Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 560794 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #4655 on: April 22, 2017, 12:31:03 PM »
Was he desperate to fall behind it?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4656 on: April 22, 2017, 02:56:49 PM »
After that shit I just had to rewatch The Last Samurai. Damn I love that movie, one of my all time favorites.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #4657 on: April 22, 2017, 05:37:27 PM »
The Departed for the 100th time. Movies don't get better than this

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #4658 on: April 22, 2017, 09:27:55 PM »
The Last Samurai. Damn I love that movie, one of my all time favorites.

yes, definitely Tom Cruise's best performance

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4659 on: April 22, 2017, 09:41:52 PM »
The Departed for the 100th time. Movies don't get better than this

I love that movie, but I do wish the ending had bit different.  The first two hours is so awesome, though, that I can forgive the last 20 or so being not as great as I would have hoped.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4660 on: April 23, 2017, 06:29:28 AM »
Speaking of Tom Cruise, we finally saw Jack Reacher last night.  Lots of cool stuff happening, but I don't think I ever figured out exactly what the hell the story was.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4661 on: April 24, 2017, 12:47:35 AM »
The Elephant Man: Oh boy, this was really a beautiful film in many senses, but also a disturbing one. Just right in the feels. 4.5/5

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #4662 on: April 24, 2017, 04:03:20 AM »
Sand Castle on Netflix. I really liked it. One of the better war movies I've seen in recent years.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4663 on: April 24, 2017, 06:55:10 AM »
Watched Real Steel over the weekend. I don't care what anyone says. That's a really fun movie through and through.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4664 on: April 25, 2017, 02:17:24 AM »
Leon, The Professional. As with the other Luc Besson movie recently seen, The Fifth Element, it was the first time ever. Yup, I have many voids in my filmography I'm trying to fill  :D

And my comment is the same as for The Fifth Element: I understand now why that movie is so famous and well regarded after all these years, and how it was Natalie Portman's breakthrough. Excellent!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4665 on: April 25, 2017, 03:47:27 AM »
Speaking of Luc besson

Here's goes his new movie film trailer  (valarian) looks pretty neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BszXhUjJz00

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4666 on: April 25, 2017, 06:29:56 AM »
Nevermind.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4667 on: April 25, 2017, 06:46:35 AM »
Jack Reacher

Enjoyable.  I've read a few of the books over the last six months, so I finally watched the movie.  Aside from the physical difference of Reacher being a massive, intimidating guy vs. the stature of...Tom Cruise, it was a good movie.  I'll wait for the second one to hit TV as well.

Online faizoff

« Reply #4668 on: April 25, 2017, 07:07:41 AM »
In the Loop. By the author of Veep.

Another political satire, going back and forth between London and Washington, after seeing three seasons of Veep it's blatantly clear that the director (showrunner) is the same, but still it's damn funny. So many one liners full of swear words, cynical attitudes and royal mess-ups, it's one big comedy sketch after another. Brilliant!

Being a huge fan of Veep, had to check this out and you're right I can see several areas where Veep was inspired from. Heck the movie is based on the show The Thick of it which I really want to check out now seeing how that movie was hilarious.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4669 on: April 25, 2017, 09:21:40 AM »
In the Loop. By the author of Veep.

Another political satire, going back and forth between London and Washington, after seeing three seasons of Veep it's blatantly clear that the director (showrunner) is the same, but still it's damn funny. So many one liners full of swear words, cynical attitudes and royal mess-ups, it's one big comedy sketch after another. Brilliant!

Being a huge fan of Veep, had to check this out and you're right I can see several areas where Veep was inspired from. Heck the movie is based on the show The Thick of it which I really want to check out now seeing how that movie was hilarious.

The Thick of it is worth watching for Peter Capaldi alone.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4670 on: April 25, 2017, 10:21:25 AM »
Anything written by Armando Iannucci is usually comedy gold.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4671 on: April 26, 2017, 07:54:50 AM »

I'd say The Thick of It is funnier than VEEP.  But VEEP has a more consistent story.

The production history of The Thick of It is a total mess.  6 Episodes in 2005 - split into two series of 3 episode each.   Came back in 2007 with 3 Specials with a new lead minister (lets just say the original actor did something naughty...).   A further series in 2009 of 8 episodes (probably the shows peak) also got the film 'In the Loop' in 2009 as well.    Then a final series in 2012 of 7 episodes.

