Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554496 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #420 on: July 01, 2015, 08:21:27 AM »
If you can't laugh at Jackass the Movie, I think you might have a few screws missing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #421 on: July 01, 2015, 08:48:36 AM »
If you can't laugh at Jackass the Movie, I think you might have a few screws missing.
For most of the film, we were all laughing out loud.  REALLY loud.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #422 on: July 01, 2015, 09:04:26 AM »
You need those stupid films once in a while.  We all need still nonsense to laugh about.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: July 02, 2015, 01:21:52 AM »
First up, we watched The Babadook.  This was a pretty effective horror film.  I really liked the way it was put together (although I wanted to punch that kid in the liver).  Good stuff.

Right?  There was a part of me that was seriously hoping this horror movie might be dark enough for the kid to get killed. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #424 on: July 02, 2015, 01:34:14 AM »
Jaffa, I didn't know you had a dark streak in you. :lol I can only imagine how bad this character must have been for you to find them disagreeable.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: July 02, 2015, 01:44:26 AM »
The word 'brat' has never been so apt. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #426 on: July 02, 2015, 01:45:53 AM »
The kid was annoying as shit in the first half of the movie, but by the end I had pretty much done a full 180 on how I saw him.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #427 on: July 02, 2015, 08:13:17 AM »
First up, we watched The Babadook.  This was a pretty effective horror film.  I really liked the way it was put together (although I wanted to punch that kid in the liver).  Good stuff.

Right?  There was a part of me that was seriously hoping this horror movie might be dark enough for the kid to get killed.
:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #428 on: July 02, 2015, 11:33:01 AM »
Watch the latest (so far) Godzilla.  The one with Elizabeth Olsen as someone's wife and someone else's mom, and some other guy as her husband whose dad was Bryan Cranston, who survived a meltdown at a nuclear power plant and 15 years getting arrested various times only to die just as he got ahold of proof that something exists.  Oops, spoiler alert.  Sorry.  But the movie was really dumb and I don't care and you shouldn't either.

That "something" turned out not to be Godzilla, as most normal people would have guessed, but something else that looks like... shit, I have no idea what it looks like.  But after an hour, Godzilla actually shows up and is on screen a total of eight minutes in two-hour movie, despite being the title character (I looked it up).

I'd read that the one thing that saves this movie is the focus on the monster fights, which of course is what monster movies, especially Godzilla movies, are all about.  Seriously?  Every time they started fighting, the camera would cut away to the people's reactions, or flying planes, or buildings crashing down.  Godzilla would just be grabbing one of the weird-ass looking things and taking a bite when the camera cuts away.  Someone apparently read somewhere that not showing the monster and letting the audience imagine things heightens the suspense and stuff, but didn't get to the part where once the monsters show up and fight, you're supposed to actually show it.

So anyway, it was a two-hour movie supposedly about Godzilla, but it was really about some guy named Ford Brody, his dad Joe, his son Sam, his wife Elle (who looks like Elizabeth Olsen), some random Japanese kid who Ford takes care of during a monster attack but who runs off to his parents later and is never seen or mentioned again, some Japanese scientist (who looks like Ken Watanabe), David Straithairn pretending to be an Army General, two giant weird-ass monsters who get a lot of screen time, and oh yeah Godzilla who gets the least screen time of all.

Nice job setting everything up to actually be realistic and believeable (as much as they can be in a Godzilla movie), but they had a freakin' hour to do it, so I would hope so.  As far as delivering the goods, I'm sorry, but why even call the movie Godzilla?  Why not call it "A Whole Lot of Background and Boring People and Oh Yeah Some Godzilla Too"?  Oh, because that would be too long.  I get it.  So they just called it Godzilla.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #429 on: July 02, 2015, 11:44:07 AM »
I didn't get that reaction at all from that film.  I really enjoyed the buildup of suspense, and the human interaction, and the focus on the effects of giant monsters, and not only on the monsters themselves fighting, as if there would be no effects from that.

I thought it did a great job of avoiding the stupidity of the vast majority of the Godzilla films.  I think it strove to be something more than just "Monster Fights!" because if that's all you bring to the table, there are already 40 movies that do that.

I also liked how it incorporated the earlier appearance of Godzilla from the 50s and explained it with the atomic bomb tests.

I liked it a lot, and I am looking forward to the sequel.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: July 02, 2015, 11:50:26 AM »
I thought it did a great job of avoiding the stupidity of the vast majority of the Godzilla films.  I think it strove to be something more than just "Monster Fights!" because if that's all you bring to the table, there are already 40 movies that do that.

