Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 558688 times)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #4970 on: July 17, 2017, 03:26:18 AM »
Spiderman: Homecoming

spoilers:

holy shit that car ride scene with the father was TENSE

Also my last movie watched. I agreed with the above. I really like Michael Keaton, and I thought he was great in this.

I'm a bit torn about the movie as a whole though. I liked it, but the juvenile tone was maybe pushed a little too much for me. The friend (man in the chair) got annoying at points.

I'm glad they didn't do another origin story with PP getting bitten by the spider, learning about his powers etc etc.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4971 on: July 17, 2017, 02:41:21 PM »
Saw the latest Transformers .. way too long and could they maybe cast an actress that does not look a lot like Megan Fox.
I don't even think Mark Wahlberg and Josh Duhamel was enough to keep me interested. Though not the worst film ever.

The Beguiled, again not the worst, but I wanted to see what plantation was in the exterior shots, it was Madewood in Napoleonville in Louisiana.
I had to look this up when I got home, waited until the end of credits and they didn't even list it. I will add it to my trip next year  :)

I watched Mr Mom with Michael Keaton from 83 over the weekend, not bad either.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4972 on: July 17, 2017, 06:49:06 PM »
Song of the Sea: Really wonderful animated film, with outstanding production, full of intricate details and colours. Soundtrack was very nice, celtic stuff. Story was refreshing because it was based on Celtic mythology, despite having a bit of a cliched plot like Ghibli films. But honestly? This is far more original than what Disney and Pixar have been releasing in recent years, and deserved the Oscar. 4/5

Terminator: This was one I never watched in its entirety :P Yeah it was a bit dumb at times and cheesy, but still enjoyed it more than most modern action films. 3.5/5

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4973 on: July 22, 2017, 03:55:15 PM »
Suicide Squad - What is this movie even, not a fan. Margot Robbie is one fine looking woman though.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4974 on: July 22, 2017, 10:53:20 PM »
Just got back from Valerian. An overwhelming visual treat with an engulfing storyline and just enough action. Fantastic flick.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4975 on: July 23, 2017, 05:13:20 AM »
What women want with Mel

This movie is funny as all hell

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4976 on: July 23, 2017, 05:19:18 AM »
Just got back from Valerian. An overwhelming visual treat with an engulfing storyline and just enough action. Fantastic flick.

Awesome.  jingle.kids have been teasing me that I want to go see this.  All I'm expecting is for it to be a visual spectacle.  Anything like a good story/acting/characters is just a bonus.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4977 on: July 23, 2017, 08:12:54 AM »
X-Men Apocalypse, good movie, I really enjoy the cast of the young xmen.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4978 on: July 23, 2017, 08:17:33 AM »
What women want with Mel

This movie is funny as all hell

It really is.  The scene with Bette Midler is hysterical.

"I didn't say anything."

"I know, but that does not mean I didn't hear it."

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4979 on: July 23, 2017, 10:29:28 AM »

Awesome.  jingle.kids have been teasing me that I want to go see this.  All I'm expecting is for it to be a visual spectacle.  Anything like a good story/acting/characters is just a bonus.

The story is miles beyond the pocahontas ripoff Avatar for sure, and I felt some excellent writing. The character Bubbles in particular was outstanding.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4980 on: July 26, 2017, 10:42:30 AM »

The story is miles beyond the pocahontas ripoff Avatar for sure, and I felt some excellent writing. The character Bubbles in particular was outstanding.

Yeah. This is as a fun movie. Took my middle son to see it last night. It's a bummer it looks like it's not doing well in the theaters, it'd be neat to see a sequel because it's such a cool world they've created.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4981 on: July 26, 2017, 02:45:09 PM »
That whole section with Rhianna could've been left on the cutting room floor.  Absolutely zero point or impact to the overall story.  Plus, Twilight was a better love story.  The chemistry between those two (characters and actors) was awful.  I was more likely to believe the love between Lebouf and Fox in Transformers .... 2!

My expectations were on the floor as I walked into the theatre, and I was barely able to step over them on the way out.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4982 on: July 28, 2017, 11:52:53 AM »
Finally saw Deepwater Horizon. As an oilfield worker I have out most respect for the people who made this film as they managed to accomplish several difficult elements. 1. Capture the spirit of comradery between personnel on a drilling rig, 2. Portray the technical aspects of operation correctly without confusing casual audiences, 3. Deliver a dramatic treatment to true events without sacrificing the drama nor the facts.
I went in ready to find mistakes but they were pretty faithful to the events and technical aspects. However I think they went out of their way to vilify the company man.
If I had to nitpick I'd say there's no way you can be walking on the main deck and talk to the crane operator, it's too loud for either one to have an actual conversation and I've never heard of a dinosaur tooth coming up on the shale shakers.. I imagine even if that happens there's no way you'd be allowed to keep it! 
It was a bit eerie watching the movie while on the same type of rig portrayed heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4983 on: July 28, 2017, 12:42:39 PM »
I just watched a fan edit of Spider-man 3 called Spider-man 3: Redemption. All the goofy, stupid shit is removed and it keeps a serious tone throughout, aside from some stuff at the Bugle and Bruce Campbell's cameo. It's not perfect, but it's so close.

