Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554509 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #945 on: October 02, 2015, 08:44:33 AM »
I'm very interested in The Martian. Will hopefully get to see it soon.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #946 on: October 02, 2015, 10:07:13 AM »
Mark Kermode said it's the best Ridley Scott film in a long time.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #947 on: October 02, 2015, 11:16:05 AM »
Very positive reviews initially for The Martian so I'm very curious to see it now. Hopefully I can catch it on the Sunday.

Also finally finished all the Fast and Furious movies by watching the 7th one last night. I think it was the best of the series. Amazing stunts even though they're way over the top, they're still really cool to look at. I honestly didn't think I'd enjoy these movies as much as I thought I would. I resisted watching them for the longest time and now I'm glad I watched them all. Apart from the 2nd movie which was definitely the worst I enjoyed all others quite a bit.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #948 on: October 02, 2015, 12:44:07 PM »
I saw The Walk last night. I live/grew up in Jersey with a view of the NY skyline. and as an old fart remember when it  took place .Maybe it is just me,but growing up seeing the towers being built, that Walk, and events after as we all know and I lost a good bud on 9/11. It just kind of hit me. I know that may sound odd. Anyway. It is a great movie. It does get a bit tedious, but well worth seeing. JGL is great in it and it may get him an Oscar nomination.

Also saw The Martian. Good movie, not great, kinda felt long and predictable.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #949 on: October 02, 2015, 01:33:24 PM »
Just saw 'Coherence' from 2013. Waaaaaat...

Really tense, very intriguing, confusing. It's really hard to describe, but I definetely think you should see it. The acting was very different too. Very natural, well formed and real characters. Excellent dialogue, almost seems improvised at times.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #950 on: October 02, 2015, 01:37:48 PM »
I posted a while back when I saw it that it was one of my favorite sci/fi films of all time right off the bat. It still is after my third viewing. I love it so damn much! It's a movie that really doesn't seem like it'd be all that tense, but there's a few moments that shook me to the core just out of the sheer beautiful atmosphere they create and the tension between the characters and their reactions. Any fan of the genre absolutely needs to check it out. That was my exact reaction after finishing it...just a....wh-...whaaaaaatTHEFUCK!?  :lol Really awesome movie. I think I'm gonna watch it again tonight.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: October 02, 2015, 01:39:25 PM »
Just got in from The Martian .

Great fun. Engaging throughout it's 135 minutes. Never depressingly bleak. It's a bit like Castaway in space. Obviously great visually and good pacing.

A lot more fun (and much better) than Prometheus.

For starters it has a script ! ;D

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #952 on: October 02, 2015, 01:46:09 PM »
Noice! I loved the book and am not one of those people who is hoping that the movie is going to replicate it, so I think I'll really enjoy it. Sadly with the beginnings of Strep, I probably won't make it for a while and might have to end up watching it at home given my schedule after this week. But it's good to hear it was well done.

RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #953 on: October 02, 2015, 01:48:53 PM »
Visually it's obviously very similar to Prometheus. But that's to be expected.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #954 on: October 02, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »
I liked Prometheus well enough and a lot of that is because of the visuals and the atmosphere created, so that's really good to hear on my end.

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #955 on: October 02, 2015, 01:56:16 PM »
I posted a while back when I saw it that it was one of my favorite sci/fi films of all time right off the bat. It still is after my third viewing. I love it so damn much! It's a movie that really doesn't seem like it'd be all that tense, but there's a few moments that shook me to the core just out of the sheer beautiful atmosphere they create and the tension between the characters and their reactions. Any fan of the genre absolutely needs to check it out. That was my exact reaction after finishing it...just a....wh-...whaaaaaatTHEFUCK!?  :lol Really awesome movie. I think I'm gonna watch it again tonight.

For me it was pretty tense right from the beginning. Not because of what was happening on screen, more because of the editing and the fact that the entire movie is filmed with hand held cam. That and the subtle music they had just really created a creepy and eerie atmosphere. So much so that I actually thought for a while that I was watching a horror movie and had to check which genres it was labled with on IMDb.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #956 on: October 02, 2015, 02:36:01 PM »
Well I meant more from what I had seen in trailers and what I read about it, but yeah I got the same feeling pretty much from the get go. A friend told me about it and it didn't sound all that scary but I was taken aback by how creeped out I was. Creepy and eerie are great descriptors for it.

