Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 558004 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #4865 on: June 23, 2017, 07:45:36 AM »
Free trial of Epix, so I'm working through a nice queue of movies that I found:

Hunger Games - Mockingjay Part 2.

Finishes up the series, and from what I remember, Parts 1 and 2 were pretty close to the story in the book, which was nice to see. 

Terminator Genesys

It was a fun action film, but certainly won't live up to the classics of 1 and 2, though very few Terminator films will.  I had it on in the background, so the story lost me a little as I wasn't paying full attention.  I liked Pops though - that was a neat way to tie in Arnold at his current age.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4866 on: June 23, 2017, 09:37:24 AM »
For some reason I kept getting a 403 error when I tried to post this so out of frustration I just took a screenshot of it lol.

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4867 on: June 23, 2017, 10:53:06 AM »
Just watched Dirty Harry 2 (Magnum force) for the first time. It was sweet  :metal

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4868 on: June 23, 2017, 11:29:30 AM »
Magnum Force is great, almost as good as the original (Dirty Harry).

Also, what ever happened to movies not having numbers but still being from the same series?  When Magnum Force came out, the promos were all "Dirty Harry is back!" and everyone knew who Dirty Harry was.

Okay, I probably just answered my own question.  It's easier to know when movies are related if there's a name and number you can refer to.  But I still miss movies having their own titles, and not "Dirty Harry 2: Magnum Force", "Dirty Harry 3: The Enforcer", etc.  I guess I liked being one of the guys who knew (and felt superior about it) without it having to be explicitly in the title.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4869 on: June 23, 2017, 12:26:33 PM »
I love the Dirty Harry series.  I would say the first is my favorite overall but Magnum Force and Enforcer are right behind.  Those three are classics.  It's interesting watching part 5, Dead Pool, and seeing a very early appearance of Jim Carrey and Guns n Roses.

But all five are great movies.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4870 on: June 23, 2017, 01:04:30 PM »
I watched Nosferatu with my dad last night. It's one of my top faves, but he'd never seen it before so it was cool to watch his reaction to the film. We had a blast! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4871 on: June 23, 2017, 01:23:48 PM »
I watched Nosferatu with my dad last night. It's one of my top faves, but he'd never seen it before so it was cool to watch his reaction to the film. We had a blast! :metal

Great movie, I enjoyed Herzog's remake of it starring Klaus Kinski as well.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4872 on: June 23, 2017, 02:48:47 PM »
I have strange feelings about Get Out. On one hand, I can tell that it's well acted, well written, well directed, in all ways a good movie, but I can't bring myself to like it because I hate hypnosis. I spent most of the movie really really uncomfortable for the wrong reasons. It's a shame, because like I said I can tell that it's a good movie.

Didn't find it scary enough to call it a horror movie though. Felt more like a thriller.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #4873 on: June 23, 2017, 02:54:13 PM »
If movies have to be scary to be horror then there aren't many horror movies.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4874 on: June 23, 2017, 03:01:10 PM »
Just got back from Transformers. Cheesy as hell, shit tons of overblown giant robot action, and humans saving the day in absolutely impossible ways.

Fucking loved it, good times.

Cool.  Jingle.son and I just wrapped up re-watching Age of Extinction.  2:46 of pure torture.  It had all the promise of a good story, but then went off the rails so damned fast.  I don't know why I allow Michael Bay to insult my intelligence - basic movie-shooting where one scene is in the dusk/evening, while the very next chronological scene is in the daytime - what... did they drive around the streets of Hong Kong all night for shits and giggle.  Ugh.  Still, it had to be done.  You don't just go into a new 2.5 hour TF movie without any "training".  :lol

Will go see The Last Knight on Monday.  Maybe Sunday (cuz it's supposed to rain all day).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4875 on: June 23, 2017, 03:06:18 PM »
I love the Dirty Harry series.  I would say the first is my favorite overall but Magnum Force and Enforcer are right behind.  Those three are classics.  It's interesting watching part 5, Dead Pool, and seeing a very early appearance of Jim Carrey and Guns n Roses.

But all five are great movies.

Yeah, they are.  I'll watch pretty much any Clint Eastwood movie if I catch it, but Harry Callahan was the man.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4876 on: June 23, 2017, 03:45:11 PM »
Skull Island.

It was pretty good! The only thing I didn't like was the prologue. Ok, you have to introduce the guy that was lost on the island for 20 years, but why show Kong right at the very beginning? and especially using the silly and overused "peekaboo" trope, where you can't hear an ape the size of a building until he magically appears out of nowhere? if he was not shown his first "real" entrance in the movie would have been badass: first he throws the tree, then we see his arm, and then his angry face through the helicopter.

Other than that, for the kind of movie this is, I have no complaint, it was quite entertaining.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4877 on: June 23, 2017, 07:39:30 PM »

Great movie, I enjoyed Herzog's remake of it starring Klaus Kinski as well.

