Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554340 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #5355 on: February 03, 2018, 01:09:50 AM »
Only the Brave - Honestly one of the best movies of the year.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #5356 on: February 06, 2018, 03:35:43 PM »
The Basket Case trilogy
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5357 on: February 09, 2018, 07:45:23 AM »
The crow

I love this movie with a passion

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #5358 on: February 09, 2018, 08:19:57 AM »
The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5359 on: February 09, 2018, 08:36:21 AM »
Finally got around to watching Hidden Figures today. Really enjoyed it, and now I'm reading the book it's based on to learn more, since the movie compressed a lot for the sake of narrative.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5360 on: February 09, 2018, 03:42:49 PM »
Blade Runner, the original, in preparation for the sequel.

It's funny that the movie takes place in the "future", and it's basically now  :lol The more technology advances and the more we get a glimpse of how it could evolve, in books and movies everyone keep making the same mistake: they place the future too near, like it would take just 20-30 years to have a massive change in the way the world is made.

Even Avatar is set too early for me. No way it takes just 150 years to colonize other planets.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5361 on: February 09, 2018, 03:54:03 PM »
Even Avatar is set too early for me. No way it takes just 150 years to colonize other planets.

Not to derail the movie thread but I don't think it's a stretch when you compare how quickly technology is evolving. If you take a look at what's happened just since the original iPhone debut.....it's insane what exists now. Extrapolate out 150 years from now and it's not hard to imagine mankind has discovered a way to travel through space at high speeds.....cryogenic sleep....etc etc. 150 years is a long time.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5362 on: February 10, 2018, 09:18:09 AM »
Finally got around to watching Hidden Figures today. Really enjoyed it, and now I'm reading the book it's based on to learn more, since the movie compressed a lot for the sake of narrative.

I haven't watched the movie, but I read the book. I had a hard time with it.... so many names and dates, I couldn't really keep it all straight. I probably should have watched the movie first lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5363 on: February 10, 2018, 09:22:48 AM »

I haven't watched the movie, but I read the book. I had a hard time with it.... so many names and dates, I couldn't really keep it all straight. I probably should have watched the movie first lol

Yes, I'm having the same issue with the book! I'm terrible with names, and with it jumping between so many people, I've gotten confused a few times. I'm still enjoying it though, because I find history from that era fascinating.
I'm not sure if the movie would have helped much, because it's much narrower in focus, but it's still a nice combo together.

Today I watched Get Out, another movie I've been wanting to see since it came out. It definitely didn't go the direction I expected, but it was better than what I expected anyway, and funnier.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5364 on: February 10, 2018, 09:40:04 AM »

Yes, I'm having the same issue with the book! I'm terrible with names, and with it jumping between so many people, I've gotten confused a few times. I'm still enjoying it though, because I find history from that era fascinating.
I'm not sure if the movie would have helped much, because it's much narrower in focus, but it's still a nice combo together.

Today I watched Get Out, another movie I've been wanting to see since it came out. It definitely didn't go the direction I expected, but it was better than what I expected anyway, and funnier.

I liked Get Out. Went into it not knowing anything about the plot and enjoyed it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5365 on: February 10, 2018, 10:02:22 AM »
I liked Get Out. Went into it not knowing anything about the plot and enjoyed it.

I tried not to see too much about it going in. I just knew it was a black guy meeting his white girlfriend's family and then bad shit happens. I was expecting a straight up serious horror movie where he gets chased and hunted by a bunch of white guys for an hour and a half.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5366 on: February 10, 2018, 02:46:49 PM »
Watched both Bad Boys movies yesterday. Besides the two leads being likeable (less so in the second one), I didn't really like them.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5367 on: February 10, 2018, 03:43:44 PM »
Blade Runner 2049. Too long, and it has only partially the atmosphere of the original one, but it was not a complete waste. Gotta think about it a bit more.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5368 on: February 10, 2018, 06:44:06 PM »
Blade Runner 2049. Too long, and it has only partially the atmosphere of the original one, but it was not a complete waste. Gotta think about it a bit more.

I agree. It had no business being 3 hours. People actually were sleeping/snoring in my theater, and my bladder almost exploded. And why exactly Jared leto needed to torture ford in the off world colonies when you know damn well he's got some medieval S & M sex dungeon in the basement of his pyramid that would have done the trick, but hey the script said they Gosling needed a chance to save him, so whatever.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5369 on: February 11, 2018, 02:47:49 AM »
At least the twist about Decker's offspring was good. Since Ryan Gosling was the protagonist, it looked so damn evident that it would have been him.... but no. That was clever.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5370 on: February 11, 2018, 05:59:18 AM »
^^^ I agree. Objectively it was a good call. On a personal level though, I was really getting into a man's journey looking for his father and why that father wasn't apart of his life. I was really getting invested in that, but then it swerved. What ev's though.

Anyway. Last night I watch Guardians of the galaxy 2. That was badass. What a great movie. I actually shed a tear at the end. And here we go again with Phoenix's daddy issues, but the concept of yearning to know your blood father your entire life, only to be gravely disappointed and then to realize what you were searching for was right there beside you in a "surrogate, adopted" father, man oh man its like they looked into my life and took a page directly from it.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5371 on: February 11, 2018, 06:03:34 AM »

I tried not to see too much about it going in. I just knew it was a black guy meeting his white girlfriend's family and then bad shit happens. I was expecting a straight up serious horror movie where he gets chased and hunted by a bunch of white guys for an hour and a half.