RIP DTP.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #957 on: October 02, 2015, 03:39:52 PM »
I just watched Fast & Furious 7. Ridiculously over the top, but I thought it was fun.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #958 on: October 02, 2015, 03:57:36 PM »
What a coinkydink! I was literally about to post my thoughts on it and saw your post. I thought the same. Absolutely nuts and ridiculous, yet not bad ridiculousness, just completely over the top. It was a good send off for the late Walker, and I'm gonna miss seeing that guy so very much... I really enjoyed his presence in his movies, even the few I've seen outside of the F&F franchise. He just seemed to always have this way about him that was just really nice. I won't turn this into a mourning thread, but the movie itself did seem to be a great way to say goodbye. Got a bit choked up at times for sure. Other than that massive part of the film though, it was just some good high octane fun.

As for the new trilogy...I really doubt I'll be much into it, but I'll definitely have to check them out way down the line one boring day.

RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #959 on: October 03, 2015, 02:53:43 AM »
Agnes of God. Pretty good! I want to dress up as a bloody nun for Halloween now...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #960 on: October 03, 2015, 03:47:27 AM »
The Martian - It was really good. :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: October 03, 2015, 08:39:50 AM »
The Martian - It was really good. :)

Yeah I was thinking it would be depressing and bleak but it was more like an adventure film.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #962 on: October 03, 2015, 04:20:24 PM »
Watched it last night. Ridley Scott is finally back to form! Look what happens when he has a good script to work with! Hopefully someone wrote a GREAT script for him for Alien: Paradise Lost....still don't know how I feel about that title.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #963 on: October 03, 2015, 05:24:29 PM »
Insidious 3, god damn! What a godawful movie.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #964 on: October 03, 2015, 07:59:54 PM »
Logan's run

Wow. That was pretty wild

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #965 on: October 03, 2015, 08:58:38 PM »
Snowpiercer

I heard it was a great movie, or at least very good, but I just couldn't get past how incredibly bad it was.  The premise is absurd, the story is absurd, the acting is horrible, and on top of all that, they throw in many, many scenes that I'm assuming are supposed to be cool or visually striking or something, but instead they too were just absurd.  Really, just about everything about this movie was completely stupid.

The symbolism.  Yeah, okay, fine.  The train was a metaphor for the human condition or something.  That doesn't excuse two hours of totally stupid shit.  I kept waiting for some kind of explanation for the stupid shit that had happened, but instead they just zipped right along to the next stupid scene that didn't make any sense either.

A couple of slightly interesting concepts executed very badly, and a bunch of far less interesting concepts also executed very badly.

1 derailed train out of 10.  Would not watch again, would not recommend, would not accept free copy of the movie if handed one and currently in need of a coaster.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #966 on: October 03, 2015, 10:05:04 PM »
Whoa... Damn, bro. To each their own!

RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #967 on: October 04, 2015, 12:34:32 AM »
 :lol, I haven't seen it yet so I have no comment, but that review made me laugh.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #968 on: October 04, 2015, 01:48:07 AM »
I thought Snowpiercer was great. I get not liking the scenes or the story or whatever, but how was the acting "horrible"? I thought everyone did just fine.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #969 on: October 04, 2015, 07:21:17 AM »
Snowpiercer

I heard it was a great movie, or at least very good, but I just couldn't get past how incredibly bad it was.  The premise is absurd, the story is absurd, the acting is horrible, and on top of all that, they throw in many, many scenes that I'm assuming are supposed to be cool or visually striking or something, but instead they too were just absurd.  Really, just about everything about this movie was completely stupid.

The symbolism.  Yeah, okay, fine.  The train was a metaphor for the human condition or something.  That doesn't excuse two hours of totally stupid shit.  I kept waiting for some kind of explanation for the stupid shit that had happened, but instead they just zipped right along to the next stupid scene that didn't make any sense either.

A couple of slightly interesting concepts executed very badly, and a bunch of far less interesting concepts also executed very badly.

1 derailed train out of 10.  Would not watch again, would not recommend, would not accept free copy of the movie if handed one and currently in need of a coaster.

