Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554374 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #385 on: June 25, 2015, 02:38:29 PM »
Enter the Void. I expected it to be kinda average but I thoroughly enjoyed it and it's easily one of the most visually appealing movies I've ever seen.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #386 on: June 25, 2015, 07:23:22 PM »
That one was okay. It came to me very hyped-up and I enjoyed it, but not as much as some others I guess.

In the last few days I've watched-

Santa Sangre- Twisted and cool. I really enjoy what I've seen of Jodorowsky's stuff. Wonderful weirdo, that man.

Purple Rain- Oh man, so fucking eighties. The music of course is amazing, and the clothes (and Appolonia- rawr!). Some of the plot/acting had me rolling my eyes.

Ma Mere- What the fuck?

Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #387 on: June 25, 2015, 08:23:35 PM »
That one was okay. It came to me very hyped-up and I enjoyed it, but not as much as some others I guess.
Opposite for me, haha. Most people I know who've seen said it was ambitious and visually appealing but not very good, and I thought the concept wouldn't work well in such a long movie, but I ended up enjoying the whole thing.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #388 on: June 25, 2015, 11:09:19 PM »
A haunted house 2 :facepalm:

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #389 on: June 27, 2015, 10:46:17 PM »
Watched 'Blackhat' tonight....Holy Cow, I'm submitting that may be the worst movie I can recall watching. We spent the last 45 minutes just bagging on it.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #390 on: June 28, 2015, 04:20:08 AM »
Ted 2.   Almost as good as the first one.  We laughed our asses off.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #391 on: June 28, 2015, 05:01:30 AM »
Watched 'Blackhat' tonight....Holy Cow, I'm submitting that may be the worst movie I can recall watching. We spent the last 45 minutes just bagging on it.....
Now see, I watched it and didn't think it was that bad.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: June 28, 2015, 12:19:29 PM »
Now see, I watched it and didn't think it was that bad.

Ooo..I don't know Hef. It was rough. From the acting to the writing to the manner in which it was shot. Second rate IMO which is very odd for a Michael Mann movie.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #393 on: June 28, 2015, 12:20:55 PM »
Ted 2. Funny movie. Morgan Freeman rulez

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #394 on: June 29, 2015, 08:44:14 AM »
Watched And So It Goes over the weekend, a rom-com starring Michael Douglas and Dianne Keaton.  Ordinarily wouldn't care all that much about something like that, but Rob Reiner directed it (and has a part), so it's kind of a must-see for me.

Pretty funny, as expected.  It was worth my time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #395 on: June 29, 2015, 09:30:13 AM »
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: As much as I like the prequel, this one was miles and miles better. What a fantastic movie.

Zodiac: Remains one of my all time favorites. The cast is amazing and it's filmed so well.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #396 on: June 29, 2015, 09:33:13 AM »
I watched the lastest Transformers movie over the weekend. It was alright. I was annoyed by a lot of stuff, but it was far better than the second and third movies.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #397 on: June 29, 2015, 09:39:11 AM »
As stupid as the second and third movies were, the 4th movie set a new low for stupidity from beginning to end. It was an assault on the mind, daring you to try to shut off enough of your brain for it to be watchable without falling into a vegetative state. I'm also convinced at this point that the writer must be a total sociopath.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #398 on: June 29, 2015, 09:40:27 AM »
took the wife and kid to "Inside Out" over the weekend.  Yes, it's as good as most are saying and yes John Ratzenberger is in it.  :smiley:
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #399 on: June 29, 2015, 09:43:01 AM »
As stupid as the second and third movies were, the 4th movie set a new low for stupidity from beginning to end. It was an assault on the mind, daring you to try to shut off enough of your brain for it to be watchable without falling into a vegetative state. I'm also convinced at this point that the writer must be a total sociopath.
I still haven't seen the fourth Transformers. I might never see the fourth Transformers. I'd be okay with that.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #400 on: June 29, 2015, 09:46:15 AM »
I saw the first Transformers, thought it was pretty good.