I watched Get Out a little while ago not knowing any more than you did and I really enjoyed the movie. It was excellent.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5372 on: February 11, 2018, 11:06:28 PM »
Fatal Attraction

This movie has really stood the test of time and Alex Forrest is truly a terrifying villian. Still a great movie!

Poor rabbit

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #5373 on: February 12, 2018, 01:35:09 AM »
Star Wars The Last Jedi  :tup
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5374 on: February 12, 2018, 07:40:31 AM »
Saw the new Jumanji movie. Freaking hilarious. My wife and I were trying to think of how they could make a sequel to that. My idea was that some how they need to go back but this time they use different avatars. Would be cool to see the actors play different characters in the same series.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5375 on: February 12, 2018, 09:26:19 AM »
Saw the latest Maze Runner on Saturday. It wasn't bad....wasn't anything special either.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5376 on: February 16, 2018, 03:59:37 PM »
Coco.

Absolutely fantastic! Great story, awesome visuals. Even better than The Book of Life, when it comes to Mexican folklore animated movies.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5377 on: February 17, 2018, 04:31:42 AM »
San Andreas was on TV, so I left it on as background noise while I did computer stuff, and fuck this is every bit as awful as I expected and worse. I though it would basically be like 2012, but I didn't realize it would literally just be 2012. It's like they just took that script, scribbled out "apocalypse" and wrote "earthquake" over it.

It starts off with some self absorbed chick who you think is going to crash because of her reckless driving, but then there's the swerve that she crashes because of the earthquake, and Rock comes to save her. But I already kind of want her to die because she's a terrible person and the roads are safer without her. But it's Rock as the big hero, so she has to get saved to show how amazing the Rock is. The CGI is absolutely terrible here.
Then the generic cliche Hollywood plot of him being divorced, with a kid. Then we have the new boyfriend, who of course is a terrible person because he's not the star, and that's supposed to make us be ok with him dying. Then despite the Rock being the hero who has saved a bazillion people, he ditches that to save his ex with a rescue helicopter that I'm pretty sure isn't his. You're a terrible rescue worker, pal. Again the CGI is pretty bad, and it's hard to believe there's any real threat.
Then later his helicopter crash lands ridiculously in and is leaking fuel, and they casually loot the store, don't bother to warn anyone else about the potential danger of a crashed leaking helicopter, and steal a truck, which is now ok, because someone else had stolen it first for looting (but worse looting than his own looting). Hollywood logic!
Then later on they parachute out of a plane and that plane probably crashes in the city somewhere and kills some people.
At this point I think they realize that the Rock isn't actually looking too heroic, so we have a scene where he tells a few idiots to get away from a falling building, because they were too dumb to move at all. And he carries an injured person across the road too. Hero status restored!
The boat riding over the tsunami is is so mind numbingly dumb that it managed to top everything else so far. And I can tell that at no point did the Rock have to leave the safety of a green screen studio in that boat. The whole thing looks like ass.
No mention of the new boyfriend at the end, or most of the rest of the movie, because he doesn't matter now, so I guess she didn't like him that much. And it appears the cliche scientist character and the rest of the characters served nothing more than some weak unnecessary exposition, because they didn't really connect much with the story.

tl;dr - This movie is everything that's wrong with Hollywood, and if you paid to see this, you're part of the problem. 0/10

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5378 on: February 17, 2018, 04:55:18 AM »
Was there somewhere at a point a scientist who knew the earthquake would come without anybody paying attention to him?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5379 on: February 17, 2018, 04:57:30 AM »
Basically. :lol
Although from what I saw, none of his part amounted to anything. He didn't get to save the day or help in any way. I'm not sure why his character was even there.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5380 on: February 17, 2018, 06:01:42 AM »
That's a lot of wasted typing for a crappy movie Blob.   :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5381 on: February 17, 2018, 06:05:23 AM »
I know! :lol I was typing as I went though, so that was over the course of two and a half hours. Can you tell I was bored?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5382 on: February 17, 2018, 06:07:11 AM »
It was so much for a bad movie I gave up reading. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5383 on: February 17, 2018, 10:35:18 AM »
San Andreass was terrible.

Saw ’The Killing of a Sacred Deer’ today. Really uncomfortable, interestingly surreal, and artsy psychological thriller. Some real unnerving moments throughout, much thanks to the weirdly but intentionally stale performances and of course the oddly (in a fun way) placed and haunting score. I’d definetely recommend it.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5384 on: February 17, 2018, 10:50:46 AM »
Lady Bird: 3/10

Horrible.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #5385 on: February 17, 2018, 08:09:11 PM »
Never saw San Andreas, but I wasn't planning on it and I'm glad to see someone else shares my hatred for 2012  :lol

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #5386 on: February 17, 2018, 08:15:53 PM »
Black Panther. Awesome.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5387 on: February 18, 2018, 01:21:28 AM »
I actually really enjoyed Lady Bird.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5388 on: February 19, 2018, 07:59:36 AM »
I watched Tropic Thunder over the weekend. I saw that movie in theaters and hated it. I swore I would never watch it again. I can now say with certainty that that movie is utter trash.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:56:38 AM by Chino »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5389 on: February 19, 2018, 10:31:06 AM »
Watched 'Wonder' with the family last night. It's a nice feel good movie.