I actually enjoyed the movie, because I love trains and post-apocalyptic settings, and something that combines those is always going to be enjoyable to me on some level. But still, I really agree with the bolded part. Symbolism is all well and good, but for it to work, the story, and especially the choices made by the characters, have to make sense without knowing what it symbolizes. The movie felt it was trying really hard to be "deep" and "meaningful," but somehow forgot to actually make sense outside the context of its own brilliant symbolism.

So I'm kinda mixed on the movie, personally. Some really neat ideas, some really cool visuals, but the story just really does not work.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #970 on: October 04, 2015, 07:49:39 AM »
Finally saw Avengers: Age of Ultron. Pretty good movie overall, though I think the story could've used a little more substance. And I really wished Loki was there lol. I think the honest trailer mostly shares my views on the movie. It was still very enjoyable. I'd give it 7.5/10.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #971 on: October 04, 2015, 08:05:32 AM »
I love trains, and I like sci-fi.  The post-apocalyptic thing has been done so many times that it's practically a subgenre of its own, but I kinda liked the idea here.  We thought we had the solution to global warming, but we fucked up and basically sent our world into an ice age instead.  Right, because they're going to implement this solution on a global scale on just the theory and word of a handful of scientists, without testing it small scale first or anything.  Okay, so much for a new, intelligent idea.  Well, it was new anyway.

And the train has been on this track non-stop for 18 years?  When is maintenance on the track done, and by whom?

Also, we saw -- in fact, they made a point of showing -- several instances where the train "pierced" through mountainside sections of track that had been completely frozen, usually knocking the train off its wheels.  That's completely stupid.  If the impact is enough to knock the train up off its wheels like that, it is incredibly close to derailing.  It simply defies logic that the train has been crashing through these blockages for 18 years, often getting knocked off balance, and has not had a catastrophic collision.  Several collisions that we saw just during the length of the film translates to hundreds if not thousands of "close calls".  And not a single actual derailment?  No.  Just no.

They passed through party cars, school cars, pool cars, nightclub cars... where do all these people live?  It seems that the upper-class folk literally spend every moment "out" somewhere.

They opened one "gate" and it was the Oh Shit gate.  An army of dudes with hatchets and axes.  You know, large weighted blades on handles.  Against the tail section guys with pipes and other blunt objects.  How did this battle last more than a few minutes?  Seriously, the tail section guys with their rocks and pointed sticks managed to disarm enough of the guys with axes to actually make a fight out of it?  And they nearly won?  Please.

I'm sorry, but it was one stupid scene after another, and never any explanation.  Yes, there was exposition; that's not the same as explaining what we saw happening.

Okay, the acting was not always horrible.  Sometimes it was slightly less than over-the-top and clichéd.  Maybe it was because I was taken out of the movie so early by the sheer idiocy of the premise and its execution that I couldn't help seeing the acting as acting.  I never bought any of the characters; they were all caricatures.  The leader guy did things the leader guy does, gets upset all the times the leader guy should get upset, makes mistakes leaders often make.  The underlings did their parts, too.  They fought, they died, in all the ways they were supposed to.  The heroic sacrifice by the number two guy.  The revelation that the most trusted adviser was in fact working for the other side.  Because none of that has ever been done before.

The final confrontation with Wilford was actually good.  His explaining how everything was according to plan, the only way it could possibly be, and how he and Curtis were actually the same.  Both filling a niche, serving a purpose, doing what needed to be done.  Which is why Curtis was chosen to replace Wilford.  It all made sense, and had the side-effect of explaining why everything up to that point was so formulaic and made me think for a moment that maybe the whole thing was tongue-in-cheek and I'd been watching the movie wrong for two hours.  Then Curtis chose to throw it away and they crashed the train instead.  Um... okay?  That's the solution here?  Destroy the ark with the last remnants of the human race, because you don't like what you found out about how it all works, how it has to work?

And then... a polar bear!

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #972 on: October 04, 2015, 09:37:04 AM »
I definitely expected more out of snowpiercer. I was going along with it up till ending.

