Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 559569 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #4690 on: April 30, 2017, 12:54:42 PM »
Mrs. Peregrin's home for Peculiar Children.  I enjoyed it.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4691 on: April 30, 2017, 06:16:06 PM »
The Prestige. First time watching it since its release. Still excellent.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4692 on: April 30, 2017, 06:56:20 PM »
Great movie. I loved David Bowie's performance

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #4693 on: May 01, 2017, 10:17:01 AM »
Collossal. That's two hours of my life I'll never get back. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4694 on: May 01, 2017, 10:21:02 AM »
The Prestige. First time watching it since its release. Still excellent.

Batman vs Wolverine: Return of Magic

;D

Yeah, an excellent movie, I wholeheartedly agree.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4695 on: May 05, 2017, 01:15:41 AM »
Finished my Alien marathon last night and am now ready for Covenant!

Alien - A brilliant movie from start to finish and my favorite out of all the Alien films.

Aliens - Used to be my favorite, but watching it again now I noticed a few things just puts it just a hair below the first. Still, this is a damn good movie.

Alien 3 - I don't mind this one. There are some really strange stuff in there that I don't really like, but there are some cool stuff too. Very mixed bag, but I can still sit through it without being too bored. Some distractingly wonky CGI though.

Alien: Resurrection - This is a bad movie to the point of being an enjoyable watch. For some reason they thought that making a funny Alien movie was a good idea. One positive though is that the aliens themselves had never looked better.

Alien vs Predator - I actually like this one. It's not great or anything but it's perfectly fine.

Aliens vs Predator: Requiem - Yeah, ended up watching this too since it's been a while. This is also a bad movie, but without Resurrection's benefit of being bad in a funny way. This is just a boring, teen drama, suburban, B movie. The teen drama also has absolutely nothing to do with the actual plot, it's completely useless and doesn't lead anywhere.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4696 on: May 05, 2017, 05:35:12 AM »
Alien- I love

Aliens- I love

Alien 3- Had a lot of potential, but it got goofed with by by the studio. So I will give its issues a pass. I've seen both cuts and still, its not one that I am going to come back to on a regular basis. Bottome line, its got my boy charles Dance. Hell yeah

Resurrection- Feels like a sunday afternoon, sci fi channel tv movie. Didn't need to happen, doesn't bring anything really new to the table, but at the same time. It doesn't do anything offensive Imo. So it just kind of exists. And they killed off my other boy Michael Wincott way too early.

*** Didn't see the AVP movies

Prometheus- Damien lindeloff destroyed what could have been a coherent and well developed script by Jon Spaihts. Many people don't know that there was a script written and ready to go that made logical sense from beginning to end, and explained much more. The studio freaked out since the guy didn't have a lot of experience and brought in "Mr. Lost" and then he turned the world upside down and gave us a film that to this day (after seeing it 3 times), reading countless articles and watching hours of explanation videos, I don't have the slightest clue whats going on. And that really bothers me. Prometheus is all over the place. In contrast, I saw Alien when I was 8 and it made perfect sense. And at age 29, I put it on and it still makes sense. My grandparents watched it and it made sense to them. Its just competent story telling.

But on a happy note, it looks jaw dropingly gorgeous and of course, it has my boy Idris Elba, and he survives through out most of the movie  :metal

Covenant- I am ready to love it, and I will be there on day one. I am freaking out and can't wait.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 08:57:43 AM by Phoenix87x »

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4697 on: May 05, 2017, 08:48:41 AM »
Oh, right, somehow forgot about Prometheus, which was the movie I saw before posting that. I like Prometheus, first time it made very little sense but from the moment it ended I always thought "that's alright, there'll obviously be more, so we don't need to understand everything right now". Maybe the new movies won't explore all the things Prometheus set up, that would be a bit sad. Because on its own, yeah, it's pretty confusing. I do think I have a general grasp on what's actually happening though and am able to enjoy it. I think this is the third best of all the movies.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4698 on: May 05, 2017, 11:41:48 AM »
Doctor Strange. I had zero expectations going in because I wasn't familiar with the character. Another solid Marvel movie 3.5/5.

Mads Mikkelsen was great as the villain though seeing him made me miss hannibal more.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Devin Townsend

« Reply #4699 on: May 06, 2017, 03:48:56 PM »
Mrs. Peregrin's home for Peculiar Children.  I enjoyed it.

Not a bad movie!  :tup

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4700 on: May 06, 2017, 03:52:18 PM »
It's on my list of movies to see.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4701 on: May 06, 2017, 04:10:24 PM »
Doctor Strange. I had zero expectations going in because I wasn't familiar with the character. Another solid Marvel movie 3.5/5.

Mads Mikkelsen was great as the villain though seeing him made me miss hannibal more.

It's an ok movie. Better than Iron man 2 and Thor...Not as good as Ant Man..Just another example of a great actor having nothing to do. Mads is just sort of...there...The big bad is that god thing

at the end...

I just saw Guardians Of The Galaxy 2. Pretty good I thought. A slight step down from the first one. Great visuals if a little green screen heavy - and good jokes. Dave Bautista is

an amazing comic actor.

