Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 561006 times)

Offline ChuckSteak

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #4340 on: March 11, 2017, 07:36:45 AM »
JHC, dude.  It's a DISCUSSION forum.  It would be pretty boring if we all just said I like this movie or I don't like that movie without any elaboration or discussion.
Well, I am discussing right now. :)

Yes, it is a discussion forum, but that doesn't mean you have to discuss everything. Most of the posts on this thread are "I like this movie" and "I don't like this movie". The only elaboration you will see is "I like this actor, it is awesome, the production is incredible, etc."

I don't understand the reactions about my reaction. If it had been a movie that nobody cared about, I don't think nobody would have said anything. Just like nobody said anything when I rated The Conversation 1/10. But pick a recent, oscar-nominated movie that most people liked and then everybody reacts...  ::)

Almost as if it is unacceptable that I didn't like the movie, when it is just a movie. It is ok not to like it and ok not wanting to debate  the reasons.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4341 on: March 11, 2017, 08:13:53 AM »
It's only because you took a shot at a simple innocent question like he was attacking you.

Trust me Hef just didn't like a movie a really dug, (The Nice Guys) I asked and he told me why.  No defensiveness.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4342 on: March 11, 2017, 12:01:21 PM »
I can understand giving it 5/10 because that would mean you just didn't care for it, not really disliking it but just not liking it. But 2/10 means that you specifically disliked it, which I don't understand since I don't really see what someone would actively dislike about the movie since it was very competently made. That active dislike interested me and so I wanted to know your reasons.

But by all means, don't tell me. Sorry for hurting your feelings.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4343 on: March 11, 2017, 12:07:06 PM »
I can understand giving it 5/10 because that would mean you just didn't care for it, not really disliking it but just not liking it. But 2/10 means that you specifically disliked it, which I don't understand since I don't really see what someone would actively dislike about the movie since it was very competently made. That active dislike interested me and so I wanted to know your reasons.

But by all means, don't tell me. Sorry for hurting your feelings.

That's how a lot of people rate things these days. "Liked it = 10/10" "didn't like it = 3/10" or something similar. You'd have to be totally ambivalent about a movie to give it a 5/10. I don't agree with it, but that's how I see it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4344 on: March 11, 2017, 12:29:20 PM »
I haven't seen any of the movies that were nominated for best picture

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4345 on: March 12, 2017, 01:39:28 PM »
I've finally seen Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Pretty good! They didn't hamfist too many Harry Potter references in there, the movie can stand on its own. Maybe 5 movies leading to the war in the wizarding world are overkill, but if they can keep up the quality, they will be fun to watch.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4346 on: March 12, 2017, 03:53:36 PM »
Saw both Kong: Skull Island and John Wick 2 this weekend. Nobody will be talking about either of those movies in film classes 50 years from now, but they were both a lot of fun, particularly the latter :tup
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4347 on: March 13, 2017, 05:31:02 AM »
Saw The Shack last night with Mrs.Jingle.  I'm not an overly religious guy, so some of the messaging was laid on pretty thick, but overall a pretty good movie. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4348 on: March 13, 2017, 11:50:14 AM »
That active dislike interested me and so I wanted to know your reasons.
Exactly.

But whatever dude.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4349 on: March 14, 2017, 05:45:33 PM »
American Splendor starring Paul Giamatti.

Ehhhh. Ive seen that now I guess ?

5/10. Started out ok. Got bored by the end. Didn't care how it finished.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4350 on: March 14, 2017, 07:03:28 PM »
Best Picture doesn't mean automatic masterpiece. Some past winners and nominees make me question their basis for comparison.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4351 on: March 14, 2017, 08:06:50 PM »
Took the boys to see KONG, Skull island. They loved it and had a great time.

