: December 30, 2015, 08:10:08 PM »
Shallow Hal with Jack Black.
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1399 on: December 30, 2015, 11:08:18 PM »
Just saw the new Macbeth. Visually gorgeous. That was really the highlight for me. The actors were very good, too.