Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554512 times)

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #1330 on: December 23, 2015, 10:34:18 PM »
Mockingjay part 1
Insergant
The maze runner
Unbroken
The kings speech
And.....

....The Force Awakens last night!
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline adace

« Reply #1331 on: December 24, 2015, 03:27:37 AM »
Just watched Hateful Eight and I don't think much of it.

The main problem for me is that the ending doesn't deliver much of anything except a feeling of disappointment. Without spoiling too much, it's just another typical Tarantino descent into senseless, gimmicky violence, which wouldn't be so bad if the story had a point to it but sadly it doesn't really seem to.

I like Tarantino's ability to create atmosphere, compelling action scenes and memorable characters but when it comes to the overall story his films are pretty shallow to me.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1332 on: December 24, 2015, 03:33:26 AM »
Ah, yes I saw Days of Future Past, I forgot about that. Haven't seen any of the Hunger Games movies, are they good?

I thought the first one was okay, but I think the three others were mostly awesome.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1333 on: December 24, 2015, 06:05:12 AM »
Yup. That's some good acting. Damn  :lol

I related to the part when they were going back and forth about the different meds they had tried and the zombifying effect it had on them. I've tried all of those, plus others, and it really gives you a completely detached feeling from yourself. I stopped all of them for various reasons.

I'll try and find another JL movie to watch this weekend.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1334 on: December 24, 2015, 07:03:58 AM »
I never got around to watching SLP. I really wanted to see that when it came out, and even though I still hear all these great things about it my will to see is just lost by now.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1335 on: December 24, 2015, 10:15:48 AM »
I'll probably watch Winter's Bone next.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1336 on: December 24, 2015, 10:56:46 AM »
Just saw Goodfellas for the first time. While it was certainly good, my main impression of the movie is that it was annoying. Everyone was annoying and did annoying things. So yeah, good movie, but not as super fantastic as everyone seems to think.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1337 on: December 24, 2015, 11:24:15 AM »
Just saw Goodfellas for the first time. While it was certainly good, my main impression of the movie is that it was annoying. Everyone was annoying and did annoying things. So yeah, good movie, but not as super fantastic as everyone seems to think.

I don't know how to process that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1338 on: December 24, 2015, 11:25:35 AM »

Same here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1339 on: December 24, 2015, 12:19:58 PM »

Same here.
Same here.

Watched Blue Ruin, interesting movie, cool story.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1340 on: December 24, 2015, 10:03:36 PM »
Jen Law is great in the movie Joy. Thing about her is she is a great actress and any interview you see her in, she is just so down to earth.

And regarding Goodfellas.......................I too cant process someone not thinking it is a masterpiece in filmmaking.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1341 on: December 24, 2015, 10:11:58 PM »
Jen Law is great in the movie Joy. Thing about her is she is a great actress and any interview you see her in, she is just so down to earth.

And regarding Goodfellas.......................I too cant process someone not thinking it is a masterpiece in filmmaking.

I really want to see Joy, and yes, she seems like such an awesome person.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1342 on: December 25, 2015, 02:59:16 AM »

The acting was awesome, the directing was fantastic. I just felt that things the characters said and did annoyed me, and the story felt a bit jumbled. So while I did certainly like it, it's probably my least favorite Scorsese movie I've seen.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1343 on: December 25, 2015, 06:54:00 AM »

Go get your shine box.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1344 on: December 25, 2015, 07:04:19 AM »
I think Goodfellas deserves its good reputation even if it's not one of my own personal favorites. The only thing I remember being annoying is Joe Pesci, but that's kinda the point isn't it? Whether it's in Goodfellas or Lethal Weapon, Joe Pesci is doing his thing, which is being annoying, but he's great at it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1345 on: December 25, 2015, 07:10:08 AM »
Tommy was annoying, which was definetely the point. But Karen annoyed me too, Jimmy annoyed me at times, Henry too, and the shoe-shine guy annoyed me, the guy who kept asking for his money annoyed me. I get the reason for all of it, sometimes comedy, sometimes it's supposed to be an annoying character, but eventually it just got to the point where everyone was unlikable and I was just bothered all the time.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1346 on: December 25, 2015, 09:28:47 AM »
I guess I can understand what you mean, but to me they're all kind of assholes and you still like them  :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1347 on: December 25, 2015, 09:29:53 AM »
I have to agree with BlackInk.  While I can see why so many people like it, it was basically a movie filled with unlikeable characters doing annoying things.  There were a number of scenes that I thought were well done, and the characters were certainly well-defined and well fleshed out, but overall I just didn't find myself rooting for anyone.  I was watching a bunch of loud-mouthed crooks doing shitty things, and karma finally caught up with them.

Compare that to The Godfather, which also features guys working above/outside the law, but with recurring themes of family, honor, and loyalty.  A lot of it was more cerebral and didn't spell things out for you, thus making you think more about characters and motivations and thus drawing you into the story.

My impression is that most people are drawn to one of these movies more than the other.  I'm more of a Godfather guy than a Goodfellas guy.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1348 on: December 25, 2015, 10:45:55 AM »
I haven't seen the Godfather movies in soo long, so I can't really choose one or the other until I've rewatched those films. I'll have to do that soon.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1349 on: December 25, 2015, 09:48:20 PM »
12 Years a Slave - didn't like it..