Saw half of the second, then I turned it off and never went back to any of them.

And isn't the fourth Transformers nearly 3 hours? Damn..

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: June 29, 2015, 09:50:03 AM »

Saw half of the second, then I turned it off and never went back to any of them.

It feels every minute of it. I don't think any of them are exactly short though. The second half of Revenge of the Fallen is much worse than the first half, believe it or not. I enjoyed the third one more, although not because it was any better a film, but it had Leonard Nimoy in it. :blob:
4th one was too much even for the Transformers fanboy in me.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #402 on: June 29, 2015, 10:00:15 AM »

It feels every minute of it. I don't think any of them are exactly short though. The second half of Revenge of the Fallen is much worse than the first half, believe it or not. I enjoyed the third one more, although not because it was any better a film, but it had Leonard Nimoy in it. :blob:
4th one was too much even for the Transformers fanboy in me.

I still genuinely love the first movie.

The thing that really irks me is the human characteristics the robots take on. For example, the one that John Goodman voiced (I think it was him), was a huge/fat autobot with a beard and a cigar in his mouth. If you have the ability to take on any shape, why would you transform into a fatass that has trouble moving around? Stuff like having a cigar in the mouth just seems stupid to me. Stupid enough to actually distract me from all the action happening around the scene.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: June 29, 2015, 10:05:39 AM »

The thing that really irks me is the human characteristics the robots take on. For example, the one that John Goodman voiced (I think it was him), was a huge/fat autobot with a beard and a cigar in his mouth. If you have the ability to take on any shape, why would you transform into a fatass that has trouble moving around? Stuff like having a cigar in the mouth just seems stupid to me. Stupid enough to actually distract me from all the action happening around the scene.

I still quite like the first movie too, and had they improved upon the problems with that movie, it could have been a good series, but instead they ramped up every fault to the max for each later movie.

Why would a robot have a walking stick, or glasses, or a beard? If you really need to force lazy human stereotypes on giant robots to create distinctive characters from a franchise with 20-30 years of characters to draw upon, you're doing it wrong.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #404 on: June 29, 2015, 10:10:38 AM »

Why would a robot have a walking stick, or glasses, or a beard?

Or glod teeth and slang.

Come to think of it... why do the robots have voices anyway? You'd think they wirelessly communicate rather than require speakers and microphones.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: June 29, 2015, 10:18:09 AM »

Why would a robot have a walking stick, or glasses, or a beard?

Or glod teeth and slang.

Come to think of it... why do the robots have voices anyway? You'd think they wirelessly communicate rather than require speakers and microphones.

The Decepticons in the first movie were communicating wirelessly, weren't they? But the Transformers need verbal speech to communicate with humans, and they have adapted their forms for Earth usage.

But mostly it's because it's a movie, and wireless communication isn't very exciting on film, just like realistic hacking and programming would be horribly boring on film, hence the fact that instead they always have a bunch of large screens surrounding them with useless Matrix-y style code and wireframes on them, and mash at the keyboard frantically.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #406 on: June 29, 2015, 10:27:04 AM »

Well, they at least had their own roboty language in the first one, which they completely ignored in the other movies (and even the second half of the firs).

I like the first movie too. It was a visual spectacle unlike any other I had ever seen in back in 2007 when me and my cousins saw it in the theater. The second one is really really bad. No underserved hate there. The third one I actually enjoyed. I wouldn't say 'liked', but certainly enjoyed. It had some honestly cool things in it that were pretty memorable.

The fourth movie actually did me damage, and I'm not even joking. It was so much nonsense flashing of color and too much fucking shit going on that I had trouble sleeping that night. I couldn't close my eyes without seeing flashing colors and a million different pieces moving around and explosions everywhere. It kept me up most of the night with a terrible headache.