Yeah, Herzog's remake is also fantastic! I'm still amazed that the man shot the whole film essentially twice- once in German and again in English (albeit shooting the same scenes in two languages). It's great in both versions. I'm quite excited for the upcoming remake being made by Robert Eggers (the director of The Witch). I think he's perfect for that film.

I also recently watched Tarkovsky's Stalker. That'd probably be my pick for Best Film of All-Time, even if it's not necessarily my personal favorite. Truly mindblowing work there, in so many ways. :hefdaddy
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4878 on: June 24, 2017, 03:52:01 AM »
I also just finished Kong: Skull Island. Didn't like it. Competently made, but I just didn't care. Best part of the entire movie was during the end credits. Only time the movie actually got emotional. The "dear Billy" thing wasn't a bad idea either.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4879 on: June 24, 2017, 07:13:00 AM »
Best part of the entire movie was during the end credits.

Generally not a good sign.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4880 on: June 24, 2017, 12:21:00 PM »
Dirty harry 5 The dead pool

Watching Jim Carrey lip sync to welcome to the jungle while dancing around a Linda Blair doll is one of the most surreal and bizzare things I have ever seen  :lol

On top of that we have the Asian partner who is a master in martial arts, RC car chase through the city, eastwood's car gets bombed while he's in it and he walks away without a scratch, random guns and roses, killing the badguy with a massive harpoon gun. This movie has it all  :lol

But as goofy as it is, I still was very entertained and that's all that matters as far as I'm concerned.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 01:30:25 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4881 on: June 24, 2017, 12:40:21 PM »
I haven't seen that one in years.  It's always surreal watching a movie you haven't seen in a while and realizing that you recognize people, and you had no idea who they were back then.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4882 on: June 24, 2017, 01:17:48 PM »
The Hangover trilogy

Part 1- Above and beyond, the best of the series.  A classic comedy and it should have ended at this one, but money talks.

Part 2- I was disappointed when I saw this as a new release and watching it a few years later, it isn't any better.  A few funny lines from Alan, but overall a big downgrade from the first one.

Part 3- I thought this one was much better then the second one, but still not in the same league as the original.  It does however have probably my favorite line from the entire series.  When Alan comes into the house and immediately says "Mother, oreo smoothie, now!"  Very funny.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4883 on: June 24, 2017, 04:12:38 PM »
In conclusion to my dirty harry marathon, I finished just now with Dirty harry 4 (sudden impact). Hell yeah, this one was awesome  :metal

Man, you can tell it was directed by eastwood, because the quality was way, way up. The tone and pace was totally unique and I loved the kill bill vibe. That was awesome.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4884 on: June 24, 2017, 06:42:14 PM »
I really like Harry's dog Meathead, in part 4. They made a great team

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4885 on: June 25, 2017, 12:20:21 AM »
Wonder Woman. Late to the party, I know.

Over all it was very good. I'd say it was the best DCEU movie, but that's hardly even a compliment.

Cons:
- Some of the humor (not much of it) did not land at all and was seen from a mile away, yet was annoying when the audience cracked up. "I'm both....." yea yea, you're both aroused and afraid "....aroused...." DUDE JUST SAY AND AFRAID "....and afraid."

- The casting decision of Ares was very poor. I avoided spoilers, but knew it was him the minute we met him. I was like "Hmm...I bet that creepy rapist/serial killer looking dude is Ares." And then when he went full on Ares, he had the intimidation factor of a rat. Unfortunate, even as they changed his voice to go all Arnold for some reason.

- The entire third act was about 90% meh. The moral lesson and villain motivation, while not original, was good and simple and worked well. The action though, it felt like a video game and not in a good way. Steve's sacrifice seemed undealt with later.

- That secretary lady was annoying and pointless.

Pros:

- Most of the rest of the movie.

- Gal Gaddot. I was very skeptical how good my fellow Israeli would be after I saw the trailers, and while she had pretty meh moments here and there, she was really great for almost all of it. While I don't think Affleck, or Cavil, or Leto, or Miller, or so forth will be known as the quintessential Batman, Superman, Joker, Flash etc, I think Gal will be seen as Wonder Woman for quite some time. Good stuff!

- Minus the ending, it was VERY well directed. Kudos to Jenkins. Keep that lady around. Also makes me annoyed at how good Thor 2 could have been.

- Chris Pine almost stole the show. His talents (in this genre) are wasted on Kirk. He really shined in this role.

- All of the Amazons. Despite trying to adopt a weird Israel/Russian accent hybrid thing, they were all great and I just loved how that society was portrayed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4886 on: June 27, 2017, 07:01:30 AM »
Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation. 

I love these films.  Tom Cruise hanging onto an airplane at 5,000 ft?  I'm there.  Simon Pegg was hilarious as well.