Terminator: Genisys - did like it, a lot..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1350 on: December 26, 2015, 05:11:10 AM »

Watched maybe 10-20 minutes, then I turned it off. I'm sure it's brilliantly acted and a well made movie. But there's limit to how much misery I will sit through before I just don't enjoy it anymore, and I got the feeling this was going to be one of those movies. Never intended to give it another try.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1351 on: December 26, 2015, 08:54:36 AM »

Watched maybe 10-20 minutes, then I turned it off. I'm sure it's brilliantly acted and a well made movie. But there's limit to how much misery I will sit through before I just don't enjoy it anymore, and I got the feeling this was going to be one of those movies. Never intended to give it another try.

Well, you did good.. I mean, yeah, the plot is interesting.. But the movie didn't let me any new message or emotion that I haven't experience before watching similar movies.. I'm ok with the movie winning the oscar, but that's probably because I've already understand how they choose the winners there, and the film does accomplish the commonplace and being well shot criteria.. Also, as you mentioned, the actors are great.. But besides that, nothing to recommend about it..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1352 on: December 26, 2015, 11:23:42 AM »
I watched Hesher last night and really enjoyed it. Hadn't even heard of it before seeing it at the video store, but it has Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Natalie Portman so I had to bite. I would definitely recommend it, sort of a dark comedy. Sad at times but extremely funny as well.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1353 on: December 26, 2015, 02:26:10 PM »
I loved the shit out of Hesher, one of my favorite roles of JGL. I saw a few trailers for it before it came out but holy shit did they butcher what the movie really was. Portrayed it as more of an in-your-face, rebel metal-fest of angst instead of the more indie comedic-drama (with small portions of metal angst sprinkled lovingly in between) that it was. I really hate when companies do that... Like, it's clearly not going to be a blockbuster film, why try and sell it as such? Just go with it. But it turned out great and surprised me because of it so I'm glad I took the chance to see it.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1354 on: December 27, 2015, 01:54:48 AM »
It does not surprise me that they marketed it that way. I can just see/hear the trailers now without even looking  :lol
JGL was amazing (and FUCKING HOT all metaled out), Portman was great as usual, the kid was really good, I loved the grandma, and Rainn Wilson did a good job of not having much of a presence like he was supposed to. Really well done and enjoyable. Oh man, the scene where the kid kicks him in the balls  :lol

Today I made this guy watch the Star Wars Holiday Special (HAPPY LIFE DAY EVERYBODY) and then we watched Heat, which I had surprisingly never seen. It was great, especially Pacino. It felt a bit long but not almost-three-hours long so I'll give it props for that. Maybe a bit less of all the shooting- that stuff gets boring for me. Overall very well done, good stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1355 on: December 27, 2015, 07:19:58 AM »
Heat is my favorite movie of all time.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1356 on: December 27, 2015, 07:26:23 AM »
A Million Ways to Die in the West

I can see why this movie was compared to Blazing Saddles.  In a way, it's a successor to that kind of film.  In the 70's Blazing Saddles pushed boundaries and a lot of hot buttons, and this movie does the same for the next generation.  It also features rapid-fire gags, some of which go way over the top, some of which will fall flat, and most will land somewhere in the middle.  I think the idea is that if even 1/4 or 1/3 of the jokes work, you're laughing a lot, so even if a lot of it doesn't work for you, you've laughed enough to where you consider it funny.  It is indeed a spiritual successor to the Western parody, whether or not one considers Seth MacFarlane a worthy successor to Mel Brooks.

That is a very long-winded way to say that I laughed a lot, found a lot of it way over the top, found a lot of it stupid and disgusting, and even though I was quite entertained, I don't feel the need to see it again.  There is such thing as too much.  I'd recommend people seeing it once, but after that, it's up to them.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1357 on: December 27, 2015, 08:07:36 AM »

Not a bad choice at all. Watched that for the first time several months ago and loved it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1358 on: December 27, 2015, 08:10:49 AM »
Finally watched Rocky III for the first time last night. Classic. Hulk Hogan, Mr T pitying fools, Eye of the Tiger, homoerotic interracial training montages, what more could you want?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1359 on: December 27, 2015, 08:12:41 AM »
Finally watched Rocky III for the first time last night. Classic. Hulk Hogan, Mr T pitying fools, Eye of the Tiger, homoerotic interracial training montages, what more could you want?

For the longest time, they never showed that movie on TV.  1, 2,4 & 5but until recently,  they never played it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1360 on: December 27, 2015, 08:15:58 AM »

For the longest time, they never showed that movie on TV.  1, 2,4 & 5but until recently,  they never played it.

I wonder why? If you have to suffer through Rocky 5, the least they can do is give you every movie before it!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1361 on: December 27, 2015, 08:33:04 AM »
I had no answers.   I bitched about it for years now they always play it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1362 on: December 27, 2015, 08:52:03 AM »

Nice.  It would be in my top 20 non-comedic films (it's hard to rank comedies next to every other kind of movie).

Huh?  I've seen III a million times on TV over the years.

Mr. T is still awesome every time I see it.  So many great one-liners.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1363 on: December 27, 2015, 11:19:07 AM »

Yeah, it's so damn loved I'm surprised it took me this long to see, but glad I did! I also can see why it was in the film noir section of the video store, especially with so many scenes of people standing in the dark talking dramatically with cheesy music playing :lol

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1364 on: December 27, 2015, 02:30:14 PM »
Never seen a single Rocky movie. I'm thinking about maybe seeing the first one and Creed, the rest doesn't really interest me.

I have seen Heat though, it was a long time ago but I remember liking it very much.