I love all of those other Godzilla films for the big monster fights, but I also loved the different approach here (and I already have 40 movies that do that), and most importantly that buildup and suspense managed to make Godzilla feel new and exciting again, which is quite a feat when you've technically seen it all before so many times.

I did find that the movie didn't translate anywhere near as well onto the small screen as it did in the cinema (I also think the transfer was too dark, so I couldn't make out shit), but I'm excited to see the next one on the big screen. I think it's supposed to have Ghidorah, and I think Mothra and Rodan? Sounds good to me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #431 on: July 02, 2015, 11:52:03 AM »

I love all of those other Godzilla films for the big monster fights, but I also loved the different approach here (and I already have 40 movies that do that), and most importantly that buildup and suspense managed to make Godzilla feel new and exciting again, which is quite a feat when you've technically seen it all before so many times.

I did find that the movie didn't translate anywhere near as well onto the small screen as it did in the cinema (I also think the transfer was too dark, so I couldn't make out shit), but I'm excited to see the next one on the big screen. I think it's supposed to have Ghidorah, and I think Mothra and Rodan? Sounds good to me.
I agree that it was much better on a theater screen.  I caught it again on HBO the other day, and while enjoyable, it wasn't the same.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #432 on: July 02, 2015, 11:59:30 AM »
I liked the buildup for a while, and the explanations and the different approach.  But it went on just a bit too long, and when it did all that, focusing on the people, and then Godzilla literally shows up briefly and solves the people's problem for them, it felt strangely unbalanced.  The movie really was not about Godzilla at all.  If anything, the two MUTOs were the main focus of the movie.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #433 on: July 02, 2015, 12:40:56 PM »
Yeah but no one would pay to see the movie 'MUTOS'.

I liked the movie as well. I didn't love it, as I hoped I would, since this movie had some of the best trailers in history. But it was definetely a good one.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #434 on: July 02, 2015, 01:33:58 PM »
I didn't get that reaction at all from that film.  I really enjoyed the buildup of suspense, and the human interaction, and the focus on the effects of giant monsters, and not only on the monsters themselves fighting, as if there would be no effects from that.

I also liked how it incorporated the earlier appearance of Godzilla from the 50s and explained it with the atomic bomb tests.

I liked it a lot, and I am looking forward to the sequel.

All of this. I do enjoy just all-out monster brawls from time to time, but for re-introducing the Godzilla character for the first time in ages, this was the best possible direction they could have taken it. It maybe could have had better execution, but it was still thoroughly enjoyable throughout.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #435 on: July 02, 2015, 03:42:06 PM »
Ant Man- May be the best from Marvel yet. Truly a good movie. People will be surprised how good it is.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: July 02, 2015, 08:41:08 PM »
The kid was annoying as shit in the first half of the movie, but by the end I had pretty much done a full 180 on how I saw him.

I'm afraid I don't quite share that.  I mean, granted, he was much less annoying in the second half of the movie, but it in no way justified his behavior in the first half of the movie. 

I still love the movie, though. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #437 on: July 02, 2015, 08:41:19 PM »
Terminator Genisys was WAY better than I expected. Enjoyed it a lot more than Jurassic World that's for sure.

Also, I just watched Enemy with Jake Gyllenhaal. God damn that is a crazy movie. It's fantastic.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #438 on: July 02, 2015, 09:14:06 PM »
Watched Spinal Tap again. This movie ages so well.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #439 on: July 02, 2015, 11:44:55 PM »
Chappie.

I have no idea if this movie is supposed to be intentionally campy or just seriousness gone completely the other way. I mean it's like a mesh of Robocop and Pinocchio. There were parts I thought were promising and then parts that were very clunky. After making a movie as tight as District 9 I was taken aback how much this movie lacked cohesiveness. I'd give it a 6/10 I think it looked pretty good even though the story and characterizations suffered immensely. They really didn't set the rules in place for the movie well enough and just jumped around in leaps of logic and plot conveniences at their fancy. Very disappointed, there definitely was a lot of potential.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: July 04, 2015, 09:22:30 AM »
I caught Prometheus on TV just because it happened to be on. Started off average, but went continuously downhill from there. What a waste of a movie.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #441 on: July 04, 2015, 10:03:47 AM »
Really? I enjoyed Prometheus very much, and am really looking forward to a sequel if there'll ever be one.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #442 on: July 04, 2015, 10:43:56 AM »
Really? I enjoyed Prometheus very much, and am really looking forward to a sequel if there'll ever be one.

