Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554297 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #700 on: August 06, 2015, 02:54:51 PM »
 :heart Big Hero 6

Offline faizoff

« Reply #701 on: August 06, 2015, 08:19:59 PM »
Get Hard - Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart. 5/10 some good moments but mostly blah.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #702 on: August 07, 2015, 07:18:31 AM »
Apparently there's a Marvel comics source for all of this, and the movie was a patchwork of concepts and characters from the comics and a spin-off mini-series of some kind, so this is one of those movie that fans of the source material tend not to like, but the general public is fine with.
I'm not sure that there are very many, if any, fans of the source material.  This was a very obscure and short-lived comic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #703 on: August 07, 2015, 10:01:06 AM »
I'd never heard of it, but that's not really a good indicator of... anything, really.  But after seeing a movie, I pretty much always check the IMDb boards and see what people are saying about it, and some were annoyed at all the changes.  Of course.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #704 on: August 07, 2015, 10:34:13 AM »
I'd never heard of it, but that's not really a good indicator of... anything, really.  But after seeing a movie, I pretty much always check the IMDb boards and see what people are saying about it, and some were annoyed at all the changes.  Of course.
The individuals that made those comments are probably the vast worldwide majority of Big Hero 6 comic fans, or posers who never actually read them and just like to piss and moan.

There were definitely a lot of changes, to take it out of the Marvel Universe proper and make it its own thing.  But frankly, the movie was 100 times better than the comics.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #705 on: August 07, 2015, 11:20:37 AM »
Wow, the comics must be really, really bad.  I mean, the movie was entertaining, but the story was a combination of standard clichés and clever twists on standard clichés.  The "big twist" was horrible and does not stand up to any kind of scrutiny.

I say this while emphasizing that I still liked the movie, because it was still entertaining and movies to me are about turning your brain off and just enjoying the ride.  This kind of movie, anyway.  But books, and that includes comic books and graphic novels, are meant to be digested.  You take as much or as little time as you want to immerse yourself in them, and in general, the stories they tell have greater depth but also must withstand greater scrutiny.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #706 on: August 07, 2015, 11:50:22 AM »
Wow, the comics must be really, really bad.  I mean, the movie was entertaining, but the story was a combination of standard clichés and clever twists on standard clichés.  The "big twist" was horrible and does not stand up to any kind of scrutiny.

I say this while emphasizing that I still liked the movie, because it was still entertaining and movies to me are about turning your brain off and just enjoying the ride.  This kind of movie, anyway.  But books, and that includes comic books and graphic novels, are meant to be digested.  You take as much or as little time as you want to immerse yourself in them, and in general, the stories they tell have greater depth but also must withstand greater scrutiny.
Well, it's hard to A-B the film and the books.  The books were OK comics, but the story and many of the characters are vastly different.  Hiro and Baymax are the common elements, but they are still different.

It's not that the film is a better version of the story than the comic.  The film is a better film than the comic is a comic.  The comic is OK at best (which is why it didn't last and is so obscure).  The filmmakers took the characters with real potential and made a pretty good film with them, albeit changing the whole story and leaving out characters with real ties to the Marvel Universe.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #707 on: August 07, 2015, 12:00:15 PM »
That makes sense, and it agrees with everything I've read about the movie.

Filmmakers tend to view source material as exactly that: material which can serve as the basis for a film, or just a source of raw material.  Sometimes the goal is to faithfully adapt it; other times the idea is to just make a good movie.  I don't fault them for what they've done.  I actually find it amusing how the fanboys cry about adapatations that are the second type rather than the first, even if I'm sometimes one of the crying fanboys.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #708 on: August 07, 2015, 12:17:14 PM »
In this instance, the film wouldn't have worked any other way.  The characters in the comics that are more tied to the Marvel Universe are characters whose film rights are owned by Fox, not Disney (they fall under the X-Men wing).

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #709 on: August 07, 2015, 03:38:36 PM »
Just watched Guadians Of The Galaxy for the first time in 6 months. Damn I love this movie!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #710 on: August 07, 2015, 04:28:45 PM »
Fant4Stic - 5/10

If we start with the positives, this movie definitely wasn't as bad as I expected. Still not great, but it could have potentially been a really good movie, but ended up being a 5 or 6 out of 10 at best. The cast was fun and good, I enjoyed a lot of the ideas.

If we talk about negatives, the movie had some problems (both big and small), but a lot of them can be traced back to the shockingly low running time. I mean.. 100 minutes? It definitely felt like 30 minutes were cut out and disappeared somewhere. I didn't mind the end battle as a set piece, but it was completely rushed and came out of nowhere, and in the final version it didn't really work.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #711 on: August 07, 2015, 06:21:07 PM »
Only seen two movies in recent times.

Birdman. It was alright. I can't deny that artistically, it was a brilliantly made film, and I liked the premise, but then didn't enjoy the way the story was done much at all.

Knockin' on Heaven's Door - because not many people will know it: it's a German film from the nineties about two terminally ill men with little time left who decide they want to see the ocean before they die. To get there, they steal a car belonging to gangsters and rob a bank, meaning the police and the mob are after them.