If you can find it, check it out.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4984 on: July 28, 2017, 03:30:54 PM »
Finally saw Deepwater Horizon. As an oilfield worker I have out most respect for the people who made this film as they managed to accomplish several difficult elements. 1. Capture the spirit of comradery between personnel on a drilling rig, 2. Portray the technical aspects of operation correctly without confusing casual audiences, 3. Deliver a dramatic treatment to true events without sacrificing the drama nor the facts.
I went in ready to find mistakes but they were pretty faithful to the events and technical aspects. However I think they went out of their way to vilify the company man.
If I had to nitpick I'd say there's no way you can be walking on the main deck and talk to the crane operator, it's too loud for either one to have an actual conversation and I've never heard of a dinosaur tooth coming up on the shale shakers.. I imagine even if that happens there's no way you'd be allowed to keep it! 
It was a bit eerie watching the movie while on the same type of rig portrayed heh

I had to see it in IMAX when it was released - 100% worth it.  I'm not sure a small screen and regular sound system would do it justice.  Such a powerful movie.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4985 on: July 28, 2017, 04:27:10 PM »
I wish I saw it back when it was at the IMAX, I saw it on my laptop.. worse way to see a movie heh
It's very difficult for me to see movies at the theater so I only go when my wife wants to and I guess this movie was not on her radar.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4986 on: July 28, 2017, 05:53:42 PM »
Gave a long overdue re-watch of Salem's Lot since I finally have it on Blu-Ray so I can ditch the double VHS lol.

It Amazes me that this made for tv horror movie from the 70's creeps me out more than most theatrical horror movies.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4987 on: July 30, 2017, 06:15:00 AM »
Hacksaw Ridge - Pretty decent movie. Good acting and well filmed. Mel knows how to direct a movie.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4988 on: July 30, 2017, 07:27:06 AM »
Yeah, personal beliefs and issues aside. I thing Mel is an excellent director and I really enjoy his movies.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4989 on: August 01, 2017, 01:58:15 AM »
Dunkirk. I really enjoyed it. I posted some thoughts on the other thread

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #4990 on: August 01, 2017, 10:41:24 PM »
Dead Silence. A horror from 2007 as I remember... Well, pretty good scary scenes and pretty good effects saved this one, if not that, it would be very very cheesy ;)

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4991 on: August 02, 2017, 07:11:31 AM »
Atomic Blonde.  Not bad at all.  Some wonderful action sequences.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4992 on: August 04, 2017, 05:41:53 PM »
Manchester by the Sea.
Great movie, could have easily been an hour shorter.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4993 on: August 05, 2017, 07:03:40 PM »
A cure for wellness. I liked it a lot better when it was called Shutter Island

Honestly, this movie was terrible. First of all, it didn't clearly present what was going on. So I kind of was able to piece it together, but overall it made no sense. Now on top of that, the main villain has like 5 different opportunities where the main character was literally strapped down and completely vulnerable to be killed and just let's him go. Over and over. Just super dumb movie 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 07:43:59 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #4994 on: August 05, 2017, 07:13:00 PM »
I seen The Dark Tower yesterday, and posted about it in it's thread. I mostly enjoyed the movie, but my post in the other thread might not look like that  :biggrin:
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4995 on: August 05, 2017, 09:17:42 PM »
Dumb and Dumber

Always funny to watch, a comedy classic!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4996 on: August 06, 2017, 10:24:29 AM »
I enjoyed A Cure For Wellness in the beginning and middle, but then it started to fall apart in the end.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4997 on: August 06, 2017, 07:15:32 PM »
The burbs with tom hanks, one of my childhood favorites

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4998 on: August 06, 2017, 10:43:43 PM »
The Shinning: I dunno if this was either a comedy or a horror movie. Or both? Because it wasn't good at either :lol Still was nice I guess, liked the surreal moments. 3/5

Scott Pilgrim vs the World: Yeah there were some moments that were cringe to me, but what the hell, this was great. Love when a movie completely embraces its over-the-top nature and plays with that, laughed a lot at this. Very well-directed too. 4.5/5

Monty Python's Meaning of Life: The first short film was fantastic. The rest of the movie, sometimes great, sometimes really band and cringe. Too many songs. 3.5/5

The Man from Earth: Now this was very interesting, most of it was just dialogue between cool characters and a guy who's just leaving but reveal them he's a prehistoric man that has survived from thousands of years ago and never ages. Is he fucking around? Is it legit? What important characters in history has he met if so? What influence did he have? Although is ends up being a little cheesy and predictable at times, it was very immersive and intriguing to watch. 4/5

The Room: Yes, THAT movie. Holy shit, this is so fucking atrocious. But in a way, feels like it's done in purpose, just in a very subtle sense. Really one of those it's so bad it's great. Every rating seems fitting so I guess I'll give it this one for how much fun I had. Tommy Wiseau is my hero. 4/5

Dr Strangelove or: How I stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb: I guess I just don't dig Kubrick's sense of humor. I know it's satire, but didn't make me laugh much besides some moments here and there. It was ok. 3/5

Primer: I've seen some mindfucking shit, but this one takes the fucking cake. Not because of how abstract it is, but how concrete yet extremely complex it is to follow. It's basically about two engineers that were working on something as hobby but accidentally discover time travel. In the lapse of 5 days, they build the machines but short-sightness, greed and distrust end up fucking up with them and generating like 12 or more timelines. Had to follow a chart after watching it and I think I get it? Loved how it was very realist about time travel, and mostly shown in a linear way, yet that makes it hard to understand. Highly recommended to fans of hard sci-fi. 4.5/5

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4999 on: August 06, 2017, 10:51:54 PM »
The Man from Earth: Now this was very interesting, most of it was just dialogue between cool characters and a guy who's just leaving but reveal them he's a prehistoric man that has survived from thousands of years ago and never ages. Is he fucking around? Is it legit? What important characters in history has he met if so? What influence did he have? Although is ends up being a little cheesy and predictable at times, it was very immersive and intriguing to watch. 4/5

Yes, a very interesting idea, like a classic Twilight Zone episode. My criticisms would be the basement production values (although they weren't a huge detriment to this type of story), and the ending was a little too corny, but otherwise I really enjoyed it.

The Room: Yes, THAT movie. Holy shit, this is so fucking atrocious. But in a way, feels like it's done in purpose, just in a very subtle sense. Really one of those it's so bad it's great. Every rating seems fitting so I guess I'll give it this one for how much fun I had. Tommy Wiseau is my hero. 4/5

I'm not convinced it was done on purpose. I don't think anyone involved knew what to make of this thing. :lol It made my head hurt trying to make any sense of it, but man it's hilarious.

Primer: I've seen some mindfucking shit, but this one takes the fucking cake. Not because of how abstract it is, but how concrete yet extremely complex it is to follow. It's basically about two engineers that were working on something as hobby but accidentally discover time travel. In the lapse of 5 days, they build the machines but short-sightness, greed and distrust end up fucking up with them and generating like 12 or more timelines. Had to follow a chart after watching it and I think I get it? Loved how it was very realist about time travel, and mostly shown in a linear way, yet that makes it hard to understand. Highly recommended to fans of hard sci-fi. 4.5/5

I've seen so many time travel stories, and this one still managed to feel fresh. Again, it's brought down slightly by the cheap production values though. The directing in the last 15 minutes or so makes it more confusing than it really should be, and the acting falls flat so hard that it was only on second viewing I realized there were some attempts at humour in there. But it was very well written overall.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #5000 on: August 06, 2017, 11:10:27 PM »

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Love it.

James Franco made a movie about the making of it and it's coming out soon:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3521126/reference

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rir1WzZqwxE

Cannot wait to see it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5001 on: August 06, 2017, 11:18:38 PM »
Swiss Army Man - Took me long enough!

This was a fantastic movie, but as I told Jackie after I saw it, I have NO clue how to accurately describe this movie to anyone.

Also as far as the Disaster Artist goes, I saw (of all people) Michael Rooker watch it and say he wasn't sure what was supposed to be funny.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #5002 on: August 06, 2017, 11:25:18 PM »
Swiss Army Man is hilarious. Good movie.

I think The Disaster Artist might be as much drama as comedy. I read the book it's based on and there's some pretty depressing shit.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 12:10:51 AM by NoseofNicko »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5003 on: August 07, 2017, 05:04:47 AM »

Cannot wait to see it.

I just bought the book the movie is based off of, I can't wait to read it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5004 on: August 07, 2017, 12:21:59 PM »

I'm not convinced it was done on purpose. I don't think anyone involved knew what to make of this thing. :lol It made my head hurt trying to make any sense of it, but man it's hilarious.
I mean, when you have such lame dialogue and that particular blowjob scene, I find it hard to believe it's not a comedy  :lol . Maybe it was only Tommy Wiseau who knew it was a comedy and didn't tell the rest :P

Cannot wait to see it.
Hope it's out soon, looks amazing :lol

Oh and Tommy Wiseau is directing a new movie that will be out this year, co-starring it with Greg Sestero (Mark). Hyped for that one.