Not only that, but the dialogue was some of the worst written garbage I have ever heard in my life. Who the fuck can live their life knowing that he actually wrote this stuff?

As much as I dislike the second movie, Age of Extinction is the worst transformers movie by far, and I pray to all gods of all past and present religions that they'll let this movie series fucking die.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #407 on: June 29, 2015, 11:18:58 AM »
I didn't enjoy the first one very much, but it was OK.

The second one was awful.

I heard that the third was better than the second, so I watched it.  It may have been better, but only by nanometers.

I have no intention of watching any more of these godforsaken films. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #408 on: June 29, 2015, 11:50:17 AM »
As posted in the Disney thread:

Just saw Inside Out last night.  I don't normally go and see Disney/Pixar movies at the theater because (1) most of them are must-buy DVD/BR purchases anyway, and (2) seeing them in the theater doesn't add much to the experience, unlike a big screen action movie like the Marvel films.  So I am usually content to save my money and just wait for the home release.  But the reviews (combined with $5 movie night) got me out the door.  Fantastic movie.  I really enjoyed it, as did the wife and all the kids.  Such a neat, creative idea, and [mostly] very well executed. 

The only reason I say "mostly" is because I felt like they had a gaping lingering plot hole that they had no good idea how to resolve, and ended up resolving it in a really dumb way.  Joy and Sadness are stuck outside of headquarters with no way back.  "How do we get them back?  Uh...remember the scene in one of the unmemorable Matrix sequels where Neo fights all the Agent Smith clones?  That was cool.  Let's do that with invisible boyfriend, combine it with the trampoline deux ex machina from The Emperor's New Groove, and have that translate into an against-all-odds perfect trajectory shot that you would only see in a Loony Toons cartoon.  That should do it!"  That could have been handled better.  I'm not sure how.  But they easily could have used some other device that seemed more plausible.  In fact, what would have been both more plausible and more emotionally satisfying is if there was a situation where Sadness was in some sort of real danger (I mean, that's kinda what they were going for by having her float off on the cloud, but I didn't feel like it really came off the way they were intending it to), and Joy sacrifices herself to save Sadness and get her back to headquarters, except that Joy ends up making it too.  Again, that's kind of what they were going for, but I felt like it just ultimately came out of nowhere, seemed rushed, and fell flat, and that they expected the audience to not really notice/mind because they rushed right into the emotional resolution of the film by having Sadness come into her own and "save" Riley.  And they are partially correct.  Ultimately, I didn't really overly mind that that part was dumb, because the payoff was still rewarding enough.  But still, I've come to expect better from the Pixar writers.  To me, this was the one flaw in an otherwise terrific movie.

Some other alternate possible solutions I thought up:
-Have the train tracks not completely destroyed, but maybe either incomplete, or with a gap smashed in the middle.  Have Sadness about to destroy herself, but Joy comes in and convinces her that she is necessary and incredibly important to Riley's well-being, and they discover some link between Sadness and Bing Bong that allows Sadness to sing the song and give the rocket wagon more power when she does it, so that it is able to rocket them along the train tracks and fly over the gap to get them back.
-Have the unicorn be a Pegasus (or unipeg).  They go back to Dream Productions (or whatever it was called), and convince her that Riley needs her help, so she flies them back to headquarters.  If they really MUST use invisible boyfriend, maybe unicorn gets smitten when she sees him, and that is the tipping point that makes her decide to help.

I mean, these are half-baked ideas that are rough around the edges.  But if I could come up with them the day after seeing the movie, Pixar could have come up with something better than what they gave us for that particular issue resolution.