Spoiler for anyone who cares

And Those two kids died in the snow like an hour after they got out of the train. Totally surround by snow on a mountain.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 09:47:16 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #973 on: October 04, 2015, 12:10:39 PM »
Finally saw Avengers: Age of Ultron. Pretty good movie overall, though I think the story could've used a little more substance. And I really wished Loki was there lol. I think the honest trailer mostly shares my views on the movie. It was still very enjoyable. I'd give it 7.5/10.

Gawwwwd so much! I was actually really disappointed he didn't make ANY appearance in the movie. I was under the impression that some scenes got cut but one of the only characters with some development and depth was absent entirely... It's not like I watch the films for an in depth analysis on the characters but he's one of the few that was truly well developed and is so interesting; you never know if he's going to help or fuck you over.  :rollin I really hope they bring him back for films in the future. Funny enough I never cared all that much for the actual Thor films aside from Loki, but if he's given a big role in Ragnarok, that'll be enough for me to get excited. I'd love to see him in future team-up movies, although I'm not holding my breath.

RIP DTP.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #974 on: October 04, 2015, 12:41:31 PM »
Don't know why you guys wanted/expected Loki in the film, he's currently playing his facade as the king of Asgard (oops spoilers for Thor: The Dark World)
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #975 on: October 04, 2015, 12:58:18 PM »
Er...I explained why I wanted him in the movie...and like I said, I haven't been into either Thor film so I really don't remember jack shit about either of them till prompted or I look it up. Also, I expected at least something (if ever so small) because he actually was in the movie...it's just that his scene was cut.

But okay!!

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #976 on: October 04, 2015, 03:12:04 PM »
I think they actually did film a short Loki scene for AoU, but like you said, it was cut from the final movie.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #977 on: October 04, 2015, 03:19:13 PM »
Yeah, that's what I meant. I knew about the scene before the movie came out and somehow missed the news that it was cut, hence my disappointment and expectation of at least seeing him. That's the thing though is even if he's in just one scene, he'll steal it for me; both because I really love Hiddelston as an actor and also cause Loki is the shit.

RIP DTP.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #978 on: October 04, 2015, 05:55:32 PM »
And the train has been on this track non-stop for 18 years?  When is maintenance on the track done, and by whom?

Also, we saw -- in fact, they made a point of showing -- several instances where the train "pierced" through mountainside sections of track that had been completely frozen, usually knocking the train off its wheels.  That's completely stupid.  If the impact is enough to knock the train up off its wheels like that, it is incredibly close to derailing.  It simply defies logic that the train has been crashing through these blockages for 18 years, often getting knocked off balance, and has not had a catastrophic collision.  Several collisions that we saw just during the length of the film translates to hundreds if not thousands of "close calls".  And not a single actual derailment?  No.  Just no.

They passed through party cars, school cars, pool cars, nightclub cars... where do all these people live?  It seems that the upper-class folk literally spend every moment "out" somewhere.

They opened one "gate" and it was the Oh Shit gate.  An army of dudes with hatchets and axes.  You know, large weighted blades on handles.  Against the tail section guys with pipes and other blunt objects.  How did this battle last more than a few minutes?  Seriously, the tail section guys with their rocks and pointed sticks managed to disarm enough of the guys with axes to actually make a fight out of it?  And they nearly won?  Please.

I was a little down on this movie for other reasons but these criticisms seem a little, I dunno, nit-picky? I saw someone else say the whole movie sucked because at the end they ended up finding those parkas and one happened to be a childs size. I completely understand the want of having a movie do a little bit of explaining but it just seems that every little bit of disbelief seemed to rattle you more and more. I'm only confused because you said you enjoy sci-fi and that genre is just riddled with movies and entire concepts of utter disbelief.

I do agree with some of your other criticisms and don't take this post the wrong way as I'm just fascinated sometimes at little things that irk some people about a movie that I had never really thought of or cared about. Trust me, I do the same thing on other TV shows and movies.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #979 on: October 04, 2015, 07:09:00 PM »
I'm fine with movies where it's literally expected to be some crazy dumb fun and you know that going in, but Sci-Fi is different to me, and I expect more out of it.  I have more trouble accepting things I might wave off in another movie, because Sci-Fi is supposed to be "smarter" than that.  To me, anyway.  You're right that there's a lot of bad Sci-Fi out there.  Sometimes I'll have to watch a few less-than-awesome flicks to find one I really like.