Quite a neat movie. It moves perfectly from fairly low budget but very fun action film carnage, to really gripping scenes to do with their illnesses and approaching deaths.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #712 on: August 07, 2015, 11:46:13 PM »
I think Capone from Aint It Cool News said it best regarding Fantastic 4

"The film is a textbook example of the dangers of hiring young, untested directors who display a spark of creativity when they are allowed to work uninhibited by piles of notes. Either let these filmmakers do the thing that made you want to hire them in the first place or leave them alone. Don't hire them for the vibe; hire them because they have a take on material that might make it interesting."

I haven't seen the film yet...I spent my 12 bucks on my second viewing of M:I Rouge Nation, but from everything that has been coming out about the production this film, this statement is very relevant.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #713 on: August 08, 2015, 12:04:25 AM »
watched "The Bourne Legacy" the other night.

not sure there was a point to the story line.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: August 08, 2015, 01:20:21 AM »
watched "The Bourne Legacy" the other night.

not sure there was a point to the story line.

The previous movie made $$$.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #715 on: August 10, 2015, 12:43:20 AM »
Just watched the Place Beyond the Pines. Great movie, one of those movies that just bubbles with tension, felt like a rock was in my gut the whole time. Loved it.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #716 on: August 10, 2015, 04:35:54 AM »
The Matrix.
Still amazing and a classic movie.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #717 on: August 10, 2015, 06:52:02 AM »
Horrible Bosses 2- Pretty funny but not nearly as good as the first.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #718 on: August 10, 2015, 08:54:27 AM »
Just watched the Place Beyond the Pines. Great movie, one of those movies that just bubbles with tension, felt like a rock was in my gut the whole time. Loved it.
I thought it was a well-made film, but the tension was almost too much.  I didn't feel good about it when I was done, and I will certainly never watch it again.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #719 on: August 10, 2015, 09:15:19 AM »
Gladiator-nothing else needs be said but EPIC. Never gets old

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #720 on: August 10, 2015, 10:41:35 AM »
Mission: Impossible, the first one, with my dad. It holds up pretty well. I like it.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #721 on: August 10, 2015, 05:56:56 PM »
Seven. Movie never gets old, and still has one of the best endings of any movie.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #722 on: August 10, 2015, 08:32:30 PM »
I thought it was a well-made film, but the tension was almost too much.  I didn't feel good about it when I was done, and I will certainly never watch it again.

You didn't feel good about how much tension there was, or about the movie in general?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #723 on: August 11, 2015, 08:57:47 AM »

You didn't feel good about how much tension there was, or about the movie in general?
The movie in general. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #724 on: August 12, 2015, 12:03:21 AM »
I feel like I was the only one to be beyond bored by A Place Beyond the Pines. It still holds the dubious honour of being the only movie that I fell asleep while watching.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #725 on: August 12, 2015, 08:14:09 PM »
Mission: Impossible 2

Say what you want, I think it's a really good movie. Yeah it's far fetched as hell and has some cheesy moments, but it's a really fun movie. I still say it's probably my least favorite of the whole series, but not bad by any means

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #726 on: August 15, 2015, 01:05:39 AM »
Straight Outta Compton. Fantastic flick.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #727 on: August 15, 2015, 06:09:23 AM »
Straight Outta Compton. Fantastic flick.
I want to see it.

We watched Horrible Bosses 2 last night.  Probably not the best idea we ever had.  It was OK, but the guys were so stupid that it was infuriating.  Which I guess is the point, so in that regard, well-done.

But it wasn't as fun as the first one.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #728 on: August 15, 2015, 07:40:26 AM »
How weird is it for Iced Cube to have his son playing him in this movie?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #729 on: August 15, 2015, 07:41:30 AM »
How weird is it for Iced Cube to have his son playing him in this movie?

Considering he's one of the producers on it, he probably handpicked his son himself, or had a lot to do with the decision.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #730 on: August 15, 2015, 07:52:51 AM »
But seeing on screen still has to feel weird, proud all of the above.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #731 on: August 15, 2015, 08:09:21 AM »
Just saw 8 Mile. Good movie. I'm not really a fan of rap music, but I like Eminem's voice and 2 of his tracks. I also have a friend who is like super into the whole battle rapping thing, so I guess I've picked some stuff up. So this was a cool movie.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #732 on: August 16, 2015, 08:23:16 AM »
Just saw Fantastic Four, the new one. I liked it. I don't get why everyone hates it so much. Although I haven't ever read a Fantastic Four comic book, so maybe that has something to do with it. But a 3.9/10 on IMDb? Come on...

Possible spoilers below

It had it's flaws though. The ending felt pretty rushed. I was watching shit go down and I thought "this is a really cool climax to a second act", but no it was the intro to the climax of the movie. So that was a bit disappointing.

Overall this movie is better than both of the old ones. And Doom was really cool. The scene where he escapes the military place is the best scene in the movie. That was pretty freaky at times.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: August 16, 2015, 08:24:48 AM »
The ending is rushed because it reportedly had a ton of re-shoots.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #734 on: August 17, 2015, 01:02:35 AM »
Yeah, rapportedly, something went horribly wrong in the whole writing/directing department. The director wanted to combine the story with a Cronenberg style bodyhorror angle, which the studio probably put a stop to. Things went from bad to worse after that.

Read all about it here:

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/fantastic-four/36561/fantastic-four-more-behind-the-scenes-problems-revealed
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....