EDIT:  Unrelated to the movie itself, I also have to take just a moment to express my hate of movie theaters.  Why?  Well...the background is that over the last 2 1/2 months, I have for the most part been extremely disciplined with my diet and have lost just shy of 30 pounds.  I have managed to do this even in the face of being on a week-long trip to DC, father's day dinner, a few parties and bbq's where there were massive amounts of food, and other everyday situations where it would be very easy to justify "cheating."  Last night, I found my weakness.  As the giant bucket of buttered movie theater popcorn kept passing back and forth between the 5 of us, I was unable to keep myself from going back again and again and again.  Curse you, movie theater popcorn!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 12:18:26 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #409 on: June 29, 2015, 12:36:47 PM »
Movie theater popcorn is the worst (in a delicious way).

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: June 30, 2015, 04:03:11 AM »
Inside Out and The Minion Movie....which were both great!  :smiley:   Next up either the new Terminator or Ted 2!   :corn

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #411 on: June 30, 2015, 06:00:46 AM »
I can't stand the minions.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: June 30, 2015, 06:03:10 AM »
Inside Out and The Minion Movie....which were both great!  :smiley:   Next up either the new Terminator or Ted 2!   :corn

I'm seeing Terminator tomorrow, and I might be seeing Ted 2 at some point. Never saw the first one, but I don't expect that will really make a difference.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: June 30, 2015, 09:06:26 AM »
I can't stand the minions.

Same here. And what makes it worse (or is probably the cause) is that I have three young boys who LOVE them! It's torture....

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #414 on: June 30, 2015, 11:35:57 AM »
I watched the Lego movie which I loved and Despicable me which I also really enjoyed.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #415 on: July 01, 2015, 12:47:35 AM »
I've just finished The Secret In Their Eyes, almost 6 years after its release and 5 after the Oscar award. Somehow, I missed such an important part of my national cinema (!) back in the day, so finally checked it. Quite a great film actually! The plot had so many twists and the acting was brilliant, that I totally immersed myself on it - something unusual since I sometimes tend to ask me "How do these people do to act that good?" and "How the hell did they record that scene?". Loved how it avoided lots of cliches.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: July 01, 2015, 02:57:40 AM »
I just got back from Terminator Genisys. I thought it was a really good movie. They made some bad casting choices (especially John Connor), the CGI wasn't very good and would have benefited from a lot more physical props, but I thought the story was really solid, and Arnie is Arnie.

It made a good attempt to tie together all of the timelines of T1 and T2 with the new timeline, and show how the future scenes played out, and they did a great job of recreating the original 1984 scenes. The time jumping can be a little confusing, and I'd highly recommend rewatching T1 (and T2) if you plan to see this.

It certainly wasn't perfect, but it was an enjoyable addition to the franchise, and better than I expected.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #417 on: July 01, 2015, 03:28:18 AM »
I just got back from Terminator Genisys. I thought it was a really good movie. They made some bad casting choices (especially John Connor), the CGI wasn't very good and would have benefited from a lot more physical props, but I thought the story was really solid, and Arnie is Arnie.

It made a good attempt to tie together all of the timelines of T1 and T2 with the new timeline, and show how the future scenes played out, and they did a great job of recreating the original 1984 scenes. The time jumping can be a little confusing, and I'd highly recommend rewatching T1 (and T2) if you plan to see this.

It certainly wasn't perfect, but it was an enjoyable addition to the franchise, and better than I expected.
:caffeine:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: July 01, 2015, 03:39:58 AM »
The one major plot point that didn't really make any sense was-
why they went to all the effort of building a time machine with the intention of jumping 13 years into the future when Sarah Connor was more than young enough to see it through, and it would have been easier to stop Skynet with the extra time rather than jump so close before Skynet becomes active.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #419 on: July 01, 2015, 08:16:48 AM »
Yesterday was my eldest daughter's birthday, so she got to pick what we watched.  Predictably, it was an odd combination.

First up, we watched The Babadook.  This was a pretty effective horror film.  I really liked the way it was put together (although I wanted to punch that kid in the liver).  Good stuff.

Then we watched Jackass, which is not really a movie.  There were a couple of scenes where I thought they went a little overboard, but overall, I laughed my ass off.

So it was a really weird night, but ultimately pretty good.