EDIT : Oh yeah and [ SPOILER ]

I thought the de-ageing on Kurt Russell was by far the best  i've seen so far. I actually forgot for a moment that's not how he looks now.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:28:02 PM by Kotowboy »

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4702 on: May 07, 2017, 02:07:33 AM »

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #4703 on: May 08, 2017, 08:22:42 PM »
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 01:42:17 PM by The Trooper »

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4704 on: May 09, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »
Saw the indie horror movie "The Void" the other day. That was pretty fun. Lots of practical creature effects, in style of body-horror movies from the 80s. Clearly inspired by movies like The Thing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4705 on: May 09, 2017, 01:43:03 PM »
The void was pretty cool.

Surprisingly, not that bad

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4706 on: May 10, 2017, 03:47:35 PM »
Guardians of the Galaxy 2, If you liked the first one you'll like this one. My only real complaint is that some of the jokes in the first half hour or so felt forced.

Also Michael Rooker and Kurt Russell were fantastic. Not that there's such a thing as a bad Rooker performance.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4707 on: May 11, 2017, 08:05:47 AM »
Not that there's such a thing as a bad Rooker performance.
No kidding.  That guy is cinematic gold.  One of the more reliable actors working today.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4708 on: May 11, 2017, 12:43:05 PM »
Margin Call.   Great flick in my opinion and a really strong cast for my taste.  Reminds me of living through those days and the performances of Paul Bettany and Kevin Spacey were spot-on I thought.  Might watch it again tonight.

Also watched Lincoln (on and off last night before and after Fargo and during commercials... how good is that show btw)... I had really forgotten how good that movie is and how much I liked  Daniel Day-Lewis as an actor.  Made me want to watch There will be Blood.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4709 on: May 11, 2017, 02:56:59 PM »
From Paris with Love.

It's both a funny and wacky action thriller (first half) and serious action thriller (second half). I thought it was an excuse to show off John Travolta's character, but all in all it turned out a pretty decent and very enjoyable movie!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4710 on: May 11, 2017, 03:19:09 PM »
No kidding.  That guy is cinematic gold.  One of the more reliable actors working today.

I still wouldn't shake his hand.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4711 on: May 11, 2017, 03:21:58 PM »

i like you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4712 on: May 11, 2017, 03:34:20 PM »

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #4713 on: May 11, 2017, 05:26:27 PM »

Chocolate covered pretzels will never be the same

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4714 on: May 12, 2017, 04:57:29 PM »
Alien Covenant.

Expected it to be better than Prometheus.

It isn't.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4715 on: May 12, 2017, 09:57:51 PM »
It must be really fucking awful to not even match up to Prometheus.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4716 on: May 12, 2017, 10:39:31 PM »
Alien Covenant.

Expected it to be better than Prometheus.

It isn't.
Well that's disappointing. :-\

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4717 on: May 12, 2017, 10:42:43 PM »
So far the reviews I've been hearing have been "It's good. Not amazing. Not great, but good. First half is basically a retread of Alien and the last third or so is a retread of Aliens with a super predictable ending"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4718 on: May 13, 2017, 01:09:21 PM »
It must be really fucking awful to not even match up to Prometheus.

Ugh the first half is so slow and boring and plodding and just all around wtf is this ? Even more wannabe intelligent dialogue about God and Man...

Second half is all action but at like three times the speed you want.

Everything is just over so quickly.

There's a huge plot hole at the end...

SPOILER

They lure the Xenomorph into a bay and trap it in a vehicle so they can jettison the vehicle into Space. However - the human characters are wearing magnetic/gravity boots so they're

already stuck to the floor. What they should have done is lure it in there - and just opened the massive airlock right there and then. It didn't need to be trapped in some vehicle...

The decompression pulls two huge vehicles out into space. I'm sure a little Alien monster would have gone instantly. Sigh. More bad writing.

I was genuinely bored for most of it and I wasn't bored during Prometheus.

So far the reviews I've been hearing have been "It's good. Not amazing. Not great, but good. First half is basically a retread of Alien and the last third or so is a retread of Aliens with a super predictable ending"

Oh the twist ending you see ten miles off. I was literally waiting for it....

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4719 on: May 14, 2017, 09:21:49 AM »
Crimson peak. Typical Del Toro ghost movie that was really misadvertised. If you enjoyed The Devils Backbone and Pans Labyrinth you'll probably like this. 3.5/5
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4720 on: May 14, 2017, 06:47:17 PM »
Lost Highway: This was one hell of a mindfuck, but a great one. I really liked the atmosphere and use of industrial music, really fitting. 4.5/5
Requiem for a Dream: Fuck, this was crushing. For some reason I like these sort of character studies in which people are slowly driven insane, like in a downward spiral. Excellent acting and music too. 4.5/5

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4721 on: May 14, 2017, 07:35:33 PM »
Requiem for a Dream: Fuck, this was crushing. For some reason I like these sort of character studies in which people are slowly driven insane, like in a downward spiral. Excellent acting and music too. 4.5/5

Now that is one hell of a movie. God damn. 

Ass to ass. Keith david doesn't mess around

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4722 on: May 14, 2017, 09:57:10 PM »

I didn't just let it out for air.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4723 on: May 15, 2017, 05:28:08 AM »

Yeah, that is some scene.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4724 on: May 15, 2017, 06:09:45 AM »
Requiem for a Dream is the best movie I've ever seen and not felt compelled to ever watch again :lol
Photobucket sucks.