Anything written by Armando Iannucci is usually comedy gold.

True.  Also The Thick of It had Jesse Armstrong working on it too, he created 'Peep Show' which is one of the greatest comedies ever IMO.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:00:31 AM by soupytwist »

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4672 on: April 26, 2017, 09:11:46 PM »
Just Re-Watched Alien in anticipation for the new one. Next up is Aliens, Alien 3 (assembly cut) and Prometheus. I'm just going to skip all the other ones lol.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4673 on: April 27, 2017, 12:04:46 AM »
Working my way through the Oscar nominees for Best Picture, and last night was Fences.

I enjoyed it. Denzel did a really good job and the dialogue was really good. I could tell it was a play first though because of the nature of the dialogue... it just had that feel to me.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4674 on: April 27, 2017, 08:59:16 AM »
Just Re-Watched Alien in anticipation for the new one. Next up is Aliens, Alien 3 (assembly cut) and Prometheus. I'm just going to skip all the other ones lol.

I should probably do that too, it's been a while since I've seen them and I am a massive Alien fan.

I'll probably see Resurrection too though, just for the lols. Maybe even AvP 1, just because I liked it as a kid. Don't think I'll bother with AvP2.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4675 on: April 28, 2017, 01:08:01 AM »
I think Alien V Predator is better than Resurrection but i've no intention of seeing AVP2

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4676 on: April 28, 2017, 09:07:54 AM »
It's really uninteresting in every way so you're not missing anything. From what I remember, it's not as actively bad as Resurrection, but Resurrection is at least unintentionally funny. AvP2 doesn't even have that going for it.

But yeah, AvP is better than both of them.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4677 on: April 28, 2017, 09:54:34 AM »
The original Predator is just a classic in every sense.  The whole premise of the movie does a 180 degree change from what it starts off as and what you assume it would be and it works perfectly.  Top three Arnold movie for me.

Now going back to sequels from a few pages back......Predator 2 on the other hand lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4678 on: April 28, 2017, 03:17:49 PM »
Ocean's Eleven.

Yeah, I'm on a roll in my "Seeing movies that the entire universe has seen but me" list. I liked it, especially how the plan was clever but not "We have to insert double and triple twists and utterly complicated sheaningans" clever. They had a plan, they managed to execute it and outsmart everyone, and they did it.

I was almost about to make a joke "If Tarantino would have directed this, everyone would have died" but then I realized that's the actual plot of Reservoir dogs  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4679 on: April 28, 2017, 03:56:48 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4680 on: April 28, 2017, 04:06:50 PM »
The first one

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4681 on: April 28, 2017, 04:09:10 PM »
I love the first oceans film of the new ones. Thoroughly enjoy the unpopular sequel and really didn't like 13 as it felt like they knee jerk reacted to the criticism of 12 and basically remade 11.

The original was really good as well.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 04:26:04 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4682 on: April 28, 2017, 04:09:51 PM »
The first one

Dean Martin was terrific in that movie.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4683 on: April 28, 2017, 04:22:31 PM »
 Well, yeah. It's Dean Martin.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4684 on: April 28, 2017, 04:55:11 PM »
13 is my favorite. 12 is my least favorite.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4685 on: April 29, 2017, 09:48:28 PM »
Red Rock West 4/5

Crazy Dennis Hopper is the best Dennis Hopper
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4686 on: April 30, 2017, 06:14:18 AM »
American History X

I like this movie quite a bit. My only criticism is that it is a little over the top in places, acting wise. But besides that, its solid

And I can not watch it without thinking about national lampoon's vacation  :lol
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 06:19:20 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4687 on: April 30, 2017, 09:15:05 AM »
That's a great movie. It's long overdue to be watched again. I wonder if it's on Netflix or Amazon video.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4688 on: April 30, 2017, 09:19:21 AM »
Came out just before Fight Club and Ed Norton looks pretty built in AHX and like a scrawny dweeb in Fight Club.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4689 on: April 30, 2017, 09:28:10 AM »
A year apart. It's not that hard to lose 20-30 pounds to look scrawnier.