I on the other hand can recognize a complete waste of an opportunity to do something cool, which is what this movie was. If not for John C. Rileys character I might have fallen asleep. And even that character couldn't save that atrocity of a movie.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #4352 on: March 14, 2017, 11:02:01 PM »
I just watched Hacksaw Ridge too and was largely meh about it. It really felt like a completely rote, by-the-numbers Oscar bait film. It's not bad, but you can practically see the producers and director checking each requisite topic and plot beat off of a list.
1. It's a period piece. 2. It's a war film. 3. It's a biopic. 4. Main character faces adversity for some strongly held belief. 5. Also, there's some love story involved, because of course. 6. Main character does heroic thing and others reassess their opinion of him and his strongly held belief.
It's well directed, though a bit overly dramatic at times, and well acted, though Vince Vaughn is also in it. I don't think I hated it, but I'm not sure I'll ever think about it again.

Also, I just watched Deliverance for the very first time. You know, the "Squeal like a pig!" movie. I went into it expecting to be disappointed considering how hyped by pop culture it has been over the past 40+ years since it, but it was actually really good. I like how the film remains ambiguous regarding certain things that happen. It was just a very tense, well acted, well directed, well-written film that deserves its spot in pop culture history. It drags on a little bit near the end, but otherwise, it has a real purdy mouth.

Since Jurassic Park was just added to Netflix, I decided to watch that for the first time in a long, long time. It's still one of the most perfect, fun summer blockbuster type movies ever made.

On the other side of the coin, The Lost World is what happens when you suck all the fun and excitement out of Jurassic Park. You're just left with a kind of dumb movie. Even Ian Malcolm can't do much to save it. It almost feels like the studio wanted a Jurassic Park sequel but didn't quite know how to get there so they got Crichton to write one and said, "Well, how about we add TWO T-Rexes into this movie? And we need to have more Velociraptors in it too. Oh, and Jeff Goldblum was really popular so make him the star. Oh, he died in the first book? Well, will a big wad of money bring him back to life?" Just more, more, more without any real idea of what made the first one so successful and it also has Vince Vaughn.

At least it's still better than Jurassic World, which is not saying much I guess.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4353 on: March 14, 2017, 11:57:24 PM »
The Lost World is actually my favorite of the Jurassic Park movies. Always loved that one. Although the gymnastics bit is pretty shit, but other than that I really like it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4354 on: March 15, 2017, 04:19:33 AM »

I on the other hand can recognize a complete waste of an opportunity to do something cool, which is what this movie was. If not for John C. Rileys character I might have fallen asleep. And even that character couldn't save that atrocity of a movie.

Really... Damn, I loved it.  Then again, I laid my expectations on the floor so I could step over them walking into the theater.  $6 eye-candy is all I expected, and got it in droves.  It was like Commando + Planet of the Mutant Animals.  Plus, Brie Larsen in a cotton tank-top for the entire movie certainly didn't hurt ... nor did the Forest Gump quality soundtrack.

Cheesy in some parts?  Sure.  Some other 'as-if!' moments too... but overall, jingle.son and I liked it plenty.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4355 on: March 15, 2017, 06:31:23 AM »

Really... Damn, I loved it.  Then again, I laid my expectations on the floor so I could step over them walking into the theater.  $6 eye-candy is all I expected, and got it in droves.  It was like Commando + Planet of the Mutant Animals.  Plus, Brie Larsen in a cotton tank-top for the entire movie certainly didn't hurt ... nor did the Forest Gump quality soundtrack.

Cheesy in some parts?  Sure.  Some other 'as-if!' moments too... but overall, jingle.son and I liked it plenty.

I thought that ensemble of cast was vastly underused. If I had gotten one more close up of Sam Jacksons eye I was gonna gouge my own out. Just seemed like they missed a chance to utilize the talent they had.

The CGI was fantastic and the action scenes were cool....I was turned off by the wasted talent. I think i was expecting more than i should have.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4356 on: March 15, 2017, 06:40:09 AM »

Yeah I never go into the cinema *expecting* to love something. I just go in for a couple of hours of entertainment.

I don't like going to see a film - and the people you're with immediately start picking at all the holes the second you leave.

Only time I go and see a film expecting to hate it is the few times my bro and I have gone to see something we *know* will be shit - just for the fun of it -

- like Total Recall 2012 and Die Hard 5.

Even then we go in with an open mind. I actually really enjoyed RoboCop 2014.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4357 on: March 15, 2017, 07:16:05 AM »
Warcraft.

I spent a couple of years playing World of Warcraft (up to Lich King).  So I had quite a good understanding of the world and characters, and quite frankly Im glad I did.  It's not an awful movie, but it does feel very much like a prolong to something much bigger (which it technically is).  My wife who has never ventured in the virtual world of Azeroth hated the film and found it really confusing!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4358 on: March 15, 2017, 07:35:59 AM »
The Legend of Tarzan

Decent action movie, but didn't really keep my interest.  The wife liked shirtless Alexander Skarsgard, and at least I got a scene where Margo Robbie had to wade through a river and ended up with wet clothes.   :biggrin:

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4359 on: March 15, 2017, 07:38:31 AM »
Watched Moana and Dr. Strange over the weekend. Moana was fantastic and a truly beautiful movie. Dr. Strange was good but one of lesser favorites in the MCU.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4360 on: March 15, 2017, 07:44:33 AM »
I can't believe I find myself in agreement with Kotow.  :lol  I too loved Total Recall reboot.  Robocop... didn't hate it, but it was pretty mediocre.

Hell, I enjoyed Battleship for what it was.  :dunno:  Eye candy expectations are sometimes a good thing.

@ Gary... I agree, much of the cast was under-utilized in relation to their abilities/talent.  But, they portrayed the roles they were given quite well.  Not enough Mutha-fucka's from SLJ tho.  I kept waiting for "I'm sick of all these mother fucking animals on this mother fucking island".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4361 on: March 15, 2017, 08:18:57 AM »
I just watched Deliverance for the very first time. You know, the "Squeal like a pig!" movie. I went into it expecting to be disappointed considering how hyped by pop culture it has been over the past 40+ years since it, but it was actually really good. I like how the film remains ambiguous regarding certain things that happen. It was just a very tense, well acted, well directed, well-written film that deserves its spot in pop culture history. It drags on a little bit near the end, but otherwise, it has a real purdy mouth.

Yeah, Deliverance is a fantastic film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4362 on: March 15, 2017, 09:52:46 AM »
I can't believe I find myself in agreement with Kotow.  :lol  I too loved Total Recall reboot.  Robocop... didn't hate it, but it was pretty mediocre.

Hell, I enjoyed Battleship for what it was.  :dunno:  Eye candy expectations are sometimes a good thing.

@ Gary... I agree, much of the cast was under-utilized in relation to their abilities/talent.  But, they portrayed the roles they were given quite well.  Not enough Mutha-fucka's from SLJ tho.  I kept waiting for "I'm sick of all these mother fucking animals on this mother fucking island".

I'm saying we hated TR2012 & Die Hard 5. :p

We just went to see them for fun cause we knew they'd be terrible. :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4363 on: March 15, 2017, 10:29:08 AM »
Ok, well then back to normal.  We agree to disagree.   :lol

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #4364 on: March 15, 2017, 11:01:57 AM »
Really? The Total Recall reboot? Wow. That movie was so completely unmemorable, which is like the exact opposite of the original. Say what you want about yhe cheesy original, but Ahnold + Michael Ironsides + Robny Cox + Verhoeven-style ultraviolence = instant brain candy.

It wasn't even interesting enough to be funbad, just regurgirated and bland.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4365 on: March 15, 2017, 11:09:03 AM »
To each their own.  I liked the modernization of it; liked how they combined the Ironsides/Stone characters into one; thought they did justice to the overall pursuit of Quaid/Houser.  Plus, Beckinsale and Biel are 2 of my Top 10 celeb crushes... so there's that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4366 on: March 15, 2017, 11:23:10 AM »
I felt that where the Robocop remake was affectionate towards the original and wisely did it's own thing

for the most part...

Total Recall 2012 stuck two fingers up to the original and changed all the well known scenes.

Even going as far as slyly alluding to them - then doing something else.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4367 on: March 15, 2017, 11:38:19 AM »
Watched Moana and Dr. Strange over the weekend. Moana was fantastic and a truly beautiful movie.