The People vs. George Lucas

Documentary about how George Lucas changed the Star Wars movies and significantly altered fans' lives in the process.  It started out interesting with some interviews from fans explain how much the movies meant to them along with showing fan-films that parodied the universe and how George was cool about letting fans do things like that.  But when it got to the 1997 re-releases that documented how George changed the films, it turned into a bunch of whining about how these fans can't enjoy the films now, and how they can't make fan films because OMG HAN SHOT FIRST and their lives will never be the same!.  I fast forwarded for a bit, and it was more of the same as they started lampooning the prequels.   I had to turn it off.  If you dislike what he did to the movies and the universe, fine, but whining for 90 minutes isn't going to change anything back to your liking.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4887 on: June 27, 2017, 09:03:43 AM »
Transformers Last Knight.

God what a hot mess.  Total eye candy, but an absolutely horrific story/plot.  The main arc could've had some promise, but the way it's all stitched together is the kind of catastrophe you'd expect from Michael Bay.

One thing I noticed from the quintalogy is that every film gives the Transformers a different origin story and/or how & why they are on Earth.  Michael Bay doesn't even respect himself, let alone his audiences!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online faizoff

« Reply #4888 on: June 27, 2017, 12:34:40 PM »
The documentary 'Dangerous Days' that details the entire movie making process of Blade Runner. Amazing documentary over 3 1/2 hours long made by Charles de Lauzirika who usually makes the documentaries on all Ridley Scott's movies. Fascinating from start to finish and didn't feel boring for one second.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4889 on: June 27, 2017, 01:25:22 PM »
The documentary 'Dangerous Days' that details the entire movie making process of Blade Runner. Amazing documentary over 3 1/2 hours long made by Charles de Lauzirika who usually makes the documentaries on all Ridley Scott's movies. Fascinating from start to finish and didn't feel boring for one second.

I've watched this documentary a couple of times.  Fantastic stuff and includes everything you want to know about the movie and much more!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4890 on: June 27, 2017, 05:35:56 PM »
I love that blade runner documentary. Just fantastic

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #4891 on: June 28, 2017, 02:26:26 AM »
I enjoyed Wonder Woman a lot and will see it again. Agreed on the secretary though, a bit pointless on the whole.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online faizoff

« Reply #4892 on: June 28, 2017, 05:51:39 AM »
The Transformers Movie (1986), the animated version is still so good to watch even with it being dated with that 80s music. The story and cell animation still hold up today, I recently bought the bluray version and it looks great.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4893 on: June 28, 2017, 07:15:28 AM »
Primer (2004).

This film has a reputation of being rather hard to follow.  I completely agree - It lost me.  I can't honest say whether or not I enjoyed it, simply because I lost the plot early on and never caught back.   An interesting watch for sure though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4894 on: June 28, 2017, 07:18:25 AM »
It lost me in the last 10-15 minutes the first time, and I think mostly due to the amateur editing and cinematography. I understood it fine on second viewing though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online faizoff

« Reply #4895 on: June 28, 2017, 10:12:15 AM »
It's been a while since I went on a movie watching spree. Watched Valkyrie after such a long time and it was even better than I remembered it. Going to watch the documentary that came with the bluray, I've read it's fantastic.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4896 on: June 30, 2017, 10:04:15 AM »
 Baby Driver: I have loved every movie by Edgar Wright that I have seen so far and this was no exception. A great movie with some of the best shot & edited chase scenes in recent memory.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4897 on: June 30, 2017, 12:48:05 PM »
The Discovery. A NETFLIX original. Robert Redford and Jason Siegel. In a nutshell Redford is a scientist who "proves" rather convincingly that there is life after death....subsequently leading to millions of people committing suicide or 'getting there' as they call it in the show. Very neat little movie...it's only like 1hr 45 minutes and there's a twist in the story near the end that when looking back on it seems like I should have seen coming but didn't.

I enjoyed it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #4898 on: July 02, 2017, 12:13:29 AM »
Baby Driver was excellent! One of Edgar Wright's best films yet

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4899 on: July 02, 2017, 08:16:52 AM »
We spent the week at a cabin on a lake, just the guys.  Fishing, drinking, smoking, playing cards, and a TV that only got three stations over the air but was hooked up to an old VHS player.  Interesting setup, with a 40" HDTV and a stack of VHS tapes.  The tapes never looked so good.  We worked through one or two each night.

Die Hard.  The original, still the best.  Defined a genre and made Bruce Willis a star.

Beverly Hills Cop.  The original, still the best.  Made Eddie Murphy a star.

Ghostbusters.  The original, still the best.  Sigourney Weaver was, like, whoa.

Star Wars episodes IV, V, and VI.  The original trilogy, still the best.  Han shot first!  Amazing, non-"specialized" versions.  Not HD, but widescreen on a nice TV so as I said, about the best they've ever looked.  Unedited and no commercials, that was the most important thing.

There were others, but these were the outstanding entries.  Pretty cool going back and watching these old flicks on pseudo-retro gear.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:47:18 PM by Orbert »