I liked it as well....and there is a sequel. I know it's written and ready to roll, just don't remember when they are filming it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #443 on: July 04, 2015, 11:08:22 AM »
Prometheus was fascinating because while the premise had some promise the movie succeeded in making me not give a shit about any of the characters.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #444 on: July 04, 2015, 12:12:34 PM »
I recently too watched Prometheus, it's a movie with very interesting ideas and amazing visuals with hollow characters and way too much reliance on forced allegory. Listening to the audio commentaries it's kinda clear that the ideas on paper sounded good but the execution on the screen kinda fell flat at times.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: July 04, 2015, 09:16:15 PM »
I recently too watched Prometheus, it's a movie with very interesting ideas and amazing visuals with hollow characters and way too much reliance on forced allegory. Listening to the audio commentaries it's kinda clear that the ideas on paper sounded good but the execution on the screen kinda fell flat at times.

That, and also the horror/monster thing just makes me instantly lose interest in a show or movie. There were some interesting ideas at the start, but then it just turns into monsters killing people, and some unbelievable over the top action sequences. Not my kind of thing.
And it's like they wanted you to hate most of the characters so you'd be ok with them being killed (and I'm tired of the overused Hollywood idea of the "bad" people getting what's coming to them, but keeping the good guys squeaky clean in the process). And the couple of people I was supposed to care about, I didn't, and they got less and less likeable over the course of the movie.
The few aspects of the movie I was interested in, went pretty much nowhere.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #446 on: July 05, 2015, 07:00:30 AM »
I just saw Blade Runner for the first time. I think it would have had more of an impact if I wasn't already spoiled on pretty much every turn. But it was a good movie, and Roy was different than I expected, which was fun. A very interesting character and performance.

And the scene where Ford's character basically forced himself on Rachel was weird. I don't mind scenes like that, but the way they did it with the music was really conflicting. I didn't know quite what to feel about it, so I just ended up disturbed.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #447 on: July 05, 2015, 12:00:34 PM »
Watched Better Off Dead last night. Love me some young Cusack.

Older Cusack has not been as succesful (or adorable) but am going with a friend to see Love and Mercy in a couple hours, which has been getting good reviews...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #448 on: July 05, 2015, 01:35:04 PM »
Right after finishing Blade Runner I watched Collateral, with Jamie Foxx and Tom Cruise. That was an awesome movie, better than Blade Runner. Very suspenseful and weirdly funny at times.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #449 on: July 05, 2015, 02:09:25 PM »
I feel like I was the only one that thoroughly enjoyed Prometheus. Yeah, it had flaws, but they didn't negatively impact the viewing experience at all for me.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #450 on: July 05, 2015, 04:11:45 PM »
Right after finishing Blade Runner I watched Collateral, with Jamie Foxx and Tom Cruise. That was an awesome movie, better than Blade Runner. Very suspenseful and weirdly funny at times.

Collateral is awesome!

I recently finished Source Code. Fun movie

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: July 05, 2015, 09:33:57 PM »
I just saw Blade Runner for the first time. I think it would have had more of an impact if I wasn't already spoiled on pretty much every turn. But it was a good movie, and Roy was different than I expected, which was fun. A very interesting character and performance.

And the scene where Ford's character basically forced himself on Rachel was weird. I don't mind scenes like that, but the way they did it with the music was really conflicting. I didn't know quite what to feel about it, so I just ended up disturbed.

Much like Prometheus, another scifi movie that I felt didn't live up to its potential at all. I knew nothing about the movie going in, so I didn't have any spoilers or expectations, and I loved the setup with the location and the premise, but then it wallowed for a couple of hours with little happening, then fizzled out to nothing at the end. Very disappointed with that one.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #452 on: July 05, 2015, 11:22:31 PM »
Love & Mercy was great, y'all. I would highly recommend seeing it if you can. It's about Brian Wilson- Paul Dano plays him in the sixties, and John Cusack plays him in the 80's. The music is great, the story is well-told and heartbreaking. I knew Wilson had mental health issues, but didn't know he went through a lot of the stuff portrayed in the movie. Even knowing next to nothing about the Beach Boys, I still really enjoyed this.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #453 on: July 06, 2015, 05:55:02 AM »
Watched Better Off Dead last night. Love me some young Cusack.

I want my 2 Dollars! :metal

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #454 on: July 06, 2015, 06:43:15 PM »
What a little shit, that kid! Also, how do the car and the kid on the bike end up on the baseball field at the end?? I mean, I know it was the eighties but you'd think they'd have some kind of security  :lol