I did not care for Moana at all. It felt so sappy that I kept sighing and rolling my eyes throughout the entire movie.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4368 on: March 15, 2017, 07:20:58 PM »

Also, I just watched Deliverance for the very first time. You know, the "Squeal like a pig!" movie. I went into it expecting to be disappointed considering how hyped by pop culture it has been over the past 40+ years since it, but it was actually really good. I like how the film remains ambiguous regarding certain things that happen. It was just a very tense, well acted, well directed, well-written film that deserves its spot in pop culture history. It drags on a little bit near the end, but otherwise, it has a real purdy mouth.

I was really disappointed in that movie that first I saw it. I was in my early 20s and smack dab in the middle of my phase of watching modern (at the time) action flicks, so something like Deliverance just wasn't in my wheelhouse at the time.  I saw it again years later and really enjoyed it.  If it's on TV, I will usually leave it on.  It really is a damn good film.  The dream at the end when the hand rises out of the water still freaks me out.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4369 on: March 15, 2017, 07:55:03 PM »
John Wick (the first one)

Recorded it off of FX, so edited for basic cable, but the basic story of course remained intact.  I actually never bought Keanu as a badass before.  Not as Neo, not as Johnny Utah.  But this was really, really good.  Keanu sells it.  Now I want to see the second one, but since we're broke as fuck, it'll have to be when it comes round to cable, too.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4370 on: March 15, 2017, 08:41:52 PM »
I just watched Deliverance for the very first time. You know, the "Squeal like a pig!" movie. I went into it expecting to be disappointed considering how hyped by pop culture it has been over the past 40+ years since it, but it was actually really good. I like how the film remains ambiguous regarding certain things that happen. It was just a very tense, well acted, well directed, well-written film that deserves its spot in pop culture history. It drags on a little bit near the end, but otherwise, it has a real purdy mouth.

Yeah, Deliverance is a fantastic film.

I could never get into that movie. I watched it and was majorly disappointed, so I gave it another shot a couple of years later and still didn't see the big deal about it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4371 on: March 15, 2017, 08:50:31 PM »
Same

I thought it was ok, but had no interest seeing it again.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #4372 on: March 15, 2017, 11:49:35 PM »
I actually wasn't too fond of Hacksaw Ridge.. I didn't hate it or anything, but first and foremost I'm not a huge fan of Garfield (although I did like him in 99 Homes playing off Michael Shannon), so that obviously had an impact. But mainly I though it was extremely cheesy until the obvious scenes that cannot be cheesy. But the actual story outside of the war itself was very cringe-y to me at times. I enjoyed some of it and really didn't like some of it so it came out to an "eh" at the end. But I'm definitely confused about the awards.

Then again...I'm confused about the utter vast majority of awards these days.

I also saw Doctor Strange and was pretty disappointed by it. Granted, I had a lot more hype for it than most and I was mainly watching for the story and it ended up being a CGI wankfest. Which is cool! Don't get me wrong, totally awesome seeing that. But I thought it also had a lost of potential that got blown away in the wind. Started off fantastic and kind of degraded, I thought. As a lot of others have said, it was also really disappointing to see yet another throwaway villain, especially one such as awesome as Mads' character. Really cannot get enough of Mads. One thing they did fantastically was the balance of humor and action/drama. "Mister Doctor..."  "Strange..."  "Yes, I suppose it is" *fight scene*  :rollin :lol Overall though I did enjoy it, just had my hopes too high I guess. I'm really looking forward to the expanse of that universe multiverse though and some more depth to the character.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4373 on: March 16, 2017, 03:15:32 PM »
I haven't seen this yet, but it looks pretty cool. The belko experiment. Its basically a two hour version of the boats scene from The Dark knight, but what would actually happen.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZNfwayNLL0

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4374 on: March 17, 2017, 08:35:51 PM »
Beauty and the beast, it was quite enjoyable, very well made and choreographed and visually stunning. Hadn't seen the animated movie in forever so I didn